As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Midsomer Murders (British TV thread)

13»

• Retarded_TurkeyRetarded_Turkey Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've watched the first season of Black Books. It is soo good.

Retarded_Turkey on
    camo_sig.png
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There are two more series of Black Books to watch. Watch them.

Cyvros on
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I can't watch the episode with Simon Pegg

In that he looks and behaves far too much like the worst housemate I ever had

Janson on
  • skinny87skinny87 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The Bill was awesome when it just used to be police car chases and arresting scumbags and the odd dodgy copper 'interrogating' someone. But then it got soap-y - I stopped waitching when Sun Hill was burnt down by the dodgy copper with the shaved head to...remove some evidence? I forget now.

To be fair, it suffers in comparison to the early 90s - with Carver and Burnside and Tosh.

skinny87 on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The thing that really killed it for me was when the writers began playing "let's see how much we can shit on Jim Carver"

-SPI- on
  • Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Janson wrote: »

'Don't eat muffins when I'm developing you'

Mr Bubbles on
    edited December 2008
    I have been forcing Mori to watch Red Dwarf (okay he doesn't take much persuading).

There are just so many classic episodes I can't wait for him to see; the series was really quite inventive.

More MM tonight; I have been watching them on my own but so far I am not scared.

Janson on
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Who here watched Spooks.

Because it was fucking awesome.

Karl on
  • MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

"I know what you're thinking. That guy's young, he's cool, he rides a scooter, he listens to the Stereophonics"

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Do you know what British show I cannot fucking stand? Skins. Fucking awful holy shit.

Prohass on
    edited December 2008
    Prohass wrote: »
    Do you know what British show I cannot fucking stand? Skins. Fucking awful holy shit.

You speak the truth. My friends love it. I hate it with all my heart.

GREAT YOU ALL DO DRUGS NOW SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Karl on
    edited December 2008
    I have never seen it. I don't ever want to.

Have we talked about The IT Crowd yet?

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
    edited December 2008
    No but its also ace. Though i'm a few episodes behind.

Karl on
    edited December 2008
    Yeah. I've missed most of this series but I've been listening to the commentaries on the first two and they're pretty cool. Graham Lineham seems like a pretty nice chap and very critical of his work.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Karl wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »

You speak the truth. My friends love it. I hate it with all my heart.

GREAT YOU ALL DO DRUGS NOW SHUT THE FUCK UP.
    Ive never wanted to strangle so many people in a show. They are all incredibly annoying morons, which would be fine if they also led believable lives and acted like teenagers, which they dont.

I hate hearing it described as edgy and 'pushing the boundaries', 'exploring teenagers in a confronting way' its fucking Home and Away with tits and wilfully stupid characters who get themselves into ridiculous situations seemingly on purpose then wine over and over with random eloquence. I can almost hear the writers keyboards clacking away as the dialogue is pissed out. Its insight into teenage behaviours and the reality of teenage life is about as accurate as Grease or Reefer Madness. God I hate it. I would hate it a lot less if I hadnt been forced to watch and listen to it for an entire week whilst staying at a friends house, his sister was obsessed, she liked Twighlight a whole bunch too, and I honestly prefer Twighlight.

Also yeah the It crowd was ok. Laughs are way to sparse though.

Prohass on
    edited December 2008
    Today's teenagers and teenage issues brought to you by today's thirty year old TV writers.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    MikeRyu wrote: »
    Today's teenagers and teenage issues brought to you by today's thirty year old TV writers.

Sounds like Dawson's Creek...

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Brass Eye was the funniest thing ever put on television.

And yes, Skins is horrible. It's amazing the amount of good reviews it gets.

Diarmuid on
    edited December 2008
    I have been forcing Mori to watch Red Dwarf (okay he doesn't take much persuading).

There are just so many classic episodes I can't wait for him to see; the series was really quite inventive.

More MM tonight; I have been watching them on my own but so far I am not scared.

God I love RD so much.

Up until they really kind of lost their way after season 6.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Silmaril wrote: »

God I love RD so much.

You can blame Rob Grant for that for leaving.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
    edited December 2008

God I love RD so much.

I know.

What a cunt.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
    edited December 2008

God I love RD so much.

I know.

What a cunt.

But his follow up book to Better Than Life was much better than Doug Naylor's one.

So he is both great and terrible at once.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
    edited December 2008
    Karl wrote: »
    Who here watched Spooks.

Because it was fucking awesome.

Was? Spooks is still going. I think they just finished airing the seventh series. I've watched up to the end of the sixth series and yeah, it is fucking awesome.

You know what else was great (and RD is at the top of my list, even after series six)? Life on Mars. It was made even better because of how ABC1 aired it here in Australia - around the same time Simm was Sam Tyler, he was also the Master in Doctor Who. God bless ABC1 and its crazy scheduling.

Cyvros on
    edited December 2008
    Ah man I even have the first series of Life on Mars on DVD and I have still not watched it.

Janson on
    edited December 2008
    Ah man I even have the first series of Life on Mars on DVD and I have still not watched it.

It was a great series. The US version is being broadcast in Australia next year and I really want to see how it turned out. Lord knows they've screwed up enough 'US translations' in the past (Kath & Kim is the first that comes to mind), but they've done some pretty good work with others (The Office).

Cyvros on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah but Kath and Kim wasn't any good to begin with. Although they still somehow managed to make it worse, which was quite an accomplishment.

I'm really not looking forward to the American version of Life on Mars. Although I'll probably just watch the first episode out of morbid curiosity to see how badly they fuck it up.

-SPI- on
    edited December 2008
    I think if they reinterpret it, it could be fantastic (of course, speaking from a general perspective, and not from the perspective of having actually seen the show)

Most of the problems with re-doing shows is when they merely try to copy it. See The Office for a prime example of this; I hear the first episode of the American show was pretty poor, but once it came into its own and stopped directly copying the British version, it turned out to be pretty amazing

Janson on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ah the monthes of sommere

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If you haven't watched Are You Being Served? while really stoned, do yourself a favor and do it as soon as possible.

Owenashi on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think if they reinterpret it, it could be fantastic (of course, speaking from a general perspective, and not from the perspective of having actually seen the show)

Most of the problems with re-doing shows is when they merely try to copy it. See The Office for a prime example of this; I hear the first episode of the American show was pretty poor, but once it came into its own and stopped directly copying the British version, it turned out to be pretty amazing

i think this applies to life on mars to an even greater degree

being that america and britain had very different experiences in the 1970's in particular

Nuzak on
  • ValVal Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Life on Mars was amazing, I'm watching The I.T crowd atm and it's pretty tops.

Val on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    when's ashes to ashes coming back, i'm all ready to be dissapointed again

Nuzak on
  • WalrusWalrus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I got all three series of Black Books for Christmas which is doubly great because I haven't seen most of the episodes.

Walrus on