As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Shutup and Let Me [PHOTO]

• muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    muninn wrote: »
    The color one is more interesting to me, but the white balance seems to be a scootch off (too much magenta?). But that's being really picky. Still though, I vote color.

I vote color as well. I would go black and white if the main focus of the picture is very well defined and strong. Here the kick ass lighting is one of the main attractions, so getting rid of it would be a waste.

Exactly, stage lighting is great. This is why I get infuriated when I see concert picks with a flash used (on camera at least).

Especially the jerks that get paid for it.... *grumble grumble*

Properly gelled fill flash can work wonders at a concert.

muninn on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The color one is more interesting to me, but the white balance seems to be a scootch off (too much magenta?). But that's being really picky. Still though, I vote color.

I vote color as well. I would go black and white if the main focus of the picture is very well defined and strong. Here the kick ass lighting is one of the main attractions, so getting rid of it would be a waste.

Exactly, stage lighting is great. This is why I get infuriated when I see concert picks with a flash used (on camera at least).

Yeah, I guess I should have been a little bit more specific. I mainly just mean "bare flash straight to the face" type shots.

Add something to the thread, I was just recommended the book: On Photography, by Susan Sontag

Prospicience on
  • JAmp5JAmp5 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Yeah, I guess I should have been a little bit more specific. I mainly just mean "bare flash straight to the face" type shots.

Add something to the thread, I was just recommended the book: On Photography, by Susan Sontag

Good book that, helps you get in to a mindset about photography and fills in a bit of the background without being too wordy and mind numbing.

I feel lame asking this but...

Is there anyone who makes money from photography here and, if so, would you mind filling out a quick questionnaire/ interview thing? It's for my professional development module and it's pretty short and to the point. A custom desktop wallpaper with an image of their choice for the participant :D

JAmp5 on
    edited December 2008
    I think Uncle Long and Sheri are the only two... I know communist cow does fashion shoots but I dunno if he gets paid for them. If I missed anyone I apologize.

Prospicience on
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Been up to the usual:

3102216944_00468696ec_o.jpg

3101379889_44f674570d_o.jpg

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
    edited December 2008
    sonictk wrote: »
    Oh and I totally forgot to post these, this was a while back when I was trying to shoot random plants and stuff in the garden:
    dsc0072dh7.jpg

I love that image. The composition and color contrast is great. I like how the background is still kind of grayish instead of dead black. My only complaint is the stick(?) in the bottom right. I would clone/heal brush that out because it is a tad distracting.

CommunistCow on
  • BoxBox Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    A Few new ones.

tonyviewhdr.jpg

hailey2.jpg

epictree.jpg

Box on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Box, the thing on the right edge of your first shot bugs me.

On the other hand, the shot also gives me powerful, '70s science fiction inspired ideas.

I took some Christmas light shots. They came out kinda decent, maybe. Sorta.

3102372832_5d355e5ced.jpg
    ^ That yard was fucking PACKED. I'm surprised I managed to avoid as many other random things getting into that shot as I did.

3101538649_d831f963b0.jpg

3102373022_f3c0ddd64b.jpg
    ^ I'm thinking this one probably needs to be straightened and get a little photoshop magic applied. What do you guys think?

3101538869_dfe1e65388.jpg

So, yeah. Thoughts?

yalborap on
  • Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    JAmp5 wrote: »
    I feel lame asking this but...

Is there anyone who makes money from photography here and, if so, would you mind filling out a quick questionnaire/ interview thing? It's for my professional development module and it's pretty short and to the point. A custom desktop wallpaper with an image of their choice for the participant :D

I do, and I'd be happy to.

Jake! on
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Been up to the usual:

3102216944_00468696ec_o.jpg

3101379889_44f674570d_o.jpg

I like the lighting in the second one A LOT more than the first one, but feel the first ones "pose" is more natural than the second one. Also, I kind of feel not a lot of uniformity in theme throughout the two photos (not a connecting theme, but the individual photos and the objects in them). I'm not sure that is coming off right.

The more I look at number two, the more I would dig it if she were in some smoky bar, sitting on a throwback red leather seat or something.

Attractive model though, I would definitely work with her more in the future.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    edited December 2008
    sonic: can't really put my finger on it, but for some reason that plant pic bugs me (not very helpful sorry). I want to like it, but can't figure out why I don't.

Jake: all 3 are pretty awesome shots, the mountain one I especially like. But, I <3 snow/frost pics so....

Yalb: Really like the comp. in the second one.

I practice lighting at office again, toying with some backlighting.
    3102420475_d0a1133286.jpg

Prospicience on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2008
    I'm shopping for a medium-format SLR, and found a Bronica ETR-Si in a pretty good condition for $650; I'm leaning toward buying. Does anyone have experience with this camera?

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Box wrote: »
    A Few new ones.

tonyviewhdr.jpg

You need to work on your PS brush work when editing things. I can see lots of bleed over around the painting making the wall look very yellow. I also noticed the pinkishness around the face/slide viewer. There are some pretty weird artifacts in the faint shadow on the right and left of the couch that looks very dirty greyish. It looks like there might have been some over editing of curves or colors.

The frame on the upper right is just distracting I would clone/heal it out. Also I would try and pay more attention to detail and remove the mac book from under the couch and the remote control over on the left.

CommunistCow on
    edited December 2008
    Elki wrote: »
    I'm shopping for a medium-format SLR, and found a Bronica ETR-Si in a pretty good condition for $650; I'm leaning toward buying. Does anyone have experience with this camera?

I'm assuming this isn't a digital back medium format.

CommunistCow on
  • Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

No, those start at a lot of money. Elki, it looks like a neat body, but may I ask why you're picking a dead system like Bronica over, say, a Hasselblad setup? You could get a mint Hasselblad 500CM body with waist level finder for $500, and it still has lenses in production today - meaning not only the option of buying new, but also a far steadier stream of used stuff coming up for sale.

Oh, and $650 for a Bronica ETR-Si seems exceptionally overpriced. ETR-Si bodies can be had for about $80 on KEH and a waist level finder seems to be about $100 on eBay. $650 is completely lunacy.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Been a while since I made any pictures like these:

IMG_7288.jpg

IMG_7292.jpg

Thoughts?

erisian pope on
  • NostregarNostregar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    pope: I really like the second one, not such a fan of the first.

This was a bit of an experiment, pretty happy with how it came out. A picture of rain/condensation on my window during a storm. The color is from a streetlight outside.

img0508resizedvj2.jpg

Nostregar on
    edited December 2008
    and now for something different from me:

3104449148_d44cfc6aaa_o.jpg

Nostregar: I like the concept but the execution could use some work. It would be nice if the entire plane was in focus. Also the part that is supposed to be in focus is still not perfectly in focus.

erisian pope: I think the first one is somewhat interesting and abstract but the second is a bit to squiggily for my tastes.

Personally I prefer less abstract light stuff like this:

CommunistCow on
  • burkhartburkhart Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dark Moon wrote: »

No, those start at a lot of money. Elki, it looks like a neat body, but may I ask why you're picking a dead system like Bronica over, say, a Hasselblad setup? You could get a mint Hasselblad 500CM body with waist level finder for $500, and it still has lenses in production today - meaning not only the option of buying new, but also a far steadier stream of used stuff coming up for sale.

Oh, and $650 for a Bronica ETR-Si seems exceptionally overpriced. ETR-Si bodies can be had for about $80 on KEH and a waist level finder seems to be about $100 on eBay. $650 is completely lunacy.

qft.

the hasselblad's carl zeiss lenses have the sickest optics ever too. plus you can get digital backs, polaroid backs, view finders with built in light meters, etc.

what camera did nasa send to the moon during the historic apollo missions? a hasselblad. this should probably be enough to convince you

burkhart on
    turnin' corners with mah pinky mang
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2008
    Dark Moon wrote: »

I thought I had a "complete" in there (prism included), but apparently I don't. My professor was pumping the Hasselblad something hard, too. Price is the main reason I was considering the Bronica. I have a budget of about $1000, but I'm also very wary about eBay.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • needOpticneedOptic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Bite me. They're funny!

IMG_8176.jpg

IMG_8187.jpg

And a good friend

IMG_8192.jpg

needOptic on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Why would a cat see a 1 inch ledge and think, "Hey, I should jump up there and see what's going on."

Crazy cat. :P

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    edited December 2008
    Trying to shoot some promos for an airsoft organization I help to run, and I am finding this incredibly frustrating. I just dont have the space or equipment, not to mention experience in this type of a shoot.
    This shot taken with one SB600 unit and about 6 different house lamps strewn around it. I will need to shoot one in a horizontal manner as I need negative space to insert some text, but I dont have a backdrop for it. I will have to use a white wall, I guess, and then replace it with some texture or something.

Any suggestions and criticism would be most welcome.

3107418873_90bfb9a77e.jpg

muninn on
  • anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The thing about promos is that it's all about mood and/or style. What are you going for exactly so we can tell you if you're getting there.

anable on
    edited December 2008
    I guess I am going for the whole "outdoor adventure of manly ruggedness in pretending to be super leet special forces..."

muninn on
  • Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    muinn: it looks a bit flat to be honest.

Playing with the sleep thing, although I couldn't get the shot I wanted because I forgot to bring a ladder.

bed1.jpg

bed2.jpg

bed4.jpg

Jake! on
    edited December 2008
    Jake! wrote: »
    muinn: it looks a bit flat to be honest.

Playing with the sleep thing, although I couldn't get the shot I wanted because I forgot to bring a ladder.

I think this is the best one of the set because you can see more of her face and it looks posed without looking awkward. The bookshelf is a little distracting but if you did a shallow DOF you would lose the shoes or face which I like having both in focus. It might be nice if there was more light on the face or if you brought that up a little in PS.
    bed1.jpg

This would be a lot better if you could see more of the model's face.
    bed2.jpg

Good idea about the angle but the model's pose is so absurdly awkward that it detracts a lot from the shot. Her hands are so very stiff. I'm assuming you used a wide angle which is distorting her body to her head looks smaller and her feet look larger which is also kind of distracting.
    bed4.jpg

CommunistCow on
    edited December 2008
    Jake - That last pose looks really forced.

So a friend of a friend decided to have an outdoor wedding in December amongst Christmas lights. Which made me go D:.

I somehow still managed a few (imho) good ones.
    3108643434_0fbabc5a85.jpg

3107810313_3ea7510f9c.jpg

anable on
  • JivesJives Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    3108450240_df6a0f8bcd_b.jpg

this is my favourite photo that I have taken

Jives on
  • bionicbionic Washington StateRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm hoping for some feedback, I haven't posted pictures in a really long time. A lot of the forumers here prefer that everyone that posts pictures also leaves feedback for others, but I feel really intimidated by the work here a lot of the time and I just don't feel quite cut out to offer suggestions just yet :) With that said I'd really like to get better and everyone here is really generous with suggestions.

Today is the first snow so my friend went out and took some pictures!

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

DSC_0059.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

bionic on
    edited December 2008
    The cold tone in the first one doesn't do much for me, the second one is a bit underexposed, the third one is really sharp but the branches don't do anything for me, and the last one is pretty good all around and the best by far.

anable on
  • SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    anable wrote: »
    and the last one is pretty good all around and the best by far.

Sueve on
  • needOpticneedOptic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The last one is the best. I wish the horizon wasn't lining up right with her face.

Walking around

IMG_8203web.jpg

IMG_8205web.jpg

IMG_8209web.jpg

needOptic on
    edited December 2008
    Sueve wrote: »
    anable wrote: »
    and the last one is pretty good all around and the best by far.

Screw you people the second to last is the best one with the framing of the face.

The 'cold' color on the first one is meh and it is far too centered and a pole is sticking out of her head.
    2nd one is underexposed as someone already pointed out.
    4th one has a good expression but it seems so flat it looks like it needs more contrast.

CommunistCow on
  • saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm gonna go with the 4th being the best. It has the most emotion and tells more of a story than the others.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • FlyingmanFlyingman Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    needoptic: I really like the second one, he just looks so bored with what he's doing. Stuck in a routine.

I took some photos of Brisbane square again today, it's a building I will keep shooting until I get it right, often I see the same photographers there doing the same thing.

Brishall800.jpg

Brisbuild800.jpg

Flyingman on
    PAsig-1.gif
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Jives, that is a fucking fantastic shot. :^:

gilrain on
    edited December 2008
    Thanks so much everyone for the input! I had the wrong white balance for the first one, but it seems that the shot isn't so good anyway. The fourth is my favorite and I didn't even notice the horizon until needOptic pointed it out, and I think it's a good point. As for the third one, would it be a better shot if the branches were in focus too? I wanted them to frame her face and I should have taken another with the branches in focus but I didn't even think about it.

bionic on
    edited December 2008
    I took the fourth picture and added a little contrast and brightness. Does it work better?

DSC_0046_pop.jpg

bionic on
  • ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think she looks a bit too orange now :-P

Edit: Yes, far too orange. If you're using photoshop I took the original image and just added an "add adjustment layer -> Curves" and dropped the box down to Linear Curve. It's a subtle change, but helps a lot. You could put more of a curve on your background and her clothes if you wanted....but mask out her face so it doesn't look so orange. It doesn't help that her hair is blue...that makes the orange skin stand out even more.

Also, I think I would probably edit out or tone down the veins in her neck/jaw. Then again it may be that blue/orange thing that's making them seem so prominent, I didn't notice them so much in the first picture.

Thylacine on
This discussion has been closed.