As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mask making...

millislimmillislim Black SheepSacramento, CARegistered User regular
edited December 2008 in Artist's Corner
So i made this mask (Ann Archy from RSPD) for PAX08

randompicsandanne045-1-1.jpgannarchy_cover-1.jpg
and got some great comments from Pax goers including Gabe...so I was thinking...I'm gonna try my hand at making Gabe and Tycho masks but I was wondering...

After making these if someone wanted to buy it would it be against the law since technically Gabe and Tycho don't belong to me? Or would it ok since its a costume and wouldn't be claiming rights over it?

also, since I would be trying to duplicate the drawing style of gabe does it look like i did ok mimicing her from a 2D pic?

[X] Pax tix
[X] Train tix
[_] Finish Vivi costume
[X] Anxiously wait
millislim on

• Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think you did a good job with that mask.

As far as making Gabe and Tycho masks and trying to sell them...that's a bad idea. You need to get permission before you try and make a profit off of anyone's artwork. Try emailing them, that's probably the best way to get in touch with them.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    millislimmillislim Black Sheep Sacramento, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    well...its not my intention to sell em. I just plan to make them but if i do a really good job and someone offered to buy...thats what i was thinking. Around halloween, when you see the celebrity masks for sale...did they get permission first? I guess thats what i was most concerned about...i have no problems asking for permission but i'm sure those two are bombared with random emails and I think mine would never get read...

has anyone ever been able to reach them personally on something like this? I would think the only way is via PAX when theyre randomly walking around but that is hardly the place to talk about legal matters and artists' rights

how would I contact them? I can't find an email address

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Celebrites =/= intellectual property and that's why you can sell them without them suing you (most of the time)

edit: to be clearer, the guys who write and draw PA are Celebrites (kinda) and the characters in the comic strip itself are intellectual property. You could make and sell masks of the guys without their concent but you would need to talk to/get permission/work out a deal if you wanted to sell masks based on their characters.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    millislim wrote: »
    well...its not my intention to sell em. I just plan to make them but if i do a really good job and someone offered to buy...thats what i was thinking. Around halloween, when you see the celebrity masks for sale...did they get permission first? I guess thats what i was most concerned about...i have no problems asking for permission but i'm sure those two are bombared with random emails and I think mine would never get read...

has anyone ever been able to reach them personally on something like this? I would think the only way is via PAX when theyre randomly walking around but that is hardly the place to talk about legal matters and artists' rights

how would I contact them? I can't find an email address

If you click their little avatars on the top left of their posts, it gives you their email addresses.

Tam on
  • Options
    millislimmillislim Black Sheep Sacramento, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    NOW THAT'S HELPFUL!!! Thanks....I talked to my bf about it and he thinks I should make a mask first and then present them with it and see what they think. I think if I give some of the profits to child's play that may help. I would love it if this was the start of some new merch for them. I would rather work with them then go at it alone hoping I'm not asking for a lawsuit.

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait