As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Interest On] Monte Cook's World of Darkness

cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Critical Failures
Mod's Please Delete

cytorak on

• INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That sounds pretty awesome.

I am interested.

This book is so ridiculous, though, I have to get reacquainted with it.

INeedNoSalt on
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I want to say I'd be interested but I have a long-time hate for d20, 3.5 especially. That being said, I'll take a peek at the book the next time I'm in the game store(probably monday/tuesday) and I will consider this.

Rainfall on
    edited December 2008
    So your "Character" bit mentions mages, and then the last bit says "Probably excludes mages." So do you not love mages, who are awesome?

Also, I hope this gets some more love. Monte Cook's World of Darkness is pretty neat, you just need to look at without trying to compare it to White Wolf's WoD.

INeedNoSalt on
  • cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I just mentioned them in because they are in the book, but I suspect mages could make things car-azy really quickly. However, PbP doesn't require quick decisions, so I might cave on that point fairly easily. It's the holidays after all. :)

cytorak on
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Would having the book be a necessity for this?

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • ValVal Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm so intrested in this but I'm new to CF so if you get some older members wanting to play I can be a reserve.

Val on
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I was always curious about what Monte Cook did to the WoD. This is interesting, and I don't hate him for it.

piL on
    edited December 2008
    Vàl wrote: »
    I'm so intrested in this but I'm new to CF so if you get some older members wanting to play I can be a reserve.

I'm pretty sure that we're more likely to accept a newbie than a vet. Too many phallagrudges and the like...

Not to mention that it's the quickest way to absorb them into our community.

Anyway, thanks to wacky holiday schedules, and a completely random and unexpected bonus from my employers, I shall pick the book up on Monday and see what I can do with it.

Rainfall on
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Soo... no Mages? :( I've always wanted to play this but I want to be a Mage. *sniff*

Premier kakos on
    edited December 2008
    I want to be a demon. Just 'cuz.

Also mages are silly and I should really get around to running a Mage the Awakening game at some point.

Rainfall on
    edited December 2008
    In regards to book ownership, I'm leaning strongly towards "Yes", just because the book is a self-contained game. It's based on 3.5 d20, so if you are familar with that system, the way combat and skills work will be familiar to you.

I just think that mages can make things really crazy really fast. Like I said, their disallowance is something I can be swayed on since this is PbP and time is less of an issue.

That being said, I don't want Team Hogwarts as PCs.

cytorak on
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    I'll roll something up and let you determine whether it is acceptable. :)

My preliminary concept is young Mage with a lightning bolt scar on his forehead who survived a magical attack by an uberevil Mage. What do you think?

Premier kakos on
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    May make a Fuzzball, after I reacquaint myself with the source. This is kind of a big deal, as I can't stand werewolves.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm quite interested in this, and I think I'd actually have the time to do it now. First, though, how complex is the combat system as opposed to nWoD?

WhiteZinfandel on
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If you need another player I'd be up for it.

Egos on
    edited December 2008
    I'm quite interested in this, and I think I'd actually have the time to do it now. First, though, how complex is the combat system as opposed to nWoD?

It's the d20 3.5 combat engine as far as I'm aware, so it's substantially more complex.

Rainfall on
    edited December 2008
    So, to recap the following are interested:

INeedNoSalt
    Rainfall
    Vàl
    Premier kakos
    EvilBadman
    WhiteZinfandel
    Egos

I think 5 would be the best party size, so the first five people still interested who submit character concepts/sheets to me would be lovely. I requested the character sheet to be added to Myth-Weavers, but I guess we will be stuck with in-post character sheets until that happens.

cytorak on
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So during chargen what limitations do we have? I just bought the PDF two days ago and I can get a character concept to you pretty soon, but are we using point-buy? Random abilities and health bother me.
    E: Also, would this campaign look more like the Intrusion or Shadows campaigns in the sourcebook? I'd like to play a tempter demon, but if I can't for some reason then I'd take a Gangrel vampire.

WhiteZinfandel on
    edited January 2009
    Hey, is this dead? I still would like to play very much.

WhiteZinfandel on
    edited January 2009
    I have been in correspondence with cytorak, and he's still up to run a game if we can muster the playerbase. We've got 2 for sure (including myself), and possibly 2 others, and then a couple more that have not yet responded to my PMs. Since cytorak hasn't yet put this info in here, the chargen is 4d6 and drop the lowest die for each stat, like the book says. The setting will be more like the "shadows" campaign in the book than the "intrusion" campaign.

E: And the place for rolling dice would be http://invisiblecastle.com/

WhiteZinfandel on
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If I do this I'll likely go with Human/Ascended or Mage(likely Theurgist , slight chance of Necro)....

Egos on
  • ValVal Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hey, sorry I haven't responded before now. Just found my copy of the book and I'm re-reading it/putting together a character atm. I'm lgonna go with an Awakened.

Val on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This game looks awesome. Kind of like D20 Nightbane, but without the stupidly overpowered PC's.

You pretty much had to actively try to not make an overpowered Nightbane.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited January 2009
    Alrighty, got my character all done. I'm sending the character sheet to cytorak as soon as I can transcribe it, and the character concept is right hurr:
    Baphomet (or whatever name he chooses to go by) is a demon. Like many demons, he is manipulative and clever, and very difficult to catch. Unlike many demons, however, he doesn't see other sentients as lowly, pathetic wretches deserving of all the pain and suffering he can bring to them. The majority of them are impotent and clueless, but that doesn't mean he's going to go kill their children for giggles. Baphomet's defining characteristic is pragmatism. If stomping on babies will get him somewhere he wants to go, then that's just how it is. If sucking up to some human and being a goody goody is what it takes, well, he can do that too. Currently, he wants to avoid destroying the world and, more importantly, himself along with it. His best bet, then, is to work with the IDA. They're dedicated (indirectly) to keeping him alive in the long term, and Baphomet likes that very much.

When Baphomet first entered this dimension, he discovered very quickly that the humans had established some sort of official list of people with verification of their identities and special, very necessary privileges (social security number, green card, driver's license, etc). Baphomet determined that the easiest method by far for infiltrating this social structure was to usurp some already established position. After several weeks of painstaking research, Baphomet came across a man named Rob Bayman. Rob was a middle aged bachelor, loner, and chronic loser with no serious interpersonal relationships. Lucky for him, then, that his deceased relatives left him enough inheritance to coast along jobless after dropping out of college. Baphomet used his exceptional powers of persuasion to learn as much as he could about Bayman's life and methods, and then killed him. Bayman's body now rests at the bottom of a local river, and Baphomet in his place.

Baphomet, in his Rob Bayman guise, is a slightly frail-looking Thirty-five-ish man with shaggy hair. For the most part Baphomet only chooses to look like Rob Bayman when he needs to use an ID.

This is my first MCWoD character, so I'm well open to constructive criticism.

E: Got the character sheet into cytorak. Whoo boy, that took a while.

WhiteZinfandel on
    edited January 2009
    Post update. As I have gotten lackluster response on this game, it might be dead in the water. However, since 2 people have gone to the trouble of making up PC's, I am setting a deadline of 11:59 CST tonight as character submission deadlines. If I don't have 3 more people sign up by then, this game and thread will be officially dead. (It's okay; no tears!)

Currently, WZ is playing a Tempter Demon and Vàl is an Awakened.

cytorak on
    edited January 2009
    Five players is way over-shooting for a PBP game anyway.

If you just don't want to run it, it's probably better to just not run it.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited January 2009
    Five players is way over-shooting for a PBP game anyway.

If you just don't want to run it, it's probably better to just not run it.

Fair enough.

Game closed. Mods please lock.

cytorak on
This discussion has been closed.