As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PSP Castlevania At Last!

• Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Welp, since I have a PSP, guess I should get this.

Gorilla Salad on
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Rolo wrote:
    Meiz wrote:
    Kyougu wrote:
    Man, if Sony just lowered the price of the PSP a bit, it could really start getting some of the momentum it lost with the quality games that been coming out/announced lately.

I don't honestly think a price cut is going to save this thing with so many mediocre titles.

The PSP has a pretty strong library of titles right now. I honestly have more games on it to play than I have time to play them, and I still haven't picked up Killzone: Liberation, Metal Slug, MGS: Portable OPs or tried any of the PSone ports.

With FF tactics and Castlevania coming shortly, there's a lot of gaming to be done.

I didn't pick those up. Maybe I should give mine another chance.

Meiz on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    This is so fucking awesome. I'm not a fan of the look of the "upgrade" but who the fuck cares? Symphony of the Night and Rondo of Blood together.

Portable.

Elendil on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Elendil wrote:
    This is so fucking awesome. I'm not a fan of the look of the "upgrade" but who the fuck cares? Symphony of the Night and Rondo of Blood together.

Portable.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Man, with this, it almost seem like the PSP was an investment of sorts...

One that took it's sweet ass time maturing, but damned if it didn't.

So... this year right?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The remake looks pretty crappy.

But it has the original versions of both Rondo of Blood and SotN, so that's cool.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Damnit.

I don't want a PSP.

But I want this.

GRR.

Marty81 on
  • BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    is the psp still $200?

if i get one, itd probably be just for the side scrollers:
    castlevania
    ghouls n ghosts
    mega mans
    loco roco

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • RaggieRaggie Schattenjäger Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Is this one of those games that are really short and really, really difficult?

I dunno. I love the new Castlevanias, but this one just look so... bland, somehow. And the music and sound effects are seriously annoying to me.

Raggie on
    ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • BlackDog85BlackDog85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Raggie wrote:

I dunno. I love the new Castlevanias, but this one just look so... bland, somehow. And the music and sound effects are seriously annoying to me.

Dude, Rondo is arguably the best CV ever made, at the very least in the top 5. The facelift version seems a bit meh, but if you have a PSP, you owe it to yourself (and those of us without a PSP) to play the original version.

Honestly, to me, the newer CV's feel a lot more lifeless. The enemies often have some cool designs, but most don't feel all that inspired anymore, plus the castle itself isn't the entity that it used to be in a lot of the classic games (up to about Symphony, even a little bit in the 64 games). A lot of the newer ones just give me a vibe like "Let's slap some Symphony-style character sketches on it, alter the layout, and draw up a few new monsters."

Not that they're bad games by any stretch, but I have to approach them with a very different mindset than I approach Castlevania IV.

BlackDog85 on
    KeithBeKnives.png
    Wii Code: 5700 4466 3616 6981 (PM if y'all add me)
  • RoriProfessorRoriProfessor Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm hoping one of the things done in the remake is make the game harder, or add a hard mode option, because one of the problems with Rondo is that its pretty easy.

They'll likely going to dub this game since the old Rondo game had animated cutscenes. And this may sound silly, but I hope they'll hire the same guy who did Richter in SOTN back to do voices in Rondo. Not just for continuity, but because that guy is so hilarious!

[spoiler:f1386272fa]DIE MONSTER[/spoiler:f1386272fa]

RoriProfessor on
  • BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    TxdoHawk wrote:
    Man, this is awesome and all, but where is the home console love? I'd be happy with even a PS2 port of this, but come on Konami. As someone lamented in a random comment thread on a news post for this, I want a nice 2d Castlevania on my big TV. Portable games rule, but consoles need the 2d goodness too. I don't want to sit hunched over staring at a tiny screen all the time.

By the way, Rondo of Blood makes CV fans spooge for a reason. Even if you prefer the Metroid-vania style, you owe it to yourself to check this out, if only because this is where a lot of the ideas for SotN started brewing.

Also, it rocks.

That new graphical facelift though? Not so much.

SotN is coming to xbox live arcade for the 360 sometime soon.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Wow. If it wasn't so damn expensive, I would buy a PSP for this game. I am a sucker for a remake, though, so this system is looking mighty tempting. Maybe if they release a redesign or something.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I would have rather seen just the original by itself released on either the Virtual Console or as an XBLA title. The 3D remake actually looks kinda lame. Plus, I actually own a Wii. And though I lack a 360, unlike the PSP, its actually worth owning.

Dirty on
  • LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    My most anticipated game of 2007 right here, folks.

And the fact that it's "2.5D" gives me a raging boner - if they pull this off, just imagine them doing an original Castlevania on a next gen console. THIS is what 3D Castlevania should be.

All that said, I do look forward to the 2D port moreso than the remake - I've never experienced Rondo first-hand and good God I've wanted to for so long.

This has be so fucking stoked right now. I wanna bust out my whip and just start hitting shit around the office!

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    First off:
    titmouse wrote:
    JJ wrote:
    fan games are shit.
    The King's Quest fan remake is awesome.

What?! Where?!

And secondly...goddamit I never wanted to buy a PSP

Megaman Powered Up
    Megaman Maverick Hunter X
    Silent Hill 0rigins
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    and now Castlevania

Fuck dammit, now I gotta buy one....

Reigner on
    Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm getting really sick of this "It should really be on the Wii instead" response to every good game announcement. We all want all of the good games on the system we own, but it really shouldn't be news that that's not the case. The PSP is getting another really good game:it it that hard to hear the news without mocking it?

Edit: Not a response to the post above mine, of course.

Darlan on
  • crash5scrash5s Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Raggie wrote:

Rondo is far easier then the nes/snes/gambeboy/sega genesis games. It's fairly easy to beat (even if you take the harder routes) and once you get Maria it's fairly simple to run through it.

However it's still a lot harder then the metroidovania style games where unless you run through the game buck naked it's next to impossible to die.

Rondo is far from bland. A lot of the sprites used in the later games are ripped straight from rondo. And Rondo's sound track is second only to SoTN. The animated cut-scenes are poorly done but extremely funny. And for being a level based crawler it offers an amazing amount of options in where you go, and there are a shit load of secrets.
    Wow. If it wasn't so damn expensive,

Look at it this way, the actual Rondo will run you 150-200 bucks, toss in the price of a PC-Engine and shipping. And it's worth the money.

There is a reason this game is thought of as the best of the franchise and has such a rabid following.

crash5s on
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Any time there is an exclusive on any system, someone who doesn't own that system is going to say they wish it was on the system they did own. The fewer people who own the system the game is exclusive to, the more posts like that you'll see.

And around here, it seems like no systems are owned by fewer forumers than the PS3 and the PSP.

Dirty on
  • antifoodantifood Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Dirty wrote:
    Any time there is an exclusive on any system, someone who doesn't own that system is going to say they wish it was on the system they did own. The fewer people who own the system the game is exclusive to, the more posts like that you'll see.

And around here, it seems like no systems are owned by fewer forumers than the PS3 and the PSP.

My TV is bigger than the psp screen.

antifood on
  • JPS3JPS3 regular
    edited February 2007
    Darlan wrote:
    I'm getting really sick of this "It should really be on the Wii instead" response to every good game announcement. We all want all of the good games on the system we own, but it really shouldn't be news that that's not the case. The PSP is getting another really good game:it it that hard to hear the news without mocking it?

I find it funny that everyone on these boards complains about the PSP having no good games... then they promptly complain when the PSP gets a good game, whining that it should be on another system.

JPS3 on
    On the subject of the Zero Punctuation Bioshock Review:
    Gyral wrote: »
    Renzo wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    I didn't much care for the Bioshock review. It didn't deliver on the funnies like the previous reviews, but it wasn't bad.

The ending was very weak, though. Usually his videos have good endings.

Did you just review a review?

I found reVerse's review to be too short and a little light on content and quality. Still, his punctuation and sentence structure was better than most.
    Amazon Wishlist
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    antifood wrote:
    Dirty wrote:

I know you're right Dirty, and I'm sorry for lashing out, but can you imagine if some people went into other threads about Wii based games and said "Now only if it were worth buying!" It's irritating. And antifood: my cat's breath smells like catfood. We should start a club.

Darlan on
    edited February 2007
    Darlan wrote:
    antifood wrote:
    Dirty wrote:

I know you're right Dirty, and I'm sorry for lashing out, but can you imagine if some people went into other threads about Wii based games and said "Now only if it were worth buying!" It's irritating. And antifood: my cat's breath smells like catfood. We should start a club.

That's cool, can I play Rondo on your cat? If not, stop being a dick. I have a PSP, but I really want to play this on something larger than my hand. Thanks.

antifood on
  • JPS3JPS3 regular
    edited February 2007
    antifood wrote:
    Darlan wrote:
    antifood wrote:
    Dirty wrote:

That's cool, can I play Rondo on your cat? If not, stop being a dick. I have a PSP, but I really want to play this on something larger than my hand. Thanks.

opinion opinion lol

I personally don't like playing sidescrollers and such at home anymore. They're too simple and I have too many other games to play on the big screen. I always preferred playing games like this on a portable... That's one of the reasons I own all the GBA versions of the Mario games and will not be buying them on the Virtual Console.

Again, oppinions, but that's just how I feel about it. I know I'm not the only one.

JPS3 on
    I didn't much care for the Bioshock review. It didn't deliver on the funnies like the previous reviews, but it wasn't bad.

I found reVerse's review to be too short and a little light on content and quality. Still, his punctuation and sentence structure was better than most.
    Amazon Wishlist
    edited February 2007
    JPS3 wrote:
    antifood wrote:
    Darlan wrote:
    antifood wrote:
    Dirty wrote:

opinion opinion lol

I personally don't like playing sidescrollers and such at home anymore. They're too simple and I have too many other games to play on the big screen. I always preferred playing games like this on a portable... That's one of the reasons I own all the GBA versions of the Mario games and will not be buying them on the Virtual Console.

Again, oppinions, but that's just how I feel about it. I know I'm not the only one.

I would love to have an option to play it on the go or at home. Unless sourced, I am pretty sure everything on this forum is an opinion of some sort.

antifood on
    edited February 2007
    antifood wrote:
    Dirty wrote:

Nothing is stopping you from buying the actual rondo on PC-Engine though.

It would be cool if they did release this on VC, but it would be a waste as well. Rondo will sell like hotcakes not matter where they push it. It makes more sense for them to release it in an expensive full game then a cheap download.

Because unlike the other CV's not everybody has this one.

crash5s on
    edited February 2007
    crash5s wrote:
    antifood wrote:
    Dirty wrote:

It would be cool if they did release this on VC, but it would be a waste as well. Rondo will sell like hotcakes not matter where they push it. It makes more sense for them to release it in an expensive full game then a cheap download.

Nothing stopping me at all, except for how anal I am these days about wired controllers. The older I am the more I lose my youthful love for gaming; but playing retro games is an attempt at chasing those memories. I guess my head is just not right.

antifood on
    edited February 2007
    I would much rather play this at home. I wish the DS versions could be played on my TV, too. Of course, there'd be no way I would have got 100% in Portrait of Ruin if I didn't have it on my person for most of my Christmas holiday.

EDIT: I should add there is no way I'm going to buy a PC Engine Duo or whatever. No game is worth more than 100 dollars to me.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega

• DuckterPepperDuckterPepper Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    hell, the pirates! port is woth buying a PSP, so yeah, you should finally get some psp love you guys - it will shorten the waiting time for this Castlevania. i hope we'll see more sid meier games on psp soon. civ iv portable anyone?

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
    edited February 2007
    antifood wrote:
    crash5s wrote:
    antifood wrote:
    Dirty wrote:

Nothing stopping me at all, except for how anal I am these days about wired controllers. The older I am the more I lose my youthful love for gaming; but playing retro games is an attempt at chasing those memories. I guess my head is just not right.

I kinda understand where you are coming from. The older I get the more I buy up old games for collections I never completed. I pretty much sat the ps2/xbox/gamecube generation out.

The only "modern" games I buy now are arcade fighters and shumps. Which can be played in small bursts.

I don't understand the hate for wired controlers though, I can't stand wireless.

crash5s on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Darlan wrote:

Yeah, I've noticed this a lot, too; the PSP in particular gets shit on, but I've been increasingly interested in it as someone who spends a lot more time gaming while on the go than at home nowadays.

Anyway, this is holy-shit-tastic! I was literally just playing Dawn of Sorrow on my way into work this morning -- playing as Alucard in Julius mode -- and thinking to myself, "Dawn is a great game ... but it's no Symphony of the Night." And here comes a portable Symphony! And it's attached to a Castlevania game I've never played but has always gotten huge underground buzz!
    is the psp still $200?

if i get one, itd probably be just for the side scrollers:
    castlevania
    ghouls n ghosts
    mega mans
    loco roco
    Don't forget the Gradius collection, too! I've also seen a homebrew port of rRootage that made me weep on the inside at how glorious it was. In vertical mode, too!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    This game and the remake of Final Fantasy Tactics are seriously making me want to get a new psp.

I just wish there was a place to buy just the unit itself (no charger or anything)

And yes the Gradius Collection is awesome it's practically the reason i haven't sold my PSP stuff.

BigJoeM on
  • GinoGino Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    it pisses me off that IGA releases all his 2D CV games on Nintendo handhelds leading his fanbase to beleave that it is the system for CV but then they put this on the PSP.

I would love to play this game but 15 hours of gameplay is not enough to justify the purchase of a 200 dollar port machine.

Gino on
    edited February 2007
    crash5s wrote:
    antifood wrote:
    crash5s wrote:
    antifood wrote:
    Dirty wrote:

I kinda understand where you are coming from. The older I get the more I buy up old games for collections I never completed. I pretty much sat the ps2/xbox/gamecube generation out.

The only "modern" games I buy now are arcade fighters and shumps. Which can be played in small bursts.

I don't understand the hate for wired controlers though, I can't stand wireless.

The wire/wireless issue is due to my furninture. I have a really nice enclosed entertainment center. Here is the link if you're interested: http://www.bdiusa.com/avfurniture/avion_8529.shtml

antifood on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It is a little odd that this is coming to the PSP after Castlevania has become fairly strongly affiliated with the Game Boy/DS, but ah well.

The new version doesn't look all that great, but having both Drac X and SOTN on one disk is damn spiffy.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    They should hide a port of Castlevania 3 on there too just to get both of Alucard's titles in there too.

Aoi on
    edited February 2007
    Aoi wrote:
    They should hide a port of Castlevania 3 on there too just to get both of Alucard's titles in there too.

Best Castlevania ever, according to my nostalgia-tinted view.

Haven't played it since the SNES came out, though.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega

• AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Aoi wrote:

Best Castlevania ever, according to my nostalgia-tinted view.

Haven't played it since the SNES came out, though.

And you have my complete backing to that particular opinion. To this day I've never replayed a Castlevania as much as I replayed 3.

Aoi on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm totally going to end up with the Xbox Live SotN, too.

Because I am a whore.

Elendil on
  • JPS3JPS3 regular
    edited February 2007
    Elendil wrote:
    I'm totally going to end up with the Xbox Live SotN, too.

Because I am a whore.

JPS3 on

Amazon Wishlist