As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Terminator: Cancellation of Show Chronicles [nsf56k i guess]

• Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Lizard wrote: »
    Is it just me or was Eric really fucking dense?

I mean I know this whole robot from the future thing is implausible, but c'mon. The chick carries him up a flight of stairs, scopes out his tumors, calculates stellar trajectory using her eyeballs and constructs a convincing narrative about robbery and murder in the 1920s from nothing but old newspaper clippings and reels.

At the very least he should think she's a mutant or an alien.

He didn't believe the tumor bit. The stellar trajectory...yeah, fair point, but to be equally fair he had no way of knowing that she was doing the same thing in that scene. "Hey, you can fly if you build wings out of cardboard" is more believable than seeing someone jump off a roof holding the refrigerator box. Admittedly, this might make no sense.

If I look at the sky while I'm explaining that someone else could look at it and figure out what day it was, am I capable of doing so myself?

On the strength, again, I guess I can overcome disbelief in that if I met a woman who could perform better physically than I expected and she explained that she 'worked out' I would accept that before thinking "THIS THING IS OBVIOUSLY A ROBOT FROM THE FUTURE"

Raynaga on
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have seen the cancer wheel chair guy before...

Was he Dale on Jericho?

Shens on
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    midgetspy wrote: »
    Raynaga wrote: »
    Hoz wrote: »
    You're comparing computers that output processing power to robots that output brute force. Yes, it's helpful to be bigger to achieve greater brute force.

Fine. Take a jackhammer designed today and compare it to a jackhammer from the late 20's. Will it be able to output more force because its BIGGER, or because the materials used in construction and the inner workings of the device are superior?

I'm sorry, but size is irrelevant. Does a cannon have more destructive firepower than a Tomahawk missile? Its certainly bigger.

We're not talking centuries of difference here, its more like a decade of development. And there is only so much power you can get out of a device of a certain size. Combined with her personal size its just feasible that she can be that strong when T-888s are like walking tanks and so far shes been shown to be an infiltration unit.

If their bicep pistons or whatever are exactly the same design which we do not know, then the T-888s being bigger should equal more physical force.

Come on man this is ridiculous. You're talking about robots from the future who are almost invincible and unimaginably strong. We have no idea what technology is used to make them but you postulate that a newer smaller model can't possibly be stronger than an older, larger one? Seriously?

Gee, its a good thing we're in a sub-forum called DEBATE AND DISCOURSE huh? When you say older, we're literally talking about months, maybe years, not decades. Its not a huge deal it was just a discussion topic.

It may take decades to improve designs as a human, but a super powerful sentient computer can probably fire off upgraded designs faster.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I wonder why they're losing then. Seriously, how does a supercomputer in control of most of the world lose to the human resistence? It would take a minimum of 10 years to replace a dead human soldier (assuming they were using child soldiers), how long does it take a Skynet factor to crank out a new termie?

Underdog on
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That, I agree, doesn't make sense.

Then again, maybe its due to Stormtrooper Syndrome on the part of the Terminators.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Underdog wrote: »
    I wonder why they're losing then. Seriously, how does a supercomputer in control of most of the world lose to the human resistence? It would take a minimum of 10 years to replace a dead human soldier (assuming they were using child soldiers), how long does it take a Skynet factor to crank out a new termie?

I always thought it was a matter of materials and energy.

midgetspy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    midgetspy wrote: »

I always thought it was a matter of materials and energy.

As in Skynet was running out? Hmm... maybe they should've recycled better.

Underdog on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That's one of the biggest things about the terminator series. Humanity should have no chance. It would take a miracle for humanity to win. Something as improbable as... a temporal paradox?

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Al_wat wrote: »
    That's one of the biggest things about the terminator series. Humanity should have no chance. It would take a miracle for humanity to win. Something as improbable as... a temporal paradox?

But I don't see how the situation ever arose to create the initial time jump is what I'm saying. That first terminator sent back to kill Sarah, that was what set everything in motion (Kyle Reese goes back, fathers John, resistence forms, Skynet losing) but why was there that need in the first place? What happened that Skynet blinked first and decided that only screwing around with the past could ensure victory? This is on the assumption that Skynet acted the way it did because it saw itself as losing the war and needed something drastic to tip the scales. Maybe they weren't losing, maybe it was just a brutal stalemate and there was no near hope of victory for either side (although, once again, given how advanced Skynet is, I fail to see how that happened).

And I'm not real hung up on the question. It doesn't really matter to me as anything more than something interesting to wonder about.

Underdog on
  • Options
    ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Perhaps Skynet is not actually playing to win.

In short, Skynet's intentions are always at least several degrees removed. You have the information that terminators have been programmed with, you have information that humans believe they know. Skynet itself has never told anyone directly, that I am aware of.

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    That's kinda the point of a paradox. It doesn't really make sense from a perspective that time is a straight progression of cause to effect. But from a non subjective viewpoint its more like a big ball of timey whimey...wibbly wobbly... stuff.

Trust me watching Doctor Who helps me deal with this shit :lol:

Al_wat on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I should probably remind everyone that Cameron does not appear to be a stock issue Terminator. She's special. So it makes sense that Skynet would design her with slightly better parts than usual. Basically, the T-888s are Dell machines, and Cameron is a custom build.

And the female robot that had her eye gouged definitely wasn't a T-888. Different frame, and rigged CPU (Really, the smart thing would be to make a CPU that explodes and kills anyone nearby when you try to remove it, but whatever.). She was probably a newer model made of cheaper materials. Remember that botched mission for the Colton? Skynet in the future has a shortage.

Oh, and as for Riley, wasn't she there with John from his first day of school? I have a hard time that she was planted there by Jesse. Especially considering the fact that Jesse came from an altered timeline.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Cam could also be from a different timeline.

And skynet could be limiting its own iterative ability to avoid making the mistake of its maker.

And the minor issue of a tall thin female model seeming stronger then a shorter, stockier male one pales beside the t 1000 which is actually something from outer fucking space compared to the others.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I should probably remind everyone that Cameron does not appear to be a stock issue Terminator. She's special. So it makes sense that Skynet would design her with slightly better parts than usual. Basically, the T-888s are Dell machines, and Cameron is a custom build.

And the female robot that had her eye gouged definitely wasn't a T-888. Different frame, and rigged CPU (Really, the smart thing would be to make a CPU that explodes and kills anyone nearby when you try to remove it, but whatever.). She was probably a newer model made of cheaper materials. Remember that botched mission for the Colton? Skynet in the future has a shortage.

Oh, and as for Riley, wasn't she there with John from his first day of school? I have a hard time that she was planted there by Jesse. Especially considering the fact that Jesse came from an altered timeline.

Riley was planned from day one., read the blogs.

As for everything else in this post, yay for talking about it pages ago and stupid Spoiler rules resulting in nearly everyone skipping it.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Al_wat wrote: »

But I don't see how the situation ever arose to create the initial time jump is what I'm saying. That first terminator sent back to kill Sarah, that was what set everything in motion (Kyle Reese goes back, fathers John, resistence forms, Skynet losing) but why was there that need in the first place? What happened that Skynet blinked first and decided that only screwing around with the past could ensure victory? This is on the assumption that Skynet acted the way it did because it saw itself as losing the war and needed something drastic to tip the scales. Maybe they weren't losing, maybe it was just a brutal stalemate and there was no near hope of victory for either side (although, once again, given how advanced Skynet is, I fail to see how that happened).

And I'm not real hung up on the question. It doesn't really matter to me as anything more than something interesting to wonder about.

Well according to Kyle Reese in T1, Skynet WAS losing the war. Sending back the Terminator was an act of desperation.

http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Terminator.html
    INT. INTERROGATION ROOM

REESE
    ...it had no choice.
    The defensive grid was
    smashed. We'd taken the
    mainframes...
    We'd won. Taking out
    Connor then would make no
    difference. Skynet had to
    wipe out his entire exist-
    ence. We captured the lab
    complex. Found the...what-
    ever it was called...the
    time-displacement equipment.
    The Terminator had already
    gone through. They sent two
    of us to intercept, then
    zeroed the whole place.
    Sumner didn't make it.

SILBERMAN
    Then how are you supposed to
    get back?

REESE
    Can't. Nobody goes home.
    Nobody else comes through.
    It's just him and me.

valiance on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Perhaps we're overestimating how soundly skynet defeated the surviving human militaries after the bombs fell? It's possible that Connor was able to organize a resistance fast enough so that Skynet never really got the upper hand militarily over humanity after the nuclear holocaust.

Skynet lives on distributed computing networks, those things aren't exactly easy to keep from being severed by someone intent on such a goal.

override367 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Perhaps we're overestimating how soundly skynet defeated the surviving human militaries after the bombs fell? It's possible that Connor was able to organize a resistance fast enough so that Skynet never really got the upper hand militarily over humanity after the nuclear holocaust.

Skynet lives on distributed computing networks, those things aren't exactly easy to keep from being severed by someone intent on such a goal.

No, Skynet was on the verge of winning before Connor showed up.
    REESE
    (continuing)
    Burned in by laser scan.
    (pause)
    Some of us were kept alive...
    to work. Loading bodies. The
    disposal units ran night and day.
    We were that close to going out
    forever...

snip
    REESE
    (continuing)
    ...but there was one man...who
    taught us to fight. To storm
    the wire of the camps. To
    smash those metal mother-
    fuckers into junk. He turned
    it around...he brought us back
    from the brink.

(pause)
    His name is Connor. John Connor...
    your son, Sarah. Your unborn son.

Sorry, I just rewatched the first 2 movies and after finding the scripts online I like to nerd out. Though the scripts don't seem to match up with the copies of the movies I have o_O For example apparently in T1 Reese was supposed to have a colleague who dies in transit--materializes into a fence or railing or something D: and in T2 there's supposed to be a scene where Sarah opens up its head and switches the Terminator's processor to" write" mode from "read-only" mode, enabling it to learn/understand emotions. She actually attempts to destroy the chip at first before John stops her. This hints that Skynet is apparently scared of its terminators learning too much or becoming too human; and also foreshadows all the monkeying around with chips they do in this show.

T2 script: http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Terminator-2-Judgement-Day.html

valiance on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    valiance wrote: »
    and in T2 there's supposed to be a scene where Sarah opens up its head and switches the Terminator's processor to" write" mode from "read-only" mode, enabling it to learn/understand emotions. She actually attempts to destroy the chip at first before John stops her. This hints that Skynet is apparently scared of its terminators learning too much or becoming too human; and also foreshadows all the monkeying around with chips they do in this show.

This scene is actually included in the version of T2 I have, I think its an extended directors cut or something. Theres also some extra dream sequences with Kyle Reese that Sarah has while in the mental institution.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    valiance wrote: »

No, Skynet was on the verge of winning before Connor showed up.
    REESE
    (continuing)
    Burned in by laser scan.
    (pause)
    Some of us were kept alive...
    to work. Loading bodies. The
    disposal units ran night and day.
    We were that close to going out
    forever...

snip
    REESE
    (continuing)
    ...but there was one man...who
    taught us to fight. To storm
    the wire of the camps. To
    smash those metal mother-
    fuckers into junk. He turned
    it around...he brought us back
    from the brink.

(pause)
    His name is Connor. John Connor...
    your son, Sarah. Your unborn son.

Sorry, I just rewatched the first 2 movies and after finding the scripts online I like to nerd out. Though the scripts don't seem to match up with the copies of the movies I have o_O For example apparently in T1 Reese was supposed to have a colleague who dies in transit--materializes into a fence or railing or something D: and in T2 there's supposed to be a scene where Sarah opens up its head and switches the Terminator's processor to" write" mode from "read-only" mode, enabling it to learn/understand emotions. She actually attempts to destroy the chip at first before John stops her. This hints that Skynet is apparently scared of its terminators learning too much or becoming too human; and also foreshadows all the monkeying around with chips they do in this show.

T2 script: http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Terminator-2-Judgement-Day.html
    that scene is actually in the director's cut edition, I was like O_O when I saw that for the first time
    also.. how many terminators did skynet have at the beginning?
    Even if it had millions and wiped out half of earth's population, that's still 3 billion humans to face
    and more likely, it had a much smaller number

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah I don't think Skynet had a lot of Terminators at it's disposal. In fact it really might not have had many at all - the best it could do was nuke mankind into submission, then spend a fuckload of time trying to scrounge together enough robotics to start building soldiers. My guess would be the humans rebelled in the camps before it really had a viable army - so there were a quite a few terminators, but once people picked up plasma rifles they pretty quickly lost the durability advantage.

Plus, knocking down that assembly advantage wouldn't be too hard anyway - people put themselves together from other people. Terminators don't self-replicate their own chips, legs, sensors, actuators and weapons - so losing a factory would be a disaster for Skynet (and thus require major investments of defense in predictable places).

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    yes, to a plasma rifle I suppose man and machine really do look the same

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ScroffusScroffus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    yes, to a plasma rifle I suppose man and machine really do look the same

Because plasma rifles don't have eyes?

Scroffus on
  • Options
    FendallFendall Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've never had trouble suspending my disbelief of various terminator models. Way I figure it is that the actual design can be done in a flash by a super intelligent computer. The problem comes from actually manufacturing them, retooling factories etc.

Solution? Mass produce your standard T-888's for the everyday extermination of humanity and if you have a special mission build a special model with top of the range componants you can't afford to put in every single normal model.

Fendall on
  • Options
    Arch Guru XXArch Guru XX Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm surprised by all of the discussion around whether Cameron should be stronger than a T-888 - since they haven't identified her model and since she has repeatedly beaten T-888s in combat, it's clear to me that she is stronger than they are and therefore is clearly a more advanced model. We have no idea what the timeline of development on her model is; I mean really there's no reason she couldn't be an advanced T-X prototype, sans the plasma cannon arm and shapeshifting skin. That would give her a clear advantage over the T-8xx series.

Also I'm glad some of the posters here have noted the complete craziness of the T-1000's capabilities (and as an aside, I read in an interview that Shirley Mason is a T-1001 on the show, although the differences between the models have not been explained). I mean the T-X is a fairly logical jump from the T-800 series; stronger, faster, improved offense. The T-1000 might as well have be from 1000 years in the future for all the sense it makes from a relative complexity standpoint.

Arch Guru XX on
    Should have been a rock star.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm surprised by all of the discussion around whether Cameron should be stronger than a T-888 - since they haven't identified her model and since she has repeatedly beaten T-888s in combat, it's clear to me that she is stronger than they are and therefore is clearly a more advanced model. We have no idea what the timeline of development on her model is; I mean really there's no reason she couldn't be an advanced T-X prototype, sans the plasma cannon arm and shapeshifting skin. That would give her a clear advantage over the T-8xx series.

Yeah, I think this conversation died out a while ago. Didn't make much sense.

Also I'm glad some of the posters here have noted the complete craziness of the T-1000's capabilities (and as an aside, I read in an interview that Shirley Mason is a T-1001 on the show, although the differences between the models have not been explained). I mean the T-X is a fairly logical jump from the T-800 series; stronger, faster, improved offense. The T-1000 might as well have be from 1000 years in the future for all the sense it makes from a relative complexity standpoint.

"Advanced prototype."

I always got the feeling that the T1000 was one of a kind, where as the TX was the newest and best "production" model.

Then again I also always get the feeling that I'd prefer to pretend that T3 never happened. So what do I know.
    Fendall wrote: »

Solution? Mass produce your standard T-888's for the everyday extermination of humanity and if you have a special mission build a special model with top of the range componants you can't afford to put in every single normal model.

Exactly.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Its easier to think of a T-1000 as a nanite colony than just pure liquid metal with memory. Liquid metal is the best description but I don't think its particularly the function.

EDIT: ANd cameron wins because its necessary for the plot, having her looking fucked up every episode doesn't draw in the people who want to see her flex and bend.

And the series ends if she lets the family die so she has to win.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Do we really have to do that again? Let it go! D:

Raynaga on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Its not up for discussion. She wins because its cheaper tahn make up every week and because if she loses the show is over. Its not a debate, its a statement.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Double DeuceDouble Deuce Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Shens wrote: »
    I have seen the cancer wheel chair guy before...

Was he Dale on Jericho?

What? No.

Double Deuce on
  • Options
    hesthefastesthesthefastest Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'd like to point out that as soon as Skynet took over, it nuked the world. It had to create its whole industrial complex basically from scrath. That, combined with the fact it had a relatively low amount of physical bodies to start with, is why humanity has a chance against Skynet.

Just had a thought, how would skynet even begin to replicate and conquer? As seen in the the third film, when it attacked, it had a powerful software AI, lots of rolling tank robots, and a couple flying drones. It was really good at kicking ass, but it had to hands to build anything. Could it have even turned a doorknob?

hesthefastest on
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'd like to point out that as soon as Skynet took over, it nuked the world. It had to create its whole industrial complex basically from scrath. That, combined with the fact it had a relatively low amount of physical bodies to start with, is why humanity has a chance against Skynet.

Just had a thought, how would skynet even begin to replicate and conquer? As seen in the the third film, when it attacked, it had a powerful software AI, lots of rolling tank robots, and a couple flying drones. It was really good at kicking ass, but it had to hands to build anything. Could it have even turned a doorknob?

I think Skynet resorted to using forced labor, IIRC. I remember some talk about work camps in TSCC.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Could be more than one Skynet as well, soon as you get time travel you've opened up all manner of bizarre things (especially if Skynet is as desperate as it sometimes appears to be without much regard for fucking up timelines - T1000 could have been the result of repeated time travel R&D. Something that took an immortal AI 30 centuries to design but as far as the rest of the world is concerned its just a year or so of it working and then jumping back a year - 1 minute).

Whether it would add anything or take something away from the story I don't know, but I do like the idea of this whole thing being a result of two Skynet's messing with each other trying to make sure their future is the one that happens.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    TSCC also introduced the idea of "Greys", humans who are willfully helping Skynet in exchange for preference and reward.

Pony on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Well, originally, SkyNET was conceived as controlling a whole host of automated military systems- from factories, to aircraft, to missiles, etc. It then herded survivors into work camps to build what it still needed after that.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    Whether it would add anything or take something away from the story I don't know, but I do like the idea of this whole thing being a result of two Skynet's messing with each other trying to make sure their future is the one that happens.

Unfortunately that doesn't really make any sense, hehe. Either both branches of the future happen simultaneously (along with every branch from any decisions ever made) or only one ever happens and the alternate future ceases to exist when the different choice is made (so there couldn't be 2 Skynets to fight in the first place).

Time travel R&D is an interesting idea if you could send information back in time (which I guess Skynet could probably do). Using time travel like that trivializes pretty much everything, though. You could win every battle, for example, simply by seeing what would have worked after the battle's over and then going back and doing that thing.

midgetspy on
  • Options
    LizardLizard Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I just wanted to make sure you guys were aware of how cool the promotional posters for this show are, and how they somehow do some interesting foreshadowing.

http://www.terminatorchronicles.com/sarah-connor-chronicles-t-1000-poster-possible-spoiler/ is a nice collection of Catherine posters that suggest the difference between a T-1000 and a T-1001 is the gender cues of the default shape (if you recall, when he wasn't a puddle of goo or Robert Patrick, the original was a tall, square shouldered faceless silver man.) There's also one image of her face that'll jump out at you as an oddity to the plotline.

There's also an older promo image at http://www.terminatorchronicles.com/sarah-connor-chronicles-season-2-save-the-world-poster/ that spelled out Cromartie's fate pretty clearly.

Lizard on
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's starting to get really bizarre how Sarah Connor is becoming a minor character in a show named after her.

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Its not up for discussion. She wins because its cheaper tahn make up every week and because if she loses the show is over. Its not a debate, its a statement.

It's also a tautology. This is true for every show everywhere ever. "If the badguys kill everyone there's no more story" orly? Thanks, John Madden.

Just because Cameron must survive for the show to continue doesn't mean her survival is inconsistent with the show's internal logic. Frankly, we don't know what Cameron's model # is, and it doesn't really matter. What we know is she regularly stomps on other terminators, so she's probably a better model (or maybe better trained). The show has given you no reason to believe Cameron SHOULDN'T be able to beat up other terminators, so why are you making a problem where none exists? What's wrong with: Cameron is badass, the end?

valiance on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    It's starting to get really bizarre how Sarah Connor is becoming a minor character in a show named after her.

She was pretty prominent in the episode when she got sick and hallucinated and then the one with the Japanese dudes trying to scam her out of a lot of money. The latest one was all Cameron but I think she was due.

Edit: And Cameron hasn't really been stronger than any of the T-888's has she? When she fights them, she gets thrown around a lot too. It's not DBZ where she's taking punches full to the face and doesn't even flinch. It's just that she's a lot smarter AND she's got a lot more experience in terms of killing other terminators. She goes for the chip almost every time.

Underdog on
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

She was pretty prominent in the episode when she got sick and hallucinated and then the one with the Japanese dudes trying to scam her out of a lot of money. The latest one was all Cameron but I think she was due.

Guess I mostly forgot about that episode. I think it has to do with the fact that all the interesting development is involving characters other than her. Though I suppose that might be intended...

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed