As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Atari reviving old franchises; TDU, Neverwinter Nights, AND BALDUR'S GATE!

ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Games and Technology
Look like Atari is trying to revive some old franchises.

From Kotaku-
Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Dungeons & Dragons and Test Drive Unlimited haven't been forgotten by Atari. The publisher plans to bring each of those series back to its line-up — but not until after 2009.

Atari revealed its intentions to revisit and resuscitate some of its better known properties at a press conference in the UK today, pointing to some of its most beloved hits as a focus for 2010 and beyond. The rebounding publisher diverted focus to its next-year line-up, according to Eurogamer, which includes Ghostbusters, The Witcher for consoles and the recently announced Ready 2 Rumble Revolution.

While Atari's been supporting Neverwinter Nights 2 in the form of expansion packs, the Baldur's Gate series has been quiet since the release of Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal, with the spin-off series Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance petering out in 2004. Sequels to both would be very welcome, my new Atari overlords.

We suppose the only question is: who's going to develop the next Baldur's Gate? BioWare, now owned by EA, has already moved on to its own "spiritual successor" Dragon Age.

As far as another Test Drive, Developer Eden Games is rumored to have already started work on a sequel to Test Drive Unlimited as of earlier this year.

MOTHERFUCKING BALDUR'S GATE! I think and hope this would be a publishing deal, and that Baldur's Gate would be given to the only man capable of reviving it.
chris_avellone_obsidian.jpg

This, along with a Witcher console port being announced today, shows some interesting things for Atari in the future.

Thetheroo on

• JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Baldur's Gate 3? It's like Fallout 3 with swords.

I'd be all over a new one if it stays true to the combat style and the D&D rules. Also dear god hire some good writers.

JAEF on
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    JAEF wrote: »
    Baldur's Gate 3? It's like Fallout 3 with swords.

I'd be all over a new one if it stays true to the combat style and the D&D rules. Also dear god hire some good writers.

Which is why Chris Avellone must write it. Get Obsidian to do it and Atari can publish.

He is The One.

Thetheroo on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You are now looking for your Baldur's Gate 2 discs and reinstalling, like me.

The_Scarab on
  • RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If Obsidian was involved, I'd be stoked. Short of that I'm not touching it with a ten foot pole.

And how the hell did Atari end up with the rights to the Baldur's Gate IP? They didn't have anything to do with its creation or distribution from my understanding.

Raynaga on
  • DozingDragonDozingDragon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Why bother? Baldur's Gate is done. Not to say that Obsidian isn't capable of making a good game out of it, but they would probably be better served by an entirely new IP instead of being stuck in the Forgotten Realms.

Oh and Raynaga, it all has to do with the fact Baldur's Gate is all part of the D&D digital rights, which Atari got after Interplay started sinking.

DozingDragon on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My excitment is tempered by the fact it's likely to be some DA equivalent shit. I think the highest my hopes will be allowed to go is basically KOTOR with kobolds.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    edited December 2008
    You know how Mega Man 9 was unashamedly retro. Imagine if instead of some half assed NWN2 engine they went completely back to the iso pre rendered stuff with sprites. Totally the same exactly.

A: It would be incredibly cheap to produce, especially compared to modern games and their complex engines.

B: The fanbase would hump it all night long.

The_Scarab on
    edited December 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    You know how Mega Man 9 was unashamedly retro. Imagine if instead of some half assed NWN2 engine they went completely back to the iso pre rendered stuff with sprites. Totally the same exactly.

A: It would be incredibly cheap to produce, especially compared to modern games and their complex engines.

B: The fanbase would hump it all night long.

I would never see the light of day again.

And goddamit, I really want to reinstall BG2 now.

Fuck.

Thetheroo on
  • VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Knowing WotC, any new D&D games will be stuck using 4th Edition. After Storm of Zehir I'd love to see Obsidian make a 3.5 Edition BG with an engine built from the ground up, but it's just not going to happen.

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Infinity Engine or bust.

Infinity Engine or else

Mustachio Jones on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The main thing with using 4E rules is that the game would need to play like FFT more than Baldur's Gate... which would be badass in itself but wouldn't feel at all like BG.

Incenjucar on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Why don't they just release a pack with BG, BGII, Planescape: Torment, and both Icewind Dales and call it the "Hope you didn't have anything to do for the next year" pack

Khavall on
    edited December 2008
    Khavall wrote: »
    Why don't they just release a pack with BG, BGII, Planescape: Torment, and both Icewind Dales and call it the "Hope you didn't have anything to do for the next year" pack

There was a referendum and it was outlawed, sorry. It was costing the health service too much.

The_Scarab on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Come to think of it...

I never did beaten BG2...

Casually Hardcore on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This is such a coincidence because I just reinstalled Baldur's Gate II today

This will be the second time I've attempted to play it and I still haven't gotten past the opening dungeon

Christ almighty the UI is so bad I keep wondering if it's worth suffering through to play it

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »

This will be the second time I've attempted to play it and I still haven't gotten past the opening dungeon

Christ almighty the UI is so bad I keep wondering if it's worth suffering through to play it
    You're going to be murdered.
    Though I kinda agree. Never saw the charm of the infinity engine

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    A new D&D game, be it Baldur's Gate III, merely set in the Realms, or something completely different, *NEEDS* to use the awesome 4th Edition rules.

It's already practically written as a strategy rpg, we just need someone to do it justice.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Blackjack wrote: »

There wasn't any...but it was what we had, so we kinda had to like it (same with the old Fallout engine, frankly)

Vincent Grayson on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

The charm of the infinity engine is that is had Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape: motherfucking Torment, and while not quite as good still fun Icewind Dale and Icewind Dale 2.

Khavall on
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    A new D&D game, be it Baldur's Gate III, merely set in the Realms, or something completely different, *NEEDS* to use the awesome 4th Edition rules.

It's already practically written as a strategy rpg, we just need someone to do it justice.
    Yes. Or even 3/3.5 rules.

Just not fucking AD&D. :x

Sorenson on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This doesn't even excite me.

I know it's going to be terrible.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
    edited December 2008

The charm of the infinity engine is that is had Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape: motherfucking Torment, and while not quite as good still fun Icewind Dale and Icewind Dale 2.

Man, who owns the Planescape license?

I know it can't be made into another game, I don't want it to, but I'm kinda curious.

I really need to get around to making that Planescape LP, but there is absolutely no way I can do it justice.

Thetheroo on
    edited December 2008

There wasn't any...but it was what we had, so we kinda had to like it (same with the old Fallout engine, frankly)

Man I have the old Fallout games

They've aged way better than this

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'd be all for retelling the Baldur's Gate story with fancy new graphics and whatnot, but I really don't see how they could continue it in a satisfying manner...I mean, that was quite the finale.

Darlan on
    edited December 2008

The solution is to skip all the way to Icewind Dale 2 which is by far the most tolerable of all these games in that area. It also helps it is probably the most polished.

Also there is a mod for BG2 which removes the first dungeon if you so wish.

The_Scarab on
    edited December 2008
    Darlan wrote: »
    I'd be all for retelling the Baldur's Gate story with fancy new graphics and whatnot, but I really don't see how they could continue it in a satisfying manner...I mean, that was quite the finale.

See this is what I want

Hell just make it a Neverwinter Nights module for crissakes, I could deal with that interface easily

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    How can they revive NWN? NWN2 just got a fucking expansion you band of cockthumping trollops!

I am also sure this new Baldur's Gate will be a Dark Alliance faggot-fest. I've never even touched Test Drive. This announcement is all kinds of dumb. Dragon Age will probably be closer to a true sequel to Baldur's Gate than this BG3 or whatever it is they want, unless they get the same team of writers.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

There was a referendum and it was outlawed, sorry. It was costing the health service too much.

There was something close; an "Ultimate D&D" pack that had BG1 + BG2 + Expansions, NWN1 + Expansions, Icewind Dale and a few other games.

citizen059 on
  • AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Seeing how ToB ended the protagonist's plot line in Baldur's Gate, I can think of only one possible good BG3.

Baldur's Gate 3: The Joined Adventures of Minsc & Edwin (and Boo!)

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
    edited December 2008
    I think it should be Edwina.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    What a disgrace. Another horrible game using the Baldur's Gate name to con people into buying it? Great.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Adhesive to plasticAdhesive to plastic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

THe game has never once left my HDD

Adhesive to plastic on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

No kidding. Thats on my "play at least once a year" list.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Adhesive to plasticAdhesive to plastic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

You know we're pretty close to a new year, eh?
    :winky:

Adhesive to plastic on
    edited December 2008

Thank god for me, Irenicus' dungeon keeps me far away from playing BG2 a second 1/2 time.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • QuazarQuazar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I freaking LOVED Test Drive Unlimited. They need to hurry up!

Quazar on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    atl7hahahazo7.png
    XBL: QuazarX
    edited December 2008
    Faffel wrote: »

Thank god for me, Irenicus' dungeon keeps me far away from playing BG2 a second 1/2 time.
    http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=98&Itemid=79

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited December 2008
    Don't!

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I would be excited about this, except it's Atari. Have they produced a good game in the last 5....10 years?

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited December 2008
    Faffel wrote: »
    Don't!
    No more dungeon, you know you want to play it...

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png