Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Left 4 Dead : "2009 is the year of the log"

1356762

Posts

  • LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Heh heh, Santa boomer is my fav.

    LavaKnight on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Icemopper wrote: »
    Please feel free to comment and edit this, I'm not 100% sure about much of it, and I could most definitely be plain wrong.

    The surfing video has no useful information whatsoever. For one, you can't bunnyhop, and secondly the way you change direction in midair in CS is completely different from how you do it in L4D.

    RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Zek wrote: »
    Campy wrote: »
    I didn't realise that the hunter pounces obeyed CS surf style rules? This will up my infected game tenfold.

    Only a little bit, you don't get nearly as much air control as in other HL/Source games.

    Right. You cannot go around corners or anything like that, but if your target moves to the right a bit, you can screw them over and hit them anyway.

    In surf games you can go in complete circles while in the air... that is completely not the case here. You are much more limited.

    Changed the thing to reflect this.

    And sorry Random, I didn't watch the video entirely, I'm in a hurry. But it most definitely has connections. Forget bunny hopping, but changing direction in midair is the same method, it just doesn't work quite as well.

    I will attempt to edit that later.

    Icemopper on
    steam_sig.png PSN:Icemopper
  • El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Domhnall wrote: »
    Untouchables and Nothing Special.

    D:

    edit:

    I have the Lamb 2 Slaughter achievement in game but not on my steam page. This is odd.

    Yeah there's a few that are probably gonna take me getting people together just for the sake of gaming some achievements. Untouchables could be done on easy difficulty as well as Nothing Special. The ones that bother me:

    Safety First: even when being super careful, accidents happen. Even if you played on easy, one slip and you'd have to restart.

    Unbreakable: could be done on easy, but you'd have to get 4 live players because the AI survivors insist on healing you frequently.

    Nothing Special: Seriously? The whole campaign? Might be doable on easy but again one lucky hit and you have to start over again.

    Stomach Upset: Same as Nothing Special. The finales make this nearly impossible.

    El Guaco on



  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm pretty sure max pounce damage is 20.

    Edit: Ok, I stand corrected.

    greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

    [URL="http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/acz2t/let_me_tell _you_about_demons_souls/"]Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....[/URL]
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Job_41:25Job_41:25 Registered User
    edited December 2008
    greeble wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure max pounce damage is 20.

    No, it is 25. I've done it myself not to mention the loads of videos, including the ones at the top of this page.

    Job_41:25 on
  • DomhnallDomhnall Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    El Guaco wrote: »
    Domhnall wrote: »
    Untouchables and Nothing Special.

    D:

    edit:

    I have the Lamb 2 Slaughter achievement in game but not on my steam page. This is odd.

    Yeah there's a few that are probably gonna take me getting people together just for the sake of gaming some achievements. Untouchables could be done on easy difficulty as well as Nothing Special. The ones that bother me:

    Safety First: even when being super careful, accidents happen. Even if you played on easy, one slip and you'd have to restart.

    Unbreakable: could be done on easy, but you'd have to get 4 live players because the AI survivors insist on healing you frequently.

    Nothing Special: Seriously? The whole campaign? Might be doable on easy but again one lucky hit and you have to start over again.

    Stomach Upset: Same as Nothing Special. The finales make this nearly impossible.

    I actually 'got' Stomach Upset with a couple PA folk but none of us got it. The guy who joined during the NM4 did though!

    Only place I imagine untouchables would be quite easy is the roof of the No Mercy finale.

    You can get Safety First with three bots quite easy. You just need to watch your own fire.

    Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • guarguar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Icemopper wrote: »
    How to hunt for brains: A guide to the Hunter: Left 4 Dead: Kill the Survivors: Part IV

    Important note, you do not want to just walk up to a mans and pounce, most especially when he is next to other mans, that does not do anything. Pounce on mans from far away if you're pouncing at all. You don't want to pounce if you don't have a good distance to travel, and you could otherwise just walk up and smack them a bit. If a dude gets left behind, especially behind a wall or something, pounce that foolish sucka, and rack up some damage.

    Heres some simple videos showing how to play hunter better than just pouncing on mans.

    Use this to get cool places, and scare the poop out of survivors pants. Word has it that this does not add damage together, so if you're going for a 25 damage pounce, do it from a distance.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJL0b9yibbM

    This video shows how to get in the right position for maximum damage on a pounce. Note: Damage is calculated on distance from A: Hunter's initial pouncing location, to B: Position of survivor. Leaping up really high doesn't do anything, might as well leap directly at the dude.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlAz3UG1lN0

    Changing midair trajectory: Watch the first little bit of this video (Oh noes it isn't L4D!) and you'll get an idea of how to change where you're going to land. Then just practice it a lot, it does take time to learn, but it becomes second nature quickly.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KQXA-4bKy0

    I hope this is somewhat decent, I don't have time for much more, but it might be a little helpful to people just starting off, or not sure what the hunter does, or something. I'm not saying I'm good, these are not my videos, and I just love pouncing on dudes.

    Please feel free to comment and edit this, I'm not 100% sure about much of it, and I could most definitely be plain wrong.

    This is relevant to my interests.

    grinchgrin-1.png

    guar on
  • shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Stomach Upset is wayyy easier to get than Nothing Special or Safety First.

    shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • ImperfectImperfect Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Imperfect on
  • guarguar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Domhnall wrote: »
    El Guaco wrote: »
    Domhnall wrote: »
    Untouchables and Nothing Special.

    D:

    edit:

    I have the Lamb 2 Slaughter achievement in game but not on my steam page. This is odd.

    Yeah there's a few that are probably gonna take me getting people together just for the sake of gaming some achievements. Untouchables could be done on easy difficulty as well as Nothing Special. The ones that bother me:

    Safety First: even when being super careful, accidents happen. Even if you played on easy, one slip and you'd have to restart.

    Unbreakable: could be done on easy, but you'd have to get 4 live players because the AI survivors insist on healing you frequently.

    Nothing Special: Seriously? The whole campaign? Might be doable on easy but again one lucky hit and you have to start over again.

    Stomach Upset: Same as Nothing Special. The finales make this nearly impossible.

    I actually 'got' Stomach Upset with a couple PA folk but none of us got it. The guy who joined during the NM4 did though!

    Only place I imagine untouchables would be quite easy is the roof of the No Mercy finale.

    You can get Safety First with three bots quite easy. You just need to watch your own fire.

    Play any SP campaign on easy and do nothing but melee. As long as the AI doesn't "accidentally" shoot a propane or gas tank..

    guar on
  • As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You can also "wall jump" from ceilings. I don't know when that would ever be useful, but it's possible.

    If you pounce on someone from above it will pretty much negate being meleed by them, since you hit their head first and you'll knock back everyone around them. Similarly, it can be useful to wall jump behind someone in a hallway and pounce them from the rear.

    As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Imperfect wrote: »
    Christ, now I want a Marvel Zombies mod so bad Or a Crackdown mod. Somethin that lets us jump around willy-nilly like that.

    Sorenson on
    Gamertag, Crackdown metatag, and other interesting stuff below!
    Join the Wang Defense Force and help stop the insect menace!
    Help a poor bastard out! Read (or at least visit) my Bright Hub articles!
    X3TC Naval Shuffle: My ships are fast; my shields are strong; and my guns are very, very large.

    Jolly%20Junker.jpg


    PA%20Crackdown.jpg
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The OP

    Deserves a round of applause. Good show all round.

    Gumpy on
  • angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    walljumping does reset your damage counter but you can still use it to your advantage

    this is the best hunter vid I've seen:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN7PrqVxJys

    angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Imperfect wrote: »
    Christ, now I want a Marvel Zombies mod so bad Or a Crackdown mod. Somethin that lets us jump around willy-nilly like that.

    Well, aside from the presence of the Survivor team, you can jump around like that. It doesn't look modded to me. Aside from the third-person, that is.

    Dammit, now you've got me thinking if the Source engine could be used for an open-world game like Crackdown/GTA/etc. :)

    Edit: One game I was in, I heard someone say "Take that, Zombie Altaïr!" as they killed a Hunter.

    capable heart on
  • DeMoNDeMoN Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't like versus. Well, I like it as infected. Hate it as survivor.

    Campaign is where it's at.

    DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    walljumping does reset your damage counter but you can still use it to your advantage

    this is the best hunter vid I've seen:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN7PrqVxJys

    Those are some pretty amazing jumps. It also makes it look like you can steer in the air somehow? I'm a hunter noob so this is enlightening. It looks like bouncing off a wall is much preferable to a straight pounce because it gives you more air and more time to steer your pounce.

    El Guaco on



  • As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There are plenty of times where just a plain pounce on someone is preferable, though. I mean it's direct, quick, and the knock back on the other survivors can still be useful, particularly if timed with other hunters and a boomer.

    As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Kay2Kay2 Registered User
    edited December 2008
    That 'Death From Above' video has some insane stuff in it - it's almost like he changes direction halfway through a jump to land some of those pounces.

    I must try this 'surfing' thing.

    Kay2 on
  • angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    As7 wrote: »
    There are plenty of times where just a plain pounce on someone is preferable, though. I mean it's direct, quick, and the knock back on the other survivors can still be useful, particularly if timed with other hunters and a boomer.

    maybe if you're running short on time, sure

    but in the video he isn't, and it's always better to do the 20+ damage than not any at all (your example)

    a lot of time as hunter I just end up running in to melee because the survivors have such an easy time meleeing hunters

    angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    As7 wrote: »
    There are plenty of times where just a plain pounce on someone is preferable, though. I mean it's direct, quick, and the knock back on the other survivors can still be useful, particularly if timed with other hunters and a boomer.

    maybe if you're running short on time, sure

    but in the video he isn't, and it's always better to do the 20+ damage than not any at all (your example)

    a lot of time as hunter I just end up running in to melee because the survivors have such an easy time meleeing hunters

    If someone is lagging behind with allies around a corner, I'd rather just get it over with and pounce him than do some elaborate pounce from far away that may or may not work and let him catch up.

    But yes, if you have the time, setting up long pounces is great, as it's unavoidable damage.

    Sometimes during a crescendo or something, though, they aren't possible and timing might be more important.

    As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    As7 wrote: »
    As7 wrote: »
    There are plenty of times where just a plain pounce on someone is preferable, though. I mean it's direct, quick, and the knock back on the other survivors can still be useful, particularly if timed with other hunters and a boomer.

    maybe if you're running short on time, sure

    but in the video he isn't, and it's always better to do the 20+ damage than not any at all (your example)

    a lot of time as hunter I just end up running in to melee because the survivors have such an easy time meleeing hunters

    If someone is lagging behind with allies around a corner, I'd rather just get it over with and pounce him than do some elaborate pounce from far away that may or may not work and let him catch up.

    He actually did one or two from relatively close range in that video. In closer quarters, instead of pouncing directly onto the target, he wall jumped off the scenery first for extra distance.

    subedii on
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    He actually did one or two from relatively close range in that video. In closer quarters, instead of pouncing directly onto the target, he wall jumped off the scenery first for extra distance.

    I've been working on that. A good place to practice is on the first No mercy level when they exit the starting building. I'm not that good at long distance pounces to begin with, so it can be pretty frustrating.

    NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • jimbo034jimbo034 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Does anyone want to play on xbox in a bit?

    jimbo034 on
    We're growing into a post-scarcity economy?

    I hadn't noticed the build a dyson sphere around the sun component of the stimulus package.
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    All this has made want to play as a Hunter now, and to think that I hated being one in VS. Hopefully my new vidcard comes in the mail today.

    Satsumomo on
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So I didnt know this, but apparently people think that sitting at the weapons corner in the BH finale is an exploit? I don't understand this logic at all. How is this different than all 4 of you sitting at the top of the stairs or in the barn or the top of the No Mercy finale roof? I dont get it.

    Spawnbroker on
    Battle.net: Spawnbroker#1471
    Avatar from 21st's Pixel Peeps
  • DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User
    edited December 2008
    Because it's impossible to beat and not fun for anyone. We actually had a plan ready to execute but couldn't because we couldn't get within 10 yards of the house. At least try to play the game.

    There are other defensible spots, but fuck the corner's just cheap.

    DualEdge on
  • ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So I didnt know this, but apparently people think that sitting at the weapons corner in the BH finale is an exploit? I don't understand this logic at all. How is this different than all 4 of you sitting at the top of the stairs or in the barn or the top of the No Mercy finale roof? I dont get it.

    Nah. The soft collision prevents that spot from even being all that great, and you still have to be pretty coordinated since you can get boomered and the horde has enough room to spread out a bit. The barn is a much better spot.

    Edit: Unless it's a different spot in the room? I'm not aware of anyplace in that room being all that great.

    The layout of the BH finale certainly favors the survivors, but it's through map design and not exploits.

    Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If you hold the movement keys into a corner you can actually get all the survivors there and they won't hit each other with weapons.

    RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • dmaurodmauro Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    DualEdge wrote: »
    We actually had a plan ready to execute but couldn't because we couldn't get within 10 yards of the house.
    How can you not get within 10 yards when they hide at the weapon cache?

    Re: Hunter short-pouncing. When everybody is hudled together, if you can get through the melee wall, even if your pounce does no direct damage, it will make everyone stagger and they will start taking some swipes from zombies. It's also really great if someone is healing. I almost got killed because a hunter pounced the guy next to me a fraction of a second before my heal finished.

    dmauro on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ah. Well I certainly advocate stronger soft collision then.

    I think a good way to solve this is to make a new infected type which deals well with people balled up in a hole. Forming Voltron seems too easy to do in multiple places.

    Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • DomhnallDomhnall Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    How to be a good sportman in vs:

    If the other team has an afk and tells you they have an afk for the love of Christ don't attack them. That's poor form.

    Don't bitch at people for voting to go back to lobby because they have horrendous ping then, when the next server gives you a horrendous ping, bitch and say we need to go back to lobby.

    If you're part of a pub stomp and a pubber takes the place of a PAer quickly kick the pubber so the PAer can retake his place.

    edit:
    dmauro wrote: »
    DualEdge wrote: »
    We actually had a plan ready to execute but couldn't because we couldn't get within 10 yards of the house.
    How can you not get within 10 yards when they hide at the weapon cache?

    Re: Hunter short-pouncing. When everybody is hudled together, if you can get through the melee wall, even if your pounce does no direct damage, it will make everyone stagger and they will start taking some swipes from zombies. It's also really great if someone is healing. I almost got killed because a hunter pounced the guy next to me a fraction of a second before my heal finished.

    If you pounce into a melee wall more often than not you're going to get meleed and just stagger around like a child dizzy on lemonade.

    Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    DualEdge wrote: »
    Because it's impossible to beat and not fun for anyone. We actually had a plan ready to execute but couldn't because we couldn't get within 10 yards of the house. At least try to play the game.

    There are other defensible spots, but fuck the corner's just cheap.
    LOL

    A) not an exploit. it's friggin part of the map and all we're doing is sitting next to weapons.
    B) there's about 3-4 different spots that are sooooo much better.
    C) laundry room = the balls.

    rakuenCallisto on
  • rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    El Guaco wrote: »
    Those are some pretty amazing jumps. It also makes it look like you can steer in the air somehow? I'm a hunter noob so this is enlightening. It looks like bouncing off a wall is much preferable to a straight pounce because it gives you more air and more time to steer your pounce.
    Yea this is how I play hunter, only I do A LOT more continuous wall leaps to scare the shit out of the survivors.

    I could care less about landing on a guy and getting hit off 1.4 seconds later.

    rakuenCallisto on
  • DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User
    edited December 2008
    Oh no, don't get me wrong Rak, I'm not claiming it's an exploit. I'm just saying it's an extremely cheap thing to do in VS, as it is no better than hiding under the ramp in No Mercy or in the closet by the elevator, especially when everyone here claims to be better than pubbies.

    DualEdge on
  • rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Kay wrote: »
    That 'Death From Above' video has some insane stuff in it - it's almost like he changes direction halfway through a jump to land some of those pounces.

    I must try this 'surfing' thing.
    :3 wow it's almost like he is cause that's what he's doing.

    not that hard, if you are a previous rocket jumper/demoman it is pretty simple.

    Dual: Ohhh ok on VS.

    rakuenCallisto on
  • shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    DualEdge wrote: »
    Oh no, don't get me wrong Rak, I'm not claiming it's an exploit. I'm just saying it's an extremely cheap thing to do in VS, as it is no better than hiding under the ramp in No Mercy or in the closet by the elevator, especially when everyone here claims to be better than pubbies.

    Man, its wayyyy less cheap than the ramp or the closet. Theres only one way into the closet/ramp, and theres 2 1/2 ways into the corner.



    edit: Poasting from in-game! its slow! Man, Steam should use Chrome as its default rendering engine.

    shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • FiggyFiggy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think when it comes to sitting in corners it's just silly to get pissed. It's going to happen.

    How far are we going to go when it comes to telling people how to "behave?" Stay out of corners? Stay out of closets? Melee less? Don't use the autoshotty? Don't shoot through walls?

    Unless it's something that is specifically and clearly an exploit (training the witch, bashing cars as a tank, IMO) then fuck it. Just accept it as a point in the round where you're likely not going to hit the survivors.

    BH is just a terrible map for VS anyway.

    Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment · Website : www.nathanswyers.com
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My favorite thing is playing vs and not getting to be the tank once. And being pretty sure everyone else on your team got to be him twice or even three times.

    No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
Sign In or Register to comment.