As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Infectiousness of Crime Is Like That Of The Plague (The Crime Comics Thread)

ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited September 2009 in Graphic Violence
Welcome to the offical Crime Comics Thread here in GV. This is the place to discuss your love of gritty stories, dirty art, and mean-ass people.

What's a good crime comic, you ask?

Why, probably the best one on the shelves right now is

httpwwwmarvelcommarveletp2.jpg

CRIMINAL is by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips.

Each story-arc is a self-contained tale of crime, but as you read further, you begin to see the connections and threads running through all the stories, sketching a picture of criminal life in a city across three generations.

The first arc is called COWARD- It is about a professional thief who always has a way out and the armored car heist he gets dragged into by crooked cops and an untrustworthy old partner.

The second arc is called LAWLESS- Someone killed Tracy Lawless' brother while Tracy was in prison, and it's time to find out who.

The third arc is called THE DEAD AND THE DYING- Three stories from the '70s each featuring a different main character which come together to tell the story of a smash-and-grab gone bad and all the people who have to die because of it.

The fourth arc just ended in monthlies and is called BAD NIGHT. It will be collected shortly. It tells the story of Jacob, an ex-counterfeiter with insomnia, a bum set of legs, and a hardon for that dame that can only lead to trouble.

Now, Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips seem to have some chops, yes? Well then you'll be pleased to hear about

incognito001cvrtf7.jpg

INCOGNITO, from the men who brought you CRIMINAL.

The story of a supervillain who used to run the fuckin' world, man, do whatever the fuck he wanted whenever the fuck he wanted it. Now, though, he's trapped in a button-down life and a button-down job. That's what Witness Protection gets you. But he's getting mighty fuckin' sick of this shit...

Incognito is not yet out (coming shortly, possibly as soon as Dec. 24th), but you can check out a nice preview here.

Well that's all fine and good, I hear you say, but what if I read everything from Mssrs Brubaker and Phillips? What then? Is that all there is? Is that all I get?

No, of course not! If Criminal is (in my opinion) the best crime comic around right now, the second place finisher by a margin so small mathematicians are only just now theorizing its existence is

scalped1lg3.jpg

SCALPED is by the great Jason Aaron.

Dashiell Bad Horse hates the reservation he grew up on. Hates it so bad it makes him wanna puke just to be there. But be there he has to be, because Special Agent Dash Bad Horse has a job to do. One son-of-a-bitch FBI lawman wants another son-of-a-bitch crooked tribal chief's ass, and Dash is the only man for the job. Between seeing his mom again for the first time in years, reigniting an old flame, and, oh yes, being undercover as a crooked cop for Red Crow's (aforementioned crooked tribal chief) private army of Dawg Soldiers, Dash will be lucky if he just ends up dead.

There are currently three trades, with a fourth coming soon. The series really is one that onlygets better as it goes along. It delves far deeper into the characters than the reader initially expects and its unique setting and feel make it stand head and shoulders above most other comics on the shelves.

What other sweet mysteries wait to be discovered in the world of crime comics?

How about

416eypsgj6lss500ju0.jpg

100 BULLETS is by Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso.

What if a man approached you and pointed out all the things that had gone wrong in your life. You don't know this man. You don't know how he knows you. But what he tells you is that your problems are the fault of someone else. He has incontrovertible proof of this in the briefcase he's carrying. Also in the briefcase is a gun and one hundred bullets. They are completely untracable. The briefcase is for you.

What would you do?

From there, 100 Bullets spins into a massively epic conspiracy tale, with the occasional issue of street-level human misery thrown in for flavor. It's only two months from completion right now, ending at issue number 100 (where else?).

The entire run is collected in 13 or 14 trades which I do not have the stamina to link to individually. The series is complex and intricate, but also a great deal of fun (if you're the kind of person who finds crime comics and conspiracy stories fun, anyway).

In the vein of comics about bullets

davidfr4.jpg

STRAY BULLETS is by David Lapham.

I must confess I have never read Stray Bullets myself, but it comes highly recommended from a friend whose taste I trust absolutely. Perhaps one of our GV friends could say more.

Well, that seems like it would do to get us started, though there are certainly more to discuss (like Torso, Sam & Twitch, the far superior Sam & Max, current Daredevil comics, the Punisher, Sandman Mystery Theater, Sin City, Whiteout, plus all the espionage comics with a strong line of crime flavoring like Sleeper, XIII, Human Target, or Desolation Jones)

My fingers are sick of typing now, so it's time for y'all to take over for a bit.

newsigs.jpg
Servo on

• wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think the Marvel Noir comics can probably go in here too. X-Men Noir certainly looks to be going the way of the crime comics listed so far.

I haven't read it yet, but Steven Grant's 2 Guns sounds like it fits in here. Even better, Boom Studios is putting out for free on their webcomics site: http://webcomics.boom-studios.net/2008/07/13/2-guns-page-1/

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Darwin Cooke is going to be adapting Richard Stark's Parker stories into comics, which sounds amazing. I don't know when it is happening or have any previews or anything though.

DouglasDanger on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Darwin Cooke is going to be adapting Richard Stark's Parker stories into comics, which sounds amazing. I don't know when it is happening or have any previews or anything though.

:o

you just made my day. i fucking love the parker novels and i love darwyn cooke even more.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited December 2008
    I know the Spirit isn't quite in the same vein as Criminal or 100 Bullets, but man I really liked Cooke's run on the book. I'm looking forward to his work on the Parker novels.

Also, I haven't read Powers, but would it qualify for this thread as well?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If the dark and gritty world of noir is included under the broad heading of crime, then I definitely think that Frank Miller's Sin City needs to be mentioned. I know a lot of people have a lot of different opinions of Miller. But Sin City definitely has the dark, gritty street level violence and brutality that have been discussed above.

My personal favorite out of the 7 collected stories is the final one, Hell and Back.
    506-1.jpg

In it, the protagonist Wallace (Longhair) is a complete and total badass who is trust on a wild and crazy journey as he tries to protect and rescue a woman from an unknown organization.

This is Wallace:
    300px-WallaceSinCity.JPG

He's an ex-marine who's adept in martial combat as well as with a variety of weapons. In Hell and Back, there is a section of the book in which Wallace is drugged up, and hallucinates some of the craziest stuff. The book is well worth reading just for the hallucination pages alone. Some of Miller's drawing are hilarious. The story of the entire book is good, but I find the hallucination section particularly rewarding. Cupids, Pixies, T-Rexs, giant robots, Captain America, and Wonder Woman's ass are all included in this section of the book, (among other things). Its a fun read.

Lucascraft on
    edited December 2008
    it's interesting that wallace is your favorite sin city character. he's a little to "perfect" for my tastes. i prefer the characters like marv, the fucked up semi-retard man mountain. i like it more when they're messed up, flawed in some way or another. ooh or hartigan, the broken-down old man.

i think the yellow bastard is my favorite, but the original story is probably still the best one.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    is Powers too superheroey for this thread

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    marv is easily the character you can feel most sympathetic towards

he's not a bad guy!

he's got a condition!

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    edited December 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    it's interesting that wallace is your favorite sin city character. he's a little to "perfect" for my tastes. i prefer the characters like marv, the fucked up semi-retard man mountain. i like it more when they're messed up, flawed in some way or another. ooh or hartigan, the broken-down old man.

i think the yellow bastard is my favorite, but the original story is probably still the best one.

I didn't see Wallace as being perfect. As I recall, he had problems with his land-lady and some other personal issues. Life wasn't all peachy for him. But I think the story was such that his own personal flaws weren't essential to tell his story.

On the other hand, a story about Marv is a story about Marv's problems. I think that Miller did a good job of telling a different story for different characters. Of all the major protagonists, we know the least about Wallace. But for his story, that information just wasn't essential. The character we learned about was Ester. (I think that was her name. Its been a while since I've read it.) In Hell and Back, it was her story that mattered, not Wallace.

Lucascraft on
    edited December 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    is Powers too superheroey for this thread

well, i kind of waffled on whether "detective" type comics belonged in this thread or if there was enough interest in it to have a different "cop comics" thread. we might as well just consolidate them all in here anyway.

honestly i can't think of all that many cop comics anyway (gotham central, kane, powers...uh...)

in other words, it was omitted for the badges not for the capes.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »

I didn't see Wallace as being perfect. As I recall, he had problems with his land-lady and some other personal issues. Life wasn't all peachy for him. But I think the story was such that his own personal flaws weren't essential to tell his story.

On the other hand, a story about Marv is a story about Marv's problems. I think that Miller did a good job of telling a different story for different characters. Of all the major protagonists, we know the least about Wallace. But for his story, that information just wasn't essential. The character we learned about was Ester. (I think that was her name. Its been a while since I've read it.) In Hell and Back, it was her story that mattered, not Wallace.

yeah, i get that. all i mean by "perfect" is like...here's the super-cool guy who's a badass and handles pretty much everything. there's nothing wrong with that certainly (<3 batman) but it just felt a little out of place to me in a sin city story is all. i can totally see where you would like it.

honestly dwight becomes almost the same way by the end of his arc in the comics.

edit- uh when i said "i can see where you would like it" i mean like the general "everybody" you, not like..."i can see where you would like it, assbreath"

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited December 2008
    If Powers is in then I guess Wanted is too.

wwtMask on
    edited December 2008
    Well Dwight has a condition too. He's got a monster living inside of him and on some subconscious level he enjoys the killing. Oh and Ava Lord is a bitch.

Lucascraft on
    edited December 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »
    If Powers is in then I guess Wanted is too.

wanted can stay the fuck out of my thread

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited December 2008
    wanted can stay the fuck out of my forum

DJ Eebs on
    edited December 2008
    How does it not get to be in the thread if Powers and Incognito are allowed?

wwtMask on
    edited December 2008
    it is the worst thing

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited December 2008
    mask are you trying to kill me?

DJ Eebs on
    edited December 2008
    Sorry, I didn't know that the comic had to be "good" in order to qualify for the thread.

Also, X-Factor and the Madrox mini totally belong here.

wwtMask on
    edited December 2008
    oh, no, it doesn't have to be good.

it just shouldn't be wanted

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I can't see how Wanted would really be a "Crime" comic anyway. It's much more about superheroes and villains than cops and robbers. The only real crime in Wanted is the one committed against the reader.
    I actually liked Wanted, but I wanted to say that

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    hey screw you guys, I liked Wanted. Sure it's kinda dumb, but there are FAR dumber comics coming out every month and I really can't get too upset about anything with JG Jones art. It's no Red Son, sure, but it's not THAT awful.

It really doesn't fit this thread at all though imo. It's super-villains more than crime related really. It's so capey and over the top; doesn't strike me as grim or gritty or noir at all. It's not a crime book really. It's all about super-powered eminem and an evil halle berry being dicks.

valiance on
  • nindustrialnindustrial Word Typer Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well, seems this thread got a bit meta, ha.

nindustrial on
    chstreamsig.jpg
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2008
    Does Sleeper qualify? Yeah, it's over and stuff and it's more of a spy thing but goddamn Brubaker + Phillips has only so far = awesomeness.

Bogart on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    yeah, i get that. all i mean by "perfect" is like...here's the super-cool guy who's a badass and handles pretty much everything. there's nothing wrong with that certainly (<3 batman) but it just felt a little out of place to me in a sin city story is all. i can totally see where you would like it.

Hell and Back was one of my two least favorite Sin City book, but I really liked the ending.
    Throughout all the other books, following the adventures of Marv, Dwight, Hartigan, and Nancy I was thinking, "Man, just get the fuck out of this city. It's a shithole. Go to New York or something." And then Wallace and Esther reach the same conclusion.

Also, I just recently purchased the first three Criminal TPBs. Which were totally awesome by the by.

Has Brubaker said whether or not he'll be revisiting the Tracy Lawless character? I really want to see more of that guy.

Munch on
    edited December 2008
    The next Criminal arc is about Tracy. Also, welcome to the Criminal Appreciation Society, Munch. You're going to be blown away by Bad Night.

wwtMask on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

That Yellow Bastard and the original Sin City (which Wiki calls "The Hard Goodbye", but I'm pretty sure my trade doesn't have that title) are my two favourites as well.

A friend loaned me the first three Scalped trades, and I agree that the series does an outstanding job of delving deeply into the characters. Can't wait for the fourth trade.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited December 2008
    When is Incognito supposed to hit shelves? I'm excited for it because I like the super hero books that I've read by Brubaker. I'll admit that I haven't read Criminal, but its on my list of things to do in the near future.

Lucascraft on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    INCOGNITO hits sometimes between next week and January 4th (I've heard both dates thrown around).

SCALPED should come with a "This story will be awesome but will probably depress the fuck out of you" advisory label.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I must say that the list in the OP is absolutely amazing, and people need to check out these titles ASAP, even if they dont like crime comics.

STRAY BULLETS is an amazing series, but unfortunately the creator is currently busy with more mainstream (and rent paying) projects, and the issues come out once a year... if we are lucky. Which is too bad as it is composed on separate, seemingly unconnected stories that very slowly converge as the series progresses.

If you thought reading SCALPED was like being kicked in the gut, then some of the stories in STRAY BULLETS will make you feel like someone just smashed your face with a crowbar and tore your heart out. Human drama at its finest.

muninn on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, David Lapham gives good crime comic. I wouldn't mind seeing him, Aaron, and Brubaker team up for some sort of crime anthology series.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    that Batman story Lapham did was absolute trash though

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    City of Crime? I kind of liked it. But it's been a while.

Munch on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    SCALPED is one of the only comics today that gets a genuine emotional reaction out of me. It's that good. Like jky said, depressing as fuck but fantastic.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • nindustrialnindustrial Word Typer Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    When is Incognito supposed to hit shelves? I'm excited for it because I like the super hero books that I've read by Brubaker. I'll admit that I haven't read Criminal, but its on my list of things to do in the near future.

Yeah, my shop told me next Wednesday, but we'll see.

nindustrial on
    chstreamsig.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    City of Crime? I kind of liked it. But it's been a while.

i recently reread it and really enjoyed it. i would say it's a little overwritten, and the mystery at its core is perhaps too vague for too long, but overall very enjoyable. pretty bleak, even by gotham city standards.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited December 2008
    wwtMask on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Bogart wrote: »
    Does Sleeper qualify? Yeah, it's over and stuff and it's more of a spy thing but goddamn Brubaker + Phillips has only so far = awesomeness.

I was going to come in an post this. If anyoen is interested in Incognito or Criminal, and haven't, they owe themselves to read Sleeper. It was my first introduction to Bru, and it's a great comic.

noir_blood on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I actually made a superhero espionage thread about a year ago. No one's posted to it though since April. But in a lot of ways espionage is simply crime with different motives. I'd say it fits.
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    SCALPED is one of the only comics today that gets a genuine emotional reaction out of me. It's that good. Like jky said, depressing as fuck but fantastic.

On the other hand, it is the only comic that's ever made me want to get off my ass and not let the world burn for once.

Crimsondude on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I wish Sleeper would get a new series. That was such a great run.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)