Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Movie Release Awareness - November '08 (RIP Gim)

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Also, Bolt is in 3D where available.

Seeing it just for that is getting your money's worth.

Yeah, I'm a sucker for 3D and Bolt at least looks halfway amusing to boot. I'll see it in theaters if it's in 3D, otherwise I'll undoubtedly wind up watching it on video (the wife loves Disney movies, for whatever reason).

Otherwise...yeah, Quantom of Solace is the only thing on that list I feel compelled to see. Though I'll probably check out Role Models as well.

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Is Let the Right One In subbed, dubbed, or filmed in English?

• TehSpectreTehSpectre @PixelateJake on TwitterRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »

If it were getting a wide release, it might have been dubbed, but it is most-likely subtitled.

There is an english language remake in the works.

Spec_Banner.png
  • setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Has anyone seen Synecdoche, New York? I'm probably going to see it sometime this week, me being a huge Kaufman fan.

• UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

The clips they were showing on TV and the trailer at Apple were subbed, which is what I'd prefer anyway.

To TehSpectre: The director, Alfredson, is pretty pissed in about the English remake. I'm not sure why they'd do it either. Not that hard to read subtitles. I mean, no one felt the need to remake Crouching Tiger to accomodate the English audiences :x

159.jpg
  • yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Underdog wrote: »

The clips they were showing on TV and the trailer at Apple were subbed, which is what I'd prefer anyway.

To TehSpectre: The director, Alfredson, is pretty pissed in about the English remake. I'm not sure why they'd do it either. Not that hard to read subtitles. I mean, no one felt the need to remake Crouching Tiger to accomodate the English audiences :x

Well that's just because they would have reused Chow Yun Fat anyways.

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Transporter 1 was excellent. 2 and 3 were meh. The main appeal is still that the director of The Professional is involved with the series.
    (I think he still has writing credits on 3.)

Luc Besson's name is on every other shoddy action flick released these days.

Along the lines of:

Produced by Luc Besson, the director behind Leon and yadda yadda!

Directed by some dude you've never heard of!

Isn't Crank the more intersting guilty pleasure action series featuring Jason Stratham these days anyway?

This post was sponsored by LG.

'Get your fucking finger on the wookie'
  • geckahngeckahn Registered User
    edited November 2008
    Variable wrote: »
    Quantom Of Solace and maybe Role Models, but only because it's written by David Wain. Means it might have a few brilliants scenes. doubt I'll pay to see it in theatres, though.

Role Models is absolutely amazing. I cant stress enough how hilarious this movie is. The marketing for it was definitely not well done.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Grislo wrote: »

Transporter 1 was excellent. 2 and 3 were meh. The main appeal is still that the director of The Professional is involved with the series.

Along the lines of:

Isn't Crank the more intersting guilty pleasure action series featuring Jason Stratham these days anyway?

It's sad Besson only did like 2 good movies, everything else his name is attached to is awful.

edited November 2008

Along the lines of:

The dude did The Fifth Element, The Professional, and La Femme Nikita, in addition to The Transporter. He's an incredibly prolific French director, and has done a lot of great shit. If you've never heard of him, you're not paying attention.

edited November 2008

Along the lines of:

The dude did The Fifth Element, The Professional, and La Femme Nikita, in addition to The Transporter. He's an incredibly prolific French director, and has done a lot of great shit. If you've never heard of him, you're not paying attention.

Crap I said 2, I should have said 3 movies he did well. Though I've never been a huge fan of Femme.

• lazegamerlazegamer Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Along the lines of:

I think the idea is that he has been producing a lot of crap movies (Transporter) with nobody directors. The last movie on IMDB that he directed and I recognize is The Fifth Element, in 1997.

Also, I must not qualify as human as I'm not even interested in renting Quantum, let alone watching it in theaters. I've always seen Bond as a whimsical spy flick, the serious vibe the new films have taken while still holding onto Bond'isms like souped up cars and vixens feels like it's reaching to me.

Edit: Scratch that, I do remember the Joan of Arc (1999) revisit now that I look closer.

Surprise.
    - Spy
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I will undoubtedly be flamed for this, But I will be seeing Twilight

And I have read all the boooks

I will be seeing Twilight.

My girlfriend has read all the books D:

11793-1.png
    Spoiler:
    edited November 2008
    lazegamer wrote: »

Along the lines of:

I think the idea is that he has been producing a lot of crap movies (Transporter) with nobody directors. The last movie on IMDB that he directed and I recognize is The Fifth Element, in 1997.

Also, I must not qualify as human as I'm not even interested in renting Quantum, let alone watching it in theaters. I've always seen Bond as a whimsical spy flick, the serious vibe the new films have taken while still holding onto Bond'isms like souped up cars and vixens feels like it's reaching to me.

Edit: Scratch that, I do remember the Joan of Arc (1999) revisit now that I look closer.
    The guy is a French director. The fact that you've heard of anything he's done speaks volumes.

edited November 2008
    PantsB wrote: »

Just make a deal with your girl. You'll take her to twilight if she offers a blow job for every overly emo part in the movie. You'd walk out with like 50 bjs.

• RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'll be seeing Quantum of Solace and Transporter 3. Transporter 2 was wonderfully ridiculous.

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Along the lines of:

Crank was the best cheesy action flick ever. It's the only time I've been able to sit through a sex scene with my parents without wincing because we were all laughing so hard. Blow-job Car-chase Shootout.

• gundam470gundam470 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I liked the Transporter but I absolutely hated Crank.

gorillaSig.jpg
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Rogue Coral Springs, FLRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Crank seemed stupid to me as well, and I enjoyed Shoot 'Em Up, so it's nothing against senseless action flicks.

fiV9i14.jpg
    蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
  • TrueHereticXTrueHereticX We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter. Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Preacher wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »

Just make a deal with your girl. You'll take her to twilight if she offers a blow job for every overly emo part in the movie. You'd walk out with like 50 bjs.

Nah that's a bad deal

Ask her for a blow job every time Bella and Edward make yes at each other

Your dick will be given a hefty 100+ workout

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    There's supose to be a new Watchmen trailer attached to Quantum of Solice. Another reason to watch it.

scale3nk0.png
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Along the lines of:

I think you misunderstood, or I wasn't clear enough.

I know who he is, he wasn't the reference in the small font line.

His name is used, very prominently and in a producer capacity, to sell a lot of shitty movies by using very large fonts. The sub par director who actually directed the shitty movie is given a very small font credit somewhere (on the very likely direct to dvd title, with a few exceptions).

Yes, he has directed some very good movies, but he has put his name on so much garbage. It's a bit odd though, since anyone who is slightly film savvy - people who might know him - are unlikely to fall for something like that.

EDIT: In all fairness, he has done producer (a very vague title at best) work on some pretty good movies too, and at times it's pretty much an automatic thing due to his production company being involved. And hell, I like money too, so..

This post was sponsored by LG.

'Get your fucking finger on the wookie'
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So yeah, the Disney character from the most recent blockbuster complaining about the quality of pirate DVDs appears to have a died a death somewhat here in the UK to be replaced by some sort of seasonal megatrailer advertising all the big films for SUMMER 2008 and now WINTER 2008 and how 'its the experience that counts'. Good on them I say because exchanging " for ' is why we go to the cinema in the first place.

Anyways, one of the snippets of trailers they feature appears to be a heavily stylised (as in near siloutte in some parts, dark green on red) WW2 cartoon. Looks fantastic from the two 10 second sections I've seen. Anyone have any idea what it is?

Had a look for the big WINTER 2008 trailer and a cartoon WW2 but can't find anything.

• ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008

Along the lines of:

160px-NathanLane2.JPG by Luc Besson, the sample_TheProducers_debris1.jpg behind Leon and yadda yadda!

I think you misunderstood, or I wasn't clear enough.

I know who he is, he wasn't the reference in the small font line.

His name is used, very prominently and in a producer capacity, to sell a lot of shitty movies by using very large fonts. The sub par director who actually directed the shitty movie is given a very small font credit somewhere (on the very likely direct to dvd title, with a few exceptions).

Yes, he has directed some very good movies, but he has put his name on so much garbage. It's a bit odd though, since anyone who is slightly film savvy - people who might know him - are unlikely to fall for something like that.

EDIT: In all fairness, he has done producer (a very vague title at best) work on some pretty good movies too, and at times it's pretty much an automatic thing due to his production company being involved. And hell, I like money too, so..

I think the issue is more the one highlighted in my little alteration.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • WerdnaWerdna Registered User
    edited November 2008
    I saw Let the Right One In and left grinning ear to ear. It really takes you to a place where wouldn't expect to feel so elated and yet mortified.

• METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User
    edited November 2008
    Werdna wrote: »
    I saw Let the Right One In and left grinning ear to ear. It really takes you to a place where wouldn't expect to feel so elated and yet mortified.

I was just coming in here to mention it. Such a wonderfully sweet movie, possibly my favourite of the year.
    Spoiler:

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • KalTorakKalTorak Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Yeah, you don't watch Transporter flicks for the plot.

You watch them for the oil-based fights.

• RingoRingo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Huh, I didn't realize Wasabi wasn't actually directed by Besson. But really, if you see a box that says LUC BESSON and JEAN RENO you should already be sold. It's fucking awesome. More awesome than the tagline would have you believe:

Quite Possibly The Greatest French-Language, English-Subtitled, Japanese Action-Comedy Of All Time

ceres wrote: »
    I'm just going to go ahead and lock this thread before I feel any worse about humanity.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG now featured at the Exigency Forum
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    METAzraeL wrote: »

I was just coming in here to mention it. Such a wonderfully sweet movie, possibly my favourite of the year.
    Spoiler:

You bastards, I was coming in to post about that movie.

Really good, I'm betting miles better than whatever Twilight ends up being. The part I found hilarious was
    Spoiler:

Also, since a question about the ending...
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    edited November 2008
    noir_blood wrote: »

Spoiler:

Really good, I'm betting miles better than whatever Twilight ends up being. The part I found hilarious was
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    As far as your first spoiler, yeah, that part was hella funny. Your second spoiler is what I thought, too.

oh hey, just found this on wiki:
    Spoiler:

I guess my idea that
    Spoiler:
    wasn't right :P

• ConvaelConvael Registered User
    edited November 2008
    setrajonas wrote: »
    Has anyone seen Synecdoche, New York? I'm probably going to see it sometime this week, me being a huge Kaufman fan.
    I saw it. I thought it was very good. Definitely, absolutely needs at least one or eighty more viewings. If it isn't nominated for at least a writing Oscar I will be very disappointed. I think there are a couple other potential nominations in there too...

• noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    oh hey, just found this on wiki:
    Spoiler:

I guess my idea that
    Spoiler:
    wasn't right :P
    Spoiler:

I'm kinda wanting to read the book now, but for some reason I always been weary about translated books. Part of me thinks that they could never capture the original language.

And someone should start making an Oscar thread. I would do it if I wasn't so damn lazy.

Spoiler:
    edited November 2008

I'm kinda wanting to read the book now, but for some reason I always been weary about translated books. Part of me thinks that they could never capture the original language.

And someone should start making an Oscar thread. I would do it if I wasn't so damn lazy.
    yeah, I'm gonna try and get my hands on the book. I guess the Cloverfield director is remaking this, but is sticking to the book more closely. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

• RubickRubick Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Thoughts on Twilight (mild spoilers for book 2, for which a sequel film has been greenlit):
    Spoiler:

edited November 2008

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I loved this movie! Can't wait for the dvd...
    Spoiler:

159.jpg
    edited November 2008
    Spoiler:
    I like your approach to it, but
    Spoiler:

And yes, this movie is amazingly sweet. Actually, that's probably the first word I would use to describe it.

edited November 2008
    Spoiler:
    I like your approach to it, but
    Spoiler:

And yes, this movie is amazingly sweet. Actually, that's probably the first word I would use to describe it.

lol yeah my version of it is very... idyllic. It's assuming the two of them are both nice people, which is definitely not always a given.
    Spoiler:

I could gush about this movie for days if I had a willing audience :) Just a warning to those who are thinking of going to see it, it's pretty slow moving so be prepared to be patient.

159.jpg
    edited November 2008
    I can dig that. It also fits in better with the feel of the movie.

I haven't seen many movies this year that I liked a lot, but this is easily vying with Dark Knight as my number 1 pick.

• KilroyKilroy Cannonball blastin'Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Rubick wrote: »
    Thoughts on Twilight (mild spoilers for book 2, for which a sequel film has been greenlit):
    Spoiler:

My major problem with Twilight, both having read the books and as a general complaint was the complete lack of character development. It's nothing but plot and long tedious gazing into eyes. Almost all of the characterization is lacking, and if I hadn't read the book, I'd have no idea why the characters were acting the way they were.

One major improvement over the book, though:
    Spoiler:

• Element BrianElement Brian Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So i was kinda of forced to see Twilight today and....I dunno..I guess it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Alot of it bored the crap out of me...

but there were some amusing atleast scenes
    Spoiler:

I like the idea of the carbonation in your pop being too much for your mormon body

too worldly nooooo