As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Left 4 Dead : "2009 is the year of the log"

• Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    more like sir tears.

iowa on
  • Options
    Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Even the ramp in NM (which seems very likely to be patched out as it's cheesy) is beatable assuming the tank is familiar with the counter.

Which is: find the angle where only one of them can be shooting you at a time and continue throwing rocks. Forever, if necessary. I did this yesterday against some very concerted ramp campers (cramp pampers?) who absolutely refused to budge.

They bailed by the time I incapped the first one and started shelling number 2 -- at which point they'd only managed to get me down to 75% of my initial health.

Hockey Johnston on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    One good thing about the ramp is you can can still boomer stun and scratch through the sides of the ramp. Sure you can't do a whole ton of damage, but you can usually get one swipe in.

Cool, I didn't know you could throw rocks through the ramp wall.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Even the ramp in NM (which seems very likely to be patched out as it's cheesy) is beatable assuming the tank is familiar with the counter.

Which is: find the angle where only one of them can be shooting you at a time and continue throwing rocks. Forever, if necessary. I did this yesterday against some very concerted ramp campers (cramp pampers?) who absolutely refused to budge.

They bailed by the time I incapped the first one and started shelling number 2 -- at which point they'd only managed to get me down to 75% of my initial health.

Still a broken spot if it's forcing one side to out-camp the other, but thanks for pointing that out. Beats letting cheaters get an easy win. How can people hate fun so much?

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    marty wrote: »
    me roland minty and wsdx were a pretty vicious zombo team last night. Boomer bile for 2 mins nonstop? Yes please

haha that was quite nice

El Guaco wrote: »
    Those are some pretty amazing jumps. It also makes it look like you can steer in the air somehow? I'm a hunter noob so this is enlightening. It looks like bouncing off a wall is much preferable to a straight pounce because it gives you more air and more time to steer your pounce.
    Yea this is how I play hunter, only I do A LOT more continuous wall leaps to scare the shit out of the survivors.

I could care less about landing on a guy and getting hit off 1.4 seconds later.

No kidding. I love to pounce around just out of sight as the boomer and smoker are getting set up to spawn. It keeps the survivors focused on you, and gives the other hunter a chance to either sneak closer for a pounce or get in real tight and swipe. Of course after they see you aren't going for them right away, they start to move again, and will be watching for a pounce but often I'm not even in the area they think I am. -10 swipe

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Playing against a team of swiping Hunters is the most infuriating thing there is. Thank God the Hunter swipe has a different sound effect.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I kept trying to use the primary attack button to swipe while upright. It didn't work and I died several times before I figured out what I was doing wrong. I am pretty terrible at being an infected.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    DualEdge wrote: »
    Because it's impossible to beat and not fun for anyone. We actually had a plan ready to execute but couldn't because we couldn't get within 10 yards of the house. At least try to play the game.

There are other defensible spots, but fuck the corner's just cheap.

I think BH is fine for vs.

And in the finale, the best thing for the infected to do is coordinate around the tank, when the survivors HAVE to run outside, but you can still do additional damage while they are in the house by leading boomers around the corner near the gun closet and having hunter pounce them and the smoker tongue them at the right time, or using the confusion caused by their blindness to take swipes at an enemy.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I was not in this game but apparently someone was drunk and giving hunter advice, encouraging his teammates (in a whispering voice) to "slash slash" with the hunter. Lustre then started saying "slash slash" a lot and now it is code with my friends to say "slash slash" to ask if someone wants to play L4D. Or over voice chat when we've done like 50 damage with hunter swipes.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    deleted

capable heart on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    As7 wrote: »
    Because it's impossible to beat and not fun for anyone. We actually had a plan ready to execute but couldn't because we couldn't get within 10 yards of the house. At least try to play the game.

And in the finale, the best thing for the infected to do is coordinate around the tank, when the survivors HAVE to run outside, but you can still do additional damage while they are in the house by leading boomers around the corner near the gun closet and having hunter pounce them and the smoker tongue them at the right time, or using the confusion caused by their blindness to take swipes at an enemy.

See.. the survivors don't ever have to come outside in the BH finale. By camping the weapons closet corner with 4 auto shotties, tanks barely get 2 swipes in before going down.

The back wall should be breakable after the first tank goes down. Problem solved! Get a move on!

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    As7 wrote: »

Unless the player on the tank is quite good, the survivors shouldn't leave the corner. If they have 4 autoshotties, they can take down the tank almost before he can get a swipe off against them. The other infected can't really help either because the tank's attacks will (a) kill the hunter, (b) kill the boomer's horde, and (c) break the smoker's tongue.

If the survivors refuse to budge, in order to have any chance of dealing significant damage the tank has to either (a) throw rocks from outside through the broken wall of the house or (b) throw rocks from the kitchen immediately after the boomer vomits on them. Any other strategy will result in the tank dying within 3 seconds.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    ReaganReagan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Kay wrote: »
    That 'Death From Above' video has some insane stuff in it - it's almost like he changes direction halfway through a jump to land some of those pounces.

I must try this 'surfing' thing.

Indeed. Can someone point me in the direction of a good surf map?

Reagan on
  • Options
    HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Visibility Outlines (in versus)
    I've been doing some testing with my wonderful volunteer, z95, earlier tonight. This testing was a good thorough look at exactly what makes the survivor's outlines visible in Versus mode.

When you stop doing things that make you visible, your outline gradually fades out to nothing over about 3 seconds. Once your outline fades completely, your name text disappears too.

First of all, the things that do affect it. Doing any of the following will make your outline become visible, until you stop doing it.
    • Running around. This is basically normal wasd movement.
    • Melee attacks. Swinging your gun around makes you visible
    • Firing. Any weapon. This includes the mounted minigun. Firing any weapon causes you to be visible.
    • Starting a grenade throw. You become visible as soon as you press the fire button. But, whether you throw it immediately, or hold your arm back keeping it ready to throw, you do not become visible again from a grenade. Even when you release it.
    • Boomer bile. Having bile on you turns your outline purple, and makes it completely visible to all infected, regardless of what you do. You can't hide until the effect wears off.
    • Taking damage. Whenever you take damage from anything, your outline briefly flashes visible. Note that it's the damage, not the hit that causes it. A distinction few will care about, but it doesn't happen if god mode is turned on.
    • Voice commands. When your character speaks, you temporarily flash visible. This includes using any of the rosetta commands, and "vocalize" commands in the console. It also applies to things your character says automatically in various situations.
    • Shouting while incapped. Although being incapped on it's own, doesn't make you visible. Your survivor will shout for help every few seconds while they're down, and that DOES make them visible.
    • Helping someone up. You flash visible briefly when you start to help up an incapped survivor. It fades before you finish helping them though.
    • Using pills. Self explanatory.
    • Smoker/hunter attack. When you're pinned, or tongued, you become visible until freed.

Now, some other important things. All of the following things do NOT make your outline visible.
    • The Flashlight! Whether it's on or not is irrelevant. The flashlight does NOT affect the visibility of your outline. Given that, there's pretty much no reason to ever turn it off.
    • Walking. If you hold shift while moving, you walk instead of running. This is slower, of course. But your outline remains invisible while you walk. Good if you want to reverse an ambush by sneaking up on a hunter.
    • Crouch walking. Moving while holding crouch (ctrl) is exactly like walking. Holding the walk key while crouched does nothing.
    • Releasing a grenade throw that you had ready. This is covered above.
    • Reloading your weapon. Doesn't make you visible, but sometimes your survivor will shout "reloading!" and voice clips do make you visible, so beware of that.
    • Healing. As with reloading, using a medkit itself doesn't highlight you, with the caveat that the voice clips can.
    • Aiming. Didn't really need to be said, but mouselooking around doesn't highlight you. This includes when you're manning the mingun. you're only visible when you fire it.
    • Jumping. An odd one. Juumping up and down on the spot doesn't reveal you. Moving forward will, of course.
    • Being seen. The outline is completely independant of actual visibility. A survivor can be standing right in front of you, and their outline still invisible if they're not doing anything to cause it. Likewise, other infected seeing them doesn't affect it.
    • The tank. In case anyone was wondering, the tank is identical to all other infected in terms of seeing outlines. If you follow these guidelines, you can hide from the tank too. good if you've set it on fire and need to buy time.

Hitsuraptor on
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    you can hide from the tank too. good if you've set it on fire and need to buy time.
    This is pretty cool. I'd try it but it would take huge balls.

iowa on
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    iowa wrote: »
    you can hide from the tank too. good if you've set it on fire and need to buy time.

The fact that you can't totally control your character talking makes it almost impossible.

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

The closet strategy involves leaving it when the tank comes, same for the ramp. The problem is that it makes the game stall while both sides are waiting for the tank to show up, and when it does, the survivors are at full health meaning they can outrun the tank. It also completely trivializes the horde.

This is not a game about survival, where anything goes.
    It's a game about survival, wherein surviving is supposed to be a challenge.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    expendable wrote: »

The fact that it's a ~3-second timer versus a pissed-off OHKO machine makes it almost impossible.
    Fixed.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

The fact that you can't totally control your character talking makes it almost impossible.

That, and the fact that other infected waiting to spawn are telling the tank where you are. I once hid from the tank in the building near the BH finale and he came straight for me.. my character didn't say a word.

Hiding from the tank will rarely work because of this.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Exarch wrote: »

The closet strategy involves leaving it when the tank comes, same for the ramp. The problem is that it makes the game stall while both sides are waiting for the tank to show up, and when it does, the survivors are at full health meaning they can outrun the tank. It also completely trivializes the horde.

I agree, but the answer is not for survivors to run around and refrain from sitting in corners. The answer is to introduce a mechanic that counters this.

Until then, finales won't be quite as exciting as they could be.

Figgy on
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Figgy wrote: »
    I agree, but the answer is not for survivors to run around and refrain from sitting in corners. The answer is to introduce a mechanic that counters this.

Until then, finales won't be quite as exciting as they could be.

Yeah, I'd personally like to see them patch the big problem spots, the ramp and elevator closet, and then introduce a new infected type that discourages that behavior.

I'm thinking something like a melee smoker that drops a poison cloud.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    PS: job's vs. server can now be joined from the lobby. The lobby host has to go into console and type sv_search_key wang, and start the server search as usual. If nobody's already on job's, then you should automatically be directed to his server.

Type sv_search_key "" to unload the 'job's only' filter.

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

The point of the ramp (I thought) is to own the tank with 4 autoshottie survivors who never vacate, so that the tank gets shot down before he can deal more than one or two punches.

If people are only staying in the ramp just to avoid the horde, then more power to them. I still think it'll be patched out, but it's not really any better than being on the rooftop. They're not near the minigun, they're not near the ammo, and they're not near the health. The infected should hang around until the first tank shows up and then punish anyone who makes a run for it at that point.

Hockey Johnston on
  • Options
    TwistedFateTwistedFate Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Swing and a miss. On the ramp strategy, you do NOT have to leave the ramp. In fact, if you DO get out from under the ramp, you're a fool. I mean, I'm not a fan of the strategy, but if you're going to do it, at least do the damn thing right.

As for the corner on BH...um...tank can hit them through the wall. Just for future reference.

EDIT: Granted, I mean, that's doesn't help TOO much, but you can still do damage without hitting them.

As for the car/log, I agree that just punching it around shouldn't keep the tank in control, but I do think that if you hit someone with it, you should still maintain control.

That said, as far as I'm concerned, if you're going to hole up in a corner where i know I will be dead before i get within 20 feet of you, I'm not going to feel bad about punching around a log for a while while my team tries to cause enough of a distraction. I know the control bar is meant to force the tank to attack instead of waiting to set a trap for the survivors, but the tank is supposed to be one of the scariest things in the game, and at the point where bunching up in a corner=tank death before he can even get close to you, I'm fine with the tank screwing around.

As for issues to fix grouping together, maybe make the smoker's smoke toxic. Or make a new infected class that causes harm if you stay in a certain area too long.

Although frankly, I'd rather they buff the smoker and witch before they do ANYTHING else.

TwistedFate on
    thIs fOrUm dEsErvEs A bEttEr clAss Of OttEr, And I'm gOnnA gIvE It tO 'Em. yOU'll sEE, I'll shOw yA
  • Options
    dmaurodmauro Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Did Steam just go down for everyone? I heard some complains in the chat room about achievements being weird and then I got disconnected and can't reconnect.

edit: additionally, I get "Error verifying humanity" when trying to log in to steamcommunity.com.

dmauro on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    dmauro wrote: »
    Did Steam just go down for everyone? I heard some complains in the chat room about achievements being weird and then I got disconnected and can't reconnect.

edit: additionally, I get "Error verifying humanity" when trying to log in to steamcommunity.com.

Yep down for me

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah Steam is down for me. D:

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ReaganReagan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    dmauro wrote: »

Yep down for me

Me as well. It gave me a weird message when trying to play versus it said something like:

"Versus takes for granted some level of competency. We recommend you play in campaign mode at least once."

I bitch-slapped my monitor.

Reagan on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    wat?

so i can't play at all until steam comes back? fuck.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    wat?

Steam is up, Friends and Community is down. Your games work fine.

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Abloo abloo abloo sometimes people get tanks in different places and at different times. Abloo abloo abloo.

Abloo abloo abloo one team got one more witch than us(this doesn't happen ever stop making stuff up) abloo abloo abloo

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    dmaurodmauro Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    wat?

Steam is up, Friends and Community is down. Your games work fine.
    Actually, all of Steam was down for me. It's back up now, but I couldn't play Left 4 Dead except in single player.

dmauro on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I am disappointed in the hunter's pounce and how sometimes it latches on to people and sometimes it does whatever the hell it wants. I'm sick of hitting people in the chest and not pouncing them...and aiming at people helping incapped survivors and hitting the incapped one without fail. Smoker's tongue is starting to annoy me as well, with its 'oh, the circle is red but NO GRAB FOR YOU' thing it's got going on, since as far as I know you can't melee a tongue off yourself and that seems to be happening frequently (that or the tongue isn't as taut as it should be and just drapes over edges and breaks itself or something).

...and the boomer and smoker not being able to use their abilities the moment you spawn. That half-second delay is killing me here, literally.

In other news, the health kits in Death Toll's finale aren't randomized like other levels. There's always a health kit in the bathroom, in the little shed, and in the shack (along with some pills) by the finale house - even on expert.

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • Options
    SuMa.LustreSuMa.Lustre Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    I was not in this game but apparently someone was drunk and giving hunter advice, encouraging his teammates (in a whispering voice) to "slash slash" with the hunter. Lustre then started saying "slash slash" a lot and now it is code with my friends to say "slash slash" to ask if someone wants to play L4D. Or over voice chat when we've done like 50 damage with hunter swipes.

it's shlash shlash, and it wasn't someone drunk, that was just iowa

SuMa.Lustre on
  • Options
    HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

In other news, the health kits in Death Toll's finale aren't randomized like other levels. There's always a health kit in the bathroom, in the little shed, and in the shack (along with some pills) by the finale house - even on expert.

Not quite, it's a pretty good chance (I'd say somewhere around 80-90%) but there's been times where they don't spawn

Hitsuraptor on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

heh. heh.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Abloo abloo abloo sometimes people get tanks in different places and at different times. Abloo abloo abloo.

Abloo abloo abloo one team got one more witch than us(this doesn't happen ever stop making stuff up) abloo abloo abloo

what say you about one team getting a tank and one not, hmm?

MrDelish on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Same thing.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's kind of hard to coordinate, but I guess here works well enough. WSDX and I were thinking about a campaign match. Vs if we have enough people, but I doubt that due to the lack of a chat room. I've got a lobby open if you want to join.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    guarguar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    LavaKnight wrote: »
    It's kind of hard to coordinate, but I guess here works well enough. WSDX and I were thinking about a campaign match. Vs if we have enough people, but I doubt that due to the lack of a chat room. I've got a lobby open if you want to join.

I don't know how to join specific lobbies without the group chat/friend list, so..

ed: Nevermind, Steam community is back up.

guar on