As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Recording Guitar

SpackleSpackle Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok here's my scenario:
Want to record my guitar playing so I can play over them and pretend to be cool. Just bedroom use, no live playing.

Dilemma:
My desktop PC is shitty and I don't plan on getting a new one for a long time since my laptop does everything I need (Dell Inspirion 9300).

Options:
I'm new to this, but i've heard great things about the Digitech JamMan which is basically a pedal that you can use to sample yourself then loop it. I think it also has a USB interface to upload riffs onto my comp. Cool!

Cept it's $300 and I hear there are much cheaper solutions to do the same thing using something like a TasCam US-122:
http://www.tascam.com/Products/US-122.html which is $100 cheaper and possibly more effective.

Basically, does anyone have JamMan-eqsue experience (I know Boss has the RC-20XL or something like that) or experience with an interface box like the link above? Which would you go with? Firsthand experience NOT from a guitarcenter employee is really what I'm looking for :)

Taco Bell does win the franchise war according to the tome of knowledge that is Demolition Man. However, I've watched Demolition Man more then a few times and never once did I see WoW. In conclusion Taco Bell has more lasting power then WoW.
D&D Metal Thread: HERE
Spackle on

• DaySleeperDaySleeper regular
    edited February 2007
    Your laptop should be good enough to run Audacity. You'd be able to record stuff like basic chord progressions and so forth to play back while you solo over them, which is what I understand your plan to be from your post.

DaySleeper on
    magnum%20pi%20ferrari.jpeg
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • SpackleSpackle Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    DaySleeper wrote:
    Your laptop should be good enough to run Audacity. You'd be able to record stuff like basic chord progressions and so forth to play back while you solo over them, which is what I understand your plan to be from your post.

Hmm everything I've recorded has just sounded awful. I do have Audacity and have used it but my i've not gotten a decent sound from using a mic into the amp.

So possibly a good mic might be good. Suppose I could then just hook up some solid speakers to the lappy. And yes that basically is my plan. Sounds like you're saying the JamMan might be overkill...

I do like that it would be very fast to work with though.

Spackle on
    Taco Bell does win the franchise war according to the tome of knowledge that is Demolition Man. However, I've watched Demolition Man more then a few times and never once did I see WoW. In conclusion Taco Bell has more lasting power then WoW.
  • JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I have 3 things that may fit what you want, A podXTlive, a tape 4 track and a DD20 which acts as a looper.

The POD acts as an amp sim and a soundcard when connected via usb. Similar to the tascam you're looking at. I record using Audicity, I use that most of the time, and its ok for recording vocals as well.

The DD20 is a looper rather like the Jamman, its ok for jamming out a solo over chords, not so much for writing a full song.

So I'd say go with the tascam.

Jeedan on
  • HlubockyHlubocky Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If you have ever listened to Howie Day, then you know he makes extensive use of looping and delay during his live shows. He uses multiple Boss DD5 (now 6) delay pedals as well as the Line 6 DL4 delay modeler for sampling, which has a 14 second memory. I have only played with the DD6, which has a maximum memory of 5 seconds or so. I don't know too much about software, but there is probably some program you can download that will loop something you play over and over to facilitate overdubbing. Also, you really shouldn't be recording from the line-in on your sound card. You should get better recordings using something that brings the input away from your computer, like the usb connector mentioned above.

You can find out more info about Howie's stuff here: http://www.hdaee.f2s.com/v2/rig.htm

Hlubocky on
    edited February 2007
    Awesome, that narrows it between somthing like the TasCam and the JamMan.

What I think I like about the JamMan is that it's portable. I can throw it down, plug it in and go, doing the foot thing to record stuff on the fly. Seems fast as well because of that.

With a computer set up I'll have to have the laptop, set up the recording, record, possibly cropping because my first 'riff' wasn't correct, then load the file into a media player and loop. However It sounds like I'll get more versitility out of the recording interface box and it'll scale better the more I get into guitar playing, if I do get into it, mainly song writing.

Keep the thoughts coming :)

Spackle on
  • Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I use the POD XT for all of my recording goodness. Lots of different amp models built in so you don't have to worry about buying a good microphone and get a lot of uncontrollable feedback. They also have a website where people make their own amp effects and you can download them for free…or just make your own.

Regarding the recording program - I use rifftracker for my basic stuff at home

http://www.zzounds.com/item--LINRIFF

When I want to do serious recording though I go over to my buddies house as he has an entire studio set up with more software than you can shake a stick at.

Romero Zombie on
    steam_sig.png
  • DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Depending on how attached you are to the computer interface, you might also consider the Boomerang Phrase Sampler. I have one and it works quite nicely; it stores quite a lot of sample and is a complete all-in-one footpedal. Its main job is sampling and it has a much bigger buffer than the DL-4. You can get them used on eBay for a few hundred dollars. The downside is that it doesn't really substitute for a delay pedal like the DD-6 or the DL-4.

DrFrylock on
    edited February 2007
    I guess I like the idea of not having to use a computer interface, and just jamming, ya know?

My problem is that if I want to get more serious, will the JamMan suffice or will I be back here in h/a?

I'll take a look at the RiffTracker and the Boomerang

Spackle on
  • ElQuackElQuack Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    My friend uses a J Station to simulate whatever amp or effect he wants and then feeds that striaght into his recorder. It should work for the PC too (assuming you have a decent input), but it also appears to be expensive new. (but I saw some on ebay under 100)

ElQuack on
  • DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Note that, for quite some time, Keller Williams used the Jam Man (well, probably a few of them) as his primary looping apparatus. If it's good enough for Keller...

DrFrylock on
  • javaCatjavaCat Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Shure C01U usb mic. Sound quality is amazing for 80, needs no amp, and runs through usb. Its plenty big, again sounds great.
    Audacity, good simple audio editor, complatible with the mic.

You may be put off on usb mics, but trust me this one sounds amazing and is simple. Look up some reviews theyre pretty unanamous.

javaCat on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    don't they have those guitars now with USB ports and whatnot? A bit expensive, I've been told. I hear it's cheaper to just buy adapters and whatnot.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • DaySleeperDaySleeper regular
    edited February 2007
    I wasn't sure what kind of guitar setup you had when I suggested Audacity. I have a cheapy electric -> Digitech RP-100 -> line in. If you're using a mic on an acoustic then Audacity is probably not for you. If you're amping an electric and your amp has a line out or even a headphone jack (not as good), then you could go straight into the computer.

DaySleeper on
    magnum%20pi%20ferrari.jpeg
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
    edited February 2007
    electric setup:
    noob strat into a blues Jr, sometimes I put a Boss ds-1 or digitech death metal petal in front of it. The boss gives me some really killer tones, I'm surprised what that little 40 dollar pedal can do.

Any how no line out or headphone jack on the jr :(

Honestly I am leaning towards the JamMan mainly because of it's pick up and play ability.

edit: I won't be making a purchase anytime soon, at least another couple of weeks so it gives me plenty of time to research all of your suggestions.

Spackle on
  • AximAxim Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    i use a guitarport its a cheaper version of line 6's toneport and it's done me really well, i use it with guitar rig 2 and you get some pretty wicked sounds out of it. recording's crystal, ran me $100 US

Axim on