As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Japanimation] Quarantine Thread

• Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    I'm a gearhead. some people are into cars, I'm into giant robots, and really, if the mechanical design is bad, it doesn't matter how good the plot is or whatever, if the combat isn't apealing, and the characters don't appeal to me. it's pretty much Game Over.
    Good for you. Stop applying your metric to everyone else.
    Yeah, but there are different kinds of anime that can sitafy the need of people who want overly complicated plot. I'd like it to stop changing my robot shows.

They're not your robot shows.
    I'm sorry, They need to stop changing a genre intended for males, and changing it into a genre for females only. I don' even understand how any guy could watch something like Gundam 00. it reeks of "Fangirl Pride" as it were.

They're not turning it into a genre for females only, you just think they are because you're some sort of weird asexual social pariah with the brain of a fruit fly.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm a gearhead. some people are into cars, I'm into giant robots, and really, if the mechanical design is bad, it doesn't matter how good the plot is or whatever, if the combat isn't apealing, and the characters don't appeal to me. it's pretty much Game Over.
    Yeah, but there are different kinds of anime that can sitafy the need of people who want overly complicated plot. I'd like it to stop changing my robot shows.

I'm sorry, They need to stop changing a genre intended for males, and changing it into a genre for females only. I don' even understand how any guy could watch something like Gundam 00. it reeks of "Fangirl Pride" as it were.

They're not turning it into a genre for females only, you just think they are because you're some sort of weird asexual social pariah with the brain of a fruit fly.

Can you honestly look at this ED, and tell me they weren't trying to please their new fanbase?

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008

That's some grade-A gender-essentialism. So since my favorite giant-robot franchise is also one that BadKitty likes, does that mean that I'm transgendered?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    No, of course I can't, becuse they ARE trying to please their new fanbase.

You seem to be unable to grasp the fact that diffrent elements of a show can be aimed at pleasing different demographics so as to maximize th amount of viewers a show gets.

also yeah you're coming off as a misogynist douchebag thnks to how poorly you word your arguments.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

That's some grade-A gender-essentialism. So since my favorite giant-robot franchise is also one that BadKitty likes, does that mean that I'm transgendered?
    There is a difference between a woman and a fangirl. you know, the fanfiction writing, yaoi obsessed, kind?

they should all go back to their sports anime like PoT. they should really stop ruining these shows that I like.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

There is a difference between a woman and a fangirl. you know, the fanfiction writing, yaoi obsessed, kind?

they should all go back to their sports anime like PoT. they should really stop ruining these shows that I like.

Someday you'll realize that you just have to deal with whatever the world decides to throw at you; you don't really get to demand anything of it. And whining about the world not conforming to your specific desires is silly.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited December 2008

But you're just an obsessed fanboy, too. You're no better than them. Your obession with these shows simply manifests differently. Instead of writing fan fiction and stuff like that you regard these shows as somehow belonging to you.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

You ruin this thread for people like me. Are you happy? Do you want to make me cry? Don't you want to run around and desert me? I would appreciate it if you did.

Can anyone recommend a good feudal era -esque series? I've watched a few series over the years, but I've been out of the anime loop for a year or two.

Astraphobia on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

But you're just an obsessed fanboy, too. You're no better than them. Your obession with these shows simply manifests differently. Instead of writing fan fiction and stuff like that you regard these shows as somehow belonging to you.
    Except I don't write creepy fanfiction or draw fanart. I build model kits and collect toys. far healthier.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Irrelevant. If giant robots are a genre for males unless you think they have too much t&a or you don't like their mechanical design, in which case they are for girls, one of us is having some gender-confusion going on. Am I flamboyant or is BadKitty butch? Or was that just a stupid comment for you to make in the first place?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Go fuck yourself.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Bad Kitty wrote: »

Go fuck yourself.
    these people have their entire own genre. (there are a whole category of shounen-ai shows. go look up Kyou Kara Maoh.)

Why do they have to hostily takeover my fandom?

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'd like to see a Mecha anime which is similar to Dawson's Creek or Beverly Hills 90210 with a lot of sexy drama between robots that are aware of their own existence. It could be called Dawson's Bleak and it could be very dark and angst ridden and the big Optimus Prime-like robot could fall in love with his best robot-friends robot girlfriend but then around the 7th or 8th episode we'd find out that the girl has always had a crush on the main, big robot and they have an affair, grinding against each other in the garage, until the friend busts in on them but then in the 15th episode he finds out he's gay. It would be Robo-Yaoi from then on.

Drez on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Nobody is ruining anything there. Nothing is ruined. This is an asinine and immature sentiment. Stop holding it.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Except I don't write creepy fanfiction or draw fanart. I build model kits and collect toys. far healthier.

Except no because you constantly obsess about these shows and about how womenfolk liking pretty boys are ruining the shows that are YOURS

YOUR SHOWS YOURS YOURS YOURS ALONE HOW DARE THEY YOU PUT SO MUCH EMOTIONAL INVESTMENT INTO THOSE SHOWS RAAAAAUGH

you are JUST as sad and pathetic as the worst fangirl. You are JUST as obsessed. You show this obsession differently. That is what I said. You didn't even read my post.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Go fuck yourself.
    these people have their entire own genre. (there are a whole category of shounen-ai shows. go look up Kyou Kara Maoh.)

They're not taking over.

What fangirls are taking over Gundam? Or anything? Do they have a movement? Do they plan and plot in secret?

No. But you don't seem to understand that fangirls have nothing to do with it other than the fact that they are an audience executives are trying to branch out to.

They're not doing anything. The people who make the shows, and who have nothing to do with these fangirls, are doing shit.

But you're too soft in the head to realize this.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Also stupid. None of the above hobbies are natively healthy nor unhealthy, either one can be a device used to promote the growth of unhealthy attitudes and worldviews, and either one can be used as a substitute for real interaction. In either of those cases, all four of those things are unhealthy. There's also the question of how much of your assets you devote to a hobby. If you spend more each month on model kits and dolls than you spend on rent, you are likely doing it wrong.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Go fuck yourself.

Okay this one's just creepy.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Every third Wednesday, fangirls across the world go to their covens. They harmonize their minds and will anime shows into having cute boys.

They must be stopped.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Go fuck yourself.

Congratulations, you're the first person ever on my ignore list!

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I loved it how in SEED they retconned one of the few good characters because he was too old, and basically outcried for one of the dead pretty boys to come back to life in the second season.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Go fuck yourself.

Are you honestly trying to tell me that the entire reason you're whining so much is because "YUCKY GIRLS ARE GETTING COOTIES ALL OVER THINGS I LIKE"?

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I loved it how in SEED they retconned one of the few good characters because he was too old, and basically outcried for one of the dead pretty boys to come back to life in the second season.

Sorry about that. I wrote a letter so they would do that. I was trying to get this fangirl to sleep with me and one thing led to another and...well lets just say I put pen to paper.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Go fuck yourself.

Are you honestly trying to tell me that the entire reason you're whining so much is because "YUCKY GIRLS ARE GETTING COOTIES ALL OVER THINGS I LIKE"?
    I wouldn't have so much of a problem if the makers of the show could please both! as much as they work on the character relationship and making the characters pretty, I'd like for them to work as hard on the mecha design and battle setpieces.

nothing in Gundam 00 I've seen even compared to even the most basic Battle from Gundam X.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wait did you just say fanart is bad but making model kits is good?

But but

No I just don't get it

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Gumpy wrote: »

But but

No I just don't get it
    To be more specific, Yaoi fanart.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Go fuck yourself.

I wouldn't have so much of a problem if the makers of the show could please both! as much as they work on the character relationship and making the characters pretty, I'd like for them to work as hard on the mecha design and battle setpieces.

nothing in Gundam 00 I've seen even compared to even the most basic Battle from Gundam X.

Or maybe no one owes you a goddamn thing, so the fact that none of the things you're saying make any sense doesn't even end up mattering.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Gumpy wrote: »

But but

No I just don't get it
    To be more specific, Yaoi fanart.

I wouldn't say that. Some of it is quite good, really.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Go fuck yourself.

Or maybe no one owes you a goddamn thing, so the fact that none of the things you're saying make any sense doesn't even end up mattering.
    Because having pretty boys and character developement and complex plot or whatever gives them a free pass to suck at the Mecha design and battles?

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Gundam.jpg

Clawshrimpy, give me your honest opinion.

I'm a fan of the shoulder design. The chestplate is pretty stylish, drawing attention to the faction emblem without being over the top. And the bulkiness of both of these creates a nice, refreshing contrast with the slender arms which tress out to match the rest of the design.

Your thoughts?

Frosteey on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Because having pretty boys and character developement and complex plot or whatever gives them a free pass to suck at the Mecha design and battles?

No, they just don't owe you anything. Your definitions of accepability are so limiting that no one would like the shows you want them to be except you. Broaden your horizons or don't, either way no one cares what you think about any of these shows.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Frosteey wrote: »
    Gundam.jpg

Clawshrimpy, give me your honest opinion.

I'm a fan of the shoulder design. The chestplate is pretty stylish, drawing attention to the faction emblem without being over the top. And the bulkiness of both of these creates a nice, refreshing contrast with the slender arms which tress out to match the rest of the design.

Your thoughts?

It's allright I suppose. have no idea what show it's from so I can't really pass judgement.

anyway,, I generally hate fangirls for this kind of attitude.

1223157136298.png

RAMBA RAL WAS A BETTER CHARACTER THAN YOUR PRECIOUS MWU LA FLAGA COULD EVER HOPE TO BE

DID RAMBA ET RESURRECTED DUE TO FAN OUTCRY? NO. AND THAT'S THE WAY IT SHOULD WORK.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    We've been over this before. Shit changes. It's always going to change. You can't handle that. Fine. If you don't want it to change watch the same show and not new stuff.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Has it occurred to you that this particular show, while having mecha, isn't about the mecha?

Quid on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

But you don't even watch these shows. You don't know anything about them and you just make shit up. How can you judge them, then?

And yes, it is blatantly obvious that you just make shit up and present it as fact.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Has it occurred to you that this particular show, while having mecha, isn't about the mecha?
    SO it's Code Geass. They've turned Gundam into Code Geass. this proves my point and makes my resolve for my arguement stronger.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    SO it's Code Geass. They've turned Gundam into Code Geass. this proves my point and makes my resolve for my arguement stronger.
    It's not binary is the point. Yes, there's giant robots. Yes, they play an important part. No, it's not important enough to meet your fanboyish design requirements.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Code Geass isn't the only show that does these things you tremendous retard. It wasn't the first by ANY stretch.

You know what shows were about the mechs? SEED and Destiny. You know which shows were about characters more than the mechs? Turn A Gundam and the UC Gundams. Also VOTOMS.

You have a fantastically illogical double standard.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Being the kind of gearhead who only likes imaginary machines must be convenient. You never end up having to learn about anything like physics or materials or how machines work in general.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Code Geass isn't the only show that does these things you tremendous retard. It wasn't the first by ANY stretch.

You know what shows were about the mechs? SEED and Destiny. You know which shows were about characters more than the mechs? Turn A Gundam and the UC Gundams. Also VOTOMS.

You have a fantastically illogical double standard.
    Yeah, SEED was about Mechs. Terrible mechs. also UC and Turn A actually, you know, did the story/characters thing well, and wen you did get some mecha action, you got it in spades. go watch Char's Counterattack, or the Gouf Custom Battle in 08th MS.

Clawshrimpy on
This discussion has been closed.