As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Beach house rental for college students?

ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
My friends and I are graduating in the spring, and we want to find a nice, quiet spot where we can hang out together during the week before the commencement ceremony. We want a beach house, but predictably, we're having an absolute hell of a time trying to get one. Most homeowners consider anyone under the age of 30 to be a roving demolition team, much more a bunch of 21-22 year olds. And then there are things like "New Jersey law," which apparently (says one owner) prohibits anyone under 21 on the premises without an "adult"/"parent" around - which sounds like bullshit, but what do I know about Jersey law?

This is incredibly frustrating, as my friends and I are pretty typical nerds: we have 0-2 drinks each at our shindigs, play a lot of Settlers of Cataan and Carcassonne, and think a "hardcore party" involves cranking up the volume a few bars higher than normal when playing Rock Band. We're not the types who will accidentally burn the deck down. Hell, most of these guys are too law-abiding to go above the speed limit.

What can/should we do? I've seen plenty of people pull this off in the past, but I don't know how. Do we need to get one of our parents involved, promise a larger security deposit, lie about our age or what? We're afraid of falsifying too much, as we don't want to give the homeowners reasons to evict us...

3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
ChopperDave on

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Have you tried the old word of mouth method? You and your friends should all talk to all your parents and contacts (professors, employers, whatever) who might know someone who might own such a place.

I know my family would never consider renting our summer place to a bunch of 21 year olds, unless we knew them or their family, or friends of their family who could vouch for them. You and your friends could very well be the cleanest living people in the world, but strangers are going to be more concerned with protecting their property.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    What can/should we do? I've seen plenty of people pull this off in the past, but I don't know how. Do we need to get one of our parents involved, promise a larger security deposit, lie about our age or what? We're afraid of falsifying too much, as we don't want to give the homeowners reasons to evict us...

Most these options were bad ideas. If you get parents involved, and it works, it will probably be with the owner believing they will actually BE THERE to take responsibility. Lying about THIS, OR your age will leave you wide open on liability in the event something actually does happen. The larger security deposit may help, especially if you leave part of it open as non-refundable to assauge an owner's fears. And most people who pull this stuff off usually know the people through at LEAST one connection that own the place.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I went to high school in NJ, and everybody rented beach houses to party the weekend of senior prom. Places like Seaside Heights, you can get rentals for prom/senior week, but it's usually
    1. about twice as expensive
    2. need references/parent co-sign if under 25
    3. they won't give something nice to a group of young people, and all the people renting nearby will be drunk obnoxious high schoolers

Besides Seaside, check out Wildwood/N.Wildwood, Brigantine, and Ocean City. But keep in mind that you will be competing with every high school senior in NJ, and no one is going to believe that a group of single guys are looking for just a quiet place to hang out. Have you considered camping or renting a cabin?

Pure Din on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Forget anything in Cape May County from Ocean City all the way down to Cape May. I'm from Cape May and can tell you a) it will all be out of your price range and b) will require someone over 21 at the bare minimum for a hotel, 25 for a home with pretty strict limits about how many people will be there. Any place that would rent to someone under 25 is going to be a hole on par with where the European and Asian kids who work on the Piers live.

VisionOfClarity on
  • NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Just grab a hotel room and hang out at the beach and have a bon fire or whatever.

NotYou on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    A bon fire on the beach in NJ will get you arrested, they're highly illegal.

VisionOfClarity on
  • NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    yikes, that sucks. No big deal here in California.

NotYou on
  • ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Pure Din wrote: »
    I went to high school in NJ, and everybody rented beach houses to party the weekend of senior prom. Places like Seaside Heights, you can get rentals for prom/senior week, but it's usually
    1. about twice as expensive
    2. need references/parent co-sign if under 25
    3. they won't give something nice to a group of young people, and all the people renting nearby will be drunk obnoxious high schoolers

Besides Seaside, check out Wildwood/N.Wildwood, Brigantine, and Ocean City. But keep in mind that you will be competing with every high school senior in NJ, and no one is going to believe that a group of single guys are looking for just a quiet place to hang out. Have you considered camping or renting a cabin?

Renting a cabin or a lakehouse or whatever would be fine. As long as there's electricity, a nice enough TV for video games, a few beds and a kitchen, I think the guys and girls in my group will be satisfied. We're shooting to keep the rental fee under $2300, but I guess we can deal with a bit more.

Are there any good local websites for the areas you've mentioned? I've been using cyberrentals, but I think the listings on that site lean far more towards the "family-oriented" than others. Also, if there are any areas that are less of a pain in the ass for college renters than Jersey Shore but are still near Massachusetts, I'm open to suggestions.

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Allow me to introduce you to Craigslist.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.