As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 4E - OOC] Silent Horizon

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Martial Freedom is a feat that gives me a +5 to saving throws against slowed and immobilized conditions.

Inquisitor on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Nice.

Ghoul-Needle Nurses must have really ticked you off. :P

Incenjucar on
    edited November 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Nice.

Ghoul-Needle Nurses must have really ticked you off. :P

Haha, they were a little annoying. Just, as a defender, I need to be able to get where my team needs me.

Inquisitor on
    edited November 2008
    Yes.

It should prove a useful ability.

Especially nice for a Polearm user since you'll be that much harder to avoid.

Incenjucar on
    edited November 2008
    Vincent's updated sheet:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=89771

Swapped: Hunter's Bear Trap for Hunt's End and Crucial Advice for Ferret an Opening.

Inquisitor on
    edited November 2008
    Nice. Anyone come up with any replacement people, or should we start picking someone from the forums?

Incenjucar on
    edited November 2008
    Nice. Anyone come up with any replacement people, or should we start picking someone from the forums?

My friend should asking a friend of his soon, if he remembers, like I keep yelling at him about.

But, we shall see.

Inquisitor on
    edited November 2008
    We aren't lacking for people L4G on the forums, I'd just prefer known quantities before unknowns if available.

Incenjucar on
    edited November 2008
    Hm, I can't seem to connect with this new version.

Inquisitor on
    edited November 2008
    Casual_Eddy has expressed interest and a lack of Sunday distractions, so if the current attempts fail he will be first on the invite list.

Also Greeper WTF

Incenjucar on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sorry I popped out early. My connection went to shit.

Goose! on
    edited November 2008
    Goose! wrote: »
    Sorry I popped out early. My connection went to shit.

It was good gaming with you while it lasted, anyways.

Maserati is, of course, going to have a Kruthik burrow under him in the middle of the night and burst through his chest.

Incenjucar on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I kinda wanted him to go out while tearing through 8 bad guys or somethin :P

Goose! on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My book will be here on tuesday. Any suggestions for some light reading for a complete D+D noob?

Casual Eddy on
    edited November 2008
    My book will be here on tuesday. Any suggestions for some light reading for a complete D+D noob?

Well, for starters, we should probably get you a character sheet. :P

I can either make one for you with some guidelines, or you can just borrow an existing character with a level added on until you've had a chance to learn the system and make your own character.

With character creation, stats are of course important, but they're not especially complicated. You just grab what makes sense for your character and make sure they can hit often enough to do stuff. Also you'll want to look ahead a bit to make sure you can grab the feats you want.

Race is a much bigger deal in this edition. Races are more powerful, get abilities that are always useful and can get even better with feats, and get access to special feats, class features, magic items, and so on.

Combat is very different in this edition. You get a Standard Action, a Move Action, and a Minor action every normal round. A minor action can be traded in for a minor action, and a standard action can be traded in for a Move or Minor action. Standard action is where most of your combat is, Move action is obvious, and Minor actions are for things like Sustaining abilities, drinking potions, or tossing around certain special abilities. There are also "Immediate Interrupts" and "Immediate Reactions." One happens before and one happens after a specific event, and are mostly from Opportunity Attacks, which are usually caused by creatures trying to move away. To move away from an opponent safely, you usually have to give up your entire move action to move a single square, which is called a "Shift." There are also Free Actions, which you can do all you want within reason. Up to once per encounter, you can also use an Action Point. Early on, this just gives you an extra Standard action so you can lay down some serious hurt, save a buddy, run away, or whatever. There are also Healing Surges and such, which basically means you can heal yourself once an encounter without a cleric or a potion. It works out really nicely.

Abilities are mostly broken up into "At-Will" "Encounter" and "Daily" powers. At-Will powers you can use any time you have the right action available (which will usually be a Standard action). Encounter powers you only get once per encounter, and Daily powers only once per day. Magic items fall under a similar setup - you can only use multiple magic item Daily powers if you've done a lot of encounters in the day, which is also how you generate more Action Points. The specific powers vary between the classes, but every class gets the same number of class powers, give or take. Wizards have powers but also Fighters have powers, and they all function on the same system. Ass-Kicking and Setting People on Fire uses the same rules. It's really really really great in practice. Retraining is also a standard thing, so if you don't like how an ability works out, you can switch it later on.

You can customize the hell out of characters now, though the mechanics tend to run in favor of classic setups. But wizards can wear plate armor or carry shields just fine. Also, casters tend to have Impliments, like wands and staves and orbs and holy symbols, which act like magic weapons for their spell attacks.

Classes are also broken up into general roles, though not strictly.

Defenders (Fighter, Paladin) are your standard tanks, but instead of MMO-style hate generation, they keep bad guys aimed at them by giving them a to-hit penalty and fucking them up if they target someone else without also targeting the defender.

Strikers (Warlocks, Rogues, Rangers) are DPS/Debuff. They have to be more cautious than Defenders, but they can drop some serious pain.

Leaders (Clerics, Warlords) are Support/Healing. But now they get to attack while doing most of what they do, rather than just sitting combat out. Also Warlords focus on giving everyone extra actions and tricks more than healing. It's not just about bandaids in either case.

Controllers (wizards) are about AOE and control. Basically they murder weaklings en masse and keep the tougher opponents right where the rest of the party wants them. They're not as insanely powerful as in older editions, but they're still so goddamn powerful if you know what you're doing. Currently wizard is the only controller option, but we'll have at least one more next year, and there's enough variety in them anyways.

At the moment, we have a definate opening for either a Defender or a Striker. Extra Leaders or Controllers would be less ideal. However, depending on WTF is up with Greeper, Controller may be open as well. But we definately need a Defender or Striker.

Incenjucar on
    edited November 2008
    If you want help building a character or anything eddy, just PM me your AIM or something and I'll hop on and help you out with any questions. <3

Inquisitor on
    edited November 2008
    I'd love that, my AIM is listed in my profile

Casual Eddy on
  • frank as fuckfrank as fuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Muaha. I am going book shopping now.

frank as fuck on
    edited November 2008

Hope you have like a bookstore coupon or something.

Incenjucar on
  • frank as fuckfrank as fuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008

Hope you have like a bookstore coupon or something.

My impulsiveness demands I pay full price for this, just this once. I will buy everything else cheaper. Oh well.

frank as fuck on
    edited November 2008
    I paid more than I had to for the Draconomicon. Just think of it as trying our best to keep the Brick and Mortar stores around a little while longer. <3

Incenjucar on
    edited November 2008
    Anyways, here's Rass, unless someone can point out a glaring problem:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=94482

Once she goes back to being purely an NPC, I make no promises towards consistancy. Also, no giving away her gear.

Incenjucar on
  • GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    alright here's how it is...

I'll be around for tonight's game :D

*hidez unexplained absencez*

Greeper on
    edited November 2008
    I will not be around, I'll be getting my book sometime this week

Casual Eddy on
    edited November 2008
    All the more reason for some Rass-mataz.

Incenjucar on
    edited November 2008
    Oh, and uh...Vincent won't be able to make it tonight.

He has to work, but it's his last day at there ever...so, he kinda couldn't get the shift moved around or covered.

Inquisitor on
    edited November 2008
    Ahahahahahahaha

Incenjucar on
    edited November 2008
    Ahahahahahahaha

Of course, I'm totally willing to run his dude.

Inquisitor on
    edited November 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Ahahahahahahaha

Of course, I'm totally willing to run his dude.

I'm telling you man.

I am marrying five women.

Just so this never happens again.

Incenjucar on
    edited December 2008
    Hey psst.

What were those magic items I got at the end of the last adventure again?

I kinda forget :(

Greeper on
    edited December 2008
    Staff of Ruin +1 (+1 hit, +2 damage, +1d10 crit), Robe +1

Incenjucar on
    edited December 2008
    I think Lekiun's handling of the bridge was a classic solution for someone with 20 int and 8 wis.

Greeper on
    edited December 2008
    I agree.

Especially the "Fireball the unnatural river" part. :P

Incenjucar on
    edited December 2008
    hey so uh

i don't have a computer and unless i find a cyber cafe that is open until midnight on a sunday I will not be joining you

Casual Eddy on
    edited December 2008
    hey so uh

i don't have a computer and unless i find a cyber cafe that is open until midnight on a sunday I will not be joining you

:(

I hope you figure something out but, such is life.

Inquisitor on
    edited December 2008
    Sorry for troubles, Eddy. :(

--

Next game will be on January 4th. I've got to do some family things this holiday since I'm leaving the state next year.

Incenjucar on
    edited December 2008
    alrighty

i will surely be computerized by then. just lemme know what I missed.

Casual Eddy on
    edited January 2009
    Hope you all had a good holiday season.

Everyone showing up this Sunday?

Incenjucar on
    edited January 2009
    Hope you all had a good holiday season.

Everyone showing up this Sunday?

As far as I know, yes for me and Vincent.

Inquisitor on
    edited January 2009
    not sure as of yet

turns out insurance will probably cover my computer minus the deduct but we won't hear for sure until monday. I'm actually heading home tomorrow afternoon so I won't have any computers to borrow.

it's possible I'll be able to buy one tomorrow or today but I'm not sure at this point.

Casual Eddy on