As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Movie Release Awareness - December '08 (Ex-Presidents, Aliens, and Wrestlers)

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    Speaking of The Dark Knight, a lack of a commentary track is frustrating. The focus shots were really cool, though.

I gotta watch them.

honestly after BB I wasn't surprised there was no track but it does blow me away that it seems like the biggest movies are the ones that don't get commentary tracks.

I think Nolan must not like doing them, as there wasn't one for the Prestige either, which sucks since he's one of the director's I'd want to hear most from right now.
    Nolan isn't a fan of special features at all.

He thinks they detract from the movie experience.

Which is no fun.

Funny, Memento's LE was buried in special features.

I think it also had a commentary.

Sure, it was hidden behind layers of craziness, but it was there.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    memento did have a commentary. oddly, I am certain I watched it but I can't remember it at all.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I saw the Punisher last night. I thought it was great. Well, I guess that may not be saying much considering what we have to compare it to. I thought the actors all really well in their roles. I almost want to say that the action seemed kind of generic, but I think that might be due to the fact that the movie pretty much doesn't go for 3 minutes without some kind of fight (excluding the beginning scenes).

I think so far this is the best Punisher movie made. It stayed a lot closer to the source than any of the others. The best part is that they go back and change his origin to the comic book origin, but they don't waste time explaining it.

Also, as far as the character goes? The best part about this movie is that you're not guessing who the Punisher is going to kill, but rather how he will kill them.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Variable wrote: »
    Speaking of The Dark Knight, a lack of a commentary track is frustrating. The focus shots were really cool, though.

I gotta watch them.

honestly after BB I wasn't surprised there was no track but it does blow me away that it seems like the biggest movies are the ones that don't get commentary tracks.

I think Nolan must not like doing them, as there wasn't one for the Prestige either, which sucks since he's one of the director's I'd want to hear most from right now.
    Nolan isn't a fan of special features at all.

He thinks they detract from the movie experience.

Which is no fun.

Ugh, I hate it when directors are like that. This is the DVD age, you neantherdal! Having no special features detracts from the DVD experience!

reVerse on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I hate, hate, hate when movies don't have commentaries. I especially dislike it when people use the whole "it ruins the movie" line.

Saw Frost/Nixon yesterday, and it is a really great movie. It's funny, because I was expecting it was going to be shown in one of our two 'indy' theaters(Angelika or Magnolia for those in Dallas), but instead it's playing in the AMC movie theater in Northpark, which is basically one of our high class malls. I think me and my gf were the only people under 50 for the showing we went to.

But still, really captivating movie with great performances. Langella is sure to be a lock for a nomination, but the questions is, do you give him a supporting or lead one?

noir_blood on
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    5 star OP!

I'm looking forward to Valkyrie because Bryan Singer fuck yeah! For DVD check out Traitor, it's very good.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I liked Frost/Nixon the movie better than the play

Fencingsax on
  • WerdnaWerdna Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Honk wrote: »
    5 star OP!

I'm looking forward to Valkyrie because Bryan Singer fuck yeah! For DVD check out Traitor, it's very good.

I can't think of a Bryan Singer movie that was anymore entertaining than his hit The Usual Suspects. I sort of link him to the likes of Christopher Nolan -- who has made a few good movies. They both seem good utilizing non-linear narratives which just relates to interesting genre-screen writing. Mcquarrie wrote "Suspects". At least Nolan wrote and his brother wrote his better. Singer hasn't done anything but pack teenie-bops in theater seats since his only real credible film.

Werdna on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Werdna wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    5 star OP!

I can't think of a Bryan Singer movie that was anymore entertaining than his hit The Usual Suspects. I sort of link him to the likes of Christopher Nolan -- who has made a few good movies. They both seem good utilizing non-linear narratives which just relates to interesting genre-screen writing. Mcquarrie wrote "Suspects". At least Nolan wrote and his brother wrote his better. Singer hasn't done anything but pack teenie-bops in theater seats since his only real credible film.

I associated them a few years ago when I first heard of them but in the last 5 years I think they've shown decidedly that they are of a different caliber.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hrm.

I just heard that The Brothers Bloom was just pushed back to January.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hrm.

I just heard that The Brothers Bloom was just pushed back to January.

Probably has to do with the shooting of his brother. I'm dissapointed. And man, we don't get the Wrestler here till like Jan 9th.

noir_blood on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm excited by the Oldboy news and 30 Days of Night news. :^:

urahonky on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Have you read the Old Boy manga? How is it?

Robos A Go Go on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    urahonky wrote: »

What news are you talking about?

30 Days of Night sequel (I'm easy to please, and really liked this movie) and Will Smith playing the part in Oldboy. Though that's probably not new news to you guys, but it is to me. I'm a huge Will Smith fan.

Or wait, is it cool to hate on Will Smith? I'm not sure anymore.

e @ your ninja edit: It's amazing. You can probably pick it up on the cheap nowadays.

urahonky on
  • UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've been looking forward to this month for quite a while. Frost/Nixon (my tentative pick for best overall), Doubt (which is going to kill a lot of the acting categories), Benjamin Button, and the Wrestler I can't wait to see. After a few months of nothing worth seeing in the theaters I'm going to be there every week. I'm excited.

UnknownSaint on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Saw this trailer in front of The Day the Earth Stood Still

How did I not know that there was a new movie in the "Liam Neeson: Ultimate Badass" genre coming out?

I enjoyed the movie, too. Keanu actually came off as kind of interesting and I'm always fascinated with the Grey Goo scenario whenever I see it play out on film. Unsettling in a couple of ways, laughable in others, but an interesting take on the original story.

Taramoor on
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I saw Waltz with Bashir last night, it's really good. The pacing's a little odd as it's got this kinda half documentary half war/action film going on, but the visuals are stunning and it's a good story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLkwfsFzrJw

Rook on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Taramoor wrote: »

How did I not know that there was a new movie in the "Liam Neeson: Ultimate Badass" genre coming out?

I enjoyed the movie, too. Keanu actually came off as kind of interesting and I'm always fascinated with the Grey Goo scenario whenever I see it play out on film. Unsettling in a couple of ways, laughable in others, but an interesting take on the original story.

Sweet, a movie that actually looks good! Other than a few highlights (W and Frost/Nixon) the last bit of this year has been truely dire in terms of movies, I haven't been to the cinema in months, and I usually go most weeks.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I would like to subscribe to that movies newsletter.

Jan 30? I'm surprised this is the first I've heard of it

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Rook wrote: »
    I saw Waltz with Bashir last night, it's really good. The pacing's a little odd as it's got this kinda half documentary half war/action film going on, but the visuals are stunning and it's a good story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLkwfsFzrJw

The stills look amazing but in motion the flash animation looks pretty blah. I still plan on seeing it when it gets here though.

tofu on
    edited December 2008
    Defamer wrote:
    The sad story of Delgo — eight years in the making, all-star (sort of) voice cast, $237 per-theater average — ended Thursday as the film shuffled into post-theatrical oblivion.

That's probably another record of some sort for a wide release's quickest disappearance from the multiplex, where Delgo in fact plunged to a truly stunning $19 per-screen average (yes, nineteen) on Monday, inching back up to $21 per screen by Wednesday. Today, our search for show times anywhere in the United States was futile, and distributor-for-hire Freestyle Releasing has wiped it clean from its Web site. Nevertheless, Delgo posters are still in stock at Amazon, should your living room be wanting for just the right souvenir of history-making box-office failure.
    Wow.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    I saw Timecrimes last week and it was pretty incredible. I've heard rumor of an american remake, and while normally uneasy about such things, it is said to be headed by David Cronenberg. If anyone can make an american version of this film work, he's definitely a good candidate.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Defamer wrote:
    The sad story of Delgo — eight years in the making, all-star (sort of) voice cast, $237 per-theater average — ended Thursday as the film shuffled into post-theatrical oblivion.

That's probably another record of some sort for a wide release's quickest disappearance from the multiplex, where Delgo in fact plunged to a truly stunning $19 per-screen average (yes, nineteen) on Monday, inching back up to $21 per screen by Wednesday. Today, our search for show times anywhere in the United States was futile, and distributor-for-hire Freestyle Releasing has wiped it clean from its Web site. Nevertheless, Delgo posters are still in stock at Amazon, should your living room be wanting for just the right souvenir of history-making box-office failure.
    Wow.
    Budget $40,000,000
    Gross revenue $694,782
    :lol:

Couscous on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Was the movie truly that bad?

Fencingsax on
    edited December 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Nobody saw it, so we may never know.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

We should ask one of the three people that saw it.

Mr Pink on
    edited December 2008
    Mr Pink wrote: »

We should ask one of the three people that saw it.

Freddie Prinze Jr.'s mom thought it was "very creative".

Robos A Go Go on
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Soo I've been wanting to see "Seven Pounds" but everyone seems to have hated it..was it really that bad? I mean it looked pretty dang interesting, anyone here who can vouch for it?

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
    edited December 2008
    Soo I've been wanting to see "Seven Pounds" but everyone seems to have hated it..was it really that bad? I mean it looked pretty dang interesting, anyone here who can vouch for it?
    Having read the full synopsis I would advise against seeing it for the plot.

If you want to see some good acting all around, you'll be happy, but if you come in expecting a great story, I would leave it alone.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    old boy remake? ick

Doubt is getting really great reviews it seems and I'm a big Philip Seymour Hoffman fan. hmmm

nexuscrawler on
    edited December 2008
    It does seem good, but I don't want to have nightmares about being molested by Phillip Seymour Hoffman either.

Robos A Go Go on
  • geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Slumdog Millionaire is one of the most perfect movies I've seen in a very long time.

Beautiful, and awesome. Go see it.

geckahn on
  • ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    geckahn wrote: »
    Slumdog Millionaire is one of the most perfect movies I've seen in a very long time.

Beautiful, and awesome. Go see it.

Seriously.

Shamus on
  • BobTrokeyBobTrokey Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I saw Milk last night, it was pretty great. there was about 7 people in the theater, but I guess it's been out for a few weeks now.

i'm always skeptical about remakes, but if they can do a good job with oldoy i wouldnt mind seeing it. its not like it takes away the original.

I just finished reading Blood Meridian so I'm wondering about that project. from what i can tell it is not certain if it will be made or not.

BobTrokey on
    edited December 2008
    MTV wrote:
    Sure, we all had a good laugh at the expense of the U.K.-based tabloid The Sun after they announced that Eddie Murphy and Shia LaBeouf would portray The Riddler and Robin, respectively, in “Gotham” (what The Sun claimed to be the title of the follow-up to this summer’s “The Dark Knight”). After all — as we’ve made perfectly clear — Warner Bros., director Christopher Nolan and various high-level execs attached to the franchise have all gone on record saying that there’s been absolutely no movement on the film, let alone a script or preliminary casting.

However, the source of the speculation — Sun reporter Gordon Smart — has come forward in the face of the fanboy firing squad to defend his reporting, saying that he stands by his story based on “a reliable contact” close to the film. And while it’s still safe to shrug and smirk this rumor off, it might be worth noting that Smart claims that the same anonymous source who kick-started the recent “Batman 3” casting rumors was responsible for another rumor back in 2005 that proved true in a big way: the casting of Daniel Craig as the new (at the time) James Bond.

In a recent post on The Guardian’s Film Blog — in reference to the “Craig as Bond” rumor that came true — Smart is quoted as saying, “Everyone had a crack at us when we published that one. I was almost laughed out of conference that day, but it turned out to be spot on. I wish I had had a bet on it.”

The Guardian follows that up with a report that, off the record, Smart revealed his unnamed source, and points out that — if credible — it appears to be very reliable.
    I didn't post the story on the "lol Eddie Murphy as the Riddler" rumor because it was kind of retarded on it's own, but it's a little strange that a previously reliable source was the one that dropped the news makes it interesting.

Cue fanboy rage.

On a separate note, the Fast & Furious poster is pretty good:

7956121908_fastandfurious.jpg

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    By good I guess you mean a terrible photoshop.

tofu on
    edited December 2008
    I like Michelle Rodriguez because she seems like the surliest woman in Hollywood.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited December 2008
    I like Michelle Rodriguez because she seems like the surliest woman in Hollywood.
    I do believe she could kick my ass in a barfight.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited December 2008
    I do believe she could kick my ass in a barfight.

Then she'd make out with your girlfriend.

Robos A Go Go on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    PantsB wrote: »

I would like to subscribe to that movies newsletter.

Jan 30? I'm surprised this is the first I've heard of it
    Honestly what more could anyone ever want in a movie beyond Liam Neeson kicking the shit out of everyone and being bad ass?

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!