Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Left 4 Dead : "2009 is the year of the log"

• angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    walljumping does reset your damage counter but you can still use it to your advantage

this is the best hunter vid I've seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN7PrqVxJys

sQwJu.png
  • capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Imperfect wrote: »
    Christ, now I want a Marvel Zombies mod so bad Or a Crackdown mod. Somethin that lets us jump around willy-nilly like that.

Well, aside from the presence of the Survivor team, you can jump around like that. It doesn't look modded to me. Aside from the third-person, that is.

Dammit, now you've got me thinking if the Source engine could be used for an open-world game like Crackdown/GTA/etc. :)

Edit: One game I was in, I heard someone say "Take that, Zombie Altaïr!" as they killed a Hunter.

• DeMoNDeMoN Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't like versus. Well, I like it as infected. Hate it as survivor.

Campaign is where it's at.

PSN: Toxic_Cizzle Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    walljumping does reset your damage counter but you can still use it to your advantage

this is the best hunter vid I've seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN7PrqVxJys

Those are some pretty amazing jumps. It also makes it look like you can steer in the air somehow? I'm a hunter noob so this is enlightening. It looks like bouncing off a wall is much preferable to a straight pounce because it gives you more air and more time to steer your pounce.

• As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There are plenty of times where just a plain pounce on someone is preferable, though. I mean it's direct, quick, and the knock back on the other survivors can still be useful, particularly if timed with other hunters and a boomer.

XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Kay2Kay2 Registered User
    edited December 2008
    That 'Death From Above' video has some insane stuff in it - it's almost like he changes direction halfway through a jump to land some of those pounces.

I must try this 'surfing' thing.

• angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    As7 wrote: »
    There are plenty of times where just a plain pounce on someone is preferable, though. I mean it's direct, quick, and the knock back on the other survivors can still be useful, particularly if timed with other hunters and a boomer.

maybe if you're running short on time, sure

but in the video he isn't, and it's always better to do the 20+ damage than not any at all (your example)

a lot of time as hunter I just end up running in to melee because the survivors have such an easy time meleeing hunters

sQwJu.png
    edited December 2008

but in the video he isn't, and it's always better to do the 20+ damage than not any at all (your example)

a lot of time as hunter I just end up running in to melee because the survivors have such an easy time meleeing hunters

If someone is lagging behind with allies around a corner, I'd rather just get it over with and pounce him than do some elaborate pounce from far away that may or may not work and let him catch up.

But yes, if you have the time, setting up long pounces is great, as it's unavoidable damage.

Sometimes during a crescendo or something, though, they aren't possible and timing might be more important.

Secret Satan
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

If someone is lagging behind with allies around a corner, I'd rather just get it over with and pounce him than do some elaborate pounce from far away that may or may not work and let him catch up.

He actually did one or two from relatively close range in that video. In closer quarters, instead of pouncing directly onto the target, he wall jumped off the scenery first for extra distance.

• NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    He actually did one or two from relatively close range in that video. In closer quarters, instead of pouncing directly onto the target, he wall jumped off the scenery first for extra distance.

I've been working on that. A good place to practice is on the first No mercy level when they exit the starting building. I'm not that good at long distance pounces to begin with, so it can be pretty frustrating.

XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • jimbo034jimbo034 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Does anyone want to play on xbox in a bit?

We're growing into a post-scarcity economy?

I hadn't noticed the build a dyson sphere around the sun component of the stimulus package.
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    All this has made want to play as a Hunter now, and to think that I hated being one in VS. Hopefully my new vidcard comes in the mail today.

steam_sig.png
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So I didnt know this, but apparently people think that sitting at the weapons corner in the BH finale is an exploit? I don't understand this logic at all. How is this different than all 4 of you sitting at the top of the stairs or in the barn or the top of the No Mercy finale roof? I dont get it.

3DS: 5043-2471-1061
    Battle.net: Spawnbroker#1471
    Nintendo Network ID: Spawnbroker
  • DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User
    edited December 2008
    Because it's impossible to beat and not fun for anyone. We actually had a plan ready to execute but couldn't because we couldn't get within 10 yards of the house. At least try to play the game.

There are other defensible spots, but fuck the corner's just cheap.

• ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So I didnt know this, but apparently people think that sitting at the weapons corner in the BH finale is an exploit? I don't understand this logic at all. How is this different than all 4 of you sitting at the top of the stairs or in the barn or the top of the No Mercy finale roof? I dont get it.

Nah. The soft collision prevents that spot from even being all that great, and you still have to be pretty coordinated since you can get boomered and the horde has enough room to spread out a bit. The barn is a much better spot.

Edit: Unless it's a different spot in the room? I'm not aware of anyplace in that room being all that great.

The layout of the BH finale certainly favors the survivors, but it's through map design and not exploits.

No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If you hold the movement keys into a corner you can actually get all the survivors there and they won't hit each other with weapons.

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • dmaurodmauro Registered User
    edited December 2008
    DualEdge wrote: »
    We actually had a plan ready to execute but couldn't because we couldn't get within 10 yards of the house.
    How can you not get within 10 yards when they hide at the weapon cache?

Re: Hunter short-pouncing. When everybody is hudled together, if you can get through the melee wall, even if your pounce does no direct damage, it will make everyone stagger and they will start taking some swipes from zombies. It's also really great if someone is healing. I almost got killed because a hunter pounced the guy next to me a fraction of a second before my heal finished.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ah. Well I certainly advocate stronger soft collision then.

I think a good way to solve this is to make a new infected type which deals well with people balled up in a hole. Forming Voltron seems too easy to do in multiple places.

No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • DomhnallDomhnall Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    How to be a good sportman in vs:

If the other team has an afk and tells you they have an afk for the love of Christ don't attack them. That's poor form.

Don't bitch at people for voting to go back to lobby because they have horrendous ping then, when the next server gives you a horrendous ping, bitch and say we need to go back to lobby.

If you're part of a pub stomp and a pubber takes the place of a PAer quickly kick the pubber so the PAer can retake his place.

edit:
    dmauro wrote: »
    We actually had a plan ready to execute but couldn't because we couldn't get within 10 yards of the house.
    How can you not get within 10 yards when they hide at the weapon cache?

Re: Hunter short-pouncing. When everybody is hudled together, if you can get through the melee wall, even if your pounce does no direct damage, it will make everyone stagger and they will start taking some swipes from zombies. It's also really great if someone is healing. I almost got killed because a hunter pounced the guy next to me a fraction of a second before my heal finished.

If you pounce into a melee wall more often than not you're going to get meleed and just stagger around like a child dizzy on lemonade.

Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS
    edited December 2008
    Because it's impossible to beat and not fun for anyone. We actually had a plan ready to execute but couldn't because we couldn't get within 10 yards of the house. At least try to play the game.

LOL

A) not an exploit. it's friggin part of the map and all we're doing is sitting next to weapons.
    B) there's about 3-4 different spots that are sooooo much better.
    C) laundry room = the balls.

edited December 2008
    El Guaco wrote: »
    Those are some pretty amazing jumps. It also makes it look like you can steer in the air somehow? I'm a hunter noob so this is enlightening. It looks like bouncing off a wall is much preferable to a straight pounce because it gives you more air and more time to steer your pounce.
    Yea this is how I play hunter, only I do A LOT more continuous wall leaps to scare the shit out of the survivors.

I could care less about landing on a guy and getting hit off 1.4 seconds later.

• DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User
    edited December 2008
    Oh no, don't get me wrong Rak, I'm not claiming it's an exploit. I'm just saying it's an extremely cheap thing to do in VS, as it is no better than hiding under the ramp in No Mercy or in the closet by the elevator, especially when everyone here claims to be better than pubbies.

edited December 2008
    Kay wrote: »
    That 'Death From Above' video has some insane stuff in it - it's almost like he changes direction halfway through a jump to land some of those pounces.

:3 wow it's almost like he is cause that's what he's doing.

not that hard, if you are a previous rocket jumper/demoman it is pretty simple.

Dual: Ohhh ok on VS.

• shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh no, don't get me wrong Rak, I'm not claiming it's an exploit. I'm just saying it's an extremely cheap thing to do in VS, as it is no better than hiding under the ramp in No Mercy or in the closet by the elevator, especially when everyone here claims to be better than pubbies.

Man, its wayyyy less cheap than the ramp or the closet. Theres only one way into the closet/ramp, and theres 2 1/2 ways into the corner.

edit: Poasting from in-game! its slow! Man, Steam should use Chrome as its default rendering engine.

Steam & GT
    Spoiler:
  • FiggyFiggy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think when it comes to sitting in corners it's just silly to get pissed. It's going to happen.

How far are we going to go when it comes to telling people how to "behave?" Stay out of corners? Stay out of closets? Melee less? Don't use the autoshotty? Don't shoot through walls?

Unless it's something that is specifically and clearly an exploit (training the witch, bashing cars as a tank, IMO) then fuck it. Just accept it as a point in the round where you're likely not going to hit the survivors.

BH is just a terrible map for VS anyway.

daniant wrote:
    Alright, looks like I'm giving up golden showers for Lent.
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment · Website : www.nathanswyers.com
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My favorite thing is playing vs and not getting to be the tank once. And being pretty sure everyone else on your team got to be him twice or even three times.

Xbox Live: OGSirToons PSN: NoGreatName Bnet Tag: SirToons#1214 NNID: SirToons
    Steam ID: SirToons 3DS: 3024-5277-3254 Twitch: SirToons check.php?c=sirtoons
  • iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    more like sir tears.

you man the island and the cocaine and the elegant cars
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/iowa
    signature.png
  • Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User
    edited December 2008
    Even the ramp in NM (which seems very likely to be patched out as it's cheesy) is beatable assuming the tank is familiar with the counter.

Which is: find the angle where only one of them can be shooting you at a time and continue throwing rocks. Forever, if necessary. I did this yesterday against some very concerted ramp campers (cramp pampers?) who absolutely refused to budge.

They bailed by the time I incapped the first one and started shelling number 2 -- at which point they'd only managed to get me down to 75% of my initial health.

• greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    One good thing about the ramp is you can can still boomer stun and scratch through the sides of the ramp. Sure you can't do a whole ton of damage, but you can usually get one swipe in.

Cool, I didn't know you could throw rocks through the ramp wall.

PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Even the ramp in NM (which seems very likely to be patched out as it's cheesy) is beatable assuming the tank is familiar with the counter.

Which is: find the angle where only one of them can be shooting you at a time and continue throwing rocks. Forever, if necessary. I did this yesterday against some very concerted ramp campers (cramp pampers?) who absolutely refused to budge.

They bailed by the time I incapped the first one and started shelling number 2 -- at which point they'd only managed to get me down to 75% of my initial health.

Still a broken spot if it's forcing one side to out-camp the other, but thanks for pointing that out. Beats letting cheaters get an easy win. How can people hate fun so much?

PAJoe_zpsc20d21e8.jpg
  • Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    marty wrote: »
    me roland minty and wsdx were a pretty vicious zombo team last night. Boomer bile for 2 mins nonstop? Yes please

haha that was quite nice

El Guaco wrote: »
    Yea this is how I play hunter, only I do A LOT more continuous wall leaps to scare the shit out of the survivors.

I could care less about landing on a guy and getting hit off 1.4 seconds later.

No kidding. I love to pounce around just out of sight as the boomer and smoker are getting set up to spawn. It keeps the survivors focused on you, and gives the other hunter a chance to either sneak closer for a pounce or get in real tight and swipe. Of course after they see you aren't going for them right away, they start to move again, and will be watching for a pounce but often I'm not even in the area they think I am. -10 swipe

roland even though you are just living life until ragnarok

us mortals have to deal
  • DomhnallDomhnall Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Playing against a team of swiping Hunters is the most infuriating thing there is. Thank God the Hunter swipe has a different sound effect.

Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • SarksusSarksus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I kept trying to use the primary attack button to swipe while upright. It didn't work and I died several times before I figured out what I was doing wrong. I am pretty terrible at being an infected.

edited December 2008

I think BH is fine for vs.

And in the finale, the best thing for the infected to do is coordinate around the tank, when the survivors HAVE to run outside, but you can still do additional damage while they are in the house by leading boomers around the corner near the gun closet and having hunter pounce them and the smoker tongue them at the right time, or using the confusion caused by their blindness to take swipes at an enemy.

Secret Satan
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I was not in this game but apparently someone was drunk and giving hunter advice, encouraging his teammates (in a whispering voice) to "slash slash" with the hunter. Lustre then started saying "slash slash" a lot and now it is code with my friends to say "slash slash" to ask if someone wants to play L4D. Or over voice chat when we've done like 50 damage with hunter swipes.

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Still a broken spot if it's forcing one side to out-camp the other, but thanks for pointing that out. Beats letting cheaters get an easy win. How can people hate fun so much?

Listen, you and I may believe in "honourable sportsmanship" and that a good game experience is more important, in the long run, than winning or losing. But some people aren't like that. To some people straight up winning is itself the only thing that's any fun for them, and they will try absolutely anything to do that, as long as it's not console cheats.

• FiggyFiggy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

And in the finale, the best thing for the infected to do is coordinate around the tank, when the survivors HAVE to run outside, but you can still do additional damage while they are in the house by leading boomers around the corner near the gun closet and having hunter pounce them and the smoker tongue them at the right time, or using the confusion caused by their blindness to take swipes at an enemy.

See.. the survivors don't ever have to come outside in the BH finale. By camping the weapons closet corner with 4 auto shotties, tanks barely get 2 swipes in before going down.

The back wall should be breakable after the first tank goes down. Problem solved! Get a move on!

daniant wrote:
    Alright, looks like I'm giving up golden showers for Lent.
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment · Website : www.nathanswyers.com
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Unless the player on the tank is quite good, the survivors shouldn't leave the corner. If they have 4 autoshotties, they can take down the tank almost before he can get a swipe off against them. The other infected can't really help either because the tank's attacks will (a) kill the hunter, (b) kill the boomer's horde, and (c) break the smoker's tongue.

If the survivors refuse to budge, in order to have any chance of dealing significant damage the tank has to either (a) throw rocks from outside through the broken wall of the house or (b) throw rocks from the kitchen immediately after the boomer vomits on them. Any other strategy will result in the tank dying within 3 seconds.

• ReaganReagan Registered User
    edited December 2008
    Kay wrote: »

Indeed. Can someone point me in the direction of a good surf map?

• HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Visibility Outlines (in versus)
    Spoiler: