As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Netflix Instant View, 360 and You

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I can't wait till they have more good movies to stream.

Goose! on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Which is first, nightwatch or daywatch?

Night Watch is first.

And just incase the above talk about the 3rd movie falling through worries you, it's fine. I guess the director saw the whole thing coming, and wraps it up very nicely. The movie is based on a book trilogy, and my brother has read them and says the MOVIE "Day Watch" actually ends about a quarter of the way through the book. The director chose to end the film at the resolution to a problem, and a very very satisfying conclusion, instead of including the rest of the book, which sets up the next conflict. And if you're curious what WOULD happen next, the books are great.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Missing a LeggMissing a Legg Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dave Chappelle: For What It's Worth
    Dave Chappelle stand up

Assault on Precinct 13
    The lone inhabitants of an abandoned police station are under attack by the overwhelming numbers of a seemingly unstoppable street gang

Masters of Horror: Cigarette Burns
    Hired by a millionaire collector (Udo Kier) to retrieve the infamous Le Fin du Monde -- a violent movie that reportedly causes viewers to turn into homicidal maniacs after they watch it

Malcolm X
    The biopic of the controversial and influential Black Nationalist leader.

Teeth
    Still a stranger to her own body, a high school student discovers she has a physical advantage when she becomes the object of male violence

Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
    In this action-packed adventure, the sleeker, more dangerous and seemingly immortal Clown Prince of Crime is back to terrorize Gotham, Batman and the aging Bruce Wayne

A good mix of movies I've really enjoyed on instant view

Missing a Legg on
    GT:Missing a legg
    PSN:Missing_a_legg
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    [QUOTE=Missing a Legg;8226357Teeth
    Still a stranger to her own body, a high school student discovers she has a physical advantage when she becomes the object of male violence

[A good mix of movies I've really enjoyed on instant view[/QUOTE]

NEVER noticed TEETH was Instant. I never saw it but that movie honestly makes me squirm just HEARING about it...dont know if I have the guts to check it out...

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Goose! wrote: »
    when Harry Met Sally is on there. Anyone who does not see this movie is not alright in my book.

Also has the first 2 evening with kevin smiths, which I dig because I'm a loser sometimes

Hook is another treasure of mine.

Plenty of other stuff, too.

Wait...first 2? You mean there's a third? Where can I get this?!

Seriously, anyone who is a fan of Kevin Smith's brand of humor, stand up comedy(ish), or just beautifully told stories about cocks and zippers, needs to check these out. I may actually get this service just so I can see these again. What is the monthly?

Dourin on
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Actually, even people who HATE Smith's movies seem to love An Evening With... Guy's a great natural storyteller.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
    edited December 2008
    Teeth sounds a lot worse then it is. There are really only two parts you actually see any gore. But some times your imagination is worse D:

Missing a Legg on
  • SilasSilas Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Someone needs to say The King of Kong again.

Silas on
    Ancient+J.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This is an interesting thread, because I just re-signed up for Netflix to try the Instant Queue.

I found it... extremely lacking in titles, to say the least. After going through the entire comedy section, I found five titles I actually wanted to watch, and a couple of them were a stretch.

And now you guys are linking all these awesome movies.

I... I don't know what to think. :P

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That one time in 50,000,000, you can be wrong?

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
    edited December 2008
    Feral wrote: »
    This is an interesting thread, because I just re-signed up for Netflix to try the Instant Queue.

I found it... extremely lacking in titles, to say the least. After going through the entire comedy section, I found five titles I actually wanted to watch, and a couple of them were a stretch.

If you already have Netflix and Xbox Live then its great. Yes there are some great movies on instant view, but you gotta look for them. If you are going to invest in Netflix I would recommend dropping the 2 extra dollars to get the physical disc queue also.

Missing a Legg on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Maybe their comedy section just sucks.

They did have a bunch of Todd Solonz movies, though, so maybe I'll finally get to see Welcome to the Dollhouse.

I'm also looking forward to Scratch and Better Living Through Circuitry.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Silas wrote: »
    Someone needs to say The King of Kong again.

That was way more interesting than it had any right to be.

zilo on
  • scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Memories of Murder: my favorite Korean flick. based on a true story of Korea's first serial killer.

The Host: Korea's cloverfield. inspired by true event where U.S. dumped chemicals into Korea's very important river.

Jesus Camp: probably the scariest horror movie on netflix

Gone baby gone: surprisingly good movie.. blew my mind when I heard who the director was.

Nanking: the story of 8 foreigners standing up to Japanese army to save helpless Chinese citizens of Nanking. it was moving.

I'm glad to hear Ice Pirates is on instant play, it's been soooo long since I've seen this.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • WembleyWembley Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    mxmarks wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Which is first, nightwatch or daywatch?

Night Watch is first.

And just incase the above talk about the 3rd movie falling through worries you, it's fine. I guess the director saw the whole thing coming, and wraps it up very nicely. The movie is based on a book trilogy, and my brother has read them and says the MOVIE "Day Watch" actually ends about a quarter of the way through the book. The director chose to end the film at the resolution to a problem, and a very very satisfying conclusion, instead of including the rest of the book, which sets up the next conflict. And if you're curious what WOULD happen next, the books are great.

It's actually a series of 4 books. The fourth book (The Last Watch) hasn't been released yet, as far as I know. I think early next year is when it's supposed to be released. Barnes and Noble has this to say on the matter: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Last-Watch/Sergei-Lukyanenko/e/9781401309275/?itm=2

More on topic, the first season of MacGyver is available to stream.

Wembley on
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Pootie Tang. Seriously.

jackal on
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    OremLK wrote: »
    Fawst wrote: »
    OremLK wrote: »
    redhalo wrote: »
    Fawst wrote: »
    9) The Fountain - Because it, too, must be seen.

At the risk of continuing this derailment, I don't like it as a story because it is nigh-incomprehensible as a story; you aren't given enough information to make a definitive assessment of what the fuck is going on--how everything fits together. But you're right. I do love the movie, for the things I mentioned. I think it is an aesthetic masterpiece.

I love Darren Aronofsky, but The Fountain didn't do anything for me. Great visuals, but the acting and story were not that engaging. Your time is better spent watching Pi and Requiem for a Dream.

Sadly, I think I am the only one that linked. Some interesting suggestions, though. I think my queued bumped up by 20.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Nite-ManNite-Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Is it possible to do two things at once with our gamertags?

I want to play Fallout 3 on my laptop while I watch netflix tv.

Nite-Man on
    The first significant thing living here taught me is conformity costs money, and everybody pays.
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008

Like I said earlier, the Instant Viewing service used to be completely and utterly worthless. Without any redeeming qualities what so ever. But with this improvement, I'm actually finding stuff I want to watch and that is actually good and that I've actually heard of before.

Compared to how things used to be, I'm fucking drowning in quality here. But for someone that signed up just for the Xbox compatability, I can see how it would still be extremely disappointing.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Like I said earlier, the Instant Viewing service used to be completely and utterly worthless. Without any redeeming qualities what so ever. But with this improvement, I'm actually finding stuff I want to watch and that is actually good and that I've actually heard of before.

Compared to how things used to be, I'm fucking drowning in quality here. But for someone that signed up just for the Xbox compatability, I can see how it would still be extremely disappointing.

A large part of it has to do with Netflix's deal with Starz!. In my opinion, that's when the service really took off.

freakish light on
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

A large part of it has to do with Netflix's deal with Starz!. In my opinion, that's when the service really took off.

And BBC, I've been watching a fuck ton of Red Dwarf. Good stuff.

redhalo on
  • RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I continue to Google about to no avail, so I'll ask again. Has anyone had any issues running PlayOn! and a service like TVersity at the same time?

I'm really cautious because I finally have everything file-wise streaming from the PC to both consoles (PS3/360) the way they're supposed to and I really don't want to have to tear out my eyeballs again.

As for the Instant Viewing feature I've used it for 30 Rock, The Office, and....uh....

*tumbleweeds*

Raynaga on
  • EliteBattlemanEliteBattleman Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Primer - Crazy brain-melting time travel hijinx.

Pan's Labyrinth - You know why.

Ong-Bak - Probably best martial arts movie I've seen.

Tremors - Kevin Bacon.

The Thing - Kurt Russel. Badass alien thing. Crazy paranoid dudes.

Big Trouble in Little China - Kurt Russel.

Death Proof - Kurt Russel.

Sliders - Well, why the fuck not?

Appleseed: Ex Machina - Really cool anime, awesome visuals.

30 Rock - It brings the funneh.

Transsiberian - Watched it last night and was hooked almost the entire time. Way better than it should've been.

MacGyver (season 1 only) - It's fucking MacGyver!

Sukiyaki Western Django - Japanese western with actual spoken english? How odd.

The Host - Crazy monster movie from Koreatown!

Evening With Kevin Smith 1/2 - Too much funny!

The Signal - My thoughts echo the OP.

EliteBattleman on
    This is my sig.
    There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If you're going to bring out The Thing just for Kurt Russell, better put Big Trouble in Little China on that list. And Death Proof, though that wasn't as widely adored.

freakish light on
    edited December 2008

SLIDERS?!?!

YES!

Missing a Legg on
    edited December 2008
    Primer - Crazy brain-melting time travel hijinx.

Pan's Labyrinth - You know why.

Tremors - Kevin Bacon.

The Thing - Kurt Russel. Badass alien thing. Crazy paranoid dudes.

Big Trouble in Little China - Kurt Russel.

Death Proof - Kurt Russel.

Appleseed: Ex Machina - Really cool anime, awesome visuals.

30 Rock - It brings the funneh.

Transsiberian - Watched it last night and was hooked almost the entire time. Way better than it should've been.

MacGyver (season 1 only) - It's fucking MacGyver!

Sukiyaki Western Django - Japanese western with actual spoken english? How odd.

The Host - Crazy monster movie from Koreatown!

Evening With Kevin Smith 1/2 - Too much funny!

The Signal - My thoughts echo the OP.

And Escape From New York. Maybe Escape From LA if you feel raunchy, but it wasn't nearly as good.

freakish light on
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Raynaga wrote: »
    I continue to Google about to no avail, so I'll ask again. Has anyone had any issues running PlayOn! and a service like TVersity at the same time?

I'm really cautious because I finally have everything file-wise streaming from the PC to both consoles (PS3/360) the way they're supposed to and I really don't want to have to tear out my eyeballs again.

As for the Instant Viewing feature I've used it for 30 Rock, The Office, and....uh....

*tumbleweeds*
    Why are you using TVersity and PlayOn? Do you have a bunch of .mkv files or something?

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    PlayOn is for serving youtube, hulu, and some network streams to your 360. Do you know of other programs that can do this?

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    No, I use PlayOn myself, I was just wondering why he needed TVersity. Most people I know that still use it have a lot of .mkv videos (especially for anime and HD content); there is a handly little application called XenonMKV that does the job of unpacking .mkv's for you, instead of having to re-encode (which is redundant) or transcode (which requires stuff like TVersity). You can even run it command line, so with some clever scripting it can be automated.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Holy crap, Big Trouble in Little China is on there too? When they add Die Hard I may just stop showering on weekends entirely and just sit on my couch drinking beer and watching awesome 80s movies.

zilo on
  • LukinLukin Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Nobody has mentioned Transmorphers. What the fuck is wrong with you people?

Lukin on
    cancer.jpg
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    INLAND EMPIRE: A thow everything at the wall and see what sticks effort from David Lynch, it's a dream logic film involving an actress under existential threat, a Polish prostitution ring, crack addicts, and a sitcom with people in giant rabbit suits. A little long and not as good as Mulholland Drive, it's worth a look if you're into David Lynch.

Eraserhead: David Lynch's first full length film, still completely awesome.

Lake of Fire: An incredible documentary revolving around continuing debate about abortion. This one will make you rethink your political/personal stances on the topic no matter where you currently lie.

Oh yeah...Super High Me: The Super Size Me McDonald's conceit applied to marijuana. Interesting and funny even for non-pot smokers like me.

I agree with all of these. But I could hardly get through Super High Me. I thought it was more for the smoker crowd. Every punchline lay flat and every moment that could have been interesting was ruined with the hosts inability to commit or (I felt) be really honest about what he was doing and who he was.
    It may not help that I had watched Super Size Me right before on Netflix streaming because I had not seen it since it came out.
    I also watched Bigger, Stronger, Faster which was about steroids. It was not a particularly well-focused doc but it did have some funny moments and some moments of horrifying reality. It presented a lot of interesting viewpoints and included enough weirdo steroid facts to keep me interested the entire time.

edit: I've also watched almost the entire Doctor Who: Key of Time series which is available on there. A reviewer for The Ribos Operation places the order as:
    KEY 1: The Ribos Operation
    KEY 2: The Pirate Planet
    KEY 3: The Stones of Blood
    KEY 4: The Androids of Tara
    KEY 5: The Power of Kroll
    KEY 6: The Armageddon Factor

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Jackie Chan's Police Story....and
    Jackie Chan's New Police Story (pretty much a sequel)

Goddamn they are SUCH fine movies. If you love yourself, watch these.

Desert_Eagle25 on
    edited December 2008
    And I just saw Hitchhiker's Guide is on there!

(The original BBC series.)

PatboyX on
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dourin wrote: »
    when Harry Met Sally is on there. Anyone who does not see this movie is not alright in my book.

Also has the first 2 evening with kevin smiths, which I dig because I'm a loser sometimes

Seriously, anyone who is a fan of Kevin Smith's brand of humor, stand up comedy(ish), or just beautifully told stories about cocks and zippers, needs to check these out. I may actually get this service just so I can see these again. What is the monthly?

I got to see one of these live at URI and it was amazing. He can spoke for nearly 4 hours and he had the audience's rapt attention the whole time.

Mr Obersmith on
    Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
    edited December 2008
    I enjoy his interviews more than his movies. He is on the radio all the time here and it is fantastic each time. His stories are fantastic.

PatboyX on
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • bobertoboberto Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So I know it's not all explosions, guns, and violence... but one of the best movies available on here is Life is Beautiful

I'd rather they had a subtitled version over a dub, but still good.

boberto on
    El+Boberto.png
    Wii code: 3958 1709 0590 7018
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dourin wrote: »

I got to see one of these live at URI and it was amazing. He can spoke for nearly 4 hours and he had the audience's rapt attention the whole time.

Yup, I saw him and Jason at Cornell, guy just loves to talk and people love to listen. I didn't know his third Evening was out either, just put it at the top of my DVD Queue - it's called "Sold Out: A Threevening with Kevin Smith."

KalTorak on
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Shaolin Master Killer, Wing Chun and Iron Monkey would all like to have words with you.

Actually, Ong-Bak 2 probably has something to say about that, as well!

Seriously, everyone who cares at ALL about martial arts films needs to watch that trailer.

Fawst on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    boberto wrote: »
    So I know it's not all explosions, guns, and violence... but one of the best movies available on here is Life is Beautiful

I'd rather they had a subtitled version over a dub, but still good.

If I'm recalling correctly, the original actors dubbed their own lines at the very least.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg