As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Atari reviving old franchises; TDU, Neverwinter Nights, AND BALDUR'S GATE!

• Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I would be excited about this, except it's Atari. Have they produced a good game in the last 5....10 years?

The Witcher, NWN2 etc.

I would go as far as to say that the Atari splash video is equated with quality in my mind. I get excited every time I hear it because there are so many good memories associated with that silly noise.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Faffel wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    You are now looking for your Baldur's Gate 2 discs and reinstalling, like me.

THe game has never once left my HDD

No kidding. Thats on my "play at least once a year" list.

You know we're pretty close to a new year, eh?
    :winky:

Thank god for me, Irenicus' dungeon keeps me far away from playing BG2 a second 1/2 time.
    http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=98&Itemid=79
    Irenicus' dungeon is pretty fun, just I've done it 2 dozen times.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Thank god for me, Irenicus' dungeon keeps me far away from playing BG2 a second 1/2 time.
    http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=98&Itemid=79
    Seriously? I could barely stand it my first time through.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I wasn't aware NWN needed reviving. I've been playing it at least once a week for the past, oh, five and a half years? Something like that.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I would be excited about this, except it's Atari. Have they produced a good game in the last 5....10 years?

The Witcher, NWN2 etc.

I would go as far as to say that the Atari splash video is equated with quality in my mind. I get excited every time I hear it because there are so many good memories associated with that silly noise.

NWN 2 is to Baldur's Gate 2 as Big Mutha Truckers is to Gran Turismo.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Seriously? I could barely stand it my first time through.

I installed BG2 about five times over a period of a year and a half before I got past Irenicus' Dungeon.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I think they're talking more about publishing than producing.

At least I hope so.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thetheroo wrote: »

At least I hope so.

I meant it in the general 'has atari been associated with a good game'.

And yeah, NWN2 doesn't exactly have a good rep. And the best thing I heard about the Witcher was a friend of mine who liked it because he knew that 'if he saw a woman, he could sleep with her'. Or something...I dunno, I didn't play it.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008

At least I hope so.

And yeah, NWN2 doesn't exactly have a good rep. And the best thing I heard about the Witcher was a friend of mine who liked it because he knew that 'if he saw a woman, he could sleep with her'. Or something...I dunno, I didn't play it.

NWN2 doesn't have a good rep? Really? Everyone I know who played NWN with me and enjoyed D&D loved NWN2. I hadn't heard anything bad about it, at least.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008

At least I hope so.

Witcher is cool. Its more of an action RPG and I prefer tactical RPGs, but its got a solid storyline that you can really influence with your actions.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    What the hell? I just installed BG II again YESTERDAY. Is there some sort of gamer-hive-mind we are all accessing?

I forgot how annoying AD&D second edition was. God, 3E is so much better as a game system. But it's those little exploits... erm, I mean, nostalgic lovable quirks that make the game for me. Like the silly Strength "18/00" thing. Or the variable XP tables. Or the bass-ackward dual/multi-classing rules. Then there are the little exploits in the computer game itself, like the ability to keep rolling your stats then REDISTRIBUTING THE POINTS. Even storing up your best rolls for later. I have a character that has 18s in four stats, 15 in one stat, and 3 in Charisma... which is now 18 because of a silly ring that gives you 18 in Charisma just by wearing it. And because of the pointless AC stacking rules, there's no reason to HAVE two rings that give AC bonuses.

My main complaint so far is that we are tripping over a side quest every time we zone. The journal is so unorganized, and there are so many little things to do. I also find Imoen and Jaheira's constant butting-in annoying. One time, we were being ambushed by Orogs, and then Jaheira went into her "boo-hoo" yammering. I know it's supposed to be part of the whole romance dialogue, but still...

And NWN was one of the best games ever. Period. I threw away 3 years of my life at the thing, and loved every single minute of it. The toolset is a tabletop RPG maker's dream... not a perfect dream, but still a pretty good one. And the community mods for it were outstanding... not just adventures, but content like full conversion Stargate SG-1, towers that rival the ones in Lord of the Rings, etc.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I would be, except I made the minor mistake of thinking Shadows of Amn meant it was the expansion, and I neglected to pick it up. For nearly nothing (certainly under $10). :x

Tamin on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I could never get the hand of Baldurs Gate. I started with #2 and there was this dungeon thing and a guy at the end that kept killing me. Never did get further than the first half hour or so.

rayofash on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If they do make a new Baldurs gate game they should definately use isometric view, sprites and cell shading. Focus on lots of interesting quests and characters, not technical accomplishments.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    F-Zero_RacerF-Zero_Racer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The main problem I had with NWN2 was that it was too easy to just rest all the time and get spells back. I hear that they fixed the system in one of the expansions, so i'll have to return to that some time.

Also, I loved Ready 2 Rumble. Awesome.

F-Zero_Racer on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I hope they focus on making a good tactical isometric RPG with BG3. Stay as far away from the NWN2 engine as possible and give me proper AI: EG LET ME CONTROL MY DAMN PEOPLE. If I put person X in Y spot, I expect him to STAY there.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    tbloxham wrote: »
    If they do make a new Baldurs gate game they should definately use isometric view, sprites and cell shading. Focus on lots of interesting quests and characters, not technical accomplishments.

You realize there's not a chance in hell of that, right?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    tbloxham wrote: »

You realize there's not a chance in hell of that, right?

But we can dream......

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    A Baldur's Gate revival is a terrible idea. Series has finished its plot, and no-one's going to put in the effort (or give Obsidian the time) to make anything that matches 2.
    A new D&D series that was actually good would be welcome. Something in Ravenloft, perhaps. The Realsm have been done to death by now.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    TDU was very, very good. I relish the thought of another.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I would play a game based on fourth edition rules so fucking hard

From everything I've seen and heard it fixes so many problems I had with D&D it's ridiculous

You make a Neverwinter Nights or a Baldur's Gate with that ruleset I'll buy it as long as it's stable and playable

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Fourth edition overinflates HP on everything to a ridiculous degree without adjusting damage accordingly.
    I am unconvinced by it.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    4E looked like a giant pile of steaming asscrap. I steered clear after reading the PHB.

Fuck Dragonborn, too. They'd be great... as a specialty race.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I want to like Baldur's Gate & Planescape: Torment, but I hate the Infinity Engine with a passion. A remake that made them playable would be fantastic.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Fourth edition overinflates HP on everything to a ridiculous degree without adjusting damage accordingly.
    I am unconvinced by it.

It's not as bad as it appears to be when actually playing, since you generally have more options available to you at any given time, so combat flows much more dynamically. Simple monsters, like zombies, do have around 35 HP, but it's primarily a way of not making encounters seem trivial. I'd really like to see a new 4th edition adaptation, since I feel that the 3/3.5 edition videogames have seriously worn out their welcome.

And by that I mean the gameplay system; arguably the only interesting 3rd edition game from a gameplay standpoint was Temple of Elemental Evil, and that really went nowhere. I found that Neverwinter Nights 2, despite its great expansion campaign(s), had a really shoddy and incredibly uninteresting implementation of the game rules, especially compared to Baldur's Gate. And don't even get me started on D&D Online.

4th Edition fits a videogaming structure much more naturally, so I'm interested to see what a talented developer could accomplish with it. If that will ever happen.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Without getting into too much of an argument, I think 4e would work fine for a video game, even though its main focus was to streamline a table top game. For a video game, it really doesn't matter nearly as much which system to use, since a lot of it becomes automated.

The main advantage of 4e is the options available to the 1st level player, but I'd think for a single player game where you control a party, this is also not as big of a deal.

I can't really imagine any new D&D games not using it though. There's just no reason not to.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    What the hell? I just installed BG II again YESTERDAY. Is there some sort of gamer-hive-mind we are all accessing?

I forgot how annoying AD&D second edition was. God, 3E is so much better as a game system. But it's those little exploits... erm, I mean, nostalgic lovable quirks that make the game for me. Like the silly Strength "18/00" thing. Or the variable XP tables. Or the bass-ackward dual/multi-classing rules. Then there are the little exploits in the computer game itself, like the ability to keep rolling your stats then REDISTRIBUTING THE POINTS. Even storing up your best rolls for later. I have a character that has 18s in four stats, 15 in one stat, and 3 in Charisma... which is now 18 because of a silly ring that gives you 18 in Charisma just by wearing it. And because of the pointless AC stacking rules, there's no reason to HAVE two rings that give AC bonuses..

AD&D is a much better system to base a video game around, as evidenced in the dozens of great 2e games, and lack of 3e ones.

3e is a dull system, thats too heavily based around level progression, whereas levels mean much less in 2e, leading to the opportunity for more flexible gameplay. Only thing 2e does really poorly is gameplay beyond 20, which is kind of besides the point.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008

I forgot how annoying AD&D second edition was. God, 3E is so much better as a game system. But it's those little exploits... erm, I mean, nostalgic lovable quirks that make the game for me. Like the silly Strength "18/00" thing. Or the variable XP tables. Or the bass-ackward dual/multi-classing rules. Then there are the little exploits in the computer game itself, like the ability to keep rolling your stats then REDISTRIBUTING THE POINTS. Even storing up your best rolls for later. I have a character that has 18s in four stats, 15 in one stat, and 3 in Charisma... which is now 18 because of a silly ring that gives you 18 in Charisma just by wearing it. And because of the pointless AC stacking rules, there's no reason to HAVE two rings that give AC bonuses..

AD&D is a much better system to base a video game around, as evidenced in the dozens of great 2e games, and lack of 3e ones.

3e is a dull system, thats too heavily based around level progression, whereas levels mean much less in 2e, leading to the opportunity for more flexible gameplay. Only thing 2e does really poorly is gameplay beyond 20, which is kind of besides the point.

Whoa whoa whoa now, this is just crazy talk. You're going to have to justify this one a little. How is 3e any more dull than 2e?

I mean, most people I talk to, the old 2e games were good in spite of the system, not because of it.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    2e has more flavour and character than 3e.
    Both are infinitely better than 4e.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Again, crazy talk, justification, yadda yadda.

I mean, come on. This is the system where fighters get no special attacks of any kind. None.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Any discussion of the D&D editions will inevitably get bogged down by opinion. Each edition has its good parts and its bad parts, and pretending your own preference is fact is silly.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    2e is absolutely horrible and anyone that says otherwise is on the crazy juice.

I mean THAC0 alone, really...

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    They just released a new Ghostbusters trailers complete with deep, gravely voice announcer dude. Looks like mainly CG stuff in the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOZVjXkkjTM

Cobell on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I bet they'll be just as good as the old ones

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Although I will say that 3rd edition is much better than AD&D on paper, I thought it was mishandled pretty badly by Wizards. Just the amount of shit being released during its reign was astounding. In the AD&D days you had those awesome fucking boxsets with tons of cool shit in them. Third edition was basically a long series of prestige classes and spells no one ever used.

I'm very positive about 4th edition so far. The new core races is probably the only thing I find to be really stupid, especially the way they integrated them into Forgotten Realms.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

This is so wrong it hurts. Nothing about Baldur's Gate, Torment and the like was good *because* of 2E, but rather in *spite* of 2E.

2E was a terrible system, and the world is better for its death. 3E was better, but 4E is the best the D&D system has ever been imo, and I've played every iteration of it save the very first 70's version.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    2e worked so well for automated gameplay because it was exactly that. No one had to bust out the calculator or try and figure out THAC0. Complex algebraic shit. And all I wanted to do was swing my axe at a couple orcs.

Of course it's exaggerated.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    ArcusArcus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    citizen059 wrote: »
    Khavall wrote: »
    Why don't they just release a pack with BG, BGII, Planescape: Torment, and both Icewind Dales and call it the "Hope you didn't have anything to do for the next year" pack

There was a referendum and it was outlawed, sorry. It was costing the health service too much.

There was something close; an "Ultimate D&D" pack that had BG1 + BG2 + Expansions, NWN1 + Expansions, Icewind Dale and a few other games.

I actually just bought this not too long ago, despite already having Baldur's Gate 1 & 2. All it needs is Planescape: Awesome, but I'm not sure who has the rights to that.

Also, I agree that 4th edition would be excellent as a video game, if only for the fact that most things can be implemented just fine, instead of butchering spells and abilities for balance and gameplay mechanics (I love NWN, but its extremely guilty of this). Besides, a lot of people that are unhappy with 4th edition complain about it being "too much like a video game" so this would be an interesting (and expected) turn of events.

Arcus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »

Although I will say that 3rd edition is much better than AD&D on paper, I thought it was mishandled pretty badly by Wizards. Just the amount of shit being released during its reign was astounding. In the AD&D days you had those awesome fucking boxsets with tons of cool shit in them. Third edition was basically a long series of prestige classes and spells no one ever used.

I'm very positive about 4th edition so far. The new core races is probably the only thing I find to be really stupid, especially the way they integrated them into Forgotten Realms.

This. 3e is a bunch of stuff for math fetishists to wank over. And for powergamers to wank over with their 10 class combo characters.

In practice, 2nd edition is simple, runs faster, and avoids playing "numbers: the crunchening".

Also, Thac0 is the same thing as 3e's hit rating.

But then again, 2e was a game designed by people who were in it for the roleplaying hobby, hence sourcebooks that contained hardly a single number! All background ideas and setting info. 3e was like it was run by a combination of marketing people and powergamers. Soulless compendiums full of prestige classes and feats.

No comment on 4e, haven't played it or read the books. I'm sure its better than 3e, though.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

And for a computer game, 4th edition is just about perfect actually without problems that other DnD based games have. It can be argued that Wizards had this in mind really.

In terms of system though, 4th edition plays much better than 3rd edition or 2nd edition ever did.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.