As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

QUIT POSTING IN ME

1555657585961»

• GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So, I've been wondering something, and I assume it's probably answered somewhere else but I haven't seen it.

Why, if the war was 70 or so years from now, and the current time in the game is 200 years past that, are they using songs/marketing styles/etc from the 40s? Is it supposed to remember a time before atomic weapons were used? Is it just for the retro feel and it doesn't really need to make sense?

Ganluan on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ganluan wrote: »
    So, I've been wondering something, and I assume it's probably answered somewhere else but I haven't seen it.

Why, if the war was 70 or so years from now, and the current time in the game is 200 years past that, are they using songs/marketing styles/etc from the 40s? Is it supposed to remember a time before atomic weapons were used? Is it just for the retro feel and it doesn't really need to make sense?

Read the beginning of the manual. I'll find it in a sec. I think it's a note from the developers or somesuch.
    Nuclear war The very words conjure images of mushroom clouds, gas masks, and bewildered
    children ducking and covering under their school desks But it’s the aftermath of such a conflict that
    truly captures our imaginations, in large part because there’s no real-world equivalent we can relate
    to Mankind may have witnessed the horror of the atomic bomb, but thankfully we’ve somehow
    succeeded in not blowing up the entire planet At least, not yet.

Fallout 3 presents a much grimmer reality Imagine if, after World War II, the timeline had split
    Our world forked into one branch, the Fallout universe the other In that other branch, technology
    progressed at a much more impressive rate, while American society remained locked in the cultural
    norms of the 1950’s It was an idyllic “world of tomorrow,” filled with servant robots, beehive
    hairdos, and fusion-powered cars And then in the year 2077, at the climax of a long-running war
    with China, it all went to hell in a globe-shattering nuclear war

That’s where you come in Fallout 3 takes place two hundred years later, in the year 2277, in
    post-apocalyptic Washington D C and its environs The “Capital Wasteland,” as it has come to be
    known, is a nightmare landscape of roving Raider gangs, freakish Super Mutants, rotting Feral Ghouls,
    and malfunctioning military robots It’s a good thing you’ve been living underground for the past
    nineteen years, safe and secure in an official Vault-Tec facility known as Vault 101 Everything is fine
    and dandy, until your father – who has been the one constant in your life – decides to leave the vault
    unexpectedly, forcing you to follow in pursuit So much for safety

ed: Apparently quoting out of a pdf takes out punctuation.

freakish light on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Basil wrote: »
    It just occurred to me that Fallout 3 really did raise the bar, allowing you to be a highly educated drug addicted corpse mutilating mutant cannibal slaver as opposed to merely being a tribal drug addicted child killing mutant cyborg slaver.

I didn't know you could enslave mutant cyborgs in this game. It really did raise the bar.

I would amuse you of aggregated foppery but then salmon would pass the red futon.

And yeah, Fallout isn't our timeline. It's the future of tomorrow today, complete with floating cleaning bots and the ever present threat of communism.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It just occurred to me that Fallout 3 really did raise the bar, allowing you to be a highly educated drug addicted corpse mutilating mutant cannibal slaver as opposed to merely being a tribal drug addicted child killing mutant cyborg slaver.

I didn't know you could enslave mutant cyborgs in this game. It really did raise the bar.

I would amuse you of aggregated foppery but then salmon would pass the red futon.

I need scissors! 61!!

freakish light on
    edited December 2008
    Oh god. hahahahahah!

<3

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Houn wrote: »
    Radio songs still don't work for me. I just get skips and stutters. Three Dog's voice is fine, but the actual songs won't play right.

Go to control panel>>>sounds, speech and audio devices>>>sound and audio devices>>>speaker settings-advanced>>>performance-tab and set hardware acceleration to max. That SHOULD solve your problem.

I can't seem to find a performance option in any of the Audio stuff under Vista 64. I'll have a look around the net. Thanks!

Houn on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    64-bit fucks up and it's annoying and URHGGHSFASdlfhads

Zen Vulgarity on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It just occurred to me that Fallout 3 really did raise the bar, allowing you to be a highly educated drug addicted corpse mutilating mutant cannibal slaver cyborg as opposed to merely being a tribal drug addicted child killing mutant cyborg slaver.

Although, the lack of a Brahmin companion is a black mark on the whole deal.
    You can still be a cyborg in fallout 3!

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
    edited December 2008
    Oooh, you can? Damn, I missed that.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Well, it's a perk. I don't know if it changes your appearance.

freakish light on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Radio songs still don't work for me. I just get skips and stutters. Three Dog's voice is fine, but the actual songs won't play right.

Go to control panel>>>sounds, speech and audio devices>>>sound and audio devices>>>speaker settings-advanced>>>performance-tab and set hardware acceleration to max. That SHOULD solve your problem.

I can't seem to find a performance option in any of the Audio stuff under Vista 64. I'll have a look around the net. Thanks!

I don't think audio acceleration exists under Vista, not just 64 bit.

tofu on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well, it's a perk. I don't know if it changes your appearance.

You can get Wired Reflexes from completing the android quest besides the Cyborg perk. Pretty sure it doesn't change how you look.

Couscous on
    edited December 2008
    I find it funny that little children can wear power armor. They are adorable.

Couscous on
    edited December 2008
    Will children wear the naughty nightwear?

Couscous on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    tofu wrote: »

Ha Ha! Victory is Mine!

Completely going against everything I've read online, I added fallout3.exe to the list of apps that always use ffdshow (instead of apps that never use it), and cranked the performance slider all the way up. Radio sounds normal now. :D

Houn on
  • CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    tofu wrote: »

Ha Ha! Victory is Mine!

Completely going against everything I've read online, I added fallout3.exe to the list of apps that always use ffdshow (instead of apps that never use it), and cranked the performance slider all the way up. Radio sounds normal now. :D

I don't know, I'm running Windows XP and I find that the radio is somewhat inconsistent. Thought it works fine some of the time, all too often the music stops working. Does anyone have any insight into how the radio can be fixed fully on Windows XP?

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Couscous wrote: »

o_O

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • El ExtremoEl Extremo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    deowolf wrote: »

o_O

Gary?

El Extremo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Will gary wear Naughty Nightwear?

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited December 2008
    deowolf wrote: »

o_O

Just wondering.

I can sleep at night knowing I did not make the Female Nude Painspike Armor Shoulderless Retexture and the Female Nude Texture.

Couscous on
    edited December 2008
    Will gary wear Naughty Nightwear?

Will there be a mod replacing all non-unique NPCs with Gary?

Couscous on
    edited December 2008
    There should be. But there should be other mods as well.

My life will not be complete until I shoot my dad in the dick. And none of this sissy aiming down the sights crap, I want slow motion bullet time leading from muzzle to junk.

*I think I just realized why the groin is not a selectable target.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Fallout 3: Revenge of the Gary

Make a Gary behemoth, a Garyclaw

Zen Vulgarity on
  • El ExtremoEl Extremo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Garyclaw Gauntlet? Gary-it Launcher that launches Garys? Garycap Mine? Gary-cola Grenade?

El Extremo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2008
    El Extremo wrote: »

Garyclaw Gauntlet? Gary-it Launcher that launches Garys? Garycap Mine? Gary-cola Grenade?
    OH GOD I JUST REALIZED HOW TERRIFYING GARY WITH A DEATHCLAW GAUNTLET WOULD BE

Deathclaw animations, jumping from 100 ft away, all the while screaming

"GARRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY"

Zen Vulgarity on
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Gary-guai, Garyhemoth, President Gary.

stigweard on
  • GalielmusGalielmus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So, you know, it was cool. I reunited the entire family (sans parents) and brought Ian and his sister together at last. Life was enjoyable in Megaton, with the bomb deactivated and Lucas saved a mere moment before a silenced pistol in the back ended his life. I still suspected something a little strange about Billy Creel and his ward but ahh, different strokes for different folks. Went and had a conversation with Andy ab..---

GGAAAARRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Galielmus on
  • FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Making a character who specializes in melee, explosives, and lockpick made me fall in love with this game again. After I smacked his two buddies to death with a sledgehammer, a raider was trying to pick me off with his .32 pistol. I lunged forward, swung, and popped his fucking skull open like a melon in one hit. It's awesome. Is it worth raising your Endurance high for melee weapons?

Also while trying to find the asshole sniper in minefield I ran up the cliff and turned the corner to see a deathclaw pop a Wastelander's head off. One grenade took off the Deathclaw's leg and I felt badass.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, so, hey, new thread incoming. I figure it's close enough to 100 and I don't feel like watching it all night to make two more pages.

Keep an eye out and get ready to stop posting in this one.

edit: new thread @ http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=76127

freakish light on
  • SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't get the weapons in the fallout timeline, though. If technology did progress, then why were there no better weapons than an AK47, or an MP5? Why not anything like today's weapons?

SilkyNumNuts on
  • PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    stigweard wrote: »
    Gary-guai, Garyhemoth, President Gary.

Tuning into the Enclave radio and suddenly hearing "GAAARRRYYY" over it would scare the living shit out of me.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
    edited December 2008
    Hey. Hey. Old thread. Go see the new one.

VVVVVVV

freakish light on
    edited December 2008
    I don't get the weapons in the fallout timeline, though. If technology did progress, then why were there no better weapons than an AK47, or an MP5? Why not anything like today's weapons?

Lasers are cooler than bullets. Nobody is going to invest in outdated bullet based weapons in the FUTURE!

Couscous on
  • atat23atat23 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    shitballs! Charon just died at the worst possible time, haven't saved in two hours and it auto saved just as he died, I can now reload and watch him fall lifeless to the floor as much as I want

atat23 on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This is a nice thread, I think I may start posting in it.

Accualt on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    After all it does have a lot of potential, it could go all the way.

Accualt on
This discussion has been closed.