As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

iTunes and album art importing

SteevLSteevL What can I do for you?Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm giving my fiancee an iPod for Christmas and I'm going to preload a bunch of music on it. This means installing iTunes, which I've never used before. I just installed it and am annoyed at how it didn't find art for over 100 albums. I figured there'd be some sort of automated program to help with this sort of thing, but the only thing I can find is this, which won't extract properly.

Anyone know of any other related programs that will do this for me?

edit: I should also point out that just about all these albums do have art on my computer already via Windows Media Player. I just want them to show up in iTunes for when I do the big transfer.

SteevL on

• CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've been messing with MediaMonkey off and on, and it works quite well. The only problem that I've seen so far is that it won't do it automatically. You have to manually do it.

Again, I haven't really sat down with it to try, so there may be some way to automate it.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hm, do I not need iTunes to transfer mp3s to an iPod? Can I use Windows Media Player? I'm pretty ignorant about Apple's stuff.

SteevL on
  • GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Isn't there an option to do it when you right click on a track?

It won't find them if the album title isn't right or it's a label that won't sign with Apple.

Glaeal on
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I believe MediaMonkey will transfer to iPods, but the main reason I mentioned it is it'll save the album art to the music folder on your computer, and iTunes should be able to read from it. It might also write the cover to the tag itself, but I'm not sure about that.

Honestly, iTunes is going to be the defacto iPod interface. I use MediaMonkey only for tagging and cover art, honestly.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    When itunes can't find artwork I've always had to do it by hand. I'll look for the artwork in a google image search, open it up and right click > copy. Then select all the songs for a particular album, right click on them and select get info. Then paste the artwork in the album artwork box.

If you can't find a way to do them all en masse you might have to do it the long way.

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2008
    Yeah doing what blackbeard described (though I use an Amazon search bar) I tagged a few hundred albums in a couple of hours.

Organichu on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh well. Guess I'll just have to suck it up and do it the long way. It's a shame that the program I linked to seems to be zipped up incorrectly.

SteevL on
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Don't know how much it will help you, but remember in iTunes you can shift-click and edit multiple songs' info at the same time.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • FuzzywhaleFuzzywhale Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ive been using this programme and it works rather well: http://www.unrealvoodoo.org/hiteck/projects/albumart/

it will tag all the songs in an album for you, and browses several sites like amazon, yahoo and let you select the pictures you'd like for the album cover.

Fuzzywhale on