As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Brutal Legend: Buy it, it's awesome.

darleysamdarleysam On my way toUKRegistered User regular
edited October 2009 in Games and Technology
Cantido gets massive thanks for the kickass OP. Everyone praise this wonderful man.

Tim Schafer returns to make videogames metal.

brutal.jpg

IGN -9.0 = http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/103/1033952p1.html
Eurogamer – 8/10 = http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/brutal-legend-review?page=1

STORY
Eddie Riggs (voiced by Jack Black) is a roadie stuck assisting a band that claims to be heavy metal but sounds more like Simple Plan or something else quite gay, when he is nearly killed in an on-stage accident. When he wakes up, he finds himself in an entirely new world resembling covers of metal albums, where demons rule over humanity, the sky's color shifts brilliantly and appears scorched, and everything looks really...fucking...metal. Some evil priests have been waiting for him, draw swords and assault him. With a divine axe he found where he wakes up, and his own guitar, now a magical weapon, he sets forth in this strange world, which some would find hellish, but he admits, "is kinda badass."
1561316738_146afbcff7.jpg

GAMEPLAY

The multiplayer was designed first but BEWARE, playing it actually spoils the single player story, so I'll start with the campaign.

CAMPAIGN

You control Eddie Riggs in third person. The A [X] button performs melee attacks with Eddie's battle axe, The Seperator. Mash it to perform combos or hold it for an unblockable. X [square] performs magical attacks with Eddie's guitar, Clementine.

The guitar also has one more important feature. If the battlefield is safe for a moment, you can choose a guitar solo from a command wheel. After you choose one, a Guitar Hero esque sequence appears, that when performed well, unearths the land's secrets, builds structures, or unleashes flaming doom upon your enemies.

The first Solo Eddie learns reveals a car you use to traverse the land. The Deuce. A customizable vehicle which is used to plow through enemies, traverse the 64 kilometer landscape, and pick up delicious looking bitches.

You can perform the main story by itself, or explore the land, looking for sidequests, relics to raise for hidden secrets, or find other unknown ways to please the Gods, who reward Eddie with upgrades to The Deuce and his weapons. The upgrades are offered, and performed, by The Guardian of Metal (played by Ozzy Osbourne)

THE SOUNDTRACK

Let Tim Schafer put it this way...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnH1c4YIVUY

The soundtrack is customizable. You can also adjust the way the songs play based on Faction (more on this later) or Genre. My absolute favorite metal song is in there, [Diimu Borgier - Progenies of a Great Apocalypse]. Brendon Small sneaks his brutally animated band in, and Tim Schafer would like everyone to know that he did not know the genre "Pirate Metal" existed until he developed this game.

MULTIPLAYER - THE REASON I WANT THIS GAME. [And so can you!]

Multiplayer Overview

FUCK YES.

These battles are called Stage Battles. Your base is a Rockstage, the resource is geysers of pure, concentrated fandom, and your goal is to destroy the opposing stage.

First, you must set forth and find the geysers, and perform the Solo "Fan Tribute," which claims the geyser as your own and sends the power of metal fans everywhere to your stage. When you have enough resources, you can use command units to be build to fight alongside you.

There are 7 maps, with different themes and amounts of resources (one has just a single geyser.)
Up to eight players for team battles, in which team players share the same amount of leadership. (Tim Schafer recommends 2 on 2.)

THE FACTIONS

At this point, describing the factions spoils how the single player unfolds. There are three bands with very different themes, abilities and strengths.

Ironheade
Eddie Riggs metal themed faction, filled with fire, engines, machinery and Viking-ness. Single player revolves entirely around Eddie developing this faction. When Eddie claims a geyser, it becomes a Merchandising Booth!

Drowning Doom
A goth themed faction, oozing depression, dark colors and sickliness. Alone, the units are weak, but are capable of buffs and debuffs, courtesy of depressing organs and goth music, or storm clouds. You can also cast a decoy spell that looks like a real enemy vehicle on your opponent’s screen. When they claim a geyser, it becomes a Well of Tears, the source of the power, and rotted bodies and minds.
Don't click
No really don't click, the campaign isn't even that long
The leader is Ophelia, turned evil.

Tainted Coil
A black metal and S&M themed faction, led by the villain, Emperor Deviculous. The units are all demonic looking, with hints of S&M that hold their squishy, skinless bodies together. This is the only faction in which units can spawn other units on the field, away from your stage. The effect, however, is very grotesque. (Don't know their resource yet.)

forumsig.png
darleysam on

• LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Just came to post the same thing.

I guess that'll be the 2nd EA game I buy at release.

LewieP on
  • CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fingers crossed for an eventual PC port.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You gotta give props to EA for doing something like this after taking the hammering they've taken this year. I hope the game does well, I will be putting my money down day one to help towards that goal.

Hoz on
  • Dr. JeebusDr. Jeebus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fingers crossed for an eventual PC port.

I'm hoping for a Wii port. Much less likely.

Dr. Jeebus on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I never really wanted to play it...but good for both the people who have worked hard on it, and the people who were afraid it was dead in the water. :)

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hoz wrote: »
    You gotta give props to EA for doing something like this after taking the hammering they've taken this year. I hope the game does well, I will be putting my money down day one to help towards that goal.

Seriously. Even with Jack Black and the newfound interest in rock thanks to Guitar Hero and Rock Band, this is a bit of a risk. I'm just happy Activision stopped being pricks about the rights.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Does this use the guitar controller in any way? I want it, but I only have the guitar for the 360. Although that may well change by this time next year, I guess.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
    edited December 2008
    No. It'll be like a Zelda game.

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/15850

Hoz on
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh thank God someone picked this game up. Go go EA.

Drool on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    And EA finally justify all that PR they've been talking.
    Welcome news, anyway.

Xagarath on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Welcome news, anyway.

If only they'd bothered making something that wasn't Sports Game or Car Racing up until now, right?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Did EA publish the Left 4 Dead port?

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That's good news. This is one of my most anticipated games of the next year.

Nimble Cat on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    Welcome news, anyway.

If only they'd bothered making something that wasn't Sports Game or Car Racing up until now, right?
    Well Dead Space was pretty much just Z-Ball with a shooter attached. And parkour is basically a sport, right? So Mirror's Edge is out. I'm sure every Will Wright game is about car racing. They have undertones.

Oh, and I guess this news is kind of rad.
    EXCELLENT!
    doodly doodly doodly doodly wwaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhwww

Monger on
    edited December 2008
    Welcome news, anyway.

I'm baffled as to what you think I'm referring to, because that ain't it.

Xagarath on
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    Did EA publish the Left 4 Dead port?

They aren't really Valve's publisher. EA just distributes Valve's boxed games.

Drool on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Next autumn? Sweet - I'll be out of student penury and into unemployed penury, which is much easier to deal with.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    edited December 2008
    Xagarath on
    edited December 2008
    Welcome news, anyway.

I read that as this being EA's first attempt at doing something different or better, like they've been saying they're doing for over a year now. If that's not what you meant, then I apologise.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    EA have spent a lot of time in the last 12 months talking about moving away from the business model of licenses and established franchises, to focus more on new IP.

I think they are actually doing it too.

LewieP on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Enough of that nonsense guys this thread is not nearly metal enough yet.

Get on that.

94264-brutalthingie.jpg

YEAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The_Scarab on
    edited December 2008
    Welcome news, anyway.

I read that as this being EA's first attempt at doing something different or better, like they've been saying they're doing for over a year now. If that's not what you meant, then I apologise.

I didn't mean their first attempt, but their first success, from my perspective at least. Never said they hadn't been trying, but it's nice to see them actually announce something that interests me.

Xagarath on
  • GimeCGimeC Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wow, that was kind of a little "pop" in my head. The culmination of the past two years of EA slowly gaining respect in my eyes. I'm not sure I have any ill will towards them, now. I mean, they just threw a line to Tim Schafer and pals in the middle of a recession! Metal!

This will be so amazing. Oh yes.

Actually, it almost seems like a hand off of the "evil giant publisher" thing, considering Activision's remarks on the games lost from the merger earlier this year.

Edit: Oh my god, it's EA, they might actually ADVERTISE IT! It... it could SELL!

GimeC on
    edited December 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Get on that.

94264-brutalthingie.jpg

YEAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I might have to take great pains to make the OP significantly more 'metal'.

Someone teach me how to rock out?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited December 2008
    Well the simple solution is to have the OP just be a link to the official website, which is about as metal as you can get. Scrolling down pages revs an engine.

The_Scarab on
    edited December 2008
    I was thinking like, flaming skulls and pictures of sweet guitars and stuff.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited December 2008
    Flaming skull guitars.

The_Scarab on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I might have to take great pains to make the OP significantly more 'metal'.

Someone teach me how to rock out?

guitar-hero-3-instructions.jpg

I was really late to the Tim Schafer love party, but the two games I've played (Grim Fandango and part of Psychonauts) instantly sold me.

Also, I normally despise Jack Black, but there are isolated instances where he makes perfect sense, and I've figured out why. In movies where he's a supporting character, I hate him because he's so abrasive and just generally doesn't fit in with his surroundings, but if you take that abrasive character and then build a movie around it (like School of Rock), then the entire thing becomes awesome. I hold the same hopes for Brütal Legend.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited December 2008
    Well now I know how I'll be spending my Friday evening; looking for pictures of flaming skull guitars. Preferably played by a skeleton with long hair, flanked by naked, tattooed women covering their shame with nothing but a 20ft python.

This is the point at which my creativity runs dry, but they're probably riding atop something that epitomises 'metal'.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Also, you should use this as much as you can: smiley_rock.gif

EDIT: And:
    hugemetalfanrp1.gif

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Someone finally made a Heavy Metal game. Yes.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Now this is good news. Next autumn though? That's so far away! I thought the game was done-ish.
    What I'm saying is I want it nowwwwww.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
    edited December 2008
    Fiziks wrote: »
    Someone finally made a Heavy Metal game. Yes.

1112.jpeg

Xagarath on
    edited December 2008
    They're probably giving them more time to polish or add on things like Atari is to Starbreeze with the Butcher's Bay remake. It's a smart investment because advertising and distribution costs will be the same, so why not put in a little more money to make sure you're advertising and distributing a good game. You know, considering they haven't payed a dime for the development so far.

Hoz on
  • gvandalegvandale Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Is it me, or does it seem like EA has learned from their past and is actually trying to put out some good games as of late AND help publish games that aren't tired retreads (yes, they still have tired retreads, but new games that are good are a good thing)...

gvandale on
    Current Game(s) List: Disgaea 4 (PS3) & Dead Island (XBox 360)
    PSN Id: gvandale
    Xbox Live: Darth Vandale
    edited December 2008
    Yes, that is exactly what they've been doing for about a year.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm really creeped out by bizarro EA; they're making good decisions, putting out good games, cancelling subpar ones, and generally acting like they actually care about their customers. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, and it hasn't. I don't know how to handle this new reality.

That being said, I'm super pumped for this game and will probably buy it day one.

Peen on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I like new EA.

This is awesome news.
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Get on that.

YEAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:^:

If I were drinking yet I'd raise a glass to this right now. But this here tea will burn my mouth if I neck it.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    God Bless EA.

UnbreakableVow on
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, EA is finally good. They went from making the biggest prick move in recent memory (snagging sole rights to the NFL to kill other (better (to me)) franchises) to picking up the one game I've been worried sick was cancelled. Props 'n' shit.

And this should be in the OP:
    20040804h.jpg

Fawst on