As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D4E] Still Living on the Edge

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Apologies for the double post, but I wanted to show you guys something:
    In b47, paste the following into the chat window and hit enter...
    <!-- Ranger basic attack code

draws an input box
    [input(
    "ComAdv||Do you have combat Advantage?|CHECK",
    "PriSht|1|Are any allies closer?|CHECK",
    "AtkMod|9|What is your attack modifier?|TEXT"
    )]

generates hit modifier from attack bonus, combat advantage and prime shot bonus
    [HitMod=AtkMod+if(ComAdv, 2, 0)+if(PriSht,0,1)]

rolls necessary dice
    [roll=d20]
    [mydamage=d10+1]
    [critbonus=d6]

outputs result-->
    <b>Longbow +1:</b> [myroll=(roll+HitMod)] [if(roll>=20, "CRITICAL HIT! Deals 11 damage +" +critbonus+" extra damage", "damage: "+mydamage)]<!--displays the actual value rolled to hit--> (I rolled a <!--adds a string value on crit -->[roll+if(roll==20,"!","")])

As you can see, I've been messing around with the new macro functions in b47 and thaey are very nice. Apparently, you can even create tabbed dialogues and so on, but for now, my limited study has got e the above.
    I've added notes to explain what each section does, but if you need any help ask away and I will try to remember why each bit does what it does.

Also, are we on for tonight again?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Very cool! But err.. It doesn't show the dice rolls (By which I mean a less scrupulous person than present company could fake them). [/nitpick]

We also have an initiative thingy in maptool now, which is handy.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    edited November 2008
    It does show the d20 roll and can be easily adjusted to show the others, but I like it better when it's all one line.
    Plus you can tell that the stuf is being produced by a macro as it shades the text differently.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I meant if you surreptitiously edited [roll=d20] into [roll=20] now and then no one would know the difference.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    edited November 2008
    Server (b47) is up!

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    What's it called/ip?

Goose! on
  • Options
    BandorrBandorr Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So i've figured out the macros.
    <!-- Brash Strike

draws an input box
    [input(
    "Temp||Do you have Temporary hit points?|CHECK",
    "AtkMod|11|What is your attack modifier?|TEXT",
    "MonsterName|That Monster|WhichMonster?|TEXT",
    "DmgMod|9|What is your Damage modifier?|TEXT"
    )]

[HitMod=AtkMod]
    [Monster=MonsterName]

Roll dice.
    [roll=d20]
    [mydamage=d12+DmgMod+if(Temp, 2, 0)]
    [maxdamage=12+DmgMod+if(Temp, 2, 0)]
    [critbonus=d12]

outputs result-->
    <b>Brash Strike </b>on: <b><u>[Monster]</u></b> - [myroll=(roll+HitMod)] to hit and
    [if(roll>=20, "CRITICAL HIT! Deals " + maxdamage + " damage +" +critbonus+ " extra damage", mydamage + " damage ")]
    - Then <b><u>[Monster]</u></b> gets combat advantage vrs me for a round.
    Is an example from mine.

-Everything between <!-- Brash Strike and outputs result--> are lines that will not be sent out to everyone. Basically it's where you want to store and calculate your variables.
    - As for input boxes, The first part is the variable name, the second part is the initial value, and the third part is the name of the textbox or so.
    "Temp||Do you have Temporary hit points?|CHECK". The variable is Temp, It has no initial value, and when it loads it ask you if you have any temporary hit points.

For some reason, and infact there is probably a way around this - but you must "reassign" your variables from your input to variables outside it. This is also where you want to add on all the calculations you would use. You can't use +'s in strings or in the input lines(they are seen as ways to combine lines.. not add themm).

mydamage is the name of the variable. It's a combination of rolling a d12, adding the previous variable DmgMod(9) and then it checks to see if the variable"Temp" was checked. If it was checked, it adds on 2. If it wasn't checked it adds on 0.

So thats d12+9+2 OR d12+9+0. Depending if it was checked or not.

You must surround a variable in [] to get it to register as a variable. Monster is just shown as monster, but [Monster] is shown as whatever you entered it as(The Monster)

Phages example works well, and if you have any questions i can try and answer them too.

Bandorr on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Last time on Living on the Edge...
    After a lengthy debate on the best course of action, it was decided to return to Brookford below, and spend some money as soon as possible! I mean warn the town as soon as possible!

With a pet dwarf in tow, our adventurers re-entered the tunnels though the dwarven gate. A few undead orcs had wandered in over the night and left a pair of prisoners lying near the entrance. One was still alive, but before he could be freed, the orcs returned and battle was joined. A few firebats joined the fray after investigating the commotion, but nothing was a match for our heroes!

Once a rather chilly dwarf had been brought to heel it was time to investigate the prisoner who had not been so lucky. Another adventurer caught by the orcs, he still had a multitude of interesting items about his person.

Why would the undead take prisoners, and what lies in wait for our adventurers below?

--- Experience ---
    244xp each for clearing the entrance of hostiles.

Doubled to: 488xp each

Phage gets 10 bonus xp for making one of the orcs -bloodied with a crit, so he didn't even get a chance to try and get back up.

Pretty sure we have caught up on double xp sessions now. Let me know if you wish to keep playing at double xp, otherwise its back to normal next week.

--- Loot (dead adventurer) ---
    One complete Adventurers kit.
    One crossbow + 20 bolts
    One Mace
    Leather armour
    200gp

One pair of wavestrider boots (PHB 246)
    One Lv 8 heavy Shield of Defiance (PHB 245)
    One pair Lv 6 caustic gauntets (Adventurers Vault 133)
    Power (Daily - Acid): Free Action. Use this power when
    you make a ranged attack. Change the damage type dealt
    by that attack to acid. Hit or miss, creatures adjacent to
    the target of the attack take 1d6 acid damage. Also, you
    deal an extra 1 acid damage on successful ranged attacks
    until the end of the encounter.
    If you’ve reached at least one milestone today, instead
    deal an extra 2 acid damage on successful ranged attacks
    with the acid keyword until the end of the encounter.

--- New house rule ---
    Anyone who does not wish to keep track of arrows can instead buy enough to last a few battles and presume that arrows are recovered and repaired enough that they will never run out. On visiting a location where fresh arrows can be purchased however, failing to roll 11+ on a d20 indicates the remaining arrows are in poor shape, and you need to replace your stock or suffer the consequences.

Ps. Can you send me the png of your Aelar token and a link to your character sheet I can put in the OP please Snake Gandhi

Pps. If you modify the macro a little so the rolls are shown somewhere (like this for example), everyone can check the rolls and calculations, and you can't cheat :P:
    <!-- Brash Strike

draws an input box
    [input(
    "Temp||Do you have Temporary hit points?|CHECK",
    "AtkMod|11|What is your attack modifier?|TEXT",
    "MonsterName|That Monster|WhichMonster?|TEXT",
    "DmgMod|9|What is your Damage modifier?|TEXT"
    )]

[HitMod=AtkMod]
    [Monster=MonsterName]

Rolls dice and outputs calculations-->
    <span style="font-size: 6pt">
    [roll=d20]
    [maxdamage=12+DmgMod+if(Temp, 2, 0)]
    [critbonus=d12]
    </span>

<!-- Displays attack -->
    <b>Brash Strike </b>on: <b><u>[Monster]</u></b> - [myroll=(roll+HitMod)] to hit and
    [if(roll>=20, "CRITICAL HIT! Deals " + maxdamage + " damage +" +critbonus+ " extra damage", mydamage + " damage ")]
    - Then <b><u>[Monster]</u></b> gets combat advantage vrs me for a round.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    edited November 2008
    I am totally ganking those gloves.

Robo should probably get the shield and I reckon he should have the boots too, as, if all else fails, he can use the daily and carry people across water with ease.

Love the arrows house rule and also, do we recognise the corpse as anyone from the town?

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    do we recognise the corpse as anyone from the town?

The Prisoners

Neither the dead nor living prisoner are recognizable from the people you saw in the world below. Since they were prisoners of the orcs who only just discovered the door you unlocked, it is likely they were carried here from elsewhere on the world above. The dead prisoner is fairly badly decomposed and has probably been dead for weeks. There aren't any obvious weapon marks on him, so its unlikely he was executed. Why they were still carrying him around is as much a mystery as why they took captives in the first place.

The living prisoner (Aelar) on the other hand, can't have been captured more than a few days ago, or he would have suffered the same fate by now.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    edited November 2008
    Lets see. I don't have a ranged weapon. Then again that cleric does, but that cleric doesn't use it every turn like phage. So you two argue about it.

I'll take the boots i guess, ability to walk over water if i don't end my turn on the water, or daily of being able to walk over water no matter what. No bad.

If i'm reading this book correctly, the level of an item is just a general measure of when it should be given out, and doesn't actually have any restrictions. So im gonna take the shield.

There was 4 of us right? 50 gold each. Not gonna take the leather armor though. The AC drop of 4 is too harsh for me.

Not attaching the shield though, need a one hand weapon before i can use it. Infact what kind of shield is it? is it heavy or light, does it even give AC?

I personally prefer double exp to make up for the fact fourth edition makes you have more experience than you needed in 3/3.5. It seems to bother other people though, so up to them.

And did you want everyones macro to look like mine, or did you want me to add E: to mine so the roll was expanded?

Bandorr on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Its a heavy shield with all the benefits and penalties that brings (I am such a tease giving you one without an axe ;-) patience ). The level of an item is just an indication of when its given out, and a way to differentiate between different levels of the same item. According to the book I am supposed to be giving you items 4 levels or so above you sometimes. Thats why the new guys have slightly better kit than you (My bad :/).

The macros can look however you want, as long as its possible to mouse over something somewhere and see that the variables are tied to an actual dice roll. If you paste the modified example i gave into maptools, you should see that your rolls are all documented in tiny lettering at the start of the output.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    edited November 2008
    Isn't the mace a one-handed weapon though? If you're proficient with a greataxe you ought to be proficient with that too....

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Yeah i can use a mace too.. let me check my powers and feat to make sure a mace works as well as an axe.

Yes i can infact use a mace inplace of my axe(and i could use a hammer too) for my powers that require one of those 3 to deal con damage.

The mace is only 1d8 though, so it IS worse than the battleaxe. But the fact it is one handed may be good enough. 1d12 vs 1d8 but access to my encounter power (and the shields daily).

Bandorr on
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Looking at the loot the only thing Aelar could use are the boots and the gauntlets, but Phage could probably make better use of the gauntlets.

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Looks like it should to me. Most of those powers say "axe ... or mace" except for the ones that don't specify beyond "melee weapon".

EDIT: Damn straight I could. Also, I still have a bunch of poisons left from those plants and spiders. Daily+Acid+Poison+splash damage? Fancy.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Server is up. Wouldn't register with the list server, so you may have to direct connect, same info as last time:

ip - 80.195.1.25
    port - 51234
    password as ever is wang

Let me know if there are any problems

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2008
    Last time on Living on the Edge
    Trekking back through the tunnels, the group discovers that some of the floors are now flooded, making progress difficult. In looking for an alternate route, they fight off a few fish in some waterlogged tunnels and discover a new way down.

Upon opening it the water also decides that down is a good plan, and the party is quickly sucked down through the ground and off a waterfall. Everyone apart from Robo that is, who activates his water walking boots and carries the dwarf to safety. Exploring further, Robo loots his way through a few rooms before being sung off a ledge by a harpy. As he sails through the air he gets a spectacular view of the surroundings before something blue rises up to meet him.

--- Experience ---

270xp each for fighting fish, harpies, and my terrible DMing.
    Doubled to: 540xp each

--- Loot ---
    -furniture room-
    150gp
    An ancient book on forging and dwarven runes (contains the ritual Enchant Magic Item).
    One augmenting whetstone (adventurers vault 190)
    Power (Consumable): Minor Action. Touch this whetstone to a melee or ranged weapon you hold. The weapon gains a +2 enhancement bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls until the end of the encounter. This has no effect on the extra damage dice or other special effect applied when the weapon scores a critical hit. Note: whetstones don't stack.
    Two venom whetstones (adventurers vault 190)
    Power (Consumable): Minor Action. Touch this whetstone to a melee or ranged weapon you hold. The next creature successfully attacked by the weapon takes ongoing 5 poison damage (save ends). Note: whetstones don't stack.

-dead warforged-
    A battleaxe
    Deepstone Scale Armour +1
    This strange looking armour is made with many tiny plates of some strange non metallic substance. It gives you a resistance of 5 against fire and acid while wearing it, and it doesn't rust.

In spite of the fact that you are all sailing through the air feel free to divide up the loot now if you want to. You will have the opportunity to shuffle items around early next session, so it will work out the same in the end.

Sorry again that session was so rubbish, and thanks for bearing with me. I'll do my best to make sure things never go that badly again.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2008
    Hmm, well, I'd like the augmenting whetstone if it's free. I don't much care for the rest. We should give the ritual to our wizard, but he doesn't seem to have followed us down...maybe we can give it to the next one? :P

As for the session; it wasn't that bas from my PoV, but yeah, I can see where others might not like it.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Ill take the battle axe, 50 of the 150 gold, the scale armor, and a level.

Bandorr on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Trying to get the server up and running now guys.. b47 is not being terribly co-operative :(

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2008
    server is up!

Ip is different as I'm at a different location:
    port 51234
    pass: wang

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm trying that IP address, but I keep getting a 'connection timed out' error.

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    i can't connect to the server or the IP either yeah.

Bandorr on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    What they said.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Maptool b47 hates me and keeps crashing and taking out my desktop with it. gonna try with an empty map and see if that allows you to connect.

Edit: Any luck?

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2008
    crashes faster than usual, but thats about it.

Are you sure the password hasn't changed?

Bandorr on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Here's whats going on: maptool works fine, but as soon as anyone connects it dies a horrible death (even with an empty map).

Anyone want to see if b48 fares any better? I just put a b48 server up.

ed: aand crash reboot try again.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2008
    Downloading. Will try.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    so much for b48 :| same thing happened.

I'm putting up a b39 to see if that runs stably. Try to connect and crash it please! If that happens something more serious must be up.

Edit: Bandorr has connected to the b39 server successfully.. Not that this helps us much (no maps or macros). Going to try a reinstall of java. b47 server will be back up when thats complete for testing.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2008
    so much for b48 :| same thing happened.

I'm putting up a b39 to see if that runs stably. Try to connect and crash it please! If that happens something more serious must be up.
    Where can I get 1.3.b39? I don't have it any more...

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    i have it, and it works. He is going to uninstall then reinstall java.

Bandorr on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Ok, java is reinstalled. Connect away and lets see if it breaks!

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2008
    im trying to connect as of now!

Bandorr on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Well balls, that didn't go so well.. Mission failed

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2008
    so play using b37 or call it a day/night?

Bandorr on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Playing in b39 might be tricky, as all the new macros won't work, and neither will the maps. I'd be up for doing things the hard way if you really want to though, b39 server will be running if you want to chat about it.

The only other option I can see at this point is if I reinstall windows and we try again next week. Hopefully a fresh system will fix the problems. If anyone has any less drastic ideas I'm all ears though.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2008
    i can try and start a b47 server and see if you can connect etc infact let me load one up
    Bandorr
    Password should be Bandorr for admin, and wang for regular

Bandorr on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Like I said, I don't have b39; after we switched to 47, I deleted it since it never worked right for me anyway.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Hmmm.

I tried connecting to Bandorr's server but I get the same error. It might be worth a shot to reinstall Maptools and see if that helps.

Snake Gandhi on