As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PSP Castlevania At Last!

DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Games and Technology
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3156904
http://kotaku.com/gaming/psp/psp-finally-gets-castlevania-233344.php

mediaoz9.jpg
Once upon a time there was a Super NES game called Dracula X. And lo did many Castlevania fans play this game and say unto themselves, "Meh, it's okay, but it sure seems like a step back from Castlevania IV." Many seasons later, unto PlayStation a masterpiece was born, building interest in the series among fans new and old. But also did it prompt Japan-loving users of the Internet to issue forth a decree.

"Hear ye, hear ye!" they bellowed. "Dracula X is but a sham! A pitiful shadow of a first-rate classic called Dracula X: Rondo of Blood, to which your new darling Symphony of the Night is the true sequel!" And there was much amazement in those days, and much sadness, for Rondo's excellence was matched only by its rarity and inaccessibility. Having been released as a CD-based game for the PC Engine Duo, Japan's version of the Turbo CD, it was both difficult to come by and nigh-impossible to download back in the days of 56K modems. Thus were both pirates and legitimate customers stymied.

But the virtuous are being rewarded for their patience, because at long last -- on the 10th anniversary of Symphony of the Night, in fact -- Rondo of Blood is finally making its way to America. And how it's coming over might come as a bit of a surprise: a 3D remake for PSP.

A Completist's Dream

But there's more to Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles than a mere graphically-enhanced version of a long-coveted classic (although that alone would certainly sell the game to most people). According to Konami, Chronicles will also include the original 2D version of the game. And, for good measure, a straight port of Symphony of the Night, featuring full-screen graphics and a touched-up localization. Sorry, kitch addicts -- no more scenery-chewing here.

What Symphony won't be receiving is a 3D facelift; that honor is reserved solely for Rondo. But Rondo's the focus here anyway. Fans have been clamoring for years for a port, a rerelease, a remake, anything, so long as the game makes its way into American hands -- and now it's on the way. Symphony's inclusion is simply a sweet, sweet bonus.

Oh. My. God.

Sweet. That's about all I have to say.
Edit: Be sure to take a gander at the video, too. THAT's how you make a 3D Castlevania.

Edit2: For good Castlevania-ish action for the wait/alternatively, NeoRasa recommends you google "Castlevania Haunted Castle 3" and "Dracula's Shadow"

Darlan on

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I still gots to pick up the DS games. How easy are they to find?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Playstation PORTable indeed.

Well, remake, not port. But still.

This almost makes me want to buy a PSP.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Crap, I guess I need to get a PSP now.

This and MGS: PO are making me give in.

BiggNife on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Does this look ugly to anybody else? Oh well, it will have the original and will be the only way for me to play Dracula X: Rondo of Blood without spending a shitload. This is assuming it doesn't come to the VC, which it probably won't.

Couscous on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I can't even access NeoGAF, and dollars to donuts this game is the reason.

*sigh*

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    SotN and Dracula X on one disc? That's almost too good to be true.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    titmouse wrote:
    Does this look ugly to anybody else? Oh well, it will be the only way for me to play Dracula X: Rondo of Blood without spending a shitload. This is assuming it doesn't come to the VC, which it probably won't.
    The full 2D version is on it too, though. So everyone's happy.

BiggNife on
  • Options
    MillerMiller Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Pureauthor wrote:
    I can't even access NeoGAF, and dollars to donuts this game is the reason.

*sigh*

Plus, Konami announced a new Wii game from the Elebits team, with more news on the way, apparently.

Miller on
    prestigeangiernu3.jpg
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    well if companies insist on porting games to the psp this is the way to do it.

Take note from Capcom and Konami.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Man, a game comes out of nowhere and takes the top spot for my most anticipated game of 2007. I haven't been this surprised and satisfied with a preview in a long time. I'm a happy camper right now. :)

Darlan on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    That screenshot looks like ass.

I mean, I'll probably end up buying this for the original versions of Rondo and SotN, but man, I'm starting to hate 3D grafix remakes of old 2D sidescrollers.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Well, at least SOMEONE still cares about good games for the PSP.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    psp why must you break my heart :cry:

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    That screenshot looks like ass.

I mean, I'll probably end up buying this for the original versions of Rondo and SotN, but man, I'm starting to hate 3D grafix remakes of old 2D sidescrollers.
    I disliked the 3D remake of Mega Man for the PSP.
    mega-man-powered-up--20060123112230369.jpg

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Playstation PORTable indeed.

Well, remake, not port. But still.

This almost makes me want to buy a PSP.
    Uh...
    Having been released as a CD-based game for the PC Engine Duo, Japan's version of the Turbo CD, it was both difficult to come by and nigh-impossible to download back in the days of 56K modems. Thus were both pirates and legitimate customers stymied.
    I'm not saying you haven't played it or anything, but that's hardly a port of RE proportions.

Darlan on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    interesting, will they be translating Dracula X original? I still would like that game to appear on the VC.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    TelMarine wrote:
    interesting, will they be translating Dracula X original? I still would like that game to appear on the VC.
    I doubt it will. I think the game is over three hundred MB.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The fact that it will have the original 2D Dracula X on it makes it worth $50 alone. I don't know why they would shame themselves by showing screenshots/footage of the enhanced (my ass) graphics version.

That said, what's with them using The Beginning instead of Cross a Fear for the first level? The "Wyvern" and the "Orphic Viper" at the end of the level look like ass. What the hell? Confused

There's a freeware fan game called Trevor's Quest that's much better than this. Especially because it has towns and non-linear gameplay like Simon's Quest. Purchasable weapons and the works. It uses art assets from mostly Symphony of the Night, Super Castlevania IV and Haunted Castle, making it one of the most graphically intense 2D fan games to be made in the west.
    titmouse wrote:
    TelMarine wrote:
    I doubt it will. I think the game is over three hundred MB.

Most of that is the music and voice samples though, and while the SNES port is a travesty by comparison (though it has a cooler final boss fight) they DID successfully sequence the majority of the music. It wasn't cd quality but if they're going to translate it, with current synth prowess it's definitely possible.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    Awesome. I'll have to pick this up. This closer to the original Castlevanias, or the Metroidvanias?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    is it just me or does the game look ugly as hell due to design and not graphical power? It looks like fan made game or something.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Awesome. I'll have to pick this up. This closer to the original Castlevanias, or the Metroidvanias?

It's closer to the originals. It's extremely good. I don't know if I like it quite as much as the original or Dracula's Curse but it's a fantastic game.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    is it just me or does the game look ugly as hell due to design and not graphical power? It looks like fan made game or something.

All the fan made games look better. :P

Neo Rasa on
  • Options
    TroubledTomTroubledTom regular
    edited February 2007
    This would be a must buy on a system I already own. But I already have and love the original version, and this one doesn't seem to add much besides graphics of uncertain artistic merit. It's cool they're finally porting Dracula X, but I'd much rather take an original action game without all tired old Metroid crap found in every 2D Castlevania since SOTN.

TroubledTom on
    Wii friend code: 8704 3489 1049 8917
    Mario Kart DS: 3320 6595 7026 5000
  • Options
    Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Elendil wrote:
    Yeah, I'm getting a PSP now.

My nerd rage is so strong right now I think I just got my virginity back.

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote:

It's closer to the originals. It's extremely good. I don't know if I like it quite as much as the original or Dracula's Curse but it's a fantastic game.
    Good. I just can't get into the Metroidvanias, but Super C IV rocked my fucking head off back when I was a kid, and I loved the NES versions.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    There's a freeware fan game called Trevor's Quest that's much better than this. Especially because it has towns and non-linear gameplay like Simon's Quest. Purchasable weapons and the works. It uses art assets from mostly Symphony of the Night, Super Castlevania IV and Haunted Castle, making it one of the most graphically intense 2D fan games to be made in the west.

Not to derail, but, can I get some linkage? A few basic googles didn't come up with much.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    fan games are shit.

JJ on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    JJ wrote:
    fan games are shit.
    The King's Quest fan remake is awesome.

Couscous on
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The video looks pretty good. Shit.

Still, like I said in the other thread, I'll remain strong. I'm not buying a PSP until I can get it for under $100, awesome Konami games be damned.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I wish there were more Castlevania's like Simon's Quest. I think I was like 10 when I first played it, and I was hooked.

Is Portrait of Ruin like that at all? Because that's what the information on it reminded me of.

Castlevanias feel so lifeless nowadays. Kill some critters, meet some people, drama ensues.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I can't provide links for reasons that will become obvious when you find where the two fan games I speak of are uploaded. The games you're looking for are:

Castlevania Haunted Castle 3 (Like Simon's Quest but uses lots of sprites and tiles from the large character games like Super Castlevania IV and Haunted Castle)

Dracula's Shadow (Basically Simon's Quest with everything moved around, totally awesome)

Don't expect polished graphics/sound/control, but the core feel and gameplay is surprisingly strong in both of these.

Neo Rasa on
  • Options
    TxdoHawkTxdoHawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Man, this is awesome and all, but where is the home console love? I'd be happy with even a PS2 port of this, but come on Konami. As someone lamented in a random comment thread on a news post for this, I want a nice 2d Castlevania on my big TV. Portable games rule, but consoles need the 2d goodness too. I don't want to sit hunched over staring at a tiny screen all the time.

By the way, Rondo of Blood makes CV fans spooge for a reason. Even if you prefer the Metroid-vania style, you owe it to yourself to check this out, if only because this is where a lot of the ideas for SotN started brewing.

Also, it rocks.

That new graphical facelift though? Not so much.

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    While it looks like they preserved the level design quite well in the video, something just seems off about it all. I can't really complain since they're including the original version of the game.

Except I don't want to get a PSP. If only Konami would wise up and bring Dracula X to the Virtual Console somehow.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    *sigh* This is just the wrong forum to post this, I guess.

Darlan on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Am I the only one that thinks this still looks like ass compared to their best sprite work?

Meiz on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I am super excited about this, just for the 2D games alone. Right now my PSP is solely a Metal Gear and Sid Meier's Pirates! machine. This is great!

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Man, if Sony just lowered the price of the PSP a bit, it could really start getting some of the momentum it lost with the quality games that been coming out/announced lately.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Kyougu wrote:
    Man, if Sony just lowered the price of the PSP a bit, it could really start getting some of the momentum it lost with the quality games that been coming out/announced lately.

I don't honestly think a price cut is going to save this thing with so many mediocre titles.

Meiz on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Meiz wrote:
    Kyougu wrote:

I don't honestly think a price cut is going to save this thing with so many mediocre titles.

I honestly disagree. I think the PSP has a lot of good to great titles. I know the conception is that it's just port city, but even alot of it's ports are really good. Sony just needs to do a better job pushing this fact.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Meiz wrote:
    Kyougu wrote:

The PSP has a pretty strong library of titles right now. I honestly have more games on it to play than I have time to play them, and I still haven't picked up Killzone: Liberation, Metal Slug, MGS: Portable OPs or tried any of the PSone ports.

With FF tactics and Castlevania coming shortly, there's a lot of gaming to be done.

Brolo on