As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

to avoid RROD

DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
I am buying a 360, and want to avoid becoming a statistic.

Is it known what model is the most reliable?

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
DodgeBlan on

• Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    they're all good now

maybe you should reevaluate what situations you apply "becoming a statistic" to

unless a broken xbox would literally be the most significant tragedy in your life

Faricazy on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If the 360 has HDMI output, it's the newer revision which helps with heat. Beyond that, keep it well ventilated. Not much more you can do than that.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    RROD was only an issue when the 360 first came out, it barely ever happens anymore unless you buy a refurb or something. I have never had a single issue with my 360 and ive had it for over a year now.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    DodgeBlan wrote: »

Don't put a number in your gamertag.

Sorry, I know that was a serious question and demands a serious answer.

Don't get trampled buying one at Wal-Mart.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    DodgeBlan wrote: »

Don't put a number in your gamertag.

Sorry, I know that was a serious question and demands a serious answer.

Don't get trampled buying one at Wal-Mart.

It may have been a serious question, but applying a term normally associated with things like rape, unwanted pregnancy, STDs, murder, mugging, and all that, an RRoD does seem pretty dumb to apply the phrase to...

Khavall on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Since nobody has actually answered your question: You want a 360 with a Jasper motherboard. It's supposed to run cooler. All of the newer units have a lower failure rate, but all 360s can RROD.

Here's a relevant link.

I'm not sure how to tell from outside the unit's box, before you buy it, but the more recent the shipment, the more likely it will be a jasper.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Also don't take advice from "Sam" on here. As far as he is concerned, all 360s are explosive death machines with a 100% chance to not only RROD, but explode spraying you with carcinogenic shards of plastic death, and as the soul of the machine leaves your home it will rape your sister and pets too. If you call Microsoft as you lay bleeding out on the floor, you will have only a Neptunian (as MS have outsourced their Customer Support to the cheapest place they can find) who will mock you in a bellowing voice, while refusing to repair your 360.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My launch one failed 2 years ago, got it replaced, this ones still going strong, enduring my 4-6 hour gaming sessions and a 12 hour DVD watching spree...So I guess the issue has been resolved.

variant on
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    variant wrote: »
    My launch one failed 2 years ago, got it replaced, this ones still going strong, enduring my 4-6 hour gaming sessions and a 12 hour DVD watching spree...So I guess the issue has been resolved.

Well.. if yours is two years old then it's still fairly susceptible to RROD (as in, not significantly less susceptible than any other pre-Jasper models). People have just had very varied experiences with them. I know people who have had half a dozen or more, or people that bought consoles a month ago and had theirs fail a couple weeks later. But I also know people that bought theirs at or around launch and play very regularly who have had zero problems.

The consensus seems to be that for any 360, keep it on it's side to allow for maximum airflow (vents on the top and bottom are more effective, I guess), and keep it in a well-ventilated, clean area (as you really should do for any electronics). If you're buying new these days, your chances of a RROD should be a lot lower than those that bought their consoles years ago, but it still might happen. At least rest assured you have decent cover when it does.

exis on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    A more helpful link on the Jasper and how to find out whether a unit is one.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Here is the short and simple. Look for the 12.1 amp version on the label.

jasper_hole.jpg

jasper_find.jpg

Eventually it will be 150watts but they're using up the 175watt power bricks like they did with the Zypher to Falcon transition.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Once you have it, run it horizontally with plenty of space around it. Don't run it on carpet.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thanks heaps guys

hopefully your tech advice will lead to a long and fullfilling relationship!

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm going to throw this out there as well. Don't watch DVDs on the 360 either. You'll wear the drive out faster and it's not that great of a DVD player.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    peteaboda1peteaboda1 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm going to throw this out there as well. Don't watch DVDs on the 360 either. You'll wear the drive out faster and it's not that great of a DVD player.

That is great to know considering it is my dvd player. Good thing I rarely use it I guess.

peteaboda1 on
    AcridMeat.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    If it was my only DVD player I wouldn't stop watching DVDs because of it. But if you have another device, use that instead.

Willeth on
  • Options
    lilBlilB Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Don't the new Jasper 360's come with more flash ram for the NXE? That would mean better performance instead of streaming from the hard disk right? Probably best then to get the latest model.

Currently on XBOX number 4....

lilB on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My 360 didn't RROD, but the video stopped working after 20 months. Turns out that 360s can develop any number of problems, and three red lights is simply the most common failure mode. So you better hope yours dies by RROD because otherwise, when it does break (and it almost certainly will), they won't fix it for free.

Azio on
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My refurb Xbox RROD'd for a minute a few days ago. D:

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    lilB wrote: »
    Don't the new Jasper 360's come with more flash ram for the NXE? That would mean better performance instead of streaming from the hard disk right? Probably best then to get the latest model.

The only thing I heard about the ram is that it's supposed to have been scaled down to 65nm as well. It's still 512mb of 700mhz GDR3 ram.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    lilB wrote: »

The only thing I heard about the ram is that it's supposed to have been scaled down to 65nm as well. It's still 512mb of 700mhz GDR3 ram.

Actually, the memory is still 80nm. And the flash memory onboard is nice, I guess, but it's really for savegames--there isn't enough space to install full 360 games or anything. Maybe one or two Live Arcade/Community Games, but load times aren't usually an issue there anyway.

So I wouldn't count on seeing any real performance increase.

OremLK on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    It was my understanding that the on-board flash memory was only for the firmware / NXE, and it could not be used for save games? That's just what I read anyways.

As for other hardware failures yes I have read about a whole lot of em and experienced a few myself. I have had a lot of crashes with my 360 months before it gave the RROD. Very frustrating when your trying to play a game. They wont fix it until it has a RROD so if it crashes all the time without the RROD your out of luck. There are a lot of documented cases of DVD drives failing as well. Because of this all replacement consoles from Microsoft now have 100% of the internal parts replaced. This is to protect customers from inheriting a refurb with other problems like excessive noise or DVD-ROM failure.

I'm on my fourth 360 and I have to say I have experienced a lot of downtime with it. I don't really turn it on anymore because I have switched back to PlayStation.

Just to throw this out there my buddy has a PS3 and he had the hard drive fail. He sent it to Sony and had his console (THE SAME ONE) back with a new hard disk in under a month. All his purchased games still work. His purchases were easily restored from a backup. He doesn't have to be online to play or anything.

lilB on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Actually the PS3 has a hard drive for the firmware/OS. One show I watched on TV said the internal memory is used for are game patches for people who don't have the hard drive.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Remove your 360 Casing and use a powerful Deskfan to cool it.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Dis wrote: »
    Remove your 360 Casing and use a powerful Deskfan to cool it.

The desk fan is a good idea if you have the space and don't mind the noise, but removing the case will void your warranty. This is not good.

OremLK on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Actually the PS3 has a hard drive for the firmware/OS. One show I watched on TV said the internal memory is used for are game patches for people who don't have the hard drive.

Are you sure that wasn't the 360? All PS3s have hard drives.

Willeth on
  • Options
    variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Willeth wrote: »

Are you sure that wasn't the 360? All PS3s have hard drives.

I think the first sentence was regarding the ps3 and the 2nd regarding the question someone asked about the 360.

variant on
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Once you have it, run it horizontally with plenty of space around it. Don't run it on carpet.

Here's a question, won't running the console horizontally increase the contact area with the surface, thus making it hotter?

Not like I have a lot of room to run in horizontally anyway.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Adding more fans to the 360 doesn't always work. The chips in there should be able to withstand really high temperatures. Most of the failures are caused by improperly heated solder during manufaturing. Over time the solder joins weaken from the normal heat up / cool down cycle. Adding more fans won't fix that.

lilB on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Akatsuki wrote: »

Here's a question, won't running the console horizontally increase the contact area with the surface, thus making it hotter?

The trade-off is an extra internal fan running, though. When it's on its end one of them is blocked and not running due to the mercury switch inside the 360 knowing that it's on its end. When its horizontal, any heat trapped by surface contact is displaced by the extra cooling.

/not science

Willeth on
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Akatsuki wrote: »

The trade-off is an extra internal fan running, though. When it's on its end one of them is blocked and not running due to the mercury switch inside the 360 knowing that it's on its end. When its horizontal, any heat trapped by surface contact is displaced by the extra cooling.

/not science

Fair enough. I'll see if I can get horizontal :winky:

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041