Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Game of the Year Nominations thread

• MongerMonger Hella Fuckin Smokey Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Come to think of it, wasn't there also a PSP version of Force Unleashed that wasn't terrible? Or at least not noticeably more terrible than the other portable ones?

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Don't fuck with a witch Time to go VROOM!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Your list lacks both Tomb Raider: Underworld and, most baffling of all, Resistance 2.

XbJml1e.jpg?1
    I feel like a fucking celebrity in this town! | PSN: UnbreakableVow | Wii U: UnbreakableVow26
  • WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Woodroez wrote: »
    Just to clear up the rules here a bit more, and for future reference...I noticed Alone in the Dark (X360, Wii, PC?) and the probably-its-own-game Alone in the Dark: Inferno (PS3) aren't on the list. I'm not voting for them...I doubt anyone will miss them, but they are full-fledged platform releases. Do you want to bother with this kind of stuff, mcc?

I seem to remember some people on the forums liking it.

I'm not arguing that so much as wondering whether or not mcc is going for a full and complete list that will see quite a few games get one or two-if any-votes or if omitting a few to give a clearer picture of what was the cream of the crop is what he's going for.

Because I can burn some spare time at work hunting down titles this year.

858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Don't fuck with a witch Time to go VROOM!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well, I mean, he says in the first post that he doesn't want to eliminate it to just the cream of the crop. I take that as "all games get a fair shake."

AITD was blasted by nearly everyone, but if I thought it was my GOTY, I'd be pissed if I couldn't vote for it.

XbJml1e.jpg?1
    I feel like a fucking celebrity in this town! | PSN: UnbreakableVow | Wii U: UnbreakableVow26
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well, I mean, he says in the first post that he doesn't want to eliminate it to just the cream of the crop. I take that as "all games get a fair shake."

AITD was blasted by nearly everyone, but if I thought it was my GOTY, I'd be pissed if I couldn't vote for it.

:^:

OuFrYk0.jpg
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • ZellZell Registered User
    edited December 2008
    Looking at the list:
    Bionic Commando Rearmed (PS3*, 360*)
    There was a Windows release as well. King's Bounty: The Legend should probably be on the list too. Resistance 2 is another game...

• SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    De blob also came out on iphone.

I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dead Space. Dead fucking Space. Fucking Dead Space, so hard.

But seriously, Dead Space.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fair enough, just didn't want to feel like I was being tedious if I kept feeding titles just for the sake of it.

Rise of the Argonauts (X360, PS3, PC)

858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Unless I missed it in the list you forgot Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty on PS3*.

• ZellZell Registered User
    edited December 2008
    Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories (PS2)
    PixelJunk Eden (PSN)

• stranger678stranger678 Registered User
    edited December 2008
    Soul Calibur 4 (Xbox360/PS3)

PASig.jpg
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Zell wrote: »
    PixelJunk Eden (PSN)

pixeljunk monsters was released this year, too

both are brilliant

sig_zps00ca6d07.jpg
  • tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    edited December 2008
    The topic creator (or some other kind soul) should just scavenge through slash's weekly game release topics.

XbJml1e.jpg?1
  • skeldareskeldare Time for adventure! Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    God of War: Chains of Olympus (PSP)
    Secret Agent Clank (PSP)

Edit: Oh, and SIREN: Blood Curse (PSN)

Wii U and 3DS Codes
    Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    Spoiler:
  • mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    I think I've added all suggestions up to this point.
    I'm not arguing that so much as wondering whether or not mcc is going for a full and complete list that will see quite a few games get one or two-if any-votes or if omitting a few to give a clearer picture of what was the cream of the crop is what he's going for.

Full and complete list with games that get only one or two votes is definitely the plan. The thing is sometimes it turns out that games you'd expect to only get one or two votes get quite a few. Check out last year's results if you want to see this at work (for example, I never would have guessed that "skate." would have scored near the top, while Lair and Syphon Filter (etoychest's editorial GOTY...) would get about three votes each).
    Sonar wrote: »

Ooh. Would you say it should count as the same game as the Wii version?

• SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    mcc wrote: »
    Sonar wrote: »

Ooh. Would you say it should count as the same game as the Wii version?

Actually I would but I'm only going on screenshots from the Wii.

I also want to add Civilization IV: Colonization (PC) which used the engine but was released as a separate game.

And I hope someone does a top mods thing because shit like "Fall From Heaven 2" really deserve a mention.

I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    As awesome as Auditorium is, unless the actual full game is out, I wouldn't count it. Last I saw, the demo/beta cut off at 4:1.

FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman MD; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Motorstorm Pacific Rift (PS3) needs to be on this list. It reminds me so much of Burnout 3 but take out the crashing benefits and add in greater boost management and significantly greater differences in vehicle performance. Play together with Paradise for best results :)

steam_sig.png
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The World Ends With You and the DS port of Chrono Trigger, if that counts

JKKaAGp.png
    edited December 2008
    The World Ends With You and the DS port of Chrono Trigger, if that counts

Nah, Chrono Trigger doesn't count according to his second post. Just a dungeon was all they added.

XbJml1e.jpg?1
    edited December 2008
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Motorstorm Pacific Rift (PS3) needs to be on this list. It reminds me so much of Burnout 3 but take out the crashing benefits and add in greater boost management and significantly greater differences in vehicle performance. Play together with Paradise for best results :)

I think you just made me download the demo to a game I previously had no interest in.

XbJml1e.jpg?1
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't know why we are even bothering this year. Everyone who has played the retail copy of Nuts & Bolts knows it should win. Anyone who hasn't played the retail copy of Nuts & Bolts is soulless human being so their vote doesn't count.

edited December 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    I don't know why we are even bothering this year. Everyone who has played the retail copy of Valkyria Chronicles knows it should win. Anyone who hasn't played the retail copy of Valkyria Chronicles is a soulless human being so their vote doesn't count.

XbJml1e.jpg?1
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Some Nintendo DS nominations that are not yet included in the OP list (I'll be doing this again for the other consoles later this week probably):

Bleach: Dark Souls

Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon

Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword

Viva pinata pocket paradise

ninjatown

Disgaea DS (dunno if this counts)

Civ Revolution

DQIV (count?)

Rune Factory 2

Kirby SuperStar Ultra

Trauma Center Under the Knife 2

Trackmania DS (dunno if this came out in the USA yet)

Soul Bubbles

Spiderman Web of Shadows DS *** the DS part is KEY. Very different game

Nanostray 2

Luminous Arc 2

Summon Night: Twin Age

Skate It (DS)

Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ

Time Hollow

Populous DS

Guitar Hero On Tour, and GH OT Decades

edited December 2008
    I'd say Disgaea DS wouldn't because it's practically the same game as before with an extra dungeon/bosses/d00ds, but DQIV would because of graphical improvements, such as the hop to 3-D.

• BlakoutBlakout Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2
    Viking: Battle for Asgard (I didn't play it but I know a few people who enjoyed it)
    Madden NFL 2009
    Guitar Hero: Aerosmith
    Skate It (beaten by Slash)

Also you got the name of Prof. Layton wrong, it's Curious Village, not Mysterious.

pgrsig.jpg
  • CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Super Robot Wars Z
    Persona 4
    Fallout 3
    Grand Theft Auto 4

One of these days I'm going to bite the bullet and play Guitar Hero.

• -SPI--SPI- Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    I don't know why we are even bothering this year. Everyone who has played Bionic Commando: Rearmed knows it should win. Anyone who hasn't played Bionic Commando: Rearmed is a soulless human being so their vote doesn't count.

8t2qhu8l050f.jpg
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    World of Goo
    Castle Crashers
    Left4Dead

thats about it.

So a forest of boob trees is sexist?
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    what about mother 3?

for many of us, this was the first year we could play it

edited December 2008
    The released in America part is bolded for a reason. The game was not commercial released in the US and cannot count.

edited December 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon

Uh yeah... that's not out in the US yet. :|

Wii U and 3DS Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    Spoiler:
  • SchideSchide You have dreams Everybody watching at home has dreamsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Lost Odyssey should at least be on the list.

I think that's about the only thing I've played that isn't on there that I think should be.

x7SZWSn.jpg
    Amazon Wish List -- Backloggery -- 3DS Friend Code: 3282-1850-1742
    edited December 2008
    Might as well add Infinite Undiscovery and The Last Remnant too.

Wii U and 3DS Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    Spoiler:
    edited December 2008
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_360_games, Sort by release date in North America.
    Spoiler:

HEY THIS LIST HAS EXPANSIONS, GAMES ALREADY MENTIONED, SHIT I NEVER HEARD OF!
    Blame wikipedia, yourself, or god. I just transcribed it.

Also, BRB making a spreadsheet for all the wikipedia articles.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I was going to suggest the two LEGO games that released this year, but if EvilBadman is going to convert that list then I guess that's the nomination...

• ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Lost Odyssey definitly should be on their.

Thanks for doing this again, I find your GotY poll to be more official than any of the game mag or television ones. Being able to see how people in similar meta social environments and within specific online communities rate games means a hell of a lot more to me than what some cooperate shill says.

No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_360_games, Sort by release date in North America.
    Spoiler:

HEY THIS LIST HAS EXPANSIONS, GAMES ALREADY MENTIONED, SHIT I NEVER HEARD OF!
    Blame wikipedia, yourself, or god. I just transcribed it.

Also, BRB making a spreadsheet for all the wikipedia articles.
    No one is going to vote for High School Musical or Turning Point: Fall of Liberty. Someone is going to have to go through the list and rep the games they would actually vote for.

I'll rep Culdcept Saga. It deserves an entry on the list. So does The Club.