As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TMNT Smash Up: A ha ha ha (A ha ha ha) Hey heyo (hey heyo)

agoajagoaj Top TierOne FearRegistered User regular
edited January 2010 in Games and Technology
New Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Fighting game Ubisoft and Game Arts(Made Super Smash Brothers Brawl). Releases 9/22/2009 on Wii and PS2
Awesome Commercial
The music?
*ROSTER*
17098normal.jpg
More detail as it becomes available.

*VIDS*
Don Vs. Foot Online
Raph Vs. Utrom Online
Mikey Arcade Mode
4-Player: Leo v RR v NW v Fugitoid

Old OP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYSs1OyatUw

2nup2xg.jpg
thumb_IMG00081_20081210_1855.jpg
http://gonintendo.com/?p=65881

Pictures from Nintendo Power, go pick it up!
http://infinitehollywood.blogspot.com/2008/12/more-tmnt-game-news-exclusive.html
It's invaded several other threads so I figured people are interested in it enough for it's own thread.

While waiting for the snow truck that never came, I decided to pick up the latest edition of Nintendo Power, so here is the article on the new TMNT Wii game (excuse any typos):

SHELL-SHOCKER!

To kick off our big 2009 preview special, we've got an exclusive sneak peek at a game that's so early it hasn't even been named yet! For now we'll just call it TMNT. A new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle game is always worth at least a raised eyebrow (despite the mixed results of the foursome's last several titles), but when it's a four-player fighting game made by some of the folks who worked on Super Smash Bros. Brawl and former members of Tecmo's famed Team Ninja (who worked on the Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive series), then were looking at one of the most exciting stories of the new year.

Seeing is believing

We wouldn't have believed it if we hadn't seen it, but there we were in late November at Ubisofts San Francisco offices, watching turtle-versus-turtle combat. Ubisoft- who will publish the game- had been looking for an opportunity to work with Games Arts, part of the all-star team that developed Brawl under the direction of Super Smash Bros. creator Masahiro Sakurai. The studio became available just as it was time for Ubi to start a new Turtles project to be release in 2009 - the 25th anniversary of TMNT. And then former members of Team Ninja joined the production to officially make this the craziest story we ever heard.

The version of the game that we got to see is very early - it's been in development for just over a year - but it already looks impressive (Ubisoft is aiming for a September '09 release). In fact, the visuals may even surpass the bar set by Brawl; for example, a rooftopd level features a city skyline that is much more detailed then most brawl stages. And we were instantly relieved to see that this isn't meant to be ajust a kids' game. The visuals are dark and edgy for a TMNT title, and we were guaranteed that our ears wouldn't have to suffer through endless loops of Turtles quips like "slice and dice!" during the action. Further, the team wisely avoided tying the game in with any particular iteration of TMNT- it doesn't look exactly like any of the comics, cartoons, or toys.

(It does look exactly like the 2007 movie -DT)

Getting into the Action

As you can probably gather from these screens, the game is quite similar to Brawl in look and feel. There are some differences in the gameplay that we'll get into in qa moment - and some other features that will set TMNT apart that Ubisoft isn't ready to reveal yet - but the action should feel instantly familiar to anyone who's put time into a Super Smash Bros.-style fighting game.

Up to four players can fight at once, and since competing turtles can be tough to distinguish between when the camera is far away, each character is color-coded with a glowing effect. The fighting is what you'd expect: regular moves, special moves, throws and combos. There are also attacks that use the evironment, such as flying kicks off of walls, or attacks while hanging from ledges. In true ninja style, you can run short distances up walls, and some stages have poles that you can grab and swing on for higher jumps and more-punishing jump-kicks.

There will be multiple control schemes to choose from; we can confirm both Wii-remote and -nunchuck and remote only options. No word yet on whether a Gamecube controller will work, but a new control scheme is said to be in development for advanced players. otion controls will be used, but not extensively- don't expect to be swinging your remote constantly for common attacks. We can also report that taunts are in the game (we saw Leonardo mock his opponents by spinning his swords in the air) and that items will play a role in the fighting (although the only one we were able to catch a glimps of was a health restoring pizza).

Players each have a life meter that depletes when they take damage, and it's possible to be KO'ed instantly by falling off the screen (plus match rules can be customized). the game will have agenerous roster of characters pulled from the turtles' long history (we've been told Mirage Studios, which owns the TMNT brand, has been involved with the character-selection process), but so far we've been able to peek at only the turtles themselves and Splinter, their rat sensei.

Among the game's various modes and matche types (most of which are still a closely guarded secret) is a story mode. All we could get out of Ubi is that it won't be a side-scoller like Brawl's Subspace Emmisarry, and that Peter Laird- cocreator of TMNT- worked on the story. Fou-player online battles are also planned, and the developers are working hard to deliver a smooth experience free of the issues that hindered brawl. They also want to add something unique to the mix, so expect a new twist or two.

Beautiful Battlegrounds.

Finally, we were really impressed by the games stages. We got to check out two of them, and they both looked as though they could hang with the best Brawl had to offer, thanks to lots of environmental interaction and plenty of visual detail. The first stage we saw was a gorgeous rooftop battle against a detailed city skyline, featuring a water tower that could be busted open to send water gushing out at opponents, an electric sign that zapped whoever got knocked into it, lots of long falls between the buildings, and poles to swing on for sky-high acrobatics. The next battle took place in the sewers and started in a small, confined area with water flowing along the ground. But when someone beat on a giant hatch on the left side of the room, it broke open and unleashed a tidal wave that pushed everyone into the stage's second area, a vertical chamber with slippery platforms and a crocodile that popped out at random to chomp on unsuspecting victims.

We haven't been this excited about the turtles in years. If the developers can deliver on the promise of what we've seen so far, fighting fans will have something pretty special to look forward to in the back half of '09. Ubisoft tells us the development team is determined to set a new standard for the genre, and that the fighting may end up being even deeper then Brawl's. If they can pull that off, the whoa- cowabunga, dude.

-published by Ubisoft
Boo!
With Ex-Team Ninja staff that worked on brawl
Yeah!
-official development started Jan. 2008
-concept started Oct. 2007
-to be released in Sept. 2009
-2.5D Fighter
-Interactive Stages
-4 player versus
-Story Mode
-Battle Royal
-Tournament
So could it be this: teenagemutantninjaturtlrq9.gif meets this: various04_070913e.jpg?
-Winner Stays
-Loser Stays
NOBODY LEAVES!
-Practice
Makes perfect!
-Unlockable Characters
-Unlockable Stages
Hope we can have This dude: 01ig6.jpg Vs. This guy: slashsr6.jpg
-Online aspects said to be better than Brawl implementation
They want us to know their heads are not in the clouds!
-Each character is color coded with glowing effect to make 4-player battles easy to follow
Fast and frantic!
“While this is a licensed game, it’s not tied to any movie or TV show…for this game to succeed on its own it needs to be a great game.” - Ubisoft producer
Here's to B&W comic vs 1987 cartoon vs 2003 cartoon turtles!

What could go wrong?8-)
:xtmntmutantmelee440106na9.jpg

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
agoaj on

• METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    wait, why is Ubisoft a boo?

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Probably because it isn't Konami, who has traditionally done most of the TMNT games. Ubisoft I'm pretty sure did the terrible games based off the new movie, the exception being the GBA game which was really good.

This could be interesting though. I love TMNT and if they make Super Shredder a boss of SNK boss standards, like he deserves to be, I will be one happy person. However Team Ninja better not even think about giving Karai and April double D's. I will wish them into the cornfield so hard if they do.

Gilder on
  • MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Double Ds, eh?

*Thinks hard*

I'm sure it will be fine either way. Now we just need some Feldman voice-over action.

Monsty on
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It'd be so great if one of the aspects they rip from Brawl is the history-spanning fan service. Give me versions of all the characters using art from every past iteration, and I will buy in for nostalgia alone. Characters from all the early versions, too. Krang, Wingnut and Screwloose, Man Ray, Toka and Razar (sp) and shit I don't know of from the newer cartoon.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The turtles will all be clones/reskins olol. I'm imagining the sequel now...

A CHALLENGER APPROACHES
    darkwingduckwq0.jpg

But seriously, if they don't bring in some of the characters from the comics, they're totally dropping the ball. TMNT had some sick comic storylines and characters back in the day. Villains performing human sacrifices to summon demons that fed off of nuclear reactors? Space aliens travelling through time to harvest brains for sale to creatures who can't dream? Raphael's fox girlfriend getting shot by a hunter? Wait, fuck, Raphael was a furry fucker. I'm tainting my memories, gotta stop.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm really looking forward to this game. Normally I wouldn't be very exited due to the fact that most TMNT projects end up not that great...but the pedigree of people working on it gives me hope.

I mean select members of Team Ninja and those who worked on Brawl!?! Sign me up mister! :D

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ubisoft made awesome TMNT games and horrible TMNT games.
    As a general rule, anything Ubisoft makes is either incredible or just shitty.

Let's hope this game is in the incredible section. Though I wouldn't hold high hopes, since it's for the Wii.
    Ubisoft + Wii = Disaster.

Djiem on
    edited December 2008
    Djiem wrote: »
    Ubisoft made awesome TMNT games and horrible TMNT games.
    As a general rule, anything Ubisoft makes is either incredible or just shitty.

Let's hope this game is in the incredible section. Though I wouldn't hold high hopes, since it's for the Wii.
    Ubisoft + Wii = Disaster.

At the very least, they are only publishing...not developing. Think about the fact that they were also the publisher to No More Heroes and they will be for NMH2. The babyz/monkeyz/crapyz stuff they develop and is garbage.

What gives me hope is the developing team has a fantastic record of quality.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    What do they mean by "members of Team Ninja". Is this Itagaki's next project?

Goddamn it, Tecmo. :x

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
    edited December 2008
    templewulf wrote: »
    What do they mean by "members of Team Ninja". Is this Itagaki's next project?

Goddamn it, Tecmo. :x

I'm sure if he was involved we would have heard already.

All that has been said was "Select members of both team Ninja and Team Brawl."

For all we know though, maybe Itagaki hand selected a team for this project....I doubt it though. Whoever is developing it probaby figured Brawl team have the experience with large scale fighting/party projects, and team Ninja has the experience with....Ninjas? :P

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm buying the SHIT out of this game when it comes out.

urahonky on
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Am I the only person who thought TMNT for the PS2 was actually decent? Sure, it was too short, far too easy, and the combat was a little wonky, but the platforming was solid.

Dirty on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yep, they have my interest.

LewieP on
    edited December 2008
    The good thing about a TMNT game is that if it's at least "good" or "great", the fact it's TMNT automatically raises it to "excellent" status.

Djiem on
    edited December 2008
    The good thing about a TMNT game is that if it's at least "good" or "great", the fact it's TMNT automatically raises it to "excellent" status.

At least it does for us. These kids nowadays don't know how bad they have it. TMNT for life, yo.

urahonky on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Bishop and Kirai are all
    ...Leatherhead too.
    ...and Slash.
    ...Casey

Ok maybe I want a lot from this game.

Bloods End on
    edited December 2008
    Exactly. :^:

I can't wait, I do like that it's not based on one specific property though, gives it more freedom.

All I care about is that character wise, we get to play:

Leonardo
    Raph
    Donatello
    Michaelangelo
    April
    Splinter
    Casey Jones
    Shredder

These are givens, but I hope some of the other mainstays are in such as Baxter, Beebop, Rocksteady, and Krang.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Gilder wrote: »
    Probably because it isn't Konami, who has traditionally done most of the TMNT games.

But all the Konami-made TMNT games post-1994 sucked hard as well.

Edit: Also, what the fuck is wrong with you people? You want Bebop & Rocksteady in this? You won't ever see anything from the 80s/90s series ever again, thank god.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited December 2008
    Probably because it isn't Konami, who has traditionally done most of the TMNT games.

Edit: Also, what the fuck is wrong with you people? You want Bebop & Rocksteady in this? You won't ever see anything from the 80s/90s series ever again, thank god.

Who are you?
    Get out of there!

Djiem on
    edited December 2008
    Why won't we get Bebop and Rocksteady? (Besides them being assholes in TMNT 2, the arcade game)

urahonky on
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

We don't like yer kind 'round these parts.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
    edited December 2008
    Beebop and Rocksteady for life! :x

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited December 2008
    That dude that was the Fly!

LewieP on
    edited December 2008
    That was Baxter.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited December 2008

Who are you?
    Get out of there!

Don't get me wrong. I was born in 1984, I grew up on that shit. But have you gone back and tried to watch it now? Jesus Christ it's just painful.

Now the 2k3 series, outside of that Fast Forward nonsense, has been decent. Nothing on the level of BtAS, but competent considering it's coming out of 4Kids.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited December 2008
    Nothing beats BtAS. :|

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited December 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Why won't we get Bebop and Rocksteady? (Besides them being assholes in TMNT 2, the arcade game)

Because while this isn't tied to a specific movie or TV show, you'll likely see the character designs being based off of the 2007 feature film. It's what all the toys' boxes have mimicked since it came out, even though some are characters from the TV series.

You might see designs from the 2k3 series, and you might see designs from the comic series, and that's basically the order of likeliness that you'd see them in. But the 1980/90s series? No, you won't ever see anything from those again.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited December 2008
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Nothing beats BtAS. :|

Exactly. It's more akin to the Spider-Man 90s series. A solid show that can be taken seriously to an extent, but it's a fun romp that doesn't pander to its audience.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited December 2008

Because while this isn't tied to a specific movie or TV show, you'll likely see the character designs being based off of the 2007 feature film. It's what all the toys' boxes have mimicked since it came out, even though some are characters from the TV series.

You might see designs from the 2k3 series, and you might see designs from the comic series, and that's basically the order of likeliness that you'd see them in. But the 1980/90s series? No, you won't ever see anything from those again.

Why do you hate me so?

urahonky on
    edited December 2008
    I'm sure that they'll make your standard foot soldier playable also.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited December 2008
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    That was Baxter.

Yeah!

Him!

LewieP on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm going to go ahead now and predict this game will be "meh" at best.

The Turtles license is cursed. There hasn't been a good turtles game for over a decade now.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Please let this game have SSBB-style taunts.

"Tonight I dine on turtle soup!"

UnbreakableVow on
    edited December 2008

The Turtles license is cursed. There hasn't been a good turtles game for over a decade now.

TMNT GBA wants to punch you in the face.

LewieP on
    edited December 2008

The 2007 game had potential but unfortunately it was wrapped in a big layer of mediocrity and the blahs.

The foundation was there they just didn't build in it well enough.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited December 2008
    Like I said earlier...the pedigree of the team working ont he game gives me hope.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

The 2007 game had potential but unfortunately it was wrapped in a big layer of mediocrity and the blahs.

The foundation was there they just didn't build in it well enough.

That's the one based on the movie? I think it was made in 7 months or something close to that.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    LewieP wrote: »

TMNT GBA wants to punch you in the face.

It emulated the old arcade games well enough, until the developers squeezed in their own shitty ideas (like no multiplayer).

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Surely it was "good" though.

LewieP on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

More specifically, it's because pretty much everything that originated in the first cartoon is officially property of the cartoon makers, not the actual TMNT creators (even if they had a hand in their creation for the 'toon). Things that appeared in the toon but were created beforehand, like the turtles themselves, April O'Neil, Casey Jones, Baxter, etc. still belong to the original creators.

TV spinoffs are odd like that. That's why, barring some weird licensing agreement, the Tick will never again fight crime with Speak, the Furry Moist Avenger. :(

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293