As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Time to get a dog.

2»

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    be aware of overfeeding them. large breed puppies need special diets to keep them from growing too fast.

newfies are sweet dogs, but likely wont be a running partner.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think the only way to choose is to go to a pound and find a dog you connect with. Then consider if it's too big or the breed too crazy to deal with. My family got our dog from the pound, and he's been the cutest, smartest, most obedient (and cheekiest) member of our family. I took care of him by myself for a few years, and he was a great pal. While I had him in an apartment I had to walk him twice a day, once in the morning and once at night. Great excuse to get out of the house and a little bit fitter.

Good luck :D

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You should get a German Shepherd. They are fantastic dogs that get a bit of a bad rap, but the fact that they're used for police dogs, seeing eye dogs, bomb sniffers, and all sorts of other uses tends to get overlooked.

I may be a bit partial, however, as my family had almost nothing but shepherds growing up. Also I wouldn't exist if it weren't for them. My Dad lived in an apartment with my Mom, and he met her delivering a package to her because the delivery guy was afraid of her dog.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    While that is a good story, my sister was attacked by a German Shepherd growing up, as was another girl who was my age at my school. She had to have plastic surgery because the dog messed up her face so badly. And that isn't even all, my last roommate had to put his German Shepherd down because it attacked someone.

Part of the reason I selected the Newfoundland is because of its temperament being so great that it almost never bites or attacks anyone. It seems to be the least aggressive breed that I can find. I would hate to have to put down my dog because some retarded kid did something stupid and the dog reacted to it poorly. I don't doubt they are great dogs, and it largely comes down to how they are trained, but I just don't want to have to worry about it really.

rts on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    cakemikz wrote: »
    While that is a good story, my sister was attacked by a German Shepherd growing up, as was another girl who was my age at my school. She had to have plastic surgery because the dog messed up her face so badly. And that isn't even all, my last roommate had to put his German Shepherd down because it attacked someone.

Part of the reason I selected the Newfoundland is because of its temperament being so great that it almost never bites or attacks anyone. It seems to be the least aggressive breed that I can find. I would hate to have to put down my dog because some retarded kid did something stupid and the dog reacted to it poorly. I don't doubt they are great dogs, and it largely comes down to how they are trained, but I just don't want to have to worry about it really.

Given those circumstances, I can certainly understand your reluctance. For what it's worth, in the dozen or so shepherds my family has had, not one has ever hurt anyone. But that's statistics for you.

It might be for the best anyway; I know that Shepherds tend to get lonely unless they have someone with them, either another dog or a person staying with them. I haven't known any of ours to get destructive from it, but their mood noticably declines when there's nobody else around. Oh, and unless you live someplace cool all year round(i.e. New England or higher probably) they will shed. A lot.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, I am concerned about the Newfoundland in San Diego because of the heat. But there seems to be plenty of them around (San Diego has its own Newfoundland club) so hopefully it will be OK. I am also worried about my stairs, which are rather steep. Would that be a problem for a large dog?

rts on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If he develops hip problems, yes, that could be a problem. Make sure you get him to the vet regularly. You might want to consider a Newfie mix, a little smaller might be a better choice.

That said, the couple Newfies I've met have been wonderful. Big, dopey hairballs that love everyone.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    a lot of hip problems can be prevented by getting from a good breeder and making sure they dont grow to fast. also being aware fo them jumping around at an early age ( in out of car etc).

also don't ever let it sleep on your bed as a puppy. it will not be cool when its 150 pounds. don't let it do anything that would not be cool if it was full grown since habits built early do not ever get broken later

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I grew up with an Australian Shepherd. They are very friendly, and wonderful dogs. They are working dogs so you will need to give one sufficient physical exercise.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's worth mentioning that crosse/mongrels tend to be much more resistant to disease than purebreds, if you're worried about vet bills.
    Our dog is a rescue dog, some kind of alsatian/collie/labrador cross, and ridiculously friendly. She's just a little dim.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Thanks for your help everyone, thought I would drop an update now that I got my dog.

Hes a brown Newfoundland puppy. He has been pretty great so far with the exception of an insane amount of crying/whining when crated last night. Been working on that today, and I hope it will go a bit better tonight.

Here are some photos if you are interested.
    1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

rts on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    sometimes if you keep the crate by your bed and you can just drop your hand down so he can smell it it works. just be strong with the whiining crying, eventually he will stop. as soon as you cave it will never work. also don't let him get away with things that you wouldn't want him doing when he is full grown.

crate training is difficult in most people give in to the crying. at night when you are letting him out to pee, make sure he gets that its pee time and not play time.

enjoy him while he is little and can get away with being bad since he is cute

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Such a cute dog, I just wanna hold him and cuddle him....so cute!

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    mts wrote: »
    sometimes if you keep the crate by your bed and you can just drop your hand down so he can smell it it works. just be strong with the whiining crying, eventually he will stop. as soon as you cave it will never work. also don't let him get away with things that you wouldn't want him doing when he is full grown.

crate training is difficult in most people give in to the crying. at night when you are letting him out to pee, make sure he gets that its pee time and not play time.

I haven't given into the crying yet, but the problem is that I am in a townhouse with shared walls on either side. If my neighbors complain...I am going to be in a bad situation. He doesn't just whine/cry either...he barks and howls...and when that goes on for four hours straight...it is really bad.

rts on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    cakemikz wrote: »
    mts wrote: »

I haven't given into the crying yet, but the problem is that I am in a townhouse with shared walls on either side. If my neighbors complain...I am going to be in a bad situation. He doesn't just whine/cry either...he barks and howls...and when that goes on for four hours straight...it is really bad.

How big does that breed get?

useless4 on
  • Options
    ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    useless4 wrote: »

BIG.
    000001821700.jpg
    Gavin_10Months_With_River_a.jpg

Thylacine on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That is going to be a big freaking dog. But Newfies are such sweethearts that it doesn't matter how big they are.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    They're giant teddy bears, basically.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah the sire of the litter this pup came from was 155 lbs, but he was the biggest pup in the litter so I am hoping he will exceed that.

OK, I tried a couple new things to get him to quiet down in his kennel and they seemed to work for awhile anyways. I put some music on for him, though that would have only lasted an hour, and I put a towel that smelled like me in there with him. I didn't hear a peep from him until his crying woke me up a few hours later. Tonight I will try the same thing, but with some more mellow music...and a lot more of it so it doesn't end in just an hour.

Another nice thing is he seems at least somewhat housebroken, he still pees inside quite a bit but he will usually go outside on his own if I leave the door open, and he has not crapped inside yet..he seems to always want to go outside to crap. Anyone have any advice on convincing him to also want to be outside to pee?

rts on
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Go outside with him and reward him like crazy when he pees out there, with praise and treats. Do this for poop too, even if he's already doing it. He should get the idea that elminating outside = greatest thing ever. When he's inside, try not to give him the opportunity to fail. That involves watching him and scooting him out the door if he starts to squat/lift leg. When you aren't home you can either crate him or leave him in a small room with a washable floor. And if he goes on the carpet clean it with an enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle.

Regarding your neighbors, what if you bought a white noise generator? Would that block out his barking? You might want to talk to them and explain that you're training your puppy and you're very sorry for the noise, but it will get better soon. And butter them up with cookies.

LadyM on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, I am going to go talk to them in a half hour or so. The good news is that one of them grew up with Newfoundlands and he loves them, so he was kind of excited I was getting one. And also, they recently had a baby...so they are kind of accustomed to crying at night.

I may trying locking him in the bathroom today, but I would rather he just learned to appreciate his crate.

rts on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    stick with the crate. it will pay off in the log run especially if for some reason he needs to be boarded or stay at the vet.

i have heard people putting in an alarm clock to simulate the heartbeat of litter mates etc. not like an electronic one obviously

you just need to have patience and a stronger will then him with regards to the howling at night. eventually he will stop

as far as the peeing goes defitnitely reward like crazy when he pees outside and make it seem liek the greatest thing ever

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thylacine wrote: »
    useless4 wrote: »

BIG.
    000001821700.jpg
    Gavin_10Months_With_River_a.jpg

Jesus Christ. Thats the biggest dog I have ever seen.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    They look like such sweeties though! Puppy is damn cute, I'm learning a lot of training dogs from these kinds of threads. Thanks!

Underdog on
  • Options
    Werewolf GamerWerewolf Gamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Grats on the new dog. What a cutie pie! Have you named him yet? (sorry if i missed that in the thread).
    We are heading to Houston to meet a rescue dog we might be adopting. Although we're going the German Shepherd route and she's about 2 years. We wanted a dog that was past puppy stage and housebroken. Plus i have small children and she's great with kids.

Anyway with any dog there's always some adjustment time. Routines work best with dogs so see if you can get a routine going. That will help the puppy with crate training and house training.

Werewolf Gamer on