As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"That thing on your head looks infected" HL

• Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    hambone wrote:
    I've played and re-played HL2 three times now, and have yet to finish it. I love it, until Ravenholm.

When those goddamn [spoiler:0541f6e4ba]fast zombies and poison headcrabs[/spoiler:0541f6e4ba] show up, I just can't bring myself to slog through it.

Killing Combine troops is fun, because I understand how humans move, and HL1 got me used to nailing headcrabs in midair. But those damn things in Ravenholm...

[spoiler:0541f6e4ba]They move so fast, and in such close quarters, and it's so hard to track their movements to get a headshot.[/spoiler:0541f6e4ba]

Pisses me off and I go play something else until I try again a few months later.

Gravity gun + Buzz saws is all you need for that area really.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I keep trying to finish HL2 but the game is so damn boring. Is it boring because I didn't play HL1, thus I don't really know the story?
    Why do you think it's boring?

Renzo on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    hambone wrote:
    I've played and re-played HL2 three times now, and have yet to finish it. I love it, until Ravenholm.

When those goddamn [spoiler:6bc6d07d1c]fast zombies and poison headcrabs[/spoiler:6bc6d07d1c] show up, I just can't bring myself to slog through it.

Killing Combine troops is fun, because I understand how humans move, and HL1 got me used to nailing headcrabs in midair. But those damn things in Ravenholm...

[spoiler:6bc6d07d1c]They move so fast, and in such close quarters, and it's so hard to track their movements to get a headshot.[/spoiler:6bc6d07d1c]

Pisses me off and I go play something else until I try again a few months later.

Also, there's a reason you get the shotgun there.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The shotgun is part of my problem. For me, trying to line up a headshot on those things in timing with the shotgun's rate of fire is like pulling teeth.

I've godmoded through it, only to quit later because I felt guilty for it.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    RageRage Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Merovingi wrote:
    Ahh, the great amount of time I had playing Half-Life when it was released. The best moments of all were discovering Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat when they were JUST released. I tell you, the early CS betas were the BEST moments of the game's life-span.

Hell, the whole HL experience was so great that (and I know I'm a minority on this) HL2 and its entire mod scene has been nothing but disappointing in comparison.

Oh I agree wholeheartedly, on all counts. The early CS days were another one of those magical gaming eras that I'll always look back on fondly.

HL2 is a beautiful game, and I appreciate Source for moving things forward, but it's just not what it once was, and may never really be now that publishers and studios know the market potential in mods. However, I'm extremely happy that dev houses like Valve and Epic (Unreal) still embrace and facilitate the mod community...maybe the next great engine will come along and we'll have another Counter-strike'esque mod come around to once again shift the way the world looks at gaming in some form.

Rage on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Rage wrote:
    Merovingi wrote:
    Ahh, the great amount of time I had playing Half-Life when it was released. The best moments of all were discovering Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat when they were JUST released. I tell you, the early CS betas were the BEST moments of the game's life-span.

Hell, the whole HL experience was so great that (and I know I'm a minority on this) HL2 and its entire mod scene has been nothing but disappointing in comparison.

Oh I agree wholeheartedly, on all counts. The early CS days were another one of those magical gaming eras that I'll always look back on fondly.

HL2 is a beautiful game, and I appreciate Source for moving things forward, but it's just not what it once was, and may never really be now that publishers and studios know the market potential in mods. However, I'm extremely happy that dev houses like Valve and Epic (Unreal) still embrace and facilitate the mod community...maybe the next great engine will come along and we'll have another Counter-strike'esque mod come around to once again shift the way the world looks at gaming in some form.
    my complaint is that it feels, sometimes, like there's too many teams out there trying to make the 'next counterstrike'. This is all well and good, but it just feels like there's people stifling their own creativity just to try and hit big with a popular multiplayer offshoot. Or this could be because multiplayer stuff has just never gripped me in the same way.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    hambone wrote:
    The shotgun is part of my problem. For me, trying to line up a headshot on those things in timing with the shotgun's rate of fire is like pulling teeth.

I've godmoded through it, only to quit later because I felt guilty for it.
    Things die if you shoot them in the torso too you know. Ammo isn't so scarce that you need to adopt a one shot one kill mentality to get through the area.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Wow.. That Black Mesa source vid.. It's obvious they are focusing first on the iconic areas (All of a sudden I hope they are working on OpFor, or at least its skeleton)...

BM:S will make a wonderful 10th anniversary gift to the HL community....

Because I swear, that level of design? They're getting help. They have to be. That's so far above and beyond a normal mod, even if they don't have to design the level architectures.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    [realspoiler:c35748d4b9]I have been meaning to beat HL1. I could never beat Ninlanth.
    I destroyed the crystals and the orbs around his head. BUT STILL HE PERSISTS WITH THAT DAMNED GREEN ORB OF "FUCK YOU' THAT SENDS TO A ROOM WITH THAT BIG BLUE THING THAT YOU CAN'T KILL.[/realspoiler:c35748d4b9]

[realspoiler:c35748d4b9]When you kill the orbs, all you have to do is shoot him a bunch of times, I believe.

Also, the "BIG BLUE THING" can be killed if you thrown enough firepower at it (Gluon Gun FTW)

Also, there is ammo and stuff in the water if you can stand to fight the big fish.[/realspoiler:c35748d4b9]

EDIT: BBCode CRITICAL FAILURE

Kaboodles_The_Assassin on
    sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    For the record, Half Life is about 1 year younger than Final Fantasy 7, I believe.

Statute of Limitations, folks. =P

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Aaron LeeAaron Lee Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Lach wrote:
    Aaron Lee wrote:
    This thread fails for not mentioning Team Fortress!

To be fair, Team Fortress was a Quakeworld mod. I really disliked Team Fortress Classic, maybe that's why I never think of TF when I think of Half-Life. I really hope TF2 gets me back into it because Team Fortress was, in my opinion, the best online multiplayer game I have ever played.

Right, but I figured referencing Team Fortress in the context of a Half-Life thread that it would be clear I meant TFC. On the case of TFC, I never played the original, and this was my first venture into online gaming. A venture that lasted three years with almost daily play. I can understand, for those having played the original mod, the update might not float your boat, but there are others of us where Half-Life is synonymous with Team Fortress Classic, and no anthology thread is complete without it :)

Aaron Lee on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Aaron Lee wrote:
    Lach wrote:
    Aaron Lee wrote:
    This thread fails for not mentioning Team Fortress!

To be fair, Team Fortress was a Quakeworld mod. I really disliked Team Fortress Classic, maybe that's why I never think of TF when I think of Half-Life. I really hope TF2 gets me back into it because Team Fortress was, in my opinion, the best online multiplayer game I have ever played.

Right, but I figured referencing Team Fortress in the context of a Half-Life thread that it would be clear I meant TFC. On the case of TFC, I never played the original, and this was my first venture into online gaming. A venture that lasted three years with almost daily play. I can understand, for those having played the original mod, the update might not float your boat, but there are others of us where Half-Life is synonymous with Team Fortress Classic, and no anthology thread is complete without it :)
    Count me in this group. I fucking loathed CS. TFC was my gaming life for a looong time in high school/college. In fact, that's where my username came from, when i got tired of playing using my real name.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Athenor wrote:
    For the record, Half Life is about 1 year younger than Final Fantasy 7, I believe.

Especially when all the problems in HL can be solved with either

A) Shoot it

B) Jump on it

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Athenor wrote:

A) Shoot it

B) Jump on it

Dude.... Crowbar.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Athenor wrote:

A) Shoot it (Or smack it with crowbar)

B) Jump on it

Dude.... Crowbar.

Oh yeah.

There.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    [realspoiler:449a39c04a]I have been meaning to beat HL1. I could never beat Ninlanth.
    I destroyed the crystals and the orbs around his head. BUT STILL HE PERSISTS WITH THAT DAMNED GREEN ORB OF "FUCK YOU' THAT SENDS TO A ROOM WITH THAT BIG BLUE THING THAT YOU CAN'T KILL.[/realspoiler:449a39c04a]
    The green orb dissipates when it hits one of the various stalagmites around the room. Run behind one when he fires it.

Also, once you've destroyed the orbs/crystals, I think his head peels open like a banana. There are 3 bounce pads in the room with varying strengths - find the strongest one, and use it to launch yourself above his head. While up there, shoot his banana brain.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    Elessar ElfstoneElessar Elfstone Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    This is one of the few games that truely blew me away when I played it. The interactiveness of the world was just amazing at the time.

My #2 game of all time, behind Tie Fighter CD Edition.

Elessar Elfstone on
    Tobias: Or it could be your colon. I'd want to get in there and find some answers.

Forsake, Warlock of Stonemaul
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    [realspoiler:fdb8af8033]I have been meaning to beat HL1. I could never beat Ninlanth.
    I destroyed the crystals and the orbs around his head. BUT STILL HE PERSISTS WITH THAT DAMNED GREEN ORB OF "FUCK YOU' THAT SENDS TO A ROOM WITH THAT BIG BLUE THING THAT YOU CAN'T KILL.[/realspoiler:fdb8af8033]
    The green orb dissipates when it hits one of the various stalagmites around the room. Run behind one when he fires it.

Also, once you've destroyed the orbs/crystals, I think his head peels open like a banana. There are 3 bounce pads in the room with varying strengths - find the strongest one, and use it to launch yourself above his head. While up there, shoot his banana brain.

I once landed inside his head. Unfortunately I hadn't destroyed the orbs yet so I couldn't do anything. It was glitchy and weird.

Kaboodles_The_Assassin on
    sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    pyromoshpyromosh Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I remember being awed by a game called SiN. Played the demo, it semi-raped my system at the time, but it was impressive.

Then like a month or so later, I hear all this buzz about this other game called Half-Life. It's a FPS, which is a genre I don't typically enjoy all that much.

But there's a shit-ton of buzz and I eventually try it.

So I download the demo "Uplink". I sit through, I swear to god like five minutes of text intro.

"Game of the year - Gamepro"
    "Game of the year - EGN"
    "Game of the year - VG&CE"
    "Game of the year - Maximum PC"
    "Game of the year - Gamespy"
    etc...

Then after all that, the demo still blew me away.

The game... amazing. Great story telling vehicle. I played it until I got to the part [spoiler:8dd25ce40c]where the pit-worm is living in the missile silo[/spoiler:8dd25ce40c]. Then my poor system just couldn't keep up with all that was going on at once in that room. So I shelved the game for a few months until I upgraded. Blew through the rest of the game as soon as I had a system that could handle it, and then immediatly played it again.

I've hungrily devoured any Half-Life content I could ever since. Played everything but Decay (I don't own a PS2).

I don't think I have a top game of all time. But this game would have to be included in any top X games list I would ever make.

pyromosh on
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Lost Coast was also the first glimpse we got at HDR, which was a pretty incredible experience.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited February 2007
    Toast wrote:
    Needs more Uplink. Best demo ever.

I remember getting the demo when I bought a Rage 128 32mb video card. It was the first 3d accelerated card I had. I played the demo with a joystick, and HL1 with it as well for about a year or so online (deathmatch) until some guys were having duels and I wasn't doing too badly. I informed them of my using a joystick which resulted in some amazement but mostly laughter.

bombardier on
  • Options
    scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    in case someone hasn't seen it yet, 45min speed run of HL1. by a forumer, too, if I recall correctly.

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    Charlie_Foxtrot2Charlie_Foxtrot2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    crowbar.gif

Credit goes to Tallyrand.

The image is the Creepy thread in DND.

I had to do this, as this thread is making my craving for Half Life unbearable.

1000085gq2.jpg
    I'm gonna Gordan Freeman this bitch!

Charlie_Foxtrot2 on
    logo%20graf%201.jpg
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    in case someone hasn't seen it yet, 45min speed run of HL1. by a forumer, too, if I recall correctly.
    It's by PA forumer RandomEngy, though the 30 minute run just recently beat his record by a lot.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    My crowbar is GOLDEN.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    HubHub Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    thorgot wrote:
    It's by PA forumer RandomEngy, though the 30 minute run just recently beat his record by a lot.

Why the intro is not in first person?

Hub on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hub wrote:
    thorgot wrote:

Why the intro is not in first person?

Stylistic choice? They try to make them entertaining too.
    Btw that 30 minute run blew me away.
    The gren charge hyper bunny hopping through the railways filled with those electric rails on 1 hit point for like 3 minutes was just beautiful.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You know I've always found it funny that what everyone calls a crowbar isn't a crowbar. It's a wrecking bar. A true crowbar is about 6 or 7 feet long, perfectly straight with a flattened wedge head on one end and would do a hell of a lot more damage if you got hit with it.

Crowbars just become the common term for any bar used to pry I guess.

Prybar=Small flat bar used for nails, crown molding, and other light weight use prying tasks.
    prybar.jpg
    Wreckingbar = Solid round or hexagonal bar used for moderate prying tasks such as wooden wall demolition.
    Wrecking_Bar.jpg
    Crowbar = Big fucking bar of steel used to position rails on railway ties. r in the case of using on my dads farm, positioning posts in holes.
    hawml17895.jpg

Thus concludes your anal retentive post of the day.

Now choose your weapon!

CROW%20BAR_392.jpg

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've played the demo levels of HL2. they were excellent, especially the fucked-up future dystopia city thing in the beginning.

also, uh, [spoiler:97520bb631]I never beat HL1[/spoiler:97520bb631]

[spoiler:97520bb631] Neither did I. I saw my friend do it, though. That's not really the same, is it?[/spoiler:97520bb631]

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The Gonarch has fallen and some thing started speaking to me now. It's really creepy whatever it. All I can say is Half Life has cemented it's self in my top 10 games of all time now.

Artoria on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    [realspoiler:caa1d6c0fa]I have been meaning to beat HL1. I could never beat Ninlanth.
    I destroyed the crystals and the orbs around his head. BUT STILL HE PERSISTS WITH THAT DAMNED GREEN ORB OF "FUCK YOU' THAT SENDS TO A ROOM WITH THAT BIG BLUE THING THAT YOU CAN'T KILL.[/realspoiler:caa1d6c0fa]

I once landed inside his head. Unfortunately I hadn't destroyed the orbs yet so I couldn't do anything. It was glitchy and weird.

I landed on top of his brain man. On top of it. I had alrady shot him with some rockets. Once I landed, I used up my pistol, and then pummeled him with my crowbar until he died. Oh man it was glorious.

Only time I ever beat this game, and only time I ever cheered out loud when I beat a game.

This game is in my top 5 with Tie Fighter, Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight, Diablo 1, and Civ 2.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Athenor wrote:

A) Shoot it

B) Jump on it

Oddly enough, it works the same way in Super Mario Bros. Now if only Nintendo would've thought to add a crowbar.

Doronron on
  • Options
    JeakJeak Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    hambone wrote:

When those goddamn [spoiler:4de12a73b3]fast zombies and poison headcrabs[/spoiler:4de12a73b3] show up, I just can't bring myself to slog through it.

[spoiler:4de12a73b3]They move so fast, and in such close quarters, and it's so hard to track their movements to get a headshot.[/spoiler:4de12a73b3]

The key to this bit is using the shotgun and not being jumpy. You'll kill a fast zombie with a single double-blast of the shotgun. They do relatively little damage so wait till they jump at you and don't bother with a headshot.

Jeak on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    thorgot wrote:

I don't understand what he's doing with that gauss gun from time to time. He just charges it up and randomly shoot things and suddenly he's flying forward.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    matt7718matt7718 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I have found HL2 Deathmatch to be very entertaining, with the variety of weapons AND the gravity gun.

There is nothing more satisfying than risking it and making a kill with the crowbar. That and really long distance well-timed crossbow shots.

matt7718 on
    mattsig.jpg
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I get really fed up with the crossbow in HL2DM. In HLDM the crossbow was too strong, however, so I'm thinking they went with the better balanced gameplay this time around.

I used to PWNFACE at HLDM. Seriously, I'd have categorized myself in the top3 players of all time.. when I played religiously of course. Now an infant without arms could probably kill me at the game.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    And did anyone play CD when bunnyhopping was first discovered? I remember learning to do it, and then a month later it was patched out.

I had a friend enter a trick jump contest (it didnt have to involve bunnyhopping, but it could), although he entered past deadline and wasnt eligible to win they released his video online anyway, which happened to be the exact trick jump the winner had done, but backwards. :twisted:

matt7718 on
    mattsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    4rch3nemy wrote:
    I get really fed up with the crossbow in HL2DM. In HLDM the crossbow was too strong, however, so I'm thinking they went with the better balanced gameplay this time around.

I used to PWNFACE at HLDM. Seriously, I'd have categorized myself in the top3 players of all time.. when I played religiously of course. Now an infant without arms could probably kill me at the game.

Yeah I thinkt he problem with the xbow was that the entire projectile would kill you, and it was long. So if it had already passed most of your body, if your leg touched the end of it, you took fully damage. Running into it from the side would kill you.

I was pretty good at the HL version of quake deathmatch, Deathmatch Classic. The problem being i think im only good at quake style DM. I simply cannot adapt to games like UT.

matt7718 on
    mattsig.jpg
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I get tired of deathmatch games really fast, I need some kind of team goal to work for, or I don't get motivated. Also, Half-Life was so freaking amazing when it came out. Half-Life 2 did not disappoint at all. I rather enjoyed the ending, because cliffhangers mean I get to play MORE HALF-LIFE! YAY!

Episode 2 + Portal + TF2

Can you think of a better deal ever having existed?

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Crashmo wrote:
    Episode 2 + Portal + TF2

Can you think of a better deal ever having existed?

Episode 2 + Portal + TF2 + mouthsex

4rch3nemy on