As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PHOTO] Bells! Batman Smells!

• saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I love the Bamboo shots, Flyingman. Great color palette.

Camping near Mono Lake
    mono.jpg

We were a bunch of nerdy city kids pretending to be hicks.
    camping.jpg

camping1.jpg

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    nO, the racing shots are great. Great ambience without sacrificing sharpness in the bar shots and the lighting with the drivers is top notch. I’m not particularly fond of the WB swing between the shot of the balanced coffee cup and the next one of the girl - if they’re going to be seen together, I’d rather have matching colours. The “just snapping around” shots are, in both cases, lovely. That kitty’s eye really grabs you and the bokeh is delicious.

Sueve, #2 would be better with a tighter crop. Cut out the light on the right and the concrete barrier from the light onward on the left. As it is these only serve to distract the eye from the person, and the single crossing alarm will serve to provide a good sense of scale to the image.

The silhouette is nice, but there’s not really enough interesting stuff in the foreground to keep it around. I’d much prefer the image without the trees on the left, which distract from the sunset and, as it’s a silhouette and doesn’t provide any separation between foreground elements, messes with the scale of the image. It would feel much more massive without the trees.

The last portrait just has too much flare. Between that and the subject being entirely too dark, I’d reconsider reshooting with a hood and fewer filters on the lens and some proper fill.

Flyingman, the trees: I love the textures in the second image. Top notch. The others all seem a bit underexposed, with the exception of #1. The stairwell took three views spaced over several hours and a good five minutes of figuring to determine what exactly it is a photo of. Including at least one step in the nearest stairwell might help, but I still find the framing awkward. The middle bit is really nice, though.

phiglit, the jewelry: it’s good but dear god crop that cleaved, underexposed, out of focus face out. Make it a portrait of from just below the chin to perhaps a little above the button (which is getting nicked by the frame) and it’s lovely and soft. As for the snow, it’s all lacking contrast and is overexposed in the first shot and underexposed in the second. Subjects are kind of blah anyways, though. If you want to reshoot the second, which could be nice, move to landscape orientation and try to keep stuff from falling over the edge of your frame (like that poor decapitated tree).

Box, holy contrast Batman! It’s a touch high. Your shadows have turned into globs of black and your snow globs of white. The fellow’s skin has also suffered, as he appears to be glowing red. On the bright side, I really like the image and if you crank the PP down a few notches it could be a rather nice photograph.

tofu, I’ve only read a few issues but I’m picking up a subscription to JPG magazine. It’s gorgeously printed and filled with good images as well as workflow and some gear discussion. Pick up a copy and see how you fancy it.

salti, that is a really nice image of the lake. Might you try something like a 20x8 crop? I’m a sucker for really wide angle crops, but I think that image would really pop with slightly less foreground and a bit of the sky knocked off.

I went shooting at a local university with a friend I recently introduced to photography the other day. It was terribly cold so we stayed inside but much fun was still had. Photos, please rip apart as you please.

3129726204_d04a79ab05.jpg

3129725786_9cd9be20bd.jpg

3128897081_0077d80f49.jpg

3129724712_2f639f818f.jpg

3128896045_427ffcb99a.jpg

Friend with his D50 on my tripod:

3128895243_f6f4310401.jpg

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • needOpticneedOptic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dark Moon wrote: »

Thanks. Yeah, fudged the wb on that one. Not sure why I went with the semi sepia stuff.

Your architectural shots are great. I need to get my tripod out and do something similar... so used to handheld low light photography that I forget how much fun can a deep DOF be.

1 / 2 / 4 stand out.

The ceiling with holes is very matrix / night watch / day watch. :lol:

Pretty wide on those shots. 17mm? I don't see exif on your flickr. While on topic, I'm going to add you to my contact over there.

needOptic on
    edited December 2008
    Thanks! I set Lightroom to export with minimal EXIF data for some reason a while back and forgot to set it back to include that stuff. I'll replace that stuff with the same image with EXIF data in a minute. Most everything was shot at 10mm (equiv 15mm on my sensor), which I love despite the funky distortion in the corners.

Dark Moon on
    edited December 2008
    That explains it.

needOptic on
  • GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    New hat! Hooray for early Christmas gifts.

Beeswax
    3130342232_780d8a11d5.jpg

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • BoxBox Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    needOptic wrote: »
    Box wrote: »
    Drinking hot tea out in the snow

What's with the saturation on his face? Looks over processed.

I've been going through a nasty color explosion phase. I need to stop.

Box on
  • FlyingmanFlyingman Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Really wasn't on the ball today, went out with downhill bikers again, these are my favourites.

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0014-1.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

Really like those wide shots too Moon.

Flyingman on
    PAsig-1.gif
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So, uh, quick question.

Where would you guys look to get some models for a portrait idea free/retardedly cheap? I've got some ideas, but they require several people.

yalborap on
    edited December 2008
    yalborap wrote: »
    So, uh, quick question.

Where would you guys look to get some models for a portrait idea free/retardedly cheap? I've got some ideas, but they require several people.

For free? Well models looking for portfolio shots might be able to help, otherwise friends and family.

Flyingman on
    PAsig-1.gif
    edited December 2008
    Flyingman wrote: »
    So, uh, quick question.

For free? Well models looking for portfolio shots might be able to help, otherwise friends and family.

Well damn, that strips out most of my potential choices.

I might be able to rig something together, though. One idea should be pretty easy. It's going to be the bigger one that's harder, but that one will need to wait for spring anyways.

yalborap on
  • sonictksonictk Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dark Moon wrote: »
    3128897081_0077d80f49.jpg
    Is that a peep hole? Whatever it is it's awesome, especially the light rays and the image overall gives off a Silent Hill vibe to me.

Also nO brilliant race portraits, the spotlighting really works but where are all the cars? :P

@flyingman: Those biking shots feel =\ to me except maybe the 3rd and 4th, but what really bugs me is the overuse of vignetting I think. It flattens the contrast a lot and doesn't really help to draw attention to the subject in this case imo.

Anyway, I just bought a roll of Fuji neopan 400 for my f-301 and I'll be heading out tomorrow afternoon to finish it up. For those of you who still work with this medium, is it possible for me to ask my developer (I have no idea what they are actually called btw) whether they could scan the negatives for me and burn them onto a CD instead of making prints? I'm thinking it would be cheaper, actually, seeing as how I don't want prints anyway.

Or is it also possible to ask for just the negatives, without anything else? I have a flatbed scanner at home. (it's no film scanner, but hey, this is just a one-off thing I guess)

Additionally, should I just attempt to develop it myself? I've never done it before (I know sorta-kinda the theory behind it I guess) but since this is probably going to be very infrequent (I love my D50) would it even be cost-effective?

E: Eh, should probably post something before I go. Some shots that I liked, but forgot to touch up until yesterday.

dsc00142bi9.jpg

dsc0019gs0.jpg

dsc0022em4.jpg

I'm not sure about the post-pro on this one. Especially with regards to the cropping and brightness/contrast. Is it too dark/are the lines at the edges too distracting?
    dsc0036cl9.jpg

Also bokeh sunset shot! I haven't done one of these bokeh shots in quite a while.
    dsc0038iu4.jpg

sonictk on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sonic, I think that's a small chandelier or some other wall-mounted lamp. :P

Lots of great photos over the past few pages, I can't think of anything sensible to say about them other than "way cool!"

Aldo on
    edited December 2008
    Flyingman wrote: »
    DSC_0013.jpg

Good shot

needOptic on
    edited December 2008
    Flyingman, that last shot of the fellow sliding through a corner is brilliant. sonic, that's actually a chandelier that I was laying below. I like yours rather a lot. You could develop your own film, but you need to buy some equipment (or a lot of equipment if you want to print it as well). In addition, a flatbed scanner will not produce a useable scan unless yours has a specific photo-scanning feature with a lamp in the lid of the scanner and a plastic insert to place your film in (and even then, it'll only look okay). You could get them to scan it instead of making prints, though it tends to cost a lot of they're doing a proper drum-scan (as drum scanners are 20k+ and take a while to do scans).

I have one last shot from the university. I shot a panorama of a couple lockers. It's a fairly long image, so the thumbnail is rather small.

3130968119_5bb0e58caa.jpg

Dark Moon on
  • VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    All of my medium format scans are done on a flatbed scan with a holder and the lamp in the lid.... I think they look a little more than "ok" - I'd go so far as to say they are better than the $30 dollar scan I paid for at the lab (not a drum scan).

I mean if you plan on doing a huge enlargement get a drum scan, but for your standard 8x10 it should be fine.

Of course I am scanning medium format which is more forgiving than 35 since it's a bigger medium.

Virum on
    edited December 2008
    Uploading stuff to flickr and I don't think I've ever posted these from my Nice trip.

3131472467_5402571f10.jpg

3132304718_6684040ab1.jpg

3132308500_9cca36c0cb.jpg

needOptic on
  • JonisJonis Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've printed 24x30 from flatbed scans and the results looked pretty fantastic. The only problems were with the ink, I think it was an older printer so it showed bronzing from a certain angle.

Jonis on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    How big is a reasonable max size that I can order prints of with my 6.1MP d50 shots

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited December 2008
    After 8x12 it really starts pushing it.

Virum on
    edited December 2008
    needOptic: I really like the shadows in that last one, can't really crit much, they are nice travel photos.
    sonictk: I really like the bokeh shot for some reason, the texture and lighting in the second one is great as well. The shot with the birds might work with a better crop.

Merry Christmas everyone one. Here something not quite in the spirit of things.

atwork.jpg

Flyingman on
    PAsig-1.gif
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Virum wrote: »
    After 8x12 it really starts pushing it.
    Figured so much. Was just wondering because my room is boringly bland. Some prints is a much better way to decorate than lame ass posters probably.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Crassula 'Tom Thumb'

IMG_7383.jpg

Also, spider-web

IMG_7399.jpg

erisian pope on
  • spazmojackspazmojack Hangin on the corner of 52nd and BroadwayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Also, spider-web

i totally dig the spiderweb, that's such a gnarly shot.

spazmojack on
  • UberslugUberslug Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Great spiderweb, pope!

I did more shots for Kabuto the Python (a local rapper/friend). Unfortunately, these were at night and I don't have strobes or anything like that so I had to make due with what I had. The theme was hats.

kabuto2001ii7.jpg

kabuto2012v2on3.jpg

kabuto2005vj4.jpg

kabuto2016fm3.jpg

kabuto2025yx1.jpg

kabuto2034yn1.jpg

kabuto2038aq4.jpg

Uberslug on
    edited December 2008

spider web

Very nice. It's so crisp I want to drink the water.

Edit: a couple during Christmas

3137622378_b1e549c505.jpg

Wifey (shooting wide open and the damn lens focused on the right eye - left is slightly blurry. lol)

3136805383_4483ec7a97.jpg

3136804863_a70d314306.jpg

Sisters

3136806417_ba598fab7c.jpg

HAM!

3136807741_3261dacea6.jpg

3137636796_d2d7908ed1.jpg

needOptic on
    edited December 2008
    Uberslug wrote: »
    I did more shots for Kabuto the Python (a local rapper/friend). Unfortunately, these were at night and I don't have strobes or anything like that so I had to make due with what I had. The theme was hats.

I see he got rid of his non-python snake hat. :lol:
    What's with him and the dress up? You sure he's a rapper? Seems like a poser to me.

And the shots aren't that great. To give you criticism - they're not dynamic at all. Background doesn't serve any purpose, looks like you shot them all at eye level, poor lighting.

They're not dramatic at all. You've posted interesting photos before, but it looks like this kabuto character just sucks out any originality or creativity out of you. :lol:

He should change his name to "Boredom the Tortoise".

needOptic on
  • sonictksonictk Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Awesome spiderweb erisian. I love the way it looks so cluttered on first sight but yet the dof helps one from getting too confused.

uberslug I pretty much only like the last one because it just reminds me of metal slug for some reason. Plus that smileeeeee (even if it's a mask)

sonictk on
    edited December 2008
    needOptic wrote: »

I see he got rid of his non-python snake hat. :lol:
    What's with him and the dress up? You sure he's a rapper? Seems like a poser to me.

And the shots aren't that great. To give you criticism - they're not dynamic at all. Background doesn't serve any purpose, looks like you shot them all at eye level, poor lighting.

They're not dramatic at all. You've posted interesting photos before, but it looks like this kabuto character just sucks out any originality or creativity out of you. :lol:

He should change his name to "Boredom the Tortoise".

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. :p

Uberslug on
    edited December 2008

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. :p

8-)

needOptic on
    edited December 2008
    So, uh, holy fuck.

My parents got me the 55-200 Nikkor VR DX lens. It cost them like 300 dollars. I'd just asked for a 50mm prime, and was basically expecting it guaranteed.

You can imagine my shock when I opened the clearly-lens-box-shaped-present and found not a 50mm, but said 55-200.

It makes 55mm seem so WIDE.

I must take it out and practice later.

yalborap on
    edited December 2008
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So, uh, holy fuck.

My parents got me the 55-200 Nikkor VR DX lens. It cost them like 300 dollars. I'd just asked for a 50mm prime, and was basically expecting it guaranteed.

You can imagine my shock when I opened the clearly-lens-box-shaped-present and found not a 50mm, but said 55-200.

It makes 55mm seem so WIDE.

I must take it out and practice later.

Nice but I would still buy a 50 prime if you don't have one. I don't know about the nikon prices but I'm sure you can get a 50/1.8 for around $100. It is my favoritest lens in the whole wide world. (I have a canon 50/1.4 and I use it for all my portraiture work.)

So my parents helped pay for part of a used canon 5d for xmas and I bought a battery grip and bigger faster flash card for it. Can't wait for my next fashion shoot to really test it out.

Some shots from before I left for xmas (on my 10d not the new 5d sadly):
    3101379875_725d239f34_o.jpg

not sure how I feel about this one:
    3101379873_c4db4fc6e7_o.jpg

needOptic: Those were some pretty cool photos of friends at the bar a few pages back.

I would like to comment on more photos but my parents lcd is super suck. So I will wait till I get back home.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    yeaaaus!

got a D60 10 mb cam for christmas/birthday, so excited! You guys are gonna have to see more of me now :-p

3138605985_6b761982a8_b.jpg
    (thats me in his eye!)

3136076553_c90f67472e.jpg
    (my bro)

3136903120_b0f04ee0a8.jpg
    (pops)

3136075987_c5eac74e84.jpg
    (fun)

3136074015_c52f603c76.jpg
    (cool reflection)

3136897646_c09e7f70b5.jpg

crits and comments plz, i want to improve

Sueve on
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sueve wrote: »
    yeaaaus!

got a D60 10 mb cam for christmas/birthday, so excited! You guys are gonna have to see more of me now :-p

We all do this when we first get a good camera. Take close up pictures of eyes, but sadly they are not that interesting as a sole subject. Maybe if you shoot both eyes and crop it it might be more interesting.
    3138605985_6b761982a8_b.jpg
    (thats me in his eye!)

Its good that you are using a flash with a back lit subject. I would crank the shutter speed up a little higher and put the fstop higher so the sky is even darker. You will also have to up the power on the flash. That way the sky will be darker and you'll get more contrast between it and the clouds and more contrast between the subject and the sky.
    3136076553_c90f67472e.jpg
    (my bro)

Meh. Very tight crop and the eye on the left is out of focus. Use a wider DOF by using a higher fstop to get the plane of focus larger enough to include both eyes.
    3136903120_b0f04ee0a8.jpg
    (pops)

This is my favorite of the bunch. I like the placement of the pineapple and sun and the flash you used to light up your brother. If you are really interested in portraiture I would look into getting some flashes to use wirelessly so your flash isn't always on axis with the camera and harsh. Or you could just get an omnibounce (or translucent tupperware container) over the flash to diffuse it more.
    3136075987_c5eac74e84.jpg
    (fun)

Meh. Nothing interesting here.
    3136074015_c52f603c76.jpg
    (cool reflection)

3136897646_c09e7f70b5.jpg

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
    edited December 2008
    Cow, neither of those pics are doing much for me. The environments are nice and the lighting is good, and I will admit that I am biased against them because I really think that model is unattractive.

But the big thing for me is that her hands and expression is killing it for me in both. In the first they look so uncomfortably placed it looks painful (I dunno why since I know that's an easy position to get into but it really looks awkward on her, maybe it's because of her facial expression which looks a bit strained to me.

The other one I really don't like her hands at all either, it's that thing with how her thumb and her finger flow right into each other.... it really bothers me.

Virum on
    edited December 2008
    She has a relatively big nose (not that it's a bad thing in itself), but sideway lighting will exaggerate it even more.

needOptic on
  • erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ok these are cliche, but since I bought my first flash today and can now get closeup indoors with a decent shutterspeed/ISO, here are my cat's eyes:

IMG_7536.jpg

IMG_7538.jpg

Detail cropped at 100% zoom from the above pic:
    IMG_7538_detail.jpg

For those of you keeping score at home, these are from Nico, my male kitty (the black one, obviously).

EDIT: Pic #2 is right-side up from the camera, but it's obviously upside down for reality, my kitty had rolled over belly-up - I think the shot is more dramatic and interesting at this angle, rotated 180 weakens it even if that's more accurate to reality.

erisian pope on
  • SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    3137270352_7ff05dfdb2_o.jpg

Hey UncleLong, I'm going to Alaska in May-June. How rad is that?

Sheri on
  • Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hey UncleLong, I'm going to Alaska in May-June. How rad is that?

That's pretty rad, depending on where you're going. Well, it's probably rad in general, but where are you going?

Uncle Long on
This discussion has been closed.