As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

QUIT POSTING IN ME

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Suriko wrote: »
    Why aren't radscorpions, giant radscorpions, bloatflies and radroaches affected by the Animal Friend perk?

I regret taking this stupid perk now.

Because they're insects.

Which are part of the animal kingdom.

Couscous on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Bretzy wrote: »
    Rizzi wrote: »
    I'm thinking about getting Fallout 3.. But I heard the Ps3 version has some terrible FPS issues.
    Any idea if they're going to try and fix them with a patch, or will I be stuck with a lackluster version of a game.
    Again.

The PS3 version is great. The only drawback is the fact that you need to turn off notifications, otherwise the game will pause for a second or 2 every time someone signs in or out. Other than that, I have had no issues at all and I am on my 3rd play through.

Cool. I guess I'll pick this up then. :whistle:

Rizzi on
  • Options
    NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    Suriko wrote: »
    Why aren't radscorpions, giant radscorpions, bloatflies and radroaches affected by the Animal Friend perk?

I regret taking this stupid perk now.

Because they're insects.

Which are part of the animal kingdom.

To be fair the perk does mention exactly what animals are included in the perks definition of animals.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah I thought it'd be a cool perk...then I read closer and realized that the times I actually come across dogs and molerats I could give a crap if they're hostile or not. Yao Guais are a bit different, but are semi-rare and managable all the same. And I've only had a Brahmin attack me once in my entire first playthrough.

...so yeah, neat at first glance but really not worth it.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    I only took it because none of the remaining perks available seemed worth anything.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Mods make this game so much better.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    What are some mods that are out?

Couscous on
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I only took it because none of the remaining perks available seemed worth anything.

When in doubt, Intensive Training...

If for one reason or another you have no reason for that, then yeah I can see your point I guess. But wooh, I'd rather have every creature in the world pissed off at me at that point.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Balance mods.

Want me to drum up some of the ones I use?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Balance mods.

Sure.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Balance mods.

Sure.
    http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=547 VATS Normal Weapon Degradation
    Normally in VATS your weapon degrades four times faster than normal. That's kinda dumb.

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=161 VATS MCE
    "VATS Manual Chance Evaluation is a slight revision of the standard VATS accuracy formula which will put a much greater emphasis on your weapon skill and the base accuracy of your chosen weapon rather than simply the distance to your target.
    As a small bonus it will lower the VATS zoom factor and remove the nonsensical wear VATS used to apply to your weapon."

It basically allows you to use your Sniper Rifle in VATS as a fucking sniper rifle.

IF YOU WANT THE GAME TO BE HARDER
    http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=79 Made by our own Mumblyfish, STRANGER Mod

I don't think it's compatible with MCE, so don't use them together.

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=311 "Smurf" Impact Physics Mod

Allows you to alter people flying around like ragdolls. I preferred the "real" setting.

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=138 Falling Damage Mod

Now you don't die by falling a story!

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=432 Hundred Fists
    Because completely unarmed taking more AP than having spiked knuckles on is dumb.

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=43 MTUI
    A much better and cleaner and bigger interface.

I also have some texture/armor mod things, but my 64-bit processor seems to dick with them.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Some other interesting mods:

Killable Children / Play as a child mod
    http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=376

QZ Traits... adds some traits back into the game
    http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=593

Free play after the main quest is over... uh, spoiler alert. Kind of.
    http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=586

No lost karma for stealing, if you care about that
    http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=546

A character generator spreadsheet... not a mod, but I've seen people asking for one
    http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=544

Most of these are just from the "latest files" section, too. No idea how much awesome crap there might be if one just digs around a bit.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I want a steampunkish lightsaber so I can go slaughter little lamplight

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Just find your happy place

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    hahaha then I get to take their limbs back to my home in tenpenny tower

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

The shishkabob is pretty close!

I just got the pyromaniac perk, and I am a killing machine. I hit against most raiders, 2 for super mutants.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm playing through with a small guns / lockpick / sneak character, it's pretty fun. Things are a lot less tough when you take their arm off with a crit sneak attack before they even know you're around.

Sergeant RL-8 seems like a pretty awesome companion, though I've had to reload a couple times when it's been blasted to smitherines by a lucky missile launcher hit. I love how much stuff it can carry.

Repair is good but I spent my first perks on that +5 repair + 5 small arms perk (maxes out at +15/+15 I think) which has kept my weapons working quite well on top of the base repair skill. Now I'm maxing out science and then big guns / repair / energy weapons (in that order.)

I'm glad I got RL-8 when I did, I had good karma but apparently had been moving markedly towards a darker path by the time I picked him up. Now the game seems well aware that I'm quite evil. It's odd to have gone through a game and been attacked both by talon mercs and regulators, without intentionally arranging things as such.

Schematics are great, I love the railway rifle and nuka grenades. Rock-It launcher is alright but I find that I have so much ammo that it's more of a hassle to load the thing and use it than to use other weapons.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Just finished. So.....
    Game developers just don't like making full and/or comprehensive endings these days, do they? I mean, I was content with the choices I'd made, but having the ending entirely decided within the last 30 seconds, after 40 hours of gameplay? Really?

But maybe I'm just jaded and tired. I guess half the time I play to enjoy the ride, anyways. :lol:

Other than that (and the fact that you can't keep playing after finishing the story), I have to say that this was one of the best games I've played in awhile.

Hell with "oblivion with guns," I want "oblivion IN SPACE" now.

Antithesis on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Felt great to: (Tenpenny Tower)
    Let the ghouls in. I fucking went on a shooting spree. Fucking bigoted assholes.

urahonky on
  • Options
    PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The two things that I really would have liked near the end game (or in the main story at all) would have been:
    a) A way to just say "screw it" to the purify water solution. Especially after dad tells you how disappointed he is that you destroyed Megaton. Well fuck you dad, maybe I don't give a shit about cleaning the title basin, go hire mercenaries if you want grunt labor.

and b) some sort of challenging fight. Outside of the odd unexpected deathclaw or sentry bot there weren't any fights that felt as tough as the end fights in the other fallouts. I just wanted something that made carrying all those weapons around at level 20 worth it, especially with a giant robot to solve all my problems for me.

PsychoLarry1 on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ego wrote: »
    Repair is good but I spent my first perks on that +5 repair + 5 small arms perk (maxes out at +15/+15 I think) which has kept my weapons working quite well on top of the base repair skill. Now I'm maxing out science and then big guns / repair / energy weapons (in that order.)

The +5/+5 is one time only. If you want more you have to spend more perks on additional ranks in it. None of the skill boosting perks are really worth it imo. Far simpler to just take a decent INT stat and the +3 skill points per level perk as soon as it opens up.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Without giving me any spoilers, where's a strapping lad like myself find some purified drinking water to help out the needy?

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Without giving me any spoilers, where's a strapping lad like myself find some purified drinking water to help out the needy?

Robo-butler is an endless supply. Alternatively look in those wooden crate/box thingys. It's scattered all over the place.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Robo-butler is an endless supply. Alternatively look in those wooden crate/box thingys. It's scattered all over the place.

Ooo, I didn't even think to ask my kick-ass butler.

AuburnTiger on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Level 5 Dignitary, bitches. Light side for life, yo. 8-)

Damn, this settler came up to me and she was all "I want you to have this, it's the least I could do for all you've done."

Man, she only had a few rounds of ammo. I almost teared up.

AuburnTiger on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

Damn, this settler came up to me and she was all "I want you to have this, it's the least I could do for all you've done."

The slavers in Paradise Falls do the same thing if you're evil. I keep expecting them to give me a severed head or a child or something.

freakish light on
  • Options
    mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

The slavers in Paradise Falls do the same thing if you're evil. I keep expecting them to give me a severed head or a child or something.

Its the most awesome thing, the tone of voice when they do it - its like they're afraid of you just turning around and gunning down every single man and woman in that gutted shopping mall, just for sneezing wrong.
    I totally did.

mrsnackroad on
  • Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You know what is horrifying? Sneaking through the Deathclaw Warrens only to have your Stealth Boy run out of power as you begin to make the trek back to the entrance. I did get out, but it's not something I ever want to repeat.

I'm also gearing up for my pacifist playthrough of Fallout 3, and I can so far think of only one person/creature/robot you absolutely must kill to progress; the radroach during the tutorial. Though I will be dodging Galaxy News Radio because
    you've got to kill a Behemoth
    , I can't think of any other moment that you can't just sneak past, even
    Vault 87
    . It'll also help that I'm not aiming for any particular alignment, so in all likelihood I'll end up either neutral or slightly evil. :lol:

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Its the most awesome thing, the tone of voice when they do it - its like they're afraid of you just turning around and gunning down every single man and woman in that gutted shopping mall, just for sneezing wrong.
    I totally did.

Hi5!
    I'm just sad my evil character can't really do the same thing. Too much happy Karma which exposes one of the flaws with AI morality systems. If I'm ending the lives of 20 people simply because I didn't like the way they looked at me it doesn't make it "good" just because they happened to be slavers damnit. :P

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm just sad my evil character can't really do the same thing. Too much happy Karma which exposes one of the flaws with AI morality systems. If I'm ending the lives of 20 people simply because I didn't like the way they looked at me it doesn't make it "good" just because they happened to be slavers damnit. :P

Completely agree. Like when I go to Tenpenny Tower and I see
    a bunch of unhappy swine drunks, drowning themselves into an alcoholic stupor in order to forget the horrors of the wasteland while everyone else just deals with it. Killing them all in their sleep is a just a humane way of ending their pathetic existence for them. Hell, they hate being alive so much I'm practically doing them a favor. I don't really see why this makes my character a bad guy. If anything it should count as a good deed, since I'm helping some fine chaps move into the tower that seem to be making the most of life.

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Completely agree. Like when I go to Tenpenny Tower and I see
    a bunch of unhappy swine drunks, drowning themselves into an alcoholic stupor in order to forget the horrors of the wasteland while everyone else just deals with it. Killing them all in their sleep is a just a humane way of ending their pathetic existence for them. Hell, they hate being alive so much I'm practically doing them a favor. I don't really see why this makes my character a bad guy. If anything it should count as a good deed, since I'm helping some fine chaps move into the tower that seem to be making the most of life.

Oh moral relativity. Further proof that games don't need a good/evil meter- they need an actual impact into the world they create.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I've noticed something. Couldn't you theoretically get unlimited purified water from your butler and sell it for unlimited caps? I haven't tried it, so maybe there's a limit.

14 hours in and only Level 5. I'm not exactly burning through the quests or XP. :P

AuburnTiger on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I've noticed something. Couldn't you theoretically get unlimited purified water from your butler and sell it for unlimited caps? I haven't tried it, so maybe there's a limit.

14 hours in and only Level 5. I'm not exactly burning through the quests or XP. :P

Your butler will provide some purified water before he needs to recharge his condensation collectors. I never timed how long it took, but it's about a day or so. I wouldn't sell the water though; unless you're doing something odd, you should have enough caps and miscellany to purchase anything you want. Money is rarely a problem in Fallout 3, which is why I would avoid Fortune Finder and Scrounger like the plague. Makes things a little too easy. :P

Also, once the modding tools get released, I hope that someone fixes Infiltrator and Computer Whiz. They're so useless that it's painful.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    D00MD00M Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So the Deathclaw Warrens sound fun for a lvl 20 guy with the Terrible Shotgun, Where is it near?

Also I've never come across the Dartgun, is it really that good?
    Because I was kinda disappointed with the Railway rifle, Doesn't seem too good at long range.

D00M on
    D00M66.png
  • Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The dart gun is amazing against Deathclaws and pretty useless against most anything else. It instantly cripples both of the targets legs 100% on hit and does a negligible amount of damage. Turns Deathclaws into big ol' limping teddy bears.

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    PhoneBonePhoneBone Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Your butler will provide some purified water before he needs to recharge his condensation collectors. I never timed how long it took, but it's about a day or so. I wouldn't sell the water though; unless you're doing something odd, you should have enough caps and miscellany to purchase anything you want. Money is rarely a problem in Fallout 3, which is why I would avoid Fortune Finder and Scrounger like the plague. Makes things a little too easy. :P

Also, once the modding tools get released, I hope that someone fixes Infiltrator and Computer Whiz. They're so useless that it's painful.
    As soon as I finish it, I'm starting a new character and this time I'll be able to do things the 'right' way.
    There are so many perks I wouldn't have picked in hindsight.

I did pick scrounger and I've got enough ammo to take over a small country. Fat man's, missiles, MF cells.
    It's awesome, but does take the challenge away. If you're taking out mole rats with missiles, just for the hell of it, you have too many missiles.

I picked up the main quest after putting around 70 hours into the game. For people who finished the game, how far am I from finishing the main quest?
    I've just had power armor training and am on my way to vault 87. I've already died once at the high level of radiation, because I didn't realise I was getting too close to the vault

PhoneBone on
    dansig.gif
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Re: PhoneBone Main Quest
    Vault 87 is one of the last areas; probably like 3/4 done. You get into Vault 87 by going through Little Lamplight. You can't get to it from aboveground.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    D00M wrote: »
    So the Deathclaw Warrens sound fun for a lvl 20 guy with the Terrible Shotgun, Where is it near?

Because I was kinda disappointed with the Railway rifle, Doesn't seem too good at long range.

If by "fun" you mean "horrible rape" then yes, the Deathclaw Warrens are great fun.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    D00MD00M Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    D00M wrote: »

If by "fun" you mean "horrible rape" then yes, the Deathclaw Warrens are great fun.

See, the game tricked me at first with Deathclaws because I took my first out at the War Memorial with no problem, the head just popped off. And then later I met the half injured one with the Deathclaw schematics nearby which again was no bother.
    Then I reach Old Orkney and get surrounded by 3 of them asking for my lunch money :shock:

I found the Old Orkney sewers a lil easier with Bottlecap Mines though.

So where are the Warrens?

D00M on
    D00M66.png
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Evergreen Mills:
    So was that mega-super-mutant supposed to stay in his cage while I shot him with my 10mm pistol? Seemed kind of sad, really

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.