As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Rod Blagojevich: in ur senate, sellin ur seats

widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
Unless you've been living under a rock, it's big news that the governor of Illinois was trying to essentially auction off Obama's vacated senate seat.

Fortunatly, there's no debate that this guy is a corrupt, arrogant asshole who's resignation is being called for by both Democrats and Republicans. What is news is how over the top and bold he was about his corruption.

From around the web:

As Blagojevich put it himself, the Senate seat was “a f***ing valuable thing, you just don’t give it away for nothing.”

As late as November 11, Blagojevich felt that Obama’s people were “not willing to give me anything except appreciation. F*** them.”

For example, Blagojevich was angered by a Chicago Tribune editorial in late September that called for his impeachment. At the urging of his wife, Blagojevich instructed his chief of staff, John Harris (who was also indicted) to solve the problem by threatening the owner of the Tribune Company with the loss of a public financing option in connection with the sale of Wrigley Field (the Tribune owns and is trying to sell the Chicago Cubs). The Tribune Company’s owner, Blagojevich said, could make things right by firing the members of the editorial board who had criticized him.

Blagojevich is also accused in the indictment of threatening to rescind an $8 million state grant for Children’s Memorial Hospital in Chicago because one of the institution’s executives would not give a political contribution.

He tried to shake down...a...children's...hospital.. o_O

What I want to know, is how does someone get to this point? I.E. to be such an arrogant asshole who think's he's so "juiced-in" and untouchable that he can do whatever the fuck he wants, even things that are blantantly corrupt and so obvious that anyone with 2 brains cells would know that they'd get caught?

What, Obama's replacement wouldn't be news? This guy had to have known the feds were looking at him for years now, and he jumps off of the deep end and talks about this stuff over the phone? Even the lowest levels of the Mob arn't that stupid and arrogant.

Again, how did this guy get so stupid and arrogant?

-I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
widowson on

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm SO glad this shit continues to hang around because I LOVE hearing about Obama being a sleazebag who will be taken down by Blagovich or Rezko.

LOVE IT.

D:

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Ninja BotNinja Bot Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Kagera wrote: »
    I'm SO glad this shit continues to hang around because I LOVE hearing about Obama being a sleazebag who will be taken down by Blagovich or Rezko.

LOVE IT.

D:

Yes because Obama in definitely linked to this and he is definitely a sleazebag because he was a politician in the same state as Bagojevich. Never mind that Blago said fuck Obama's people and called Obama a motherfucker.

Ninja Bot on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Chicago is not the most corrupt American city, it's the most theatrically corrupt.

moniker on
    edited December 2008
    Ninja Bot wrote: »

LOVE IT.

D:

Yes because Obama in definitely linked to this and he is definitely a sleazebag because he was a politician in the same state as Bagojevich. Never mind that Blago said fuck Obama's people and called Obama a motherfucker.

I wouldn't have voted for Obama if I thought he was corrupt. What I'm saying is that shit like this twisted the right way will hinder his ability to be effective in office.

Also I was being sarcastic.

Kagera on
    edited December 2008
    But really everyone already knew this guy was a total asshole and a really shitty governor. Federal prosecutors were already building a case well before this popped up. This just takes it to a new level though. Even George Ryan wasn't this bad.

Ninja Bot on
    edited December 2008

LOVE IT.

D:

I wouldn't have voted for Obama if I thought he was corrupt. What I'm saying is that shit like this twisted the right way will hinder his ability to be effective in office.

Ah my bad

Ninja Bot on
    edited December 2008
    But really everyone already knew this guy was a total asshole and a really shitty governor. Federal prosecutors were already building a case well before this popped up. This just takes it to a new level though. Even George Ryan wasn't this bad.

And his malfeasance resulted in the death of a family.

I still don't get how he won the second term. Topinka wasn't great, but she was a hell of a lot better.

moniker on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The way he still doesn't seem to think he'll be convicted or brought down by this is what really gets me. I mean he goes to work today like nothing happened and doesn't seem to think anything he did was wrong.

At least a guy like Spitzer who looked like a huge hypocrite acted contrite and apologized after he was caught.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

LOVE IT.

D:

Ah my bad

The frowny face gives it away. :P

I hope it's the beginning of something big. I hope that federal prosecutors go to fucking town on corrupt officials and put them in federal PMITA prison, not some white-collar country club under lockdown.

Shadowen on
    edited December 2008
    They have. This isn't the first of a federal probe, just the latest. I think 11 people this year? There's been a couple hundred in total over the last decade or so. Politicians, staff, appointees, bureaucrats, contractors, fundraisers, &c.

moniker on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    At this point, I think we need to start pre-indicting Illinois Governors on their way into office. 5 of the last 9 (if you include Blagodouche) have served time for corruption. It's crazy.

This cycle made Alaska look like a political madhouse, apparently Illinois wanted back in the spotlight.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    This guy is total slime and something is very wrong in Illinois that they keep electing people like him. Moving on...

He is also weasel and I'm sure he has a history of corruption that started years ago that implicates many. I bet he'll rat out others to save his skin, may hit some of Obama's supporters and campaign members but not Obama himself. This will roll up and down hill very quickly.

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It would be great if Jesse Jackson Jr. got taken down in all this.

Boo dynasties.

Speaker on
    edited December 2008
    Speaker wrote: »

Boo dynasties.

Meh, he doesn't seem like that bad of a congressman on his own merits. Same with Biden's kid, given that he's Delaware's AG. If this were a Caroline Kennedy I'd definitely agree with you, though. Being a name shouldn't be a blessing, but neither should it be a curse.

moniker on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm hearin conflicting reports that Jackson may not be implicated yet

nexuscrawler on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Isn't this the second time Pat Fitzgerald had the governor of Illinois arrested?

Daedalus on
    edited December 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Isn't this the second time Pat Fitzgerald had the governor of Illinois arrested?

Yes, but they were different governors.

moniker on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Man you guys make Jersey look clean

nexuscrawler on
  • SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

He's in CYA mode, so it's a bit of an open question how much he will be caught up in it, though chances aren't too bad that he will take at least a political hit for it.

Savant on
    edited December 2008

He isn't.

moniker on
    edited December 2008
    Man you guys make Jersey look clean

That's just because Jersey doesn't have a flare for these things.

moniker on
    edited December 2008
    moniker wrote: »

Boo dynasties.

Meh, he doesn't seem like that bad of a congressman on his own merits. Same with Biden's kid, given that he's Delaware's AG. If this were a Caroline Kennedy I'd definitely agree with you, though. Being a name shouldn't be a blessing, but neither should it be a curse.

Given the fact that it is a blessing, I prefer to curse it.

Ross Douhat, commenting on Caroline Kennedy:
    This is, of course, a pretty good distillation of the case against dynastic politics: Namely, that it transforms the business of republican self-government into a soap opera, in which the public/audience thrills to the "intriguing subplots" involving a President's daughter, a President's wife, and a Governor's son who happens to be the President's daughter's sister's ex-husband ... and sighs, enraptured, at the "fairy tale ending" when the President's daughter grows up to have a Senate seat handed to her as a reward for having endorsed the President-elect. This sort of politics is entertaining to write about, which is one reason why fantasy sagas and Shakespeare are generally more interesting than Washington novels. But after twenty years with the same two families in the White House - which nearly became twenty-four (or twenty-eight) - for a political columnist to endorse a pointless escalation of dynastic politics because it fulfills the fairy-tale mythos her generation spun around a mediocre, tragically-murdered President and his good-looking family isn't "girly"; it's an embarrassment.

Speaker on
  • widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

LOVE IT.

D:

Um.....the indictment specifically says Obama didn't do anything wrong. In fact, my OP has this jackass complaining that they were “not willing to give me anything except appreciation. F*** them.”

So how is this a slam of Obama? For me, it's a slam of this Blagovich asshole and his unique combination of arrogance and stupidity.

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
    edited December 2008

Most badass prosecutor ever.

fitzgerald.jpg

Speaker on
  • ThorionThorion __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    What would you expect from an Illinois politician? Emancipation of slavery?

Thorion on
    Wanted for failure to pay
  • SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    widowson wrote: »

LOVE IT.

D:

Um.....the indictment specifically says Obama didn't do anything wrong. In fact, my OP has this jackass complaining that they were “not willing to give me anything except appreciation. F*** them.”

So how is this a slam of Obama? For me, it's a slam of this Blagovich asshole and his unique combination of arrogance and stupidity.

Have you been elsewhere on the internet? Even the seemingly low levels of critical thinking and reading comprehension required to realize this are absent in a nontrivial proportion of the population.

Savant on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

fitzgerald.jpg

ibelieveinpatrickfitzgerald.jpeg

Daedalus on
    edited December 2008

fitzgerald.jpg

It'll be interesting to see what Obama does with him. Part of me wants him to be the special prosecutor for whatever 'forgiveness committee' might be invented to look into the Bush administration, but a larger part of me wants him to stay where he is, giving Chicago and Springfield all kinds of hell.

moniker on
  • PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Every time I've seen this guy I've been laughing.
    Laughing so hard.
    And Moniker, he won a second term because of people like my mom, who wont vote for an Illinois Republican under any circumstances. Unless Ditka decides to run for governer this is the way things will be.

Picardathon on
    edited December 2008
    I love how now it's "coming out" that the guy was complete batshit. I've heard at least 5 snap diagnoses from cable talking heads in the last hour. Everything from bipolar disorder to schizophrenia.

I can't tell if they're trying to sensationalize or making excuses for the guy.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Laughing so hard.
    And Moniker, he won a second term because of people like my mom, who wont vote for an Illinois Republican under any circumstances. Unless Ditka decides to run for governer this is the way things will be.

What's wrong with the Illinois Democratic party that guys like this get through the primaries, if I may ask?

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
    edited December 2008
    Drakeon wrote: »
    Laughing so hard.

What's wrong with the Illinois Democratic party that guys like this get through the primaries, if I may ask?
    To be fair, their last governor was a Republican and he was corrupt as well.

In fact, 5 of the last 9 Illinois Governors have done jail time after their terms for this kind of stuff. I don't think it's an inherent issue with either of the political parties, so much as a problem with the Illinois electorate in general.

Edit: And one of the guys who stayed clean gave L Ron Hubbard his own state holiday.

WTF Illinois? Where do you find these guys?

OptimusZed on

• wishdawishda Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    OptimusZed wrote: »

In fact, 5 of the last 9 Illinois Governors have done jail time after their terms for this kind of stuff. I don't think it's an inherent issue with either of the political parties, so much as a problem with the Illinois electorate in general.

You can't really blame voters when you have machine politics. The machine is rotten and serves up two rotten candidates. Voters don't get much choice, whether everybody in Illinois or six people show up to vote.

There was a New Yorker article awhile back that outlined how Obama had to court and make peace with the machine to get his seat. Part of me suspects that he's remained squeaky clean and championed transparent government out of sheer disgust of that experience.

wishda on
  • AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Laughing so hard.

Edit: And one of the guys who stayed clean gave L Ron Hubbard his own state holiday.

We import them from Alaska.

Astraphobia on
  • wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

It isn't just our governors, either. You can't get into Illinois politics if you aren't either batshit crazy or a scumbag. :(

wasted pixels on
    edited December 2008

It isn't just our governors, either. You can't get into Illinois politics if you aren't either batshit crazy or a scumbag. :(

Hey, hey, hey. Alan Keyes is not one of our guys. The IL GOP brought him in because nobody else wanted to get a public whipping. And Jack Ryan? Come on, who wouldn't want to get kinky with

250px-Seven_of_nine.jpg

moniker on
  • wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Hey, hey, hey. Alan Keyes is not one of our guys. The IL GOP brought him in because nobody else wanted to get a public whipping.

So you're saying that the vocally psychotic Alan Keyes isn't a good example of how horrible Illinois politics are because he's just the willing carpet-bagger the Illinois GOP brought in after their first candidate turned out to be a sicko?

Like... that's better? :(

wasted pixels on
    edited December 2008

Hey, hey, hey. Alan Keyes is not one of our guys. The IL GOP brought him in because nobody else wanted to get a public whipping.

So you're saying that the vocally psychotic Alan Keyes isn't a good example of how horrible Illinois politics are because he's just the willing carpet-bagger the Illinois GOP brought in after their first candidate turned out to be a sicko?

Like... that's better? :(

Yes.

moniker on
  • PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Laughing so hard.

He may be clean for now, but he got that position working through the machine. Fitzgerald is most likely working on his case right now.

Picardathon on
    edited December 2008

fitzgerald.jpg

Man the last time I rooted for a prosecutor was Eliot Spitzer and look how THAT turned out. :(

Kagera on