As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My Breasts Are Not Meat Buns: Let's Talk About BlazBlue

AroducAroduc regular
edited January 2009 in Games and Technology
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZT_7G2l-fU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlJ2TORj8_E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UetbuUavLQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LUWItgLDI4

Shitload more arcade recordings here:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=geesendou&view=videos

BlazBlue is the spiritual successor to Guilty Gear, yada yada yada.

So, I admit that I'm not all that big a fan of Guilty Gear, but it honestly looks like BlazBlue is a bit of a step backwards from it. All of the characters seem quite a bit slower without any real speedsters (Taokaka is about as close as it gets, but her speed moves are all special attacks), and the voices drive me insane. Every character has a voice sample, usually a long one, attached to every fucking thing. Some of the more loquacious characters, like Bang, just give me a goddamned headache when they attempt to say three different things all at the same time.

It also looks like it has some balance issues, though that could just be an artifact of the players. Arakune's trigger is that when people get hit (or block) his projectiles (which home), swarms of insects start attacking them until they can hit him, including from off screen. Characters without some form of projectile are basically locked down. I also haven't seen a single decent Rachel or Carl player at all and very few good Bang players.

It's been out arcades for both Japan and the US for a couple weeks now, but I honestly have no idea where the nearest arcade is, nor have I really had the urge to check it out. I'm curious to hear some opinions if other people have though.

Aroduc on

• Sol InvictusSol Invictus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Does it have a sexually confused nun?

Sol Invictus on
  • LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Is that..

Is that a dealbreaker for you?

Lasbrook on
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Man, he's not confused at all.

I have heard mostly good things about this game from people who have played them.

Now I wish that they would hurry up with a console port. :(

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2008
    Aroduc on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Is there a reason a round is called a "rebel"?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Lasbrook wrote: »

Is that..

Is that a dealbreaker for you?

It is for me.

:winky:

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm actually looking forward to this. Couldn't get past GG's character designs, even though I thought the game was alright. This seems much more promising, and if GG is any indication I'm sure there'll be a half dozen balance/remixes in the next 6 months.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Page- wrote: »
    I'm actually looking forward to this. Couldn't get past GG's character designs, even though I thought the game was alright. This seems much more promising, and if GG is any indication I'm sure there'll be a half dozen balance/remixes in the next 6 months.

Huh, they honestly don't look that far removed to me but i've only had those youtube vids to go off of. Have you checked out Battle Fantasia? It has a completely different character design.

And Pata i think Chris Hansen would like to have a talk with you.

Lasbrook on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2008
    Battle Fantasia is bad as far as fighting games go.

Really bad.

Interesting art style.

Shame they couldn't make an interesting game.

Aroduc on
  • JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Battle Fantasia is bad as far as fighting games go.

Really bad.

Haha what?

Why is it you say this?

Jubeh on
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Same reason rounds were called 'reductions' in The World End With You. Japanese people think random English words sound cool.

Food on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, Battle Fantasia looks exceedingly boring and unfun. I've heard it's not that great, either.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    edited December 2008
    Man so much hate. ):

You should at least play it, though.

Edit: I just wanted to add that I thought the game looked really retarded when I first saw it, but if you can get over the character designs, the game is solid. All the stupid broken shit from the arcade release is fixed in the console version, but there's still the option to turn it on if you're like a masochist or something.

It plays a lot like if GG and 3S were meshed together, but with less combo memorization and a less stupid parry system. There are two different parries in this game, each with it's own risk and reward, and a whiff animation. Not to mention that all the characters play differently, even if they fit into the typical archtypes (but with a twist). Even the two shotos are nothing alike.

Jubeh on
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Aroduc wrote: »

That's a he.

Really, people, no traps in this game.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Prot3usProt3us Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I get to play this the 19th. A guy I know is bringing it to one of our usual tournies..Yes he bought the board and attached it to an lcd screen + two hraps.

Prot3us on
    edited December 2008
    I wont get to play this until the 23rd, but the general impressions seem to be that everyone still thinks this is Guilty Gear, plays, and then realize how wrong they are. The game seems slower, and has a much more prominent footsies game than Guilty Gear had. I think it's a turn for the better, though.

Balance issues the first month a game comes out really don't mean shit, though, for anyone with worries. Remember week 1 of SF4 when everyone thought Rufus was god tier? I just hope no HnK style BS pops up.

Jubeh on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2008
    Hnk would be hard to top for inane stupidity though.

Arakune just seems like he'd be impossible to balance though. Homing shots that summon endless swarms of insects from off the side fo the screen to hit you every half second? Something seems wrong about that. I guess they could just reduce the insect spawn rate though.

Aroduc on
    edited December 2008
    I used to play HnK semi-decently, and it's not as retarded as people want it to be, as long as dribble infinites aren't used. But you know. Dribble infinites. They're there. Fuck'em.

Anyway.

I think this early on in the game's lifespan, time should be spent finding ways around things, and not finding ways to nerf them.

Edit: Lol I'm reading up on DL. Apparently Arakune has 80 hit combos that do like no damage.

Jubeh on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2008
    Jubeh wrote: »
    I used to play HnK semi-decently, and it's not as retarded as people want it to be, as long as dribble infinites aren't used. But you know. Dribble infinites. They're there. Fuck'em.

Anyway.

I think this early on in the game's lifespan, time should be spent finding ways around things, and not finding ways to nerf them.

Edit: Lol I'm reading up on DL. Apparently Arakune has 80 hit combos that do like no damage.

Just that you can stunlock someone for that long is an issue that bears taking care of. I have nothing against bugs in games. MBAA had combos that would literally crash the system from reduction underflow errors. He just seems exceptionally poorly setup from the getgo.

Aroduc on
    edited December 2008
    He will be the first one I use when I play, and I will find out first hand.

Jubeh on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I never understood the Japanese fascination with extremely annoying character and announcer voices in games. I'm still having nightmares with the announcer from SF Alpha 3.

I can imagine that hearing "The wheel of fate is turning" for the 800th time would cause me to toss the game out the window.

edit: rebel 1? seriously? Can't they hire a real translator instead of just babel fishing everything?

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If you are used to Guilty Gear, you might find BB a bit hard to get into, because it feels so much slower than GG. It's not that having played GG automatically makes you dislike slower fighting games, but in this case you just can't help but think that you're playing something that is meant to be awfully like GG, and as such the speed comparison gets thrown in your face. Plenty of GG players have grown to love the game, at the very least because it isn't GG, which they've been playing in its various revisions over the past X years.

If you come up to BC, there's at least one arcade that has it. But the machine is quite dead every time I've been there... when it comes to fighting games, everybody there is too busy playing either Gundam vs. Gundam or SF4. Those "plenty of players" I mentioned earlier are to the exclusion of the regular bunch in BC, it would seem.

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Is there a reason it's called BlazBlue?

Yes, there is: the Japanese make no sense.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is there a site with machine locations yet? I want to play it in Tucson, but I sincerely doubt that's going to happen before a console release.

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is there a site with machine locations yet? I want to play it in Tucson, but I sincerely doubt that's going to happen before a console release.

I'd love to play this somewhere in Toronto, ON, but the Funland arcade closed down several months ago, and I don't know of ANY other arcades in the city besides Canada's Wonderland which more than likely won't have it because they don't bother getting bleeding edge games (coupled with the fact that the park won't be open until Mid-Spring means this game won't be anything special by then).

So seriously, anywhere in Toronto to play this?

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2009
    Google says yes. Some place called Lovegety?

Aroduc on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Which thread are we sticking with folks?

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Huh, that's quite a bit aways... I've never even heard of the place, and that's a real strange name. It sounds like bad engrish for an adult "bookstore".

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    I've always wanted to get into Guilty Gear but never mustered finding a copy, and I'll wait patiently for BB... The only problem is that I have absolutely zero experience playing fighting games to any real depth even though I like most fighting games. The minutes concepts like frames or stunlocks etc. are bandied about I am out of the loop, and Stockholm probably doesn't have a committed tourny population large enough to have gradients ranging from "enthusiast willing to have the shit beaten out of him in order to improve" to "that one guy who like parried all those lightning kicks in that youtube video".

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2009
    Guilty Gear is a really bad place to start if you're gonna get into fighting games, because if you ever want to learn Street Fighter you'll have to start from scratch. Most people believe that you should start with a zoning oriented game like Street Fighter, and then after you understand the basics, move on to the combo games. Not to say that you couldn't start with a combo game, it's just that you'll develop bad habits that will get you killed in games without airblocks or the million defensive options GG gives you.

Jubeh on
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Everytime a new Arc fighter comes out I wonder if their non-traditional announcements will top the original XX's "HEAVEN OR HELL, DUEL 1, LET'S ROCK!" because that one is the most fucking bad ass announcement imo.

Anyway, it's coming to the 360 right? I'm not feeling the rather 'tepid' pace of the game, but I'll give it a shot anyways since it looks so nice. Hope there'll be a demo out.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    TheStig wrote: »
    I never understood the Japanese fascination with extremely annoying character and announcer voices in games. I'm still having nightmares with the announcer from SF Alpha 3.

I can imagine that hearing "The wheel of fate is turning" for the 800th time would cause me to toss the game out the window.

edit: rebel 1? seriously? Can't they hire a real translator instead of just babel fishing everything?

Wrong. This is wrong. The actual soundbite is, of course, "Gorilla fate is turning.", and this is what you will hear instead of the deceiving acousma you so naively referred to from now on.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SparrowSparrow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Has there been any info on a console port? I Mean, we all know its coming eventually but I'd like to know when.

Sparrow on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]