As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GEARS OF WAR 2

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Renzo wrote: »
    I cringe at one line.

Dom: "If Coletrain got sick in the Raven, he must be taggin' the walls with chuke."

I dunno. "Let me light up Betty's titties" was pretty terrible.

Undead Scottsman on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I cringe at one line.

Dom: "If Coletrain got sick in the Raven, he must be taggin' the walls with chuke."

But I know people like that. And I work in rural Oxfordshire, where etiquette comes from.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    I cringe at one line.

But I know people like that. And I work in rural Oxfordshire, where etiquette comes from.

Yeah, this is a piece of criticism I don't get about Gears of War 2. Do people not realize that different regions have different accents and grammar styles? We don't get stereotypes because people are making crap up, we get them because large numbers of people actually exhibit common and easily identifiable tendencies. Would people rather that everybody in a game act and sounds exactly alike instead of making it sound half-real by having a bunch of different people talk a bunch of different ways?

I've heard people that talk like anybody in GoW2 (except for the Locust, I guess). Really. They aren't made-up accents or behaviors. How does portraying actual behavioral types and speech styles merit criticism merely for existing?

Ninja Snarl P on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    People confuse depicting dumb meatheads with having a dumb meat-headed game. I think a lot of my toleration for the dialogue came from the fact I played the game in two sittings, so I had a good break, and played it with a friend. Every time a character went "holy shit a giant worm" it was pretty much exactly what we had just said, like the moment before he said it I said "holy shit thats a big worm." This happened so many times I developed a real appreciation of the characters, they were in it with me. Jovial and laughing in the face of danger, but also aware of its very real threat to their lives, there was nothing outlandish here, at least not in compared to any other video game.

Often games will have characters that do and say things I have no connection with and outright disagree with. Never happened in Gears 2. They were dumb meatheads but I believed they were in the situation they were in and I didnt find anything they did or said out of character. Whenever Cole went on a tirade Marcus would tell him to be quiet, there was no uniform bravado and crazyness amongst the characters, they behaved as a team would, but each reacted in their own way to situations. For every crazy boast of bravado, there was a level-headed response, or retort. There were as many solemn moments of genuine concern amongst the characters as there were 'fuck yes eat shit and die' moments, and more importantly they were paced well and moved in and out of each mood slowly and with a considered arch.

Anyway ive spoken too much about this, but it just bugs me that people think its full of crappy writing when it really isnt, it seems just to attract a 'me-too' reaction from people.

Also yes the ending was a vehicle section, but really most games would've ended like 4 levels before that, I kept expecting it to end at any moment, so everything was a bonus. And holy shit what a vehicle level, destructible environments and a hugely satisfying ending cutscene that provides ample resolution, reconnects you with all the characters, as well as setting up the next game. Pretty much every game in recent memory could learn a thing or two about how to provide an effective and rewarding ending cinematic from Gears 2.

That little heart tap that 'you know who' does on the helicopter at the end for Marcus is writing, and damn good writing at that.

Prohass on
  • SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Would anyone want to assist me in the final act of gears?

I'm on hardcore and it's a BITCH when dom decides to be useless.

Sanius on
    edited December 2008
    Sanius wrote: »

Try doing it on Insane when Dom decides he doesn't want to help anymore.

Though I'd perfer that to the time when he runs fucking into the worst spot in the area, gets downed, and I have to run over there and save his ass and hope to hell the Mauler doesn't kill him, me or both.

The AI is comically bad at times.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited December 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    I cringe at one line.

Just because you know people like that doesn't make it good dialog :D I'm not saying rewrite everything Dizzy says (in fact, almost everything he says is fine.) but "Light up betty's titties" I think crosses the line from funny, to just plain dumb. But that's just my take on it.

Undead Scottsman on
  • SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Then the AI point plank headshots two locust in the face with a sniper rifle. really, it just can't be relied on.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    *sigh* I'm really hoping the connection issues don't kill the online community for this game. I really hope they fix them soon too.

Inquisitor on
  • ZaceZace Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    *sigh* I'm really hoping the connection issues don't kill the online community for this game. I really hope they fix them soon too.

Me too. I've been trying to get a multiplayer game for 15 mins. Ran over here to see if anyone didn't want to do horde.

Zace on
  • Trojan35Trojan35 I want Too Human 2. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sanius wrote: »

Wait. Wait. WAIT.

There are times when Dom isn't useless?!?

Day eleventybillionone waiting for my xbox repair to be returned.

Trojan35 on
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Though I'd perfer that to the time when he runs fucking into the worst spot in the area, gets downed, and I have to run over there and save his ass and hope to hell the Mauler doesn't kill him, me or both.

Dom helped in hardcore? I never noticed. Well, he does draw fire. That's about all one can ask for.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Man the worm is so much better on insane.

Although I'm stuck in the intestines, keep running into this dead end and I don't see any other paths.

Edit: Nevermind, forgot to chainsaw.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Zace wrote: »

Me too. I've been trying to get a multiplayer game for 15 mins. Ran over here to see if anyone didn't want to do horde.

is it because you're playing at 5:30 am

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • jakonovskijakonovski Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sea monster boss can suck my balls.

Because we all love having to do a boss fight over and over because Marcus gets stuck in the fucking scenery.

jakonovski on
    edited December 2008
    Zace wrote: »

is it because you're playing at 5:30 am

No. I try playing at like 5p.m. pst on Saturdays. :P

Inquisitor on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    jakonovski wrote: »
    Sea monster boss can suck my balls.

Because we all love having to do a boss fight over and over because Marcus gets stuck in the fucking scenery.

Yeah, that part sucks arse. I'm dreading that on Insane, actually.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, that part sucks arse. I'm dreading that on Insane, actually.

I gets worse soon afterwards, I'm getting bugged levers where you need to lift up bits of cover. It's really awesome trying to survive in the open.

jakonovski on
    edited December 2008
    My favourite part of insane so far is defending Baird a he repairs the tank, where you have to fight off 2 reavers that land about 15 feet in front of you and will kill you in 10 seconds if you haven't killed them first. And 10 seconds of continous fire is not enough to bring them down.

I eventually did it by running to the opposite side of the map and getting the reaver stuck inside the roof.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Rami wrote: »
    My favourite part of insane so far is defending Baird a he repairs the tank, where you have to fight off 2 reavers that land about 15 feet in front of you and will kill you in 10 seconds if you haven't killed them first. And 10 seconds of continous fire is not enough to bring them down.

I eventually did it by running to the opposite side of the map and getting the reaver stuck inside the roof.
    Weird, I did not have a problem at all with that part, got it on my first try on insane. The part that got me was the centaur level at the end before you go into the cave you have to go down that ramp with the tower and gate guarding the entrance. That took me at least 20 tries to get, such a stupid game mechanic
    You can't actually kill the turrets, you have to shoot the tower instead, but not until one of the character says to.

Fizban140 on
    edited December 2008
    Yeah that got me for a while too, what I did was reverse down the ramp, then as soon as he gives the line boost back up and hide behind the wall and shoot it from there.

That section is so dumb, about 4 seconds of fire from one of those turrets will destroy you and it takes almost 2 clips of rockets to get the tower down. It would be a lot easier in co-op since then you can have someone shooting while you drive around to avoid the fire, but in single player you can only move where you're shooting.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • davidbarrydavidbarry Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Woo, beat Hardcore Horde mode with a friend last night.

davidbarry on
    davidbarry.jpg
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    God, it's great to be playing a game that doesn't get proper checkpoints. Hi, Gears 2! FUCK YOU. Goddammit, if I have to hear an equivalency to, "Look at all that juice..." in this game an absurd amount of times, I will stop playing because that is stupid, retarded, fucked-up, backwards ass game making.

Chainsawing people is still cool and all the little tricks an tweaks make it certainly a better game. Playing through campaign co-op and laughing at the ridiculous dialogue is also fun. There's Bruce Campbell, Stuart Gordon B-movie fun and there's DTV "I'm a better goddamn director than any of those fucks and I'm gonna prove it!" B-movie. This is the later. But, still, fun to make fun of.

Medium Dave on
  • Koba the DreadKoba the Dread Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So is Gears 2 MP really as broken as the boards make it out to be? I've been unable to put Gears into my DVD tray with the intention to play MP because I expected to a) wait 10 minutes to b) have someone with an invisible shield headshot me. You can blame that on Tycho if you'd like, but there are other sources presenting evidence of this...distasteful eventuality. So.......?

Koba the Dread on
    edited December 2008

There's a super easy trick for killing reavers, no matter the difficulty.
    Run under them when they rear up to smash you, and then stay behind them at all times, shooting the exposed red underbelly.

Dom helped in hardcore? I never noticed. Well, he does draw fire. That's about all one can ask for.

I said wants to help. and I wasn't stating that his methods change in insane.

What I meant is, see how bad it is when Dom stays in one spot without moving, and do so when your on insane.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited December 2008
    Ok what the shit, the second half of the game is a huge, bugged mess. I'm currently stuck on shooting Reavers with a turret to protect the comms array, where half the time the Reavers just plain stop showing up and then KABOOM the comm array is gone before I even get a chance to try to stop them.

Edit: FFS, the turret bit went through because of dumb luck all the Reavers landed, and now I have to fight
    two Brumaks whose models are stuck inside each other.

jakonovski on
  • DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So is Gears 2 MP really as broken as the boards make it out to be? I've been unable to put Gears into my DVD tray with the intention to play MP because I expected to a) wait 10 minutes to b) have someone with an invisible shield headshot me. You can blame that on Tycho if you'd like, but there are other sources presenting evidence of this...distasteful eventuality. So.......?

Yes and no. I've had a few matches where everything went perfectly and it was great fun. However I've had equally as many matches where I waited 15 minutes to join a team, only to have half the people leave before the match even starts. People will also quit if their team starts doing badly because your insignia beside your name is affected by your world rank, or win/losses or some bullshit like that.

I haven't really seen many people exploiting glitches yet. One time on river one of our team mates fell behind a fence and got stuck, but personally that's all I have seen so far. The thing that kills it for me is really the terrible lag. I never feel like I've been killed fairly. So many times I'll see a guy looking the other way and run up to shotgun him, only to have him instantly be in the middle of chainsawing me before I can even get close. It kills the fun completely, and I haven't played gears at all lately because of it.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    jakonovski wrote: »
    Ok what the shit, the second half of the game is a huge, bugged mess. I'm currently stuck on shooting Reavers with a turret to protect the comms array, where half the time the Reavers just plain stop showing up and then KABOOM the comm array is gone before I even get a chance to try to stop them.

Edit: FFS, the turret bit went through because of dumb luck all the Reavers landed, and now I have to fight
    two Brumaks whose models are stuck inside each other.
    Weird, after about six times doing that part I have not encountered anything like either of these. Reavers will fly by and shoot the dish too so watch for that, also you should only have to kill two or three reavers on the ground if you are shooting them out of the air.

Fizban140 on
    edited December 2008
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Weird, after about six times doing that part I have not encountered anything like either of these. Reavers will fly by and shoot the dish too so watch for that, also you should only have to kill two or three reavers on the ground if you are shooting them out of the air.

I don't know, I seem to have a jinxed version of GoW2. I've also had a Blood Mount freeze midair and Cole getting stuck on open ground so that his model flickers between two animations, sloooowly floating along the ground after a few minutes he finally gets loose, at which point he proceeds to go where he was supposed to go in the first place. Stuff like that and the not-as-good-as Gears 1 gameplay in the second half has soured me on the game a bit.

jakonovski on
    edited December 2008
    I actually haven't had any lag issues in game. Every game I've managed to get into has been silky smooth.

It's just getting into a game.

Inquisitor on
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

A lot of times you just have to outsmart the the AI. They have range limits, and line of sight issues, dumb clipping. PLAY DIRTY. The AI cheats, anyway.

The thing I dread doing is the aforementioned dish section on insane. the brumaks were dumb. are dumb. I doubt that will change unless the size of their explosions increases on insane as apposed to hardcore.

I'm going through the "Insane" difficulty on Force Unleashed first though, lol.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    edited December 2008
    Finally got the lag you guys were whining about. Got in a game with a bunch of Mexicans who got host.

We negative feedbacked and reported them and of course their host sent a message to our guy saying WHY DO PEOPLE WHO LOSE ALWAYS BLAME CONNECTION (in Spanish)

maybe it's because YOU'RE HOSTING FROM FUCKING MEXICO YOU DIPSHIT

edit: getting games was almost instant though.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Why the fuck would you report someone for a bad connection its not their fault its the game for picking them as host , the game chose them. Also do you know they were from Mexico or did you just assume it? Either way thats fucking moronic.

EspantaPajaro on
    edited December 2008
    I finished the book a couple of nights ago. I really enjoyed it I must say. It gave tons and tons of backstory for Dom and Marcus, though characters like Anya and Hoffman get a bit filled out too. (Characters like Baird, Cole and Tai also get some dues, but not as much as Dom and Marcus). Hoffman is fucking awesome in this book. :)

The new characters for the book are all pretty cool (Major Stroud (Anya's mother), Carlos Santiago (Dom's brother), and Bernadette Mataki (a sniper and survivalist expert from Marcus's old regiment), but the bulk of the story is Marcus and the Stantiago's growing up and early military careers, where we find out a lot about why Marcus is so 1-dimensional, how Dom came about being a husband and father of two, and why Marcus is so well known for the battle of Aspho Fields. (No spoilers, but lets just say that some of the stranger, uh, tactics that Marcus had in GoW2 show their first signs in this book.) Also, Dom is apparently the universes emotional dumping ground. :S

If you liked the GoW story (well, what story was there) and don't have an aversion to licensed novels, I'd recommend it.

Undead Scottsman on
  • MonkatrazMonkatraz Registered User new member
    edited December 2008
    I'm finally getting a 360 today or tomorrow (hooray for employee appreciation weekend) and will be getting this game, so if you see me online feel free to send me an invite (Gamertag will be Monkatraz), I'd love to get into a game with some of you guys (especially if the matchmaking is as bad as the rumblings indicate).

Monkatraz on
    One must be prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse... I, for example, have enough bag lunches to last all the way to next Wednesday, longer if I decide to keep the crusts on my sammiches.
    edited December 2008
    Why the fuck would you report someone for a bad connection its not their fault its the game for picking them as host , the game chose them. Also do you know they were from Mexico or did you just assume it? Either way thats fucking moronic.

they were obviously standbying or glitching somehow, the game was unplayably laggy.

They had Mexican flags, spanish gamertags, spanish in their profiles, and one of them had a profile that said "Mexico". I just assumed that was where they were from.

It was fairly obvious they were using the exploit to get host.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There is an exploit to get host? Tell me more.

EspantaPajaro on
    edited December 2008
    Hmm, I shall be replacing my 9 year old DSL modem in the next couple days.

Maybe this will help some of my problems. :P

Inquisitor on
    edited December 2008
    There is an exploit to get host? Tell me more.

not gonna link it here, but there are whole forums dedicated to it on the internet

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
This discussion has been closed.