As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MotW 11/129/2008 - Nothing Important Happened Today

13»

• KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think that's actually mentioned in a specific issue of X-Factor, isn't it? That if he's holding a bomb and just duplicates himself over and over again that he could easily be an enormous threat.

KyleWPeterson on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    He could be the world's only professional suicide bomber, at the very least.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

Nitro.

Bloods End on
    edited November 2008
    But Nitro's an amateur.

I mean, he did get taken down by the New Warriors.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think that's actually mentioned in a specific issue of X-Factor, isn't it? That if he's holding a bomb and just duplicates himself over and over again that he could easily be an enormous threat.

It's a plot point of the story: Hydra attempts to hold him hostage to force him to do just that. In response, he creates an endless amount of dupes, suffocating the crowd of hydra in the room.

Awesome guy.

mattharvest on
    edited November 2008
    But Nitro's an amateur.

Human Bomb

Bloods End on
    edited November 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »
    But Nitro's an amateur.

Human Bomb

More like "who-man?" "bombed" because no one knows about him and he sucks.

durandal4532 on
    edited November 2008
    I'm pretty sure the Human Bomb is awesome, and you're terrible.

Wait let me check.

Yup, science backs me up here.

Bloods End on
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

It's a plot point of the story: Hydra attempts to hold him hostage to force him to do just that. In response, he creates an endless amount of dupes, suffocating the crowd of hydra in the room.

Awesome guy.
    Because it's awesome and I happen to have some scanned images uploaded already from ages ago, the scene in question:
    X-Factor_015_016.jpg
    X-Factor_015_017.jpg
    X-Factor_015_018.jpg
    X-Factor_015_019.jpg

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    edited November 2008
    Multiple Man you need multiple therapists.

durandal4532 on
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The dupes can make duplicates from themselves too, right? And he uses kinetic energy to make them. Then why are bullets effective? I remember a bunch of dupes being shot and dying, like the near-omniscient super detective version of Madrox. It shouldn't have happened.

TeaSpoon on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Because duplication doesn't absorb kinetic energy. You hit him in the head with a baseball bat, you're going to make a duplicate, but you're also probably going to crack his skull.

All things considered, bullets also don't have a whole lot of kinetic force behind them, although I have no idea where they fall on the scale of 'stamping a foot is enough.'

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    *Sigh* I suppose the energy required for duplication comes from the same source as the power needed to regenerate flesh, create optic beams, and throw metal around. Thermodynamics be damned.

TeaSpoon on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    *Sigh* I suppose the energy required for duplication comes from the same source as the power needed to regenerate flesh, create optic beams, and throw metal around. Thermodynamics be damned.

Because comics are well known for their strict interpretation of the laws of thermodynamics

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
    edited November 2008
    TeaSpoon wrote: »

Well, that's part of the point of that sequence: the woman asks "how is that remotely possible?" We don't know.

We do know, however, that he's not a mutant: he's an earlier evolution to powers (as is the other guy in X-Factor who can duplicate). Besides, as noted, there are dozens if not hundreds of mutants over the years who seemingly violate conservation of energy/mass.

mattharvest on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    *we do know, however, that he's not a mutant: he's an earlier evolution to powers (as is the other guy in X-Factor who can duplicate).

explain, please.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    *we do know, however, that he's not a mutant: he's an earlier evolution to powers (as is the other guy in X-Factor who can duplicate).

explain, please.
    Before House of M, they were going through how Mutants don't really develop their powers until puberty, and those that show them from birth (Madrox, Nightcrawler, etc) aren't really mutants and basically all of that was dropped after House of M.

Fencingsax on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »

explain, please.
    Before House of M, they were going through how Mutants don't really develop their powers until puberty, and those that show them from birth (Madrox, Nightcrawler, etc) aren't really mutants and basically all of that was dropped after House of M.

Except X-Factor didnt launch until after House of M so you are dead wrong

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »

explain, please.

Except X-Factor didnt launch until after House of M so you are dead wrong

DEAD wrong. Like, you just died.

But yeah, that was a bit after HoM. I'm pretty sure they idea is that they're still mutants - just a different kind.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited November 2008
    Tryp is still around, that storyline will be revisited I'm sure.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    explain, please.
    One of the defining traits of mutants is that their powers manifest around puberty. So how do you explain Nightcrawler and Madrox, who exhibited powers from birth? They were explained as being changelings, an earlier, and now much rarer instance of mutant occurence, because ye olde days, when you popped into this world looking like a blue-skinned devil, you probably didn't live that long.

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited November 2008
    when did this 'changeling' concept come about, under what writer, and how did it have significance to the characters affected?

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited November 2008
    The significance is that it explains why mutants like Jamie and Kurt had powers since birth, rather than manifesting them later in life. Don't know about the rest.

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited November 2008
    my bad, better phrased: why did they feel the need to explain why they had powers since birth when they chose to do so? Did it serve a purpose story-wise?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2008

Actually, there's a manga called Akumetsu that deals with this concept. It's not bad, but I don't like the dialog.

A duck! on
    edited November 2008
    my bad, better phrased: why did they feel the need to explain why they had powers since birth when they chose to do so? Did it serve a purpose story-wise?

It started to, with Tryp, but hasn't gone anywhere yet. It appears that the whole Skrull Invasion demanded story-attention, and after that Endangered Species/Messiah storylines popped up.

It's possible this will be one of those "Nightcrawler/Azazel" things, but we don't know.

The general point of it though was to solve a pretty glaring continuity error: literally since the first X-Men comics, we were told the powers only emerged at puberty, and we were never given an explanation for mutants like Nightcrawler, Madrox or more importantly En Sabah Nur or Namor who had their mutations since birth. By suggesting that they're not x-gene mutants but rather a parallel branch of evolution, a potentially fascinating set of stories was opened. Apocalypse in particular should care a great deal about this, since whether a power emerges at birth or puberty would have serious implications for "survival of the fittest".

mattharvest on
    edited November 2008
    Has Kurt been able to teleport since birth? I thought he was just a regular mutant and his physical appearance has more to do with who his parents were (although I am all in favor of anything that renders the Draco storyline out of continuity)

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Has Kurt been able to teleport since birth? I thought he was just a regular mutant and his physical appearance has more to do with who his parents were (although I am all in favor of anything that renders the Draco storyline out of continuity)

I'm not sure about his teleportation but he definitely had super human dexterity since birth.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited November 2008
    yeah but again that has more to do with his unique anatomy which could be explained by his non-human heritage.

The teleportation thing was his actual mutant power I thought?

It's hard to say though since Chuck Austen fucked him up so badly

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    yeah but again that has more to do with his unique anatomy which could be explained by his non-human heritage.

The teleportation thing was his actual mutant power I thought?

It's hard to say though since Chuck Austen fucked him up so badly

Well, Azazel and his people - the angels and the demons - were just supposed to be mutants, too (as is Mystique, Nightcrawler's mother). Austen wasn't re-writing the mutant concept.

However, the X-Factor arc depicting this new race (I forget if they have a name...pre-mutants?) would imply that Azazel and his people would be the same.

mattharvest on
    edited November 2008
    I think it's safe to say that in 10 years Kurt will have been a mutant who turned into a teleporting demon-looking thing at puberty.

He will not be the son of fucking Mystique and El Diablo god that was dumb. I mean it's like someone took "his *bamf* things smell like sulfur" and just ran with it.

durandal4532 on
    edited November 2008
    I think Tryp referred to them as changelings

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    I think it's safe to say that in 10 years Kurt will have been a mutant who turned into a teleporting demon-looking thing at puberty.

He will not be the son of fucking Mystique and El Diablo god that was dumb. I mean it's like someone took "his *bamf* things smell like sulfur" and just ran with it.

Does nightcrawler still travel through mephisto's hell dimension while he's teleporting?

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited November 2008

Does nightcrawler still travel through mephisto's hell dimension while he's teleporting?

Not if I have anything to say about it.

What's the classic example? "The Flash got his powers from a genie"?

durandal4532 on
    edited November 2008

I thought it was the Dark Dimension (which isn't Mephisto's hell), the same place Blink goes.

mattharvest on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008

Not if I have anything to say about it.

What's the classic example? "The Flash got his powers from a genie"?

Pants, fast, etc

Me Too! on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I thought it was the Dark Dimension (which isn't Mephisto's hell), the same place Blink goes.

I didn't think Blink went anywhere, there certainly isn't the lag that Nightcrawler has in his teleports.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Vanisher uses the same dimension as Nightcrawler, I remember that much. I think quite a few teleporting types do.

About the whole Changeling thing, I hope they get back into it after Secret Invasion. Same with why Madrox's dupes now act so unpredictably. It's been all setup and no payoff so far, presumably thanks to getting roped into tie ins.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg