As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PHOTO] Bells! Batman Smells!

• yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    We don't spoil here.

Also, on the software front, anyone have suggestions for something that could easily be run on a flash drive for viewing raw files? The two main goals of this are for it to not require installing(should run right off a .exe), and to minimize writing to the device it is on as much as physically possible. It doesn't even need any level of editing ability, just viewing with current settings and saving as .jpg would be all I'd need. Lightweight is better, of course(in terms of how much juice it'll need to run worth a damn), but the main thing is simply being able to run it and run it without killing the flash drive into tiny little pieces.

yalborap on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    heh, I just saw the "Please do not spoiler your photos" on the first page. Oh well.

projectmayhem on
  • Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    muninn wrote: »
    Ok, i might have asked this question before, but I have been searching for an answer everywhere and I just cant find it. Basically, I adore how preview on a mac renders my NEF files, but for the love of god, I cant replicate it in lightroom. Anyone has any tips?

Lightroom will not render NEF files true to your in-camera settings. There are some beta camera profiles that can get pretty close, but the only way to get a true color-representative rendering of Nikon's RAW format is through Nikon's proprietary software. Which is one of the biggest stumbling blocks in my work flow, every time I have to open up Capture NX.

Uncle Long on
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Some cliche "pet" shots, just messing around waiting for dinner to get finished.

3124351398_9f6d89c542_o.jpg

3123524817_fa97fa856d_o.jpg

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Never participated in one of these, but the past semester I've been taking a photography class and have enjoyed it quite a bit. figured I might as well post some.

opensmall.jpg

this one has some pretty obvious photoshop work

LIGHTSMALL.jpg

and this one has none, but needs some cropping. I'm just a little unsure of how much to crop

Vann Diras on
  • muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It seems that when you try to photograph a death metal concert, the best you can hope for is a whole lot of hair. Wild, untamed, hair.

3124650600_556b1ee205.jpg

3123822165_62f03abd67.jpg

3123822541_718b0233a2.jpg

3124651108_12d0261369.jpg

3124647828_a39fecc2b8.jpg

@UncleLong : I see. So the apple preview actually uses the camera settings, while that info does not get translated by LR? I just wasnt sure what the preview (on apple, pick a file and tap spacebar) uses as a rendering template.

muninn on
  • Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think the second to last shot could be a good square crop taking in the bottom of the frame. There's nothing of interest at the top.

Jake! on
  • spazmojackspazmojack Hangin on the corner of 52nd and BroadwayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    i haven't posted around much at all and this is my first time in the photo thread; seeing a lot of these shots (which are excellent!) inspired me to put up a few of my own.

i like to skateboard, as does my friend BE, he's much better than i am so here's some shots of him kicking it in a minipark:

DSC_2379.JPG

DSC_2507.JPG

critiques/monstermashes welcome.

spazmojack on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't like the cropping on the right side, I think it would be better if his whole arm was in it. Besides that: awesome action shots.

Aldo on
  • spazmojackspazmojack Hangin on the corner of 52nd and BroadwayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    yeah, cropping (or lack thereof, no post processing involved) isn't the greatest. we had fun though, and i thought it was decent for a basic D40 setup.

spazmojack on
  • FlyingmanFlyingman Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Vann Diras: I really like this first one, minor adjustments in photoshop or lightroom is definitely not a bad thing, it's the beauty of digital photography.

muninn: And you definitely did a fine job of capturing their hair :p Again, great shots. It looks pretty bright for a metal gig though, were you using speedlights?

I've got a few here today, nothing special and again, black and white. Today wasn't supposed to be a black and white shoot, but it was overcast and everything was fairly dull.

The only one I liked out of today's shoot.
    wheel.jpg

Which one? I'm partial to the second one, this area is an area I will be travelling to with a model and basic lighting in a few weeks as part of a series I'm working on.
    underpass.jpg

runningman.jpg

I liked this, it looked bleak, there are often many more riders, but today nobody was out.
    rider.jpg

This is just a snapshot, but I liked it enough to post.
    snapshot1.jpg

Update: redux'd a few shots.

underpass-colour.jpg

runningcolour.jpg

neighbourly.jpg

lowclearance.jpg

Flyingman on
    PAsig-1.gif
  • JonisJonis Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Jake! wrote: »
    I think the second to last shot could be a good square crop taking in the bottom of the frame. There's nothing of interest at the top.

:^:

Jonis on
  • JAmp5JAmp5 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Flyingman:

1. Nice, the tones suit the image
    2. Definitely the second image, unless you want your focal point to be that corner (unless you're putting a model there)
    3. Yep, little too dark for me maybe a bit heavy on the vignetting
    4. I like it, it's difficult to compose structures that are higher on one side than the other, usually shooting a subject straight suits parallel lines but it doesn't irk me too much on this
    5. Doesn't do much for me but if you like it that’s cool, there's a few images I take that have some quality that I like that others can't see
    6. Looking forward to see it with model
    7. Too heavy on the processing but the palette is great
    8. My fav of the bunch, loads of atmosphere and a great palette. Maybe too heavy on the Vignetting again try lowering the amount and upping the midpoint to get a more natural looking result. The subject matter reminds me of Sarajevo or the Ukraine because of the way you have shot and processed it
    9. Again bit harsh on the processing and a slightly uncomfortable crop but all the atmosphere of the previous

ED!: 2nd is great :D

Vann Diras: 1st is nice, 2nd is seriously dull :P but that's a perfectly acceptable crop

Muninn: 1 and 2 are particularly great because of the quality of light, the last isn't as effective because you are so aware of the light source. Really professional job though :^:

spazmojack: First is a great capture, annoying about the hand :(

<3

JAmp5 on
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Those hair metal shots are awesome. They should be using them in some sort of print/webspace capacity.

EDIT: I just had to share this moment of stupidity. So I just purchased a Canon Pixma 9000 wide format printer for those rare times I want 13X19 print. I open the box and slap some paper in and proceed to do a test print. I was at first curious about the cardboard quality of the paper that I bought but figured "Eh, they know what they are doing." So I do a print, and it comes out a watercolor MESS. I start panicking "OH GOD NO!". I think "Have I been grifted on Craigslist?" I think, maybe it's the 13x19 size. So I print a regular 4X6. Comes out perfect. Well what the heck? I figure, ok lets try one more, maybe it was warming up, reach into the box of paper - and pull out a super glossy sheet. "What the hell. . ." Apparently, the first paper, was the cardboard backing. :( Suffice to say, I have corrected my error. This makes me now not take HP's "Paper Sense" for granted, that will inform you if there is a non-standard sheet of paper in the tray. Do'h.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited December 2008
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    Never participated in one of these, but the past semester I've been taking a photography class and have enjoyed it quite a bit. figured I might as well post some.

LIGHTSMALL.jpg

and this one has none, but needs some cropping. I'm just a little unsure of how much to crop

Large streetlights/parking lot light photos are becoming pretty overdone. The first one is nice, but since you're seemingly new to photography, I'd warn to be careful of falling into the 'ooh this old rusty thing is neat I'll take a photo of it' thing.

bombardier on
  • needOpticneedOptic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So I just found out how horribly compressed all pictures uploaded to PicasaWeb are.
    Edit: a web compressed (75) image of 200kb gets shrunken down to 40kb when uploaded.

Gonna move my shit to flickr and get the pro account.

And I'm with Bombs on the street light.

Edit: I like the hair pics, too. Good stuff.

needOptic on
  • TiniTini Slippy PARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Proto wrote: »
    So I was just given an old Pentax S1a. Fantastic condition. The filter is a little banged up but the lens underneath is perfect. Woo!

I'd like to run some black and white film through it, but I know nothing about film. What are the good brands?

I'm an Ilford fan boy, manly due to my photography professor.

Tini on
    Do a barrel roll.
    edited December 2008
    3126425414_2b099bc45c.jpg

3126430958_eb3e2822af.jpg

3125614807_d58c6777ce.jpg

3125602063_7d7e7ecedc.jpg

3126440270_fec543074d.jpg

3126448356_2d0c9bbe46.jpg

3125621121_fe02127380.jpg

3126451448_67da68ba93.jpg

3126452728_4583ab113b.jpg

3126481674_1ddbfbe7d2.jpg

3126458380_05f294e067.jpg

needOptic on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

It's a Stig factory! :O

Aldo on
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    bombardier wrote: »
    Vann Diras wrote: »

LIGHTSMALL.jpg

Large streetlights/parking lot light photos are becoming pretty overdone. The first one is nice, but since you're seemingly new to photography, I'd warn to be careful of falling into the 'ooh this old rusty thing is neat I'll take a photo of it' thing.

yeah, unfortunately I don't own a camera of my own. I use the one supplied by the school, and as such I have the inside of the building and area immediately outside available to me

there are only so many things to take pictures of

Vann Diras on
    edited December 2008
    needOptic wrote: »

3126430958_eb3e2822af.jpg

3125614807_d58c6777ce.jpg

3125602063_7d7e7ecedc.jpg

3126440270_fec543074d.jpg

3126448356_2d0c9bbe46.jpg

3125621121_fe02127380.jpg

antiBOTP

needOptic on
  • SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    crits and comments plz:

3126766646_1b767a1f89.jpg

3126758934_9abf6221a4.jpg

3111532457_5ecfefd082_b.jpg

3126745364_6b7557876d.jpg

3126761040_734d58a04d_b.jpg

all of these are on

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andreismith if you want to see a dif res

Sueve on
    edited December 2008
    Sueve wrote: »
    crits and comments plz:

Give and thou shalt recieve, my main crit would be the contrast in the panoramic shot, with these shots you are trying to show scope, yet there is a lot of detail lost to the contrast.

Today I took it upon myself to take pictures of the trunks of palm trees. Sadly, CMYK killed a lot of the vibrance, use your imagination.

bamboomac1.jpg

bamboomac2.jpg

bamboomega.jpg

Update, more photos, woo.

leaf1.jpg

leaf2.jpg

leaf3.jpg

Flyingman on
    PAsig-1.gif
    edited December 2008
    Those leaves and trunks make very nice abstracts. They would look good on the wall in threes. (horizontally)

needOptic on
    edited December 2008
    Those leaves and trunks make very nice abstracts. They would look good on the wall in threes. (horizontally)

See I was thinking vertically?

Flyingman on
    PAsig-1.gif
  • phiglitphiglit Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Darn'd near brand new member here, but avid follower of photography in general.

Here is a pic that I took a little bit ago. The lighting is fairly easy to discern. Single light camera right with a large shoot-through umbrella. I was trying to show off the jewelry and make it the focus of the shot. I tried to use the over-all darker tonality high in the frame to drop your eyes down to the lighter and less contrasting tones in the lower portion of the picture. I know that the big button in the lower right part of the picture is distracting, but what I was attempting to do was have three points of interest in the shot. The lips, necklace, and button. The necklace being the center one makes your eye linger there more, while still having a wandering tendency. That was what i was trying to do anyway. Impressions?
    _MG_1123.jpg

phiglit on
    edited December 2008
    Flyingman wrote: »

Btw - why CMYK for posting on the web? And I like that you exposed for the highlights.

needOptic on
    edited December 2008

Btw - why CMYK for posting on the web? And I like that you exposed for the highlights.

These are for print, these are just the finished products.

Flyingman on
    PAsig-1.gif
  • PenpalPenpal Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Uh!
    uh!
    I haven't posted in a long time because school has eaten up a lot of my photo time, but I have a quick question... running windows, how the eff do I get LR Mogrify to work?!

I try to find the .lrplugin file within the manager, but there isn't a file... help.

Penpal on
    Kevin+Coffey.png
    edited December 2008

antiBOTP

These are fantastic! I love the lighting in the black and white shots, did you set any of that up? Or just spontaneous portraits?

A quickie from me.
    mirrorouttahere.jpg

Flyingman on
    PAsig-1.gif
    edited December 2008
    These are fantastic! I love the lighting in the black and white shots, did you set any of that up? Or just spontaneous portraits?

A quickie from me.
    mirrorouttahere.jpg

Nice, although I am having trouble actually seeing anything due to the under exposed nature of it.

Hurray snow... suck.
    _MG_1677.jpg
    _MG_1662.jpg

phiglit on
    edited December 2008
    phiglit wrote: »

A quickie from me.
    mirrorouttahere.jpg

Nice, although I am having trouble actually seeing anything due to the under exposed nature of it.

Tested on three monitors with seperate colour profiles, is your monitor set up right?

I like your second one, the highlights are blown in the first one, this doesn't do much for the image, there is a lot of missing detail. The second image is soft, I love the colours.

Flyingman on
    PAsig-1.gif
    edited December 2008
    phiglit wrote: »

A quickie from me.
    mirrorouttahere.jpg

Tested on three monitors with seperate colour profiles, is your monitor set up right?

I like your second one, the highlights are blown in the first one, this doesn't do much for the image, there is a lot of missing detail. The second image is soft, I love the colours.

The areas which were blown were not the portions that i wanted to emphasize, which is why I felt ok to over expose the snow and sky. They are also SOOC, so I didn't do any post processing to them.

I know that the monitor I am using sucks nuts actually. It isn't my normal viewing environment (at work in front of a solaris machine, instead of my home machine).

phiglit on
    edited December 2008

A quickie from me.

Thanks. That's what was so great about them - they had spotlights at the bar for lighting, and some people just seemed to "glow". I post processed them in lightroom and tweaked the subject isolation and removed some bright spots from other light sources.

For some reason I keep thinking that's a shield on the left side of your photo. :lol: Where's the spear?

phiglit - the picture (flying's) is exposed properly. It's just a low key scene. As far as two of your shorts - the second is the better of the two.

Edit: flying - what do you do with your prints? Do you store them somewhere? Hang them up?

needOptic on
  • muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Man this thread moves fast.

@Jake!: I thought about doing a square crop of the lower part of that picture, but it came out too busy. i wanted to contrast that sea of hair at the bottom with dead space at the top of the frame, but I guess it might not have worked as I expected.

@Flyingman: Yeah I used and off camera strobe, bounced off the ceiling for lighting. The venue is a very dark church basement, so shooting it in available light was not an option.

And thanks all for the encouraging remarks. :)

Onto others:
    NeedOptic: love the pictures, but the 3rd one from the top is giving me a slight vertigo. Was it shot with an ultrawide lens, or are those two drivers leaning slightly in opposite directions? I might be seeing things.

Flyingman: Love the colors of that picture, but the right side being slightly out of focus is harshing picture's zen. Thats a technical term.

muninn on
    edited December 2008
    muninn wrote: »
    Onto others:
    NeedOptic: love the pictures, but the 3rd one from the top is giving me a slight vertigo. Was it shot with an ultrawide lens, or are those two drivers leaning slightly in opposite directions? I might be seeing things.

24mm. I'm also taller than them so maybe it's the angle combined with the 24mm.

A couple without a theme - just snapping around:

Santa Fire Engine

3127143878_e47845a328.jpg

Another pet shot.

3126315187_9668f07b6e.jpg

needOptic on
  • BoxBox Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Drinking hot tea out in the snow

tonycuphdrweb.jpg

Box on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Does anyone subscribe to any photography magazines? I'm mostly interested in ones that focus on technique and workflow than equipment reviews.

tofu on
    edited December 2008
    Box wrote: »
    Drinking hot tea out in the snow

What's with the saturation on his face? Looks over processed.

needOptic on
    edited December 2008
    Man, you know what's fantastic? I've been searching photography forums for anything decent, but I always come back here, there are more "pros" in this thread than most dedicated photography forums. It seems like every other forum just splintered from deviantart. Eg. "OMG that flower macro is sooooo pretty! Did you add the sparkles in photoshop?"

Just thought I would drop by and boost everyone's ego :p But really, if you know any decent photography forums, for the love of god let me know. Some of the magazine forums would be worth checking out maybe?

Needoptic, these photos are being printed specifically for decoration in a studio I'm building.

Flyingman on
    PAsig-1.gif
This discussion has been closed.