As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Get some culture! 100 classic novels collection for DS

Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Games and Technology
I only just found out about this and figured it would be of interest to some.

novel1128004.jpg

Coming soon to Europe (surely a no-brainer to go to America before too long) 100 classic (and handily free from copyright) books available in their original versions all on a single DS cart. Includes works by William Shakespeare, Thomas Hardy, Jules Verne and Jane Austen.

Full book list here.

novel1128002.jpg

So what do you think? Great value in handy format or waste of time and a quick pathway to chronic eye strain?

MhCw7nZ.gif
Jam Warrior on

• Options
    wildhalcyonwildhalcyon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think the format has promise, but I'm not sure this particular collection attracts my eye. I already own a large collection of classics that probably include most on the list, sadly. Come out with something I don't have and we'll talk.

wildhalcyon on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hm. Neat.

Certainly worth the price. I can't believe no one thought of this before.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That is fantastic!

I will buy it for the Sherlock Holmes alone!

Oh man I am pumped by this idea. Screw the Kindle.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Intriguing. I'm wondering whether the amount of text that fits onto the DS' screen would be tolerable for long reading sessions.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Is it just me who thinks they'd be better off releasing a decent text reading interface that you could download your preferred books to? Like wildhalcyon said, those classics might not really catch anyone's eye, whilst on the other hand, there are thousands of public domain works available in text format from places like Project Gutenberg.

Then again, as far as digital reading on a DS is concerned, yeah I think that would be more than a bit tiring on the eyes after a while.

subedii on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Screw the Kindle.

I was wondering how stuff like this would affect the mobile reader market. Why spend $300 or whatever they're charging for those things when you could just use the handheld you probably already have?

If you have a modded PSP there are homebrew document reading programs already available, a huge library of public domain literature, and the ability to position the system vertically and read from a larger, much nicer screen.

So I think what I'm saying is it would be rad if something like that was released legit-style for the PSP. Sell it on PSN for $5 and let the user stash books in whatever format on their memory stick.

Einhander on
  • Options
    chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I also heard that the DS has a cook book now.

I have no idea who these people are marketing to.

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Einhander wrote: »
    Screw the Kindle.

I was wondering how stuff like this would affect the mobile reader market. Why spend $300 or whatever they're charging for those things when you could just use the handheld you probably already have?

If you have a modded PSP there are homebrew document reading programs already available, a huge library of public domain literature, and the ability to position the system vertically and read from a larger, much nicer screen.

So I think what I'm saying is it would be rad if something like that was released legit-style for the PSP. Sell it on PSN for $5 and let the user stash books in whatever format on their memory stick.

To be honest, I do already have homebrew that can do this and much more (a full text editor) and any DS browser could probably use Project Gutenburg. Still, I will pay for the convenience of it simply working, and having all this at my fingertips rather than needing to browse around.

Also makes a neat gift for those without alternative DS reading solutions.

The cookbook is actually pretty sweet because it is more than a book; it's a cooking pokedex. You can track your progress and it has nutrition information IIRC, adjusts ingredients based on number of people etc.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited December 2008

All those people who bought Brain Age.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Anyone and everyone. The DS install base is so huge that these non-game carts can do really well. Especially when produced to a high standard as I hear the cook book is. It has a magnet for sticking it to a handy surface in your kitchen, voice commands so you don't have to touch it with foody fingers. Good stuff.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    They need to bring out some of those cookbooks in the US.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

People who love awesome things. Because both these ideas are awesome.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

They already have!

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Behemoth wrote: »

They already have!

Oh shit!

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    With and homebrew cart and project guttenberg this is pretty easy to do yourself.

THough It is still a very good idea.

Lave II on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This is pretty cool but personally I've always struggled to read from a computer screen for prolonged periods of time. That and I like the feel and smell of an actual book.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If this allowed you to make annotations with the stylus, it'd be great for studying the books or rehearsing a play.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Behemoth wrote: »

They already have!

Oh shit!

Haven't you seen the commercial with Phoebe from Friends?

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, the only problem I can think of is whether the screens are big enough for lots of text, like the kindle.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This is an interesting idea but I dislike reading novels on a computer screen, so I can't see myself reading books on an even smaller screen.

Still, I'm sure there's a potential audience that won't mind this, so it would be neat if this sells fairly well.

Slicer on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Rami wrote: »
    This is pretty cool but personally I've always struggled to read from a computer screen for prolonged periods of time. That and I like the feel and smell of an actual book.

I'm sidetracking a little bit here, but I bought an eeePC, and one of the coolest things about it is if you're running XP you can use Ctrl+Alt+Arrow to change the screen's orientation. The eee is small enough that you can switch the screen and then hold the system vertically, pseudo-simulating the act of holding an actual book.

This is awesome for reading digital books, but comes in handy even for reading long articles on webpages:
    74551231op7.jpg

It's interesting that the DS is getting all of this non-gaming "lifestyle software" that you would normally only see on PDAs and the Mylo and things like that. Hopefully this is something that Nintendo will support when they are designing the sequel system to the DS. Stuff like the DSi's camera seems like they might be moving in that direction, which is cool.

Einhander on
  • Options
    atat23atat23 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've been reading books on my DS for a while now and it's really good. Good for one handed reading where I can press a button with my holding hand to turn the page. I can also just set the DS somewhere and read while I'm doing something else with both hands, stopping only to press a button every once and a while. What would be awesome if you could set it up so pages turn using voice commands.

I don't read many classics though, just finished reading The Count of Monte Cristo on the DS though and for such a long book I hardly notice a difference on my eyes between the DS and a normal book, you can even increase the text size if need be. All round it's just way more conveinient for me to use the DS.

For the people who don't like reading using screens, I think it's just a case of not being use to it. Buy this game and that will soon change ;)

atat23 on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'll throw in my hat with the "This is a cool idea, but I wouldn't want to read a book on the ds" camp.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Stigma wrote: »
    Intriguing. I'm wondering whether the amount of text that fits onto the DS' screen would be tolerable for long reading sessions.

If that image is a representative screenshot, it really doesn't look acceptable to me. Flipping the page every three seconds doesn't seem conducive to the reading process, and there's at least one word being hyphenated at the wrong point to fit into the margins.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Someone tell me what is wrong with paper books? There is never a situation you will ever be in where not carrying 100 novels around is a convenience. I barely ever carry around more than 1.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I do think this is a great idea, based on value and convenience alone. 100 books for £15 is a steal, and it is a really good collection at that.

I don't know how I feel about using the DS to read, but I can't see it being a major hassle. Battery life is probably the only thing I can imagine being a problem. Still, good initiative. I'll try it out for that price :^:

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'll be buying this, even importing it if I have to. Many of these books I studied in a classic literature class I took years ago, and I absolutely love some of these stories/authors...especially anything involving the classic Sherlock Holmes stories.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah...this sounds interesting to me, but again, the screen is the sticking point. I'll have to see how it feels to read on the ds screen. That's supposed to be the big selling point of the kindle, is its screen doesn't strain your eyes like most electronic screens.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    What versions of the classics are these though? Who translated these like the Dumas? Are they abridged? I like the idea in concept, but is this information readily available before I buy?

Cobell on
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    novel1128002.jpg

This looks painful. The price is right, but everything about that screen is not.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'll be keeping an eye on it, I love many of these stories, and for that cheap price, it would make for a fantastic travelling companion.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well, it's certainly nice to have so many stories available in one place for so cheap, but I'll stick with the books.

I'd go crazy trying to read from that screen.

Graviija on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ebooks are a good idea, but the DS is just not a suitable device for such things.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dammit, when I read the title I thought it was going to be an actual game. :( I was envisioning a Hamlet fighting game. Hamlet vs. Laertes Duel 1. Heaven or Hell, LET'S ROCK!

Or maybe a Frankenstein survival horror, or a Great Expectations kart racer. So much wasted potential.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Ebooks are a good idea, but the DS is just not a suitable device for such things.
    Well I would say you need to try it. We read an awful lot on the DS already in every RPG, that is essentially a graphic novel.

I can attest to it being great for this:

lonewolf1ux8.jpg

lonewolf2mr1.jpg

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Now this is tempting. Very tempting. Now if only they could get some Eastern Lit on there as well.

Tale of Genji and Journey to the West would be great to carry in my pocket.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There's an important reason as to why eink is a major area of research, if people were happy to squint at a backlight screen displaying a dozen lines of text then nobody would need to work on this. Yes, I am just voicing my own opinion, but I would never try to read a novel on a handheld screen, it would be torture.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Now that is awesome - the ultimate evolution of Choose Your Own Adventure. Tell me more. For a collection of those, I'd buy a new DS.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sweet jesus tits. How did I not know about that?? Oh god, I loved the shit out of the Lone Wolf books. Thank you Sporky, you just made my day.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm sad that "Of Mice and Men" failed to make the list. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!