Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

X-Men: Origins - Singer Wants Magneto; He Wants Magneto Badly (OP updated 06/01/09)

ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morningRegistered User regular
So Fox is making a couple of prequels to the X-Men movies. Who saw that coming? Really, it's a complete surprise.
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
wpveromesgy7.jpg
Can't...move...so...beautiful...

Released May 1 2009 is X-Men Origins: Wolverine, or as some who weren't fond of the X-movie trilogy are calling it, the fourth Wolverine film. Zing!
Cast! Characters!
Announced roles, including supporting and cameos, include (spoilered for length, not spoilers...but there will be spoilers)...
Spoiler:

Plot!
Spoilers. No, seriously.
Spoiler:

Principal photography was completed May 23 2008, and took place in Australia, New Zealand, New Orleans, and Fox studios. A sequel has already been greenlit, and may be set in Japan. If a sequel is made, they intend for it to follow from this film, and not take place after X3.

There is also talk of Deadpool and Gambit getting their own spinoffs, probably as direct-to-DVD movies in my completely unfounded opinion but I wouldn't say no to a TV series or a film if they do well in this one.

The first official teaser/trailer was shown in front of The Day The Earth Stood Still when it premiered on December 12, and was by most accounts the best thing about that movie. Want a taste of sniktbub?

The Trailer, Bub

(Want a higher-quality version? Try the film's MySpace page. Yes, the Myspace page. What the balls?)

There is a second trailer.

The Second Trailer, Bub

Since this is a major motion picture featuring the most popular character of an already Large McHuge franchise, there will be a video game, produced by Activision and developed by Raven Software, the guys who did Jedi Outcast. Mark Guggenheim, currently a Marvel writer, did the story for the game.

My review? Why would you want that?
Spoiler:

This just in: Wolverine, having a budget of $150 million and taking in at least $340m worldwide, has despite being mediocre (at best...) made $190m in profits. On one hand, this means more Wolverine. On the other, this means more Wolverine. On a third, perhaps horribly mutated hand with claws, this means more Wolverine in the style of this thoroughly shitballs-stupid movie.

X-Men Origins: Magneto
magnetomckellennr5.jpg
w273.png
HEY! HEY YOU! C'MERE!

X-Men Origins: Magneto is a bit of a misnomer since Magneto isn't really a member of the team, but we'll run with it. David S. Goyer is attached to write and direct, and Sheldon Turner is writing the original screenplay. It's hoped that shooting will begin in 2009. (The plan was to shoot for a 2009 release, but the writers' strike delayed that.) Producer Lauren Shuler Donner, who worked on a little project called X-Men Origins: Wolverine, is currently pushing to get production actually started after the busy year for her and the director that was 2008. However, Goyer is saying that the plan is to wait to see how Wolverine does, and that he has another project to do first anyway, though he also says he thinks the people in charge really like the script.

Recently, Bryan Singer, who as you may recall directed the two X-films that exceeded expectations, has expressed interest in directing XMOM.

Plot!
Spoiler:

The fabulous Sir Ian McKellen wants to be in the film, but conflicting information is available as to whether they'll continue with the digital facelift used at the beginning of X3 or cast new actors and have him reflecting on the events of the film in flashback. The most recent information indicates they'll be using younger actors--"in their twenties", according to Wikipedia, and Wikipedia is never wrong--though McKellen still hopes to bookend the film.

Characters!
Spoiler:

X-Men: First Class
firstclassow0.jpg
You mean I'm gonna turn blue and stay that color?

X-Men: First Class doesn't really fall under the purview of the X-Men Origins films. However, it seems to be intended as a prequel to the three core X-Men movies, so it fits with the theme. Zak Penn, set to direct, says he has an idea which is based on the comic book story X-Men: First Class, yet somehow is not a "young X-Men" story we'd expect. Josh Schwartz--yes, that Josh Schwartz--has been tapped as a writer. He accepted because "I love its mythology, and it comes with a pretty hefty paycheck..." As for what we can expect, "It's not like I'm adding new characters like Toaster Head, or anything like that." A shame. They're shooting for a 2010 release, according to IMDB. Information as it develops--the movie is apparently still in pre-pre-production--but presumably Wolverine won't be in it. Though you can never tell, because Wolverine is apparently the secret identity of fifty-some Skrulls. Lauren Shuler Donner, who as already mentioned worked on Wolverine and is working on Magneto, is attached to produce along with Simon Kinberg.

Plot!
Spoiler:

Characters! Cast!
Spoiler:

Shadowen on

• hesthefastesthesthefastest Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Juno beach would be the shit.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This is a relatively exciting post. I bet a Deadpool TV series would pull in awesome numbers.

steam_sig.png
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Oathbreaker KingslayerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Spoiler:

Fuck yes, I now have my fave marvel character in movie form. It seems like they could pull it off.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    A potential deadpool spinoff? Best news in the whole post

camo_sig2.png
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Someone said in another thread that Beak was out.

That version makes me happier so I'll assume it's true.

• CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Slightly off-topic, but has anyone seen the new animated series? Wolverine and the X-Men. It's actually supposed to be really good, and as far as I can tell doesn't try to establish a new continuity like X-Men Evolution did.

All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It is really good, and it does establish a new continuity though not quite as different as Evolution.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo When life gives you lemons... ...eat your delicious lemonsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Has there been any recent news about these Origin films? I have a feeling the wheels could have fallen off these carts after Xmen 3 was terrible.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • David_TDavid_T Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Shadowen wrote: »
    (please note this is my first attempt at a really big thread with pictures and stuff so if the imageshack thing craps out I'm sorry I didn't know)

So Marvel Studios is making a couple of prequels to the X-Men movies. Who saw that coming? Really, it's a complete surprise.
    It's a pretty big surprise, considering Marvel don't have the movie rights to the X-Men. It's 20th Century Fox that's making 'em.

The leaked Comic-Con trailer for the Wolverine one looked surprisingly OK.

steam_sig.png
    occasionallywearsahat.com, my rambly ramblings of ramble
  • BogartBogart Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The trailer went some way to selling me on Liev Schrieber as Sabretooth, when I'd previously been utterly unable to picture him as anything other than a slightly chubby nice guy. Also, Jackman is about as good as Logan as I could have hoped for. I'll probably be seeing this on the day of release.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Has there been any recent news about these Origin films? I have a feeling the wheels could have fallen off these carts after Xmen 3 was terrible.

In fact, all this information is the most recent I've seen, and it's been updated within the past couple of months.

• TheMarshalTheMarshal Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Bogart wrote: »
    The trailer went some way to selling me on Liev Schrieber as Sabretooth, when I'd previously been utterly unable to picture him as anything other than a slightly chubby nice guy. Also, Jackman is about as good as Logan as I could have hoped for. I'll probably be seeing this on the day of release.

Where is there a trailer?

edited November 2008
    TheMarshal wrote: »

Where is there a trailer?

It was shown at San Diego Comic Con, of course. And Hugh Jackman made a surprise appearance at the con to talk it up. He also showed real appreciation for Len Wein, who created the character. Classy dude. Here's a description. More description, with screenshots, here. There are spoilers.

EDIT: I'm no longer looking for the preview footage because Fox has been exercising copyright to get people to take it down.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2008
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »
    Spoiler:

Fuck yes, I now have my fave marvel character in movie form. It seems like they could pull it off.

He will be the best part of that movie.

He is the best part of every movie he's in.

Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

I make tweet.
  • BogartBogart Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Spoiler:

Looking at some of the movies he's been in that's not saying much.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Spoiler:

Looking at some of the movies he's been in that's not saying much.

But it's still true.

Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

I make tweet.
  • Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User
    edited November 2008
    He was not the best part of Smokin Aces. Which was a mediocre movie.

I like Ryan Reynolds, though. Deadpool is perfect for him, maybe even better than The Flash.

No way Magneto gets made. Even if Wolverine is a success, and I think it will be.

• muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Isnt Deapools involvement in the movie pretty minimal?

I wish Glenn Danzig would play wolverine in the movies instead of Jackman. It would have been awesomely hillarious.

edited November 2008
    He was not the best part of Smokin Aces. Which was a mediocre movie.

I like Ryan Reynolds, though. Deadpool is perfect for him, maybe even better than The Flash.

No way Magneto gets made. Even if Wolverine is a success, and I think it will be.

I tentatively agree.

Magneto as the film it should be? Unlikely to see the light of day. Magneto as a generic cheer-for-revenge film with superpowers thrown in, where we find out at the end we were cheering for the bad guy all along, except we also knew this all along? Quite likely to see the light of day.

In my opinion, Magneto should be like a higher-concept Kevin Smith movie. The real meat of the film would be conversations between the two main characters (who of course are in a sort of bromance) over a few decades. Of course, as they grow older, they start picking at the real differences in opinion between each other, rather than good-natured jibes at the superficial stuff, until they have a violent falling out and go their separate ways. Tack on an epilogue that leads in to the first film and a prologue that shows Magneto enduring the horrors of Auschwitz, and ta-daa! A true arthouse superhero flick.

But what do I know? Nothin', that's what.

edited December 2008

So, as mentioned in the slightly revised OP, Magneto production is now being stepped up. Sauce. I guess there was a way, and that way was "the producer and director finally get done other projects and set their sights on the film".

Also, a question to the mods: given Fox's legal maneuverings, I will assume that any bootleg video of the Wolverine SDCC footage should not even be linked to from here? I ask only because I finally saw it, and even in shitty camera-phone-o-vision it was awesome.

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Magneto is cool and all but but
    Spoiler:

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? peach treesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah I don't think that is the best way to have them meet

7u0YG.gif
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | SCREENED | STEAM ID | BUY SOME STUFF!
  • TL DRTL DR Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Magneto is cool and all but but
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

eokNV.jpg
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I thought he was a liberating american soldier?

Quire.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Congratulations nightmarenny, you have displayed excellent reading comprehension.

That being said, I will fix that so it's clearer straightaway.

edited December 2008
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Wouldnt that make him like, a 10 year old soldier? Or are they going to ignore that opening scene from the movie completely and pretend Erik is 18 now?

Ugh, I hope Magneto never happens. It already sounds like a mess.

XBL: MXrox - PSN: mxmarks - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I am so giddy for the possibility of a Deadpool spinoff thanks to this movie, it must do well.

PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Drakeon wrote: »
    I am so giddy for the possibility of a Deadpool spinoff thanks to this movie, it must do well.

I would love to see a movie where Deadpool is constantly adressing the audience.

scale3nk0.png
  • Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Character spoiler from the trailer I guess?
    Spoiler:

• hesthefastesthesthefastest Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Those pics really got me wondering. Do fish get thirsty?

Seriously though, I think this movie is going to be saved by secondary characters, Wolverine is still too much of a pussy.

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood Living Proof That Sometimes Friends Are Mean.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Those pics really got me wondering. Do fish get thirsty?

Seriously though, I think this movie is going to be saved by secondary characters, Wolverine is still too much of a pussy.
    man, what?

he fucking jumped from an exploding truck onto a moving helicopter

you couldn't be farther away from "pussy" if you tried

SPJbSps.png
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That trailer was the shizzle, I expected more deadpool though, like a gag or two, seeing Reynolds isn't disfigured made me curious, of course that could be pre wep x treatment.

Jackman looked badass though, that ending bit was 8-)

• Squirminator2kSquirminator2k Check out those ports! Sunland, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm not expecting much out of "Wolverine", but I can't say anything without coming across as one of those people who goes onto internet forums and says, "dude a friend of a friend totally works for marvel and they say its going to suck srsly u guys im not kidding".

They've ruined Deadpool. Ruined him.

I've... I've gotta go.

portscenter-pa.gif
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm not expecting much out of "Wolverine", but I can't say anything without coming across as one of those people who goes onto internet forums and says, "dude a friend of a friend totally works for marvel and they say its going to suck srsly u guys im not kidding".

They've ruined Deadpool. Ruined him.

I've... I've gotta go.

You see him for a whole second! RUINED

I'm not a big fan of Ryan Reynolds (in fact I can't stand him), but they are, apparently, making him scarred. Either way you can check out the new animated movie coming out early next year called Hulk Vs. It looks pretty good and has Deadpool in it.

RE: Origins

I'm still amazed that the Tsotsi guy is directing this. It actually gives me high hopes for it.

All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k Check out those ports! Sunland, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »
    You see him for a whole second! RUINED

Actually I haven't seen the trailer yet, and I rather like Ryan Reynolds. He's what you'd likely get if you threw Matthew Perry and Jim Carrey into the blender, and sieved out the gurning.

portscenter-pa.gif
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    mxmarks wrote: »

Wouldnt that make him like, a 10 year old soldier? Or are they going to ignore that opening scene from the movie completely and pretend Erik is 18 now?

Ugh, I hope Magneto never happens. It already sounds like a mess.

Perhaps I wasn't clear? Erik is a kid. Xavior is a US soldier. Its not that complicated y'know.

Quire.jpg
  • HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Haven't liked a trailer so much in a long time. Hopefully this will erase the bullshit that was X3 from my memory.

TiSBcast.com - Home of This is Serious Business, a weekly roundtable podcast involving media, beer, and general merriment.
    Twitters
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Watching that trailer made me think of the comic where Gabe and Tycho go see the new diehard.

20070716.jpg

mrsatansig.png
  • Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User
    edited December 2008
    Is that a play on the "leaked Michael Bay Batman" script that was floating around the internet while Dark Knight was being made?