As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

old fallout thread; please disregard and post in the new one

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Strikerkc wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Not really an exaggeration at all. Its stupid, I can understand the idea behind the rule, but its implementation is bullshit. Have to rate everything 9 or 10 just to avoid hurting feelings negates the need for having a freaking rating system.

I was under the impression that the rateing system they had was to rate it on how well it acomplished it's goals. AKA: The mod to make a bloat fly bright pink must be rated a 10 if it did indeed make bloat flys pink, and does not damage other aspects of the game in the process (breaks quests, make your character pink as well, etc).

Thats the point, You can't filter out good useful mods because Pink Bloatflies and Wang firing miniguns are at the top of the list because you have to rate everything 10 based in some stupid arbitrary system.

Buttcleft on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Not really an exaggeration at all. Its stupid, I can understand the idea behind the rule, but its implementation is bullshit. Have to rate everything 9 or 10 just to avoid hurting feelings negates the need for having a freaking rating system.

I was under the impression that the rateing system they had was to rate it on how well it acomplished it's goals. AKA: The mod to make a bloat fly bright pink must be rated a 10 if it did indeed make bloat flys pink, and does not damage other aspects of the game in the process (breaks quests, make your character pink as well, etc).

Thats the point, You can't filter out good useful mods because Pink Bloatflies and Wang firing miniguns are at the top of the list because you have to rate everything 10 based in some stupid arbitrary system.

And what is wrong with wang firing miniguns? I ASK YOU SIR.

freakish light on
    edited December 2008

Don't make me get inspired again.

I'll do it. You know I will. I'll write at you so god damned hard you wont know what to do with yourself.

Buttcleft on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    He'll do it. He's crazy... I seen him!

urahonky on
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Don't make me get inspired again.

I'll do it. You know I will. I'll write at you so god damned hard you wont know what to do with yourself.

I'm calling your bluff, fiend. Do your worst!

:winky:

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    never die wrote: »
    Malakaius wrote: »
    Yeah, It does feel like oblivion at first, but this game makes oblivion feel Good, Just give it a chance.(and Mods if you have the PC version)

Its kinda like that weird aunt who bad touches you.

At first its like " omg, no, stay away "

Then its all like " Mm..Well...This is..Okay I guess.. "

Then it ends up with you drooling in a stupor not realizing 18 hours have passed since the last time you got out of your chair.

Thanks you for that awkward ending....

Anyway, I had an amusing experience the other day. My friend was playing while my brother and I watched. He started walking into this small towm on the way to Oasis, when I realized he's at Old Oney. I warn him, as he had seen me in their earlier, and new the trouble I had. My brother hadn't. my friend doesn't heed my warning, and slowly creeps into the town, looking through the .308 scope. My brother, getting impatient, asks where the deathclaws are. About a second afterward, my friend dies and all we see that kills him is this giant claw swatting his head. It was such great timing, I couldn't stop laughing for a minute.

I hate Old Olney because of all the damn Deathclaws on my first playthrough - first time I encountered one was at the Deathclaw Sanctuary, just one outside and it too my forever to kill him. Pretty much had to stand on a rock he couldn't get me on and shoot him for half an hour (I was rather low level).

Got to Old Olney and saw one prowling some blown up house and felt mighty please when I managed to take him down.

But the battle music continued to play, while I kind of sat there going o_O.

Then I got deathraped by three more of the bastards that I didn't see.

Loathing on
    edited December 2008
    This is where a fully repaired Fat Man tactical micro-nuclear armament catapult comes in quite handy.

Fucking 'Claws

Buttcleft on
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Loathing wrote: »
    never die wrote: »
    Malakaius wrote: »
    Yeah, It does feel like oblivion at first, but this game makes oblivion feel Good, Just give it a chance.(and Mods if you have the PC version)

Its kinda like that weird aunt who bad touches you.

At first its like " omg, no, stay away "

Then its all like " Mm..Well...This is..Okay I guess.. "

Then it ends up with you drooling in a stupor not realizing 18 hours have passed since the last time you got out of your chair.

Thanks you for that awkward ending....

Anyway, I had an amusing experience the other day. My friend was playing while my brother and I watched. He started walking into this small towm on the way to Oasis, when I realized he's at Old Oney. I warn him, as he had seen me in their earlier, and new the trouble I had. My brother hadn't. my friend doesn't heed my warning, and slowly creeps into the town, looking through the .308 scope. My brother, getting impatient, asks where the deathclaws are. About a second afterward, my friend dies and all we see that kills him is this giant claw swatting his head. It was such great timing, I couldn't stop laughing for a minute.

I hate Old Olney because of all the damn Deathclaws on my first playthrough - first time I encountered one was at the Deathclaw Sanctuary, just one outside and it too my forever to kill him. Pretty much had to stand on a rock he couldn't get me on and shoot him for half an hour (I was rather low level).

Got to Old Olney and saw one prowling some blown up house and felt mighty please when I managed to take him down.

But the battle music continued to play, while I kind of sat there going o_O.

Then I got deathraped by three more of the bastards that I didn't see.

lol, apparently, my friend went back later and took them all out with the sniper rifle. Took him a good while.

never die on
    edited December 2008
    The sniper rifle and teh shotgun suck balls.

You lose INSANE levels of CND for every freaking shot, much more so with the sniper rifle than the shotgun, but the shotgun can easily lose 25% condition in a single fight against a few yao guai.

It almost makes me want to download a weapons take no damage mod.

Buttcleft on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Seriously? I never had a problem maintaining my combat shotgun.

Couscous on
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, combat shotguns hold up decently, though not well. The sniper rifle, on the other hand, can kiss my dick.

Mortal Sky on
  • Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Yeah, combat shotguns hold up decently, though not well. The sniper rifle, on the other hand, can kiss my dick.
    I wanted to love the sniper rifle, but it ended up sitting in my house instead. It always fell apart on me.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Shoegaze99 wrote: »
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    I wanted to love the sniper rifle, but it ended up sitting in my house instead. It always fell apart on me.

I found giving it to Charon made him death-incarnate.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Charon is so fucking awesome.
    Best friends forever.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My Charon was a Tesla wearing, plasma rifling using motherfucker. We were Argyle and Dashwood the second.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • El ExtremoEl Extremo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Domhnall wrote: »
    My Charon was a Tesla wearing, plasma rifling using motherfucker. We were Argyle and Dashwood the second.

My Charon died valiantly in the Deathclaw Sanctuary. We were owning them darn Deathclaws, and then BAM! Three of 'em come out of nowhere and rape his shit. He will be sorely missed.

El Extremo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My charon got ate by bears and mirelurks.

SkutSkut on
  • MightyhogMightyhog Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Okay, consensus on the Life Giver perk for an unarmed character? I'm thinking the deathclaw gauntlet is the weapon for me.

Mightyhog on
  • xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Man, I haven't had a chance to play today because of stupid things like being an adult and having to do things around the house and town, but damned if I'm not thinking about it.

Edit: And what's the best way to get Charon. I accepted the dude's offer for his contract if I did a certain something, but I'm not quite sure how to go about it.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • El ExtremoEl Extremo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Man, I haven't had a chance to play today because of stupid things like being an adult and having to do things around the house and town, but damned if I'm not thinking about it.

Edit: And what's the best way to get Charon. I accepted the dude's offer for his contract if I did a certain something, but I'm not quite sure how to go about it.

I put on a stealthboy and left a little surprise in her pocket. It seemed to work pretty well for me.

El Extremo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2008
    El Extremo wrote: »

I put on a stealthboy and left a little surprise in her pocket. It seemed to work pretty well for me.

Very nice. I happen to have a stealthboy. And a few...surprises. Thanks!

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Anyone ever have one of those "Oh my god." moments? Where you can only stare in disbelief and sadness at what you see?

I had one moment after fixing a radio tower and listening to a man plead for someone with medicine to come help his family. His child was sick, they were out of stimpaks and growing desperate, they hid in a storm drain. There's no waypoint marker so I activally searched the area, whole time listening to this man plead, almost sounding like he was tearing up while talking.

I found the storm drain and went in. At the end of a short tunnel there was a room to the right with light pouring out. I went in and found 2 skeletons lying beside the bed, holding each other, with a toy in one of their hands. I turned and entered the other room, where the HAM radio was still on. I turned it off, blinked, and walked back out. I couldn't think of anything but "They're gone. The mother fucking wastes..."

It's a computer game, and for some reason that moment just resonated with me. Then to top it off, after walking in a straight line thinking about this moment, I see a wastelander being attacked by a giant radscorpion. I save the woman, then try to talk to her and she's all "Get out of my face, you jerk." After seeing such a sad moment, then getting this snide comment from this woman, I blew her up with a mine, shot her with the shotgun till I emptied 3 clips, then stole everything she had, even her butterknife.

Thinking "The mother fucking wastes..."

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2008
    SoulGate wrote: »
    Anyone ever have one of those "Oh my god." moments? Where you can only stare in disbelief and sadness at what you see?

I had one moment after fixing a radio tower and listening to a man plead for someone with medicine to come help his family. His child was sick, they were out of stimpaks and growing desperate, they hid in a storm drain. There's no waypoint marker so I activally searched the area, whole time listening to this man plead, almost sounding like he was tearing up while talking.

I found the storm drain and went in. At the end of a short tunnel there was a room to the right with light pouring out. I went in and found 2 skeletons lying beside the bed, holding each other, with a toy in one of their hands. I turned and entered the other room, where the HAM radio was still on. I turned it off, blinked, and walked back out. I couldn't think of anything but "They're gone. The mother fucking wastes..."

It's a computer game, and for some reason that moment just resonated with me. Then to top it off, after walking in a straight line thinking about this moment, I see a wastelander being attacked by a giant radscorpion. I save the woman, then try to talk to her and she's all "Get out of my face, you jerk." After seeing such a sad moment, then getting this snide comment from this woman, I blew her up with a mine, shot her with the shotgun till I emptied 3 clips, then stole everything she had, even her butterknife.

Thinking "The mother fucking wastes..."

This depresses me. Like, really bad. And I haven't even "experienced" these things. What an amazing game.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
    edited December 2008
    I feel a bit silly posting a build for my next guy, but I'd hate to find out later on that I made some bad decisions in making him:
    NOTE: It's my hope to get to Rivet City as fast as I can, either before level 2 (is that possible?) or 3, to get the you-know-what.

This is towards building an unarmed/sneak character:
    PERKS
    1 ...
    2 ... Intense Training (+Int)
    3 ... Intense Training (+Str)
    4 ... Educated
    5 ... Iron Fist (1)
    6 ... Comprehension
    7 ... Iron Fist (2)
    8 ... Intense Training (+End)
    9 ... Intense Training (+Luck)
    10 .. Finesse
    11 .. Iron Fist (3)
    12 .. Fast Metabolism
    13 .. Silent Running (SNEAK 50)
    14 .. Chemist (MED 60)
    15 .. Lifegiver(?)*
    16 .. Better Criticals
    17 .. Cannibal
    18 .. Paralyzing Palm (UNARMED 70)
    19 .. Tag(to melee?)*
    20 .. Ninja(SNEAK 80, MELEE 80)*

*Most willing to change
    I'd like Ninja, but if I'm worried I won't have enough points put into melee, even by level 20...
    I think if I find I don't need Lifegiver, I'll train Agility at level 15.

STARTING SPECIAL
    Str - 4
    Per - 6
    End - 7
    Cha - 6
    Int - 5
    Agi - 6
    Luc - 6

By lvl 10
    Str - 6 (training + bobblehead)
    Per - 6
    End - 8 (training)
    Cha - 6
    Int - 7 (training + bobblehead)
    Agi - 6
    Luck - 7 (training)
    ...this only takes into account bobbleheads I know of, not those I'll look up on the internet...

---

As for an Oh My God moment, I can only say I've had one and it's not quite as impressive as your find, considering pretty much all players have to pass by it: the Museum of Technology Vault tour. I felt so haunted stepping out of it, something about the narrator, the lights turning on for you as you crept along, just how sad and funny it all was, really got to me. You really pity whoever would be destined to end up in one of those vaults- and then you remember where your character came from...

Mightyhog on
    edited December 2008
    Mightyhog wrote: »
    I feel a bit silly posting a build for my next guy, but I'd hate to find out later on that I made some bad decisions in making him:
    NOTE: It's my hope to get to Rivet City as fast as I can, either before level 2 (is that possible?) or 3, to get the you-know-what.

PERKS
    1 ...
    4 ... Educated
    5 ... Iron Fist (1)
    6 ... Comprehension
    7 ... Iron Fist (2)
    10 .. Finesse
    11 .. Iron Fist (3)
    12 .. Fast Metabolism
    14 .. Chemist (MED 60)
    15 .. Lifegiver(?)*
    16 .. Better Criticals
    17 .. Cannibal
    19 .. Tag(to melee?)*

*Most willing to change
    I'd like Ninja, but if I'm worried I won't have enough points put into melee, even by level 20...

STARTING SPECIAL
    Str - 4
    Per - 6
    End - 7
    Cha - 6
    Int - 5
    Agi - 6
    Luc - 6

By lvl 10
    Per - 6
    End - 8 (training)
    Cha - 6
    Agi - 6
    Luck - 7 (training)
    ...this only takes into account bobbleheads I know of, not those I'll look up on the internet...

---

As for an Oh My God moment, I can only say I've had one and it's not quite as impressive as your find, considering pretty much all players have to pass by it: the Museum of Technology Vault tour. I felt so haunted stepping out of it, something about the narrator, the lights turning on for you as you crept along, just how sad and funny it all was, really got to me. You really pity whoever would be destined to end up in one of those vaults- and then you remember where your character came from...

Intelligence isn't high enough. I would take down Cha to 4 and add two to Int. Every extra int point adds an extra skill point when you level up. Over the course of the game, a single extra point in int will give you 19 extra skill points. I don't think strength affects unarmed so you should probably train in a different stat. I recommend the strong back perk for carrying a lot of stuff.

Couscous on
  • ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    Mightyhog wrote: »

PERKS
    1 ...
    4 ... Educated
    5 ... Iron Fist (1)
    6 ... Comprehension
    7 ... Iron Fist (2)
    10 .. Finesse
    11 .. Iron Fist (3)
    12 .. Fast Metabolism
    14 .. Chemist (MED 60)
    15 .. Lifegiver(?)*
    16 .. Better Criticals
    17 .. Cannibal
    19 .. Tag(to melee?)*

*Most willing to change

STARTING SPECIAL
    Str - 4
    Per - 6
    End - 7
    Cha - 6
    Int - 5
    Agi - 6
    Luc - 6

By lvl 10
    Per - 6
    End - 8 (training)
    Cha - 6
    Agi - 6
    Luck - 7 (training)

---

Intelligence isn't high enough. I would take down Cha to 4 and add two to Int. Every extra int point adds an extra skill point when you level up. Over the course of the game, a single extra point in int will give you 19 extra skill points. I don't think strength affects unarmed so you should probably train in a different stat. I recommend the strong back perk for carrying a lot of stuff.

I would take out the last tag for something like lady killer etc.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Cannibal is a surprisingly useless perk. Eating people never gave me much health. According to the wiki, they give 25 health and some radiation. I recommend getting the action boy perk. Unless you are doing a themed character, grim reaper's sprint is better than the ninja perk. The toughness is also a useful perk as you won't exactly be dodging a lot of bullets as an unarmed characters.

Couscous on
    edited December 2008
    When you do Moira's quest, I recommend doing all of the optional objectives and answering with the end or str option. If you do it this way, you get an extra 15 HP plus 6 DR. If your str or end isn't high enough, you can use enchanted equipment or drugs to get it high enough.

Couscous on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    When you do Moira's quest, I recommend doing all of the optional objectives and answering with the end option. If you do it this way, you get an extra 15 HP plus 6 DR.

Snide responses net you the 3% crit bonus. FYI.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Whaaat, you get rads from cannibal?

That renders it useless, yes.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Shoggoth wrote: »

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Cannibal
    * Each corpse restores 25 health. Corpses tend to be radiated, like most food sources, however the gain of radiation is not indicated on the HUD.
    Someone can test it.
    I'd like to know why I can't eat supermutants.

Couscous on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Shoggoth wrote: »

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Cannibal
    * Each corpse restores 25 health. Corpses tend to be radiated, like most food sources, however the gain of radiation is not indicated on the HUD.
    Someone can test it.
    I'd like to know why I can't eat supermutants.

Meat is too fatty. I wouldn't recommend it.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    edited December 2008
    Alright, I've updated the build:
    1 ...
    3 ... Intense Training (+Agi)
    4 ... Educated
    5 ... Iron Fist (1)
    6 ... Comprehension
    7 ... Iron Fist (2)
    10 .. Finesse
    11 .. Iron Fist (3)
    12 .. Fast Metabolism
    14 .. Chemist (MED 60)
    15 .. Lifegiver(?)*
    16 .. Better Criticals
    17 .. Action Boy
    19 .. Toughness
    20 .. Grim Reaper's Sprint

*Most willing to change

STARTING
    Str - 4
    Per - 6
    End - 7
    Cha - 4
    Int - 7
    Agi - 6
    Luck - 6

By level 10
    Str - 5 (bobblehead)
    Per - 6
    End - 8 (training)
    Cha - 4
    Int - 9 (training + bobblehead)
    Agi - 7 (training)
    Luck - 7 (training)
    Just finished the game for the first time, maybe I should be more angry with the ending, but I can't really muster up any hate. It wasn't all that great, but it wasn't the worst.
    It's a shame about Cannibal, this is going to be my exclusively evil character, but there are better ways to be evil than just eating people's corpses I suppose. Now all I need is a name... though feel free to make any more suggestions perk-wise.

Mightyhog on
  • AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    One of my favorite companions is my armor.
    Gear up, Soldier!

Antithesis on
    edited December 2008
    Theres a canibal mod that lets you eat anything humanoid, including robots [ this requires a seperate perk to get, like lead belly or robotics expert or something, maybe one of the android perks.. ]

Buttcleft on
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Is there a mod that lets you target body parts with melee yet?

Slicer on
  • ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Playing my brother's 360 copy of this because System Requirements Lab says my graphics card isn't quite capable of handling the PC version

I've been wearing combat armor (now Reily's Rangers armor) and a hockey mask the whole game; at first for the +5 unarmed bonus, now because I see it as a signature piece of clothing for my character

I kind of wish hockey sticks and golf clubs were weapons in this game, I'd totally do a Casey Jones-themed run

Also: no idea how viable this would be, but here's an idea for a mod: a quest that Three Dog gives you to go scavenging for records in a music store, and the reward for bringing them back to him is some caps and some new tunes on GNR

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Arcibi wrote: »
    Playing my brother's 360 copy of this because System Requirements Lab says my graphics card isn't quite capable of handling the PC version

I've been wearing combat armor (now Reily's Rangers armor) and a hockey mask the whole game; at first for the +5 unarmed bonus, now because I see it as a signature piece of clothing for my character

I kind of wish hockey sticks and golf clubs were weapons in this game, I'd totally do a Casey Jones-themed run

Also: no idea how viable this would be, but here's an idea for a mod: a quest that Three Dog gives you to go scavenging for records in a music store, and the reward for bringing them back to him is some caps and some new tunes on GNR

Maybe that old Tower Records in Fairfax City.

Though it did close down a couple years ago IRL.

ed: out of curiosity nova locals, did they ever put anything in there?

freakish light on
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    At some point during the evening Greta will step outside Underworld and be smoking out front in the Museum, where no one else is around. You can kill her then.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Okay, I'd hate to do this to you wonderful people, but I'd feel like I'd go nuts if I didn't do this stupid(ly obvious) thing, so...

Merry Christmas

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png