As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ocarina Of Time Ten Years Today

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    The previous Link is the the one who trains you with new moves in TP.

That's a nice theory, but when in the Zelda series have there ever been someone with armor looking even close to that of the ghost?

Personally, I'd like to see a game set in Hyrule that isn't a Legend of Zelda game, where you get to play as various Hylians, Dekus, Gorons and Zoras. I think it could be cool.

Peewi on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited November 2008
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    Anyone saying Zelda doesn't have steampunk elements is going to have to explain the hookshot, the magnet boots, and a great deal of the Gorons to me.
    Magic.

Opium on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    10 years ago I was 19 and playing pc games.

august on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Opium wrote: »
    Anyone saying Zelda doesn't have steampunk elements is going to have to explain the hookshot, the magnet boots, and a great deal of the Gorons to me.
    Magic.
    I can't tell if you're sarcastic. It's a nice bit of sarcasm if you are.

If you're not, those things are precisely and inherently unmagical and very real, which is why they need reconciling.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Magic.

I guess the bombs and cannons are magic too, then. How about Linebeck's ship? Also magic?

Also, I feel like I need to correct Flippy: No Zelda game has magnet boots. They're iron boots that sticks to magnetic surfaces. Calling them magnet boots make them sound like they're attracted to all iron.

Peewi on
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hum.

That actually sounds cool.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Peewi wrote: »

That's a nice theory, but when in the Zelda series have there ever been someone with armor looking even close to that of the ghost?

Personally, I'd like to see a game set in Hyrule that isn't a Legend of Zelda game, where you get to play as various Hylians, Dekus, Gorons and Zoras. I think it could be cool.

he pretty much says he used to be "the hero." After all, he passes on the signature "hero" move that only "the heroes" know :P

I could see it being Link. When Link comes out of the temple of time, he's...what....16? 17? There's still a lot of potential growing to be done.

Guek on
  • Options
    guarguar Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Guek wrote: »

he pretty much says he used to be "the hero." After all, he passes on the signature "hero" move that only "the heroes" know :P

I could see it being Link. When Link comes out of the temple of time, he's...what....16? 17? There's still a lot of potential growing to be done.

I thought it was suggested that Link never returns from Termina, thus leading to WW. Though I guess there are branching timelines, so it is possible.

guar on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Graviija wrote: »
    arod_77 wrote: »
    Right. After all Twilight Princess didn't suffer from a repetitive nature or anything--why change a thing?
    Nobody said "don't change a thing". Nintendo has said the next game is going to be significantly different from other 3d Zeldas.

Next game is Loz: Celestial Snowboard

All of hyrule is on an incline and the game is played with the wii fit board. When you reach the bottom an owl carries you back to the top.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    guar wrote: »

I thought it was suggested that Link never returns from Termina, thus leading to WW. Though I guess there are branching timelines, so it is possible.

The important thing is that the move trainer basically has an adult version of the Deku Shield that Link uses as a child in OOT. And he's the only person in the series that has ever used that shield. If it was a standard 'hyrule' shield it wouldn't be important, as loads do.. but the Deku sheild only Link uses.

We all know the timeline is fucked. But what DO we know? We know that OOT is the first in the series in ANY Zelda timeline. We know that Wind Waker & Phantom Hourglas are (so far) the last entries in the series, and to an extent 'follows' OOT.

We also know that the some games in the series come one after another like OOT into MM and WW into PH. But other than that the entire timeline is fucked. I'd say the move tutor in TP is definitely the hero from OOT, though, from the talk of being 'the hero' to the deku shield and everything else.

Other timeline things - I love, love the idea of Link never returning from Termina, ending up trapped there, meaning he isn't there to stop Ganon, causing the Great Flood. Fucking love it. However, the presence of a hero in TP and the presence of what is probably the OOT hero's spirit in the form of the move trainer makes this idea not work as well..

Before Twilight Princess I was dreaming of and hoping for a dark Empire Strikes Back ending, with Link and Ganondorf fighting it out atop some Hyrule Castle as the flood started, pouring in around them, engulfing the land. Perhaps after the boss fight is over Link gets struck down, and the flood continues and stops Ganondorf.. I so, so wanted that ending. :( Not very Nintendo, though, I guess.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited November 2008

The important thing is that the move trainer basically has an adult version of the Deku Shield that Link uses as a child in OOT. And he's the only person in the series that has ever used that shield. If it was a standard 'hyrule' shield it wouldn't be important, as loads do.. but the Deku sheild only Link uses.

We all know the timeline is fucked. But what DO we know? We know that OOT is the first in the series in ANY Zelda timeline. We know that Wind Waker & Phantom Hourglas are (so far) the last entries in the series, and to an extent 'follows' OOT.

We also know that the some games in the series come one after another like OOT into MM and WW into PH. But other than that the entire timeline is fucked. I'd say the move tutor in TP is definitely the hero from OOT, though, from the talk of being 'the hero' to the deku shield and everything else.

Other timeline things - I love, love the idea of Link never returning from Termina, ending up trapped there, meaning he isn't there to stop Ganon, causing the Great Flood. Fucking love it. However, the presence of a hero in TP and the presence of what is probably the OOT hero's spirit in the form of the move trainer makes this idea not work as well..
    You are killing this thread.

Opium on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Plenty of people have constructed Zelda timelines that make perfect sense, but I won't post any, because some people can't stand others discussing the Zelda timeline.

EDIT: I can see that Opium is one of those people.

Peewi on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well, I don't think it's that much to want a more in-depth narrative in a Zelda game and across the series as a whole. That's one of my problems with the series. The story of TP really failed to grip me (except for a few key moments) where the stories of OOT, WW, MM and did, and did well.

I dunno. I do yearn for a proper story in Zelda. I like some of the ideas they have semi-established and talked about in interviews - the idea of many different adventures across one timeline, multiple Links and Zeldas fighting the same, immortal Ganon. It's a cool idea, and it provides a great road towards stuff people have been talking about in this thread as you can watch the world change from game-to-game. It's a very different idea to other games, where they churn out endless sequels with the same characters.

In Zelda, they should literally do one or two games with each 'iteration' of Link and Zelda, and refresh every other character outside of the core Link/Zelda/Ganon group. It allows for each game to be exciting and fresh but also familiar. Another game which has me excited with a similar formula recently is Lost Odyssey - because several of the main characters are immortal, I'm excited at the prospect of a sequel as I hope it'll be set a few hundred years in the future, with the same locations drastically changed and all the other main characters long dead and buried (but perhaps with the echoes of their deeds still showing.) It's things like this that made Chrono Trigger so exciting, except in the case of Zelda it'd happen across a series rather than one game.

I don't necessarily think Zelda should go steampunk (though it already has steampunk elements), but one of the most exciting moments for me in Wind Waker was when I got down to Hyrule Field underwater. Even though you're boxed into a relatively small area, you can see the entrances to a lot of the areas from Ocarina, and it was strangely exciting. I love stuff like that. And that idea of multiple adventures with different people on the same timelines allows for a reboot of NPCs and the world and pretty much everything but Ganon, while also remaining in-keeping with the old mythos.

I think trying to make sense of the entire Zelda timeline is foolish; like trying to place the Mario games into a timeline - especially for the older games, there just isn't one. But there are threads of plot and elements in the new games from LTTP onwards which are clearly designed to make a narrative through the series. Unfortunately, every time Nintendo moves to connect one set of dots they seem to disconnect another.

One thing that I ponder is why the TP plot grabbed me so much less than OOT, as they have nearly identical ingredients..

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Back to what I was saying before.

I am not one of those people who thinks Zelda needs to be "updated" or "changed." Nor am I a purist who thinks if they don't put Link in a green cap that they've lost the essence of Zelda. If they made the next Zelda in a distant future with flying cars, link with a green hooded jacket and a hook-shot that was more like the grapple beam It would be awesome and I would play the hell out of it. If they made a Zelda that was "steam-punk" I would play the hell out of that too. If they kept Zelda exactly where it is and keep the story unfolding I will play the hell out of it a million times.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    yeah, regardless of what direction they decide to go, I am incredibly excited for the next wii zelda game. i just hope nintendo doesn't let us down when they've promised us a paradigm shift.

Guek on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    yeah, regardless of what direction they decide to go, I am incredibly excited for the next wii zelda game. i just hope nintendo doesn't let us down when they've promised us a paradigm shift.
    That's one of the best things about Nintendo - they pretty much get everything right on the first try. 3d platformers? Mario 64 is still one of the best. 3d adventure? Many claim OoT is still the best game of all time. 3d Metroid (which was essentially its own genre)? Metroid Prime is just fucking incredible.

I have no worries about the quality of the next Zelda, nor that it will be significantly different that orevious iterations.

Graviija on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    That's one of the best things about Nintendo - they pretty much get everything right on the first try. 3d platformers? Mario 64 is still one of the best. 3d adventure? Many claim OoT is still the best game of all time. 3d Metroid (which was essentially its own genre)? Metroid Prime is just fucking incredible.

Online games?

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    BlueBlue wrote: »

Online games?

Oh no he di-int

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Online games?

MKW is awesome. Only thing that kills it are the cheaters.

also JUS and Club House Games are some of the most fun I've ever had online.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Online games?
    Oh aren't you a smartypants. :P

We all know the problems Nintendo has had with the online system and community. I was talking about games, which I'd like to think are a bit more important.

Graviija on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Online games?

We all know the problems Nintendo has had with the online system and community. I was talking about games, which I'd like to think are a bit more important.

DDR: Mario Mix? The virtual boy? Even nintendo makes mistakes sometimes.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Online games?

I'm aware of that.

Ok, let me clarify - when it's come to revamping their major franchises (Mario, Zelda, Metroid), Nintendo has yet to screw up. I'm referring to the entries into the main series - not Mario Baseball, Metroid Prime Pinball, or Link's Crossbow Training (then again, LBC was awesome). Which is why the examples I listed were of the major revisions in the respective game franchises. I'm not talking about the consoles themselves are the features of those consoles.

Everything clear there?

Graviija on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Plenty of people have constructed Zelda timelines that make perfect sense, but I won't post any, because some people can't stand others discussing the Zelda timeline.

Fudge them!

Based on the evidence provided by the games and too much free time I think that Wind Waker is actually pretty early on in the series. I think that The Four Swords games, the NES games and ALTTP all come after it.

The thing to remember, or at least what I tell myself, is that the clue is in the title. I take these as legends where the actual events are correct but a lot of the details change over time. It helps iron out any wrinkles that Nintendo couldn't be bothered to deal with.

About the setting. A Laputa styled world would be pretty cool, especially if they drew on Zelda's history and referenced how Hyrule used to be a lot. Then at some point you are drawn into that world and find yourself in the traditional medieval setting. Then it really would feel like you as the player just found yourself in Hyrule.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I used to have a pretty sensible Zelda timeline worked out, but my body couldn't handle that much pure NERD so it had to be destroyed.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The only really solid bits of the timeline have already been mentioned. OoT is first, MM and WW/PH are after that, and TP according to Nintendo is between OoT and WW.

Everything else is sketchy at best.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Online games?

I'm aware of that.

Ok, let me clarify - when it's come to revamping their major franchises (Mario, Zelda, Metroid), Nintendo has yet to screw up. I'm referring to the entries into the main series - not Mario Baseball, Metroid Prime Pinball, or Link's Crossbow Training (then again, LBC was awesome). Which is why the examples I listed were of the major revisions in the respective game franchises. I'm not talking about the consoles themselves are the features of those consoles.

Everything clear there?

Ah, so what you meant by "they pretty much get everything right on the first try" was only in terms of paradigm shifts.
    Well, ok, but really the only kind of major shifts they have pulled off have been from 2d->3d, not from fantasy to dystopian cyberscape.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The only really solid bits of the timeline have already been mentioned. OoT is first, MM and WW/PH are after that, and TP according to Nintendo is between OoT and WW.

Everything else is sketchy at best.

Well, LttP's intro talks about OoT kind of.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    ArceusArceus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Online games?

I'm aware of that.

Everything clear there?
    What is LBC

Arceus on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Arceus wrote: »
    What is LBC

Long Beach, California.

august on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I used to have a pretty sensible Zelda timeline worked out, but my body couldn't handle that much pure NERD so it had to be destroyed.

Some of us have a ridiculously high tolerance for nerdery on that level. Like certain poisons you can build yourself up to resist.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Arceus wrote: »

Online games?

I'm aware of that.

Everything clear there?
    What is LBC
    Eh, that was supposed to be "LCT" - Link's Crossbow Training.

And Blue - there is supposed to be a 'paradigm shift' for Zelda on the Wii, in terms of it's structure. New controls and gameplay type, I imagine. I doubt it'll be as drastic as 2d->3d, but it should be considerable, if Nintendo is to be believed.

Graviija on
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Eh, that was supposed to be "LCB" - Link's Crossbow Training.

You fail at acronyms.

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Nintendo says they have a timeline as well, so it sort of invites speculation.

But I think all that really matters is that OoT is first, and how it relates to WW and TP. Everything else can just be random Links dealing with Gannon over the years.

august on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited November 2008
    Zelda timeline discussions are among the most retarded on all the internet. Top 5 easily. I just wish PA would be free of it. Just take it to GameFAQs or something where all the other idiots collude.

Opium on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    And Blue - there is supposed to be a 'paradigm shift' for Zelda on the Wii, in terms of it's structure. New controls and gameplay type, I imagine. I doubt it'll be as drastic as 2d->3d, but it should be considerable, if Nintendo is to be believed.

Yeah I know~ That is what we have been talking about, right? I am saying that in terms of that kind of shift, they've not been tested. Unless Crossbow Training counts.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Zelda timeline discussions are among the most retarded on all the internet. Top 5 easily. I just wish PA would be free of it. Just take it to GameFAQs or something where all the other idiots collude.

Apart from the relative pointlessness of them why are they so bad?

There's obviously a connection between the games but unlike other series it's quite cryptic and people love mysteries and puzzles.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited November 2008
    MikeRyu wrote: »

Apart from the relative pointlessness of them why are they so bad?

Because 99% of it doesn't rise above the level of fanfic and none of it is canon anyway since Miyamoto, Anouma etc. couldn't care less (which brings me to another of the top 5 most retarded internet discussions: canonicity of fictional works) so you might as well discuss the timeline of Mario Party. It's exactly the same situation. Utterly pointless and ridiculous. I feel brain cells dying by the millions for just reading Zelda timeline posts, so I try to avoid them like the plague. Which you guys are making very hard to do in this otherwise very enjoyable thread.

Opium on
  • Options
    Cpt_InnocuousCpt_Innocuous Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Because there is no mystery, and anyone who tries to make connections where there are none is crazy. Even when I hear Miyamoto try to make a stupid timeline out of his own games I roll my eyes.

Cpt_Innocuous on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Hey it's fun to speculate, and as I said I think of them connected more like a bunch of legends rather than a series of totally indisputable events.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Miyamoto is a damn liar. He has no idea what the timeline is either and hides it by saying "I have one but I'm not telling any of YOU :P ".

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!