As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Best Album in the past 10 years?

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    2and2is5 wrote: »
    Give Up is disqualified immediately because of Sleeping In.

My two choices would be The Moon and Antarctica by Modest Mouse or Kid A by Radiohead, but these threads are kind of stupid anyway. A better thread would be 'Best Album of The 1970s' or what have you, so we can look back and choose some criteria to judge which album is 'best', rather than just spitting out our personal favorite albums, however shitty they may be.

I don't see how there's really a big difference.

People would just start spitting out their favorite albums of the 1970s.

As an aside the best album EVER is without a doubt The Who's Quadraphenia.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    I can't decide.

Everything else I can think of fails in some way despite being brilliant but there you have two perfect albums, one of which is all the more remarkable for being flawless across two discs. And the other is the maximum length of a single CD anyway.

Let me help.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS7CZIJVxFY

Any album that manages to add the Fibonacci sequence to one of its songs is truly godly.

Premier kakos on
  • AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah I actually forgot that Lateralus contains clues to reordering the tracks on the album in a way that flows better from one track to the next.

Which is pretty awesome.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Demon Days by Gorillaz.

It's the only album i've ever listened to that sounds like an album, and not a collection of songs like 99.9% of the other stuff out there.

Each song on it's own is good, but when brought together it's an experience. Better yet, the more you listen to it the more each song connects to one another, like you're clued in to the overall picture.

Godfather on
  • RapeasaurusRapeasaurus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I agree with a lot of the recommendations in here already. Lateralus by Tool would make my shortlist, as would Leviathan by Mastodon, and I'd also be inclined to throw out In the Absence of Truth or Panopticon by Isis.

But, I think that all of those albums pale in comparison to Labor Days by Aesop Rock.

aesoprock_labordays_101b.jpg

I could go on and on about how great it is, but I won't.

Yup.

Rapeasaurus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    geckahn wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    the correct answer to your post, FBC, is

Madonna - Confessions on the Dancefloor
    The Knife - Silent Shout
    Ladytron - Light and Magic
    Felix Da Housecat - Kittenz and Thee Glitz
    Cut Copy - In Ghost Colors
    Soulwax - Nite Versions
    Justice - Cross (Begrudgingly)
    Kylie Minogue - X
    The Chemical Brothers - Surrender
    Eluvium - Copia

Contains ZERO johnny cash while mashing a bunch of dance stuff in that shouldn't be there. Epicest Fail.

I mean, if he'd included something other than JUST dance (with a few albums that shouldn't even be mentioned, madonna, minogue, Chem Bros) I'd maybe excuse it. As it is, he missed my fave AND janked up a bad list. This isn't the "best dance of the past 10 years" or "best pop of the last 10 years" or I might give you a pass.
    and the best chemical brothers album is come with us, which came out in . . 02 or 01. which is amazing.

so this guy epic fails

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    my personal favorite album from the last decade:
    Rilo_Kiley_-_More_Adventurous.jpg
    I could listen to this forever and never get bored of it.

however this is what I'd consider to be the most important/defining/whatever album of that timeframe:
    The_Marshall_Mathers_LP.jpg

some other great albums that I listened to way too damn much:
    200px-PostalService_cover300dpi.jpg200px-Rilo_Kiley_-_The_Execution_Of_All_Things.jpg200px-Gorillaz_Demon_Days.PNG200px-Incubus_make_yourself.jpg200px-St_Elsewhere_Cover_Art.JPG200px-Yyy-fever-to-tell-cover.jpg

SaraLuna on
  • XenosX_XenosX_ Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Minerva_SC wrote: »
    While De-loused was incredible, If I had to choose between the two albulms I would go with Amputechure if only because Tetragrammatron and Viscera Eyes have such powerful endings and are my 2 favorite songs on the albulm. :^:

While Amputechture was a really good album, and Tetragrammaton and Viscera Eyes great songs, I'm going to have to disagree with you on its placement in 'best album'. Compositionally, Amputechture was amazing, in fact probably better than any other Mars Volta album. But Amputechture suffers when compared to any other Mars Volta album because of 1) terrible mixing and 2) terrible playing. If you've ever seen the Mars Volta live, you know that an integral part of their work is improvisation and playing with feel, and perhaps because of Jon Theodore's problems with the band at that point, Amputechture was devoid of good playing and improvisation. Compare the meaty middle section of Cassandra Gemini with the various solos in either Day of the Baphomets or Tetragrammaton, and you'll see a distinct difference. The only song on Amputechture with any sense of emotion at all was Viscera Eyes. Not to mention that sometimes Omar's guitar tone sounded like someone stepping on a duck, and that the drums were nearly mixed out completely. I could see Amputechture being their best album if they did a new version of it with fresh recording.

I would have to say that Frances the Mute is their best album because of the improvisation and cohesiveness as an album. De-loused was not really as well played as Frances, and Bedlam sounded like a bunch of singles (if you can imagine a single that's too long for radio play). Especially with the climax in Cassandra Gemini, the flow from one song/feel to another augments the value of the entire work: greater than the sum of its parts.

XenosX_ on
  • Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Madvillainy_cover.png

or

GhostfaceKillahSupremeClientele.jpg

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Against Me!- Reinventing Axl Rose.

I really don't know what can contend with this.

Amphetamine on
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Past 10 years?

whitepony-cover1.jpg

Deftones - The White Pony - I couldn't make up my mind if I wanted to put this, the self-titled album, or Saturday Night Wrist in this spot. I thought they were all brillianr, but I think the White Pony is the one that has the most consistent level of excellence and the most powerful and memorable songs. It's also one of the most bizarrely erotic albums I can think of, yet it's probably one of the best make-out albums I've ever experienced. Digital Bath, Change (In the House of Flies) and Passenger being the prime examples. In terms of just raw energy, I've never heard another song like Knife Party.

Couldn't agree with you more, White Pony got me through my earlier years of high school. :)

A close runner up would be:

51c2rkleklss500zh0.jpg

While De-loused was incredible, If I had to choose between the two albulms I would go with Amputechure if only because Tetragrammatron and Viscera Eyes have such powerful endings and are my 2 favorite songs on the albulm. :^:
    Look I think De-Loused and Amputechture are fine albums with great songs/moments (amputechture in particular is pretty short on wankery, or when it's there it doesn't ruin everything)

but best of the decade? nah

Cedric Bixler is like Cliffy B of epic games. He can do some awesome explosive histrionic stuff. But ask him to write...

uh oh

Sam on
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    anyway the best album of the last 10 years is either Amnesiac or In Rainbows.

BIG SURPRISE EH

Sam on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Murago wrote: »
    up-Yoshimilarge.jpg

The Flaming Lips
    Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots

I think I win.

I guess I should explain.

A concept album about fighting, pink robots, and the universe.

Excerpt from "Fight Test"

Oh to fight is to defend if it's not
    Now than tell me when would be the time that you would stand up
    And be a man - for to lose I could accept but to surrender
    I just wept and regretted this moment - oh that I - I
    Was the fool

Excerpt from "One More Robot - Sympathy 3000-21"

Unit three thousand twenty one is warning
    Makes a humming sound - when its circuits
    Duplicate emotions - and a sense of coldness detaches
    As it tries to comfort your sadness -

The music is amazing. At times it is sing along space rock. At others, it is a slow drift to the center of the mind. Which is really a journey to the center of the universe.

Plus it had Did you Realize

the sun doesn't go down
    it's just an illusion
    caused
    by the world
    spinnin' round

So good.

But I'd give it to Funeral by The Arcade Fire. Neon Bible was amazing too, but Funeral is pretty much perfect.

I also enjoyed Lily Allen's Alright, Still, but I wouldn't give it an award. It's just fun to listen to.

Oh, crap. One of the Decemberists albums should probably get it, actually. If The Tain counted that would totally be it. Unfortunately, it's only one twenty-five minute song so it probably can't be called a real album.

Mai-Kero on
  • hyperpowerhyperpower Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My 2c

Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile (The Pick)
    Seeing a lot of love for this in here and for good reason. This album is simply incredible although I personally prefer Left to Right.

Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero
    Tells a story and you can listen to it over and over again. I listen to this at least once a week.

Tool - Lateralus
    Incredible.

Other noteworthy albums:
    Rage Against The Machine - The Battle of Los Angeles
    Muse - Black Holes and Revelations
    Moby - Play (I *think* this just makes the cut)

hyperpower on
  • WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Podly wrote: »
    the correct answer to your post, FBC, is

Madonna - Confessions on the Dancefloor
    The Knife - Silent Shout
    Ladytron - Light and Magic
    Felix Da Housecat - Kittenz and Thee Glitz
    Cut Copy - In Ghost Colors
    Soulwax - Nite Versions
    Justice - Cross (Begrudgingly)
    Kylie Minogue - X
    The Chemical Brothers - Surrender
    Eluvium - Copia

Contains ZERO johnny cash while mashing a bunch of dance stuff in that shouldn't be there. Epicest Fail.

I love Cash's American Recordings, but I'm still not sure if what were essentially cover albums should qualify.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    They were cover albums sort of that covered 100 years of time and made artists say, "Yea, that song's HIS now (Danzig)." So I feel like they cover a huge musical span, do it well, and go together as an album, making them my best of the last 10 years. I am listening to arguements for Make Yourself and maybe Eminem's, along with a few others.

Can I mention the Killers first disc just because I liked almost every song on it and it flowed well from start to finish, which it should work!

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dave Matthews Band - Before These Crowded Streets.
    before_these_crowded_streets_b00000638q.jpg

The whole album flows, doesn't have a week song except perhaps "Halloween", covers all styles, presented music that the band would take and run with for the rest of their career, and has great lyrics.
    "Spoon"
    From hand to hand,
    Wrist to the elbow
    Red blood sand
    Could Dad be God?
    Crosses cross hung out like a wet rag
    Forgive you? Why?
    You hung me out to dry
    And maybe I'm crazy
    But laughing out loud
    Makes the pain pass by
    And maybe you're a little crazy
    But laughing out loud makes it all subside
    Holding, I'm holding
    I'm still falling,
    I'm still falling

"Last Stop"
    How is this
    Hate so deep
    Lead us all so blindly killing killing
    Fools we are
    If hate's the gate to peace

Foo Fighters - There is Nothing Left To Loose
    there_is_nothing_left_to_lose_b000020617.jpg

A record made at Dave Grohl's house in Virginia. He used to say that he moved back to Virginia, smoked pot and played Sega with his best friend while making a studio in his basement. The record is loose, real loose, everything happens so easily and all the songs are great and is my favorite Foo's record.

Opeth - Blackwater Park.
    cover_165001282008.jpg

Firstly, it is possibly the BEST MIXED AND MASTERED metal album in existence. The fact you can hear acoustic guitars over the top of screaming metal guitars is great, but the fact it still sounds heavy is awesome. This is the album that "Later" Opeth fans love, and i'm a later Opeth fan. To me this album has everything and is perfectly paced. In terms of the overall layout of the album I feel that this is the best of them, the fact that the title track seems like a giant finale to the entire record seals the deal for me.

Ben Folds Five - The Unauthorized Biography Of Reinhold Mesner.
    media-1192681046-1265.jpg
    DES-ERR-EY, JES-SUIS AMERICAN, PLEASE COOK MY STEAK AGAIN.
    "I love you, good bye." always makes me sniff. *sniff*

Smashing Pumpkins - Adore.
    adore.jpg
    Because I can.

Late Edits:
    deathtsop8ja.jpg
    meshuggah-Chaosphere.jpg

I forgot the album of my teen years! Used to play Gran Turisimo 3 and listen to this album on repeat.
    RemedyLane__2.jpg

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Ebz123Ebz123 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If we're talking Decemberists my choice has to be Picaresque.

But regarding this thread in general, we're clearly not going to arrive at a single best album, but this kind of thing is always good fun, not least because you get exposed to some great music you haven't heard before. I'm definitely going to check out some of the albums that have been mentioned.

Ebz123 on
  • variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This thread calls for a running tally.
    I'll do it tomorrow if someone else doesn't.

variant on
  • ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    XenosX_ wrote: »

While Amputechture was a really good album, and Tetragrammaton and Viscera Eyes great songs, I'm going to have to disagree with you on its placement in 'best album'. Compositionally, Amputechture was amazing, in fact probably better than any other Mars Volta album. But Amputechture suffers when compared to any other Mars Volta album because of 1) terrible mixing and 2) terrible playing. If you've ever seen the Mars Volta live, you know that an integral part of their work is improvisation and playing with feel, and perhaps because of Jon Theodore's problems with the band at that point, Amputechture was devoid of good playing and improvisation. Compare the meaty middle section of Cassandra Gemini with the various solos in either Day of the Baphomets or Tetragrammaton, and you'll see a distinct difference. The only song on Amputechture with any sense of emotion at all was Viscera Eyes. Not to mention that sometimes Omar's guitar tone sounded like someone stepping on a duck, and that the drums were nearly mixed out completely. I could see Amputechture being their best album if they did a new version of it with fresh recording.

I would have to say that Frances the Mute is their best album because of the improvisation and cohesiveness as an album. De-loused was not really as well played as Frances, and Bedlam sounded like a bunch of singles (if you can imagine a single that's too long for radio play). Especially with the climax in Cassandra Gemini, the flow from one song/feel to another augments the value of the entire work: greater than the sum of its parts.

I've never understood this. I love Deloused and I thought Frances the Mute was pretty good too after I did a personal remix and cut 15 minutes of noodling, but Amputechture was risible. I cannot listen to it at all. It's like listening to alley-cats masturbate.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There's one album I really, really have to post my opinions on.

Neon Bible is really alright. It was way over hyped, and to this day I don't understand why it was so well received. The entire album is a direct lift of Springsteen's late 70s work. Born to Run/Darkness on the Edge of Town plus effects pedals and tinges of new wave production. And what gets me more is that it's really acknowledged, and that the band and Springsteen both even admit it openly, and did a small tour together where they played in eachothers' songs.

It's a good album, but it is not even the best album of 2007, much less the best album of the last 10 years.

HadjiQuest on
  • Sol InvictusSol Invictus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Porcupine Tree's In Absentia.

That is all.

Sol Invictus on
  • JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Porcupine Tree's In Absentia.

That is all

I should hope not.

But here, we can find that, and even propose our own albums with our own reasonings.

JamesKeenan on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Wow I can't believe all the love for funeral, not one mention for Neon Bible, which I think is a superior album in every way.

I agree with your assessment but we are in the minority. My nomination was an attempt to combine personal preference with general consensus (Modest Mouse, Good News.... but apparently I'm in the minority there too.

Some other ones to throw out in combo mode
    Elliot Smith - From a Basement on the Hill (I prefer to Figure 8)
    Radiohead - Kid A
    Wilco YHF

Personal preference would lean towards
    Smgoodluck.gif200px-DropkickMurphys-SingLoudSingProud.jpg200px-LTJ-Borders-boundaries.jpgCheerup.jpg
    And a realization that 1998 was a very good year for albums

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Going back over my music library, here are some albums that I consider "classic" that I don't think have been mentioned yet:

2000:
    At the Drive-In- Relationship of Command
    The Avalanches- Since I Left You
    Common- Like Water for Chocolate
    Yo La Tengo- And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out

2001:
    Bob Dylan- Love and Theft
    Explosions in the Sky- Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Die blah blah blah
    Nas- Stillmatic

2002:
    The Decemberists- Castaways and Cutouts
    GZA- Liquid Swords
    The Roots- Phrenology
    Sigur Ros- ( )

2003:
    Death Cab for Cutie- Transatlanticism
    Explosions in the Sky- The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place
    The Shins- Chutes Too Narrow
    The Unicorns- Who Will Cut Out Hair When We're Gone?
    The White Stripes- Elephant
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs- Fever to Tell

2004:
    DJ Danger Mouse- The Grey Album
    Iron and Wine- Our Endless Numbered Days
    Kanye West- The College Dropout

2005:
    Antony and the Johnsons- I Am a Bird Now
    Common- Be
    M83- Before the Dawn Heals Us
    The Mountain Goats- The Sunset Tree
    Stars- Set Yourself on Fire
    Wolf Parade- Apologies to the Queen Mary

2006:
    Girl Talk- Night Ripper
    J Dilla- Donuts

2007:
    Kanye West- Graduation
    Justice- Cross
    Animal Collective- Strawberry Jam

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Amnesiac

Far superior to Kid A anyway

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I guess my selection of albums is pretty limited 'cause I only listen to them when I buy them, and I only buy them when I have the money, which I typically spend on computer stuff or booze. That and it hasn't been 10 years since I seriously started listening to and appreciating more music.

So for me, I'd say either:

Deathcab for Cutie: Plans
    The Killers: Hot Fuss
    Gorillaz: Demon Days
    The Raconteurs: Broken Boy Soldiers

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm pretty surprised to see a couple of mentions of Yeah Yeah Yeah's Fever to Tell and none of Show Your Bones, which I thought was a much better, much more mature album overall. It's not among the best of the last ten years I don't think, but definitely one of the best of the 5 years in my estimation.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • pots+panspots+pans Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The Shape of Punk to Come is very good. Very very good.

pots+pans on
  • thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    pots+pans wrote: »

I read every post to see if anyone has mentioned this. so naturally its the last post.

THIS IS THE ALBUM OF THE DECADE.

While nearly every album mentioned in this thread rocks the shit out of a special place in my heart, REFUSED were truly genius.

A CHIMERICAL BOMBINATION IN 12 BURSTS, this album has it all. If you don't own it, go 'buy' a copy RIGHT NOW.

EDIT: AH SHIT! recorded in 1997 - hell and damn
    EDITED AGAIN: released in October 1998 - what are the rules exactly? I suppose thats still over ten years...

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Neutral Milk Hotel In the Aeroplane over the Sea
    Done!

Did anyone read that 33 1/3 book on the album? Is it worth reading?

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • pots+panspots+pans Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I read every post to see if anyone has mentioned this. so naturally its the last post.

While nearly every album mentioned in this thread rocks the shit out of a special place in my heart, REFUSED were truly genius.

A CHIMERICAL BOMBINATION IN 12 BURSTS, this album has it all. If you don't own it, go 'buy' a copy RIGHT NOW.

EDITED AGAIN: released in October 1998 - what are the rules exactly? I suppose thats still over ten years...

I was hoping it would just about qualify.

There's more coming. We're gonna get, gonna get a little sort of a session going here. A bit of a session, a session that will feature the rhythm section...

pots+pans on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    al5881thirteenthstepmh5.jpg

A Perfect Circle: Thirteenth Step

One of the very few albums out there where I can put it in, turn it on, and never want to skip a track. Fan-freaking-tastic.

beatleslovejh4.jpg

The Beatles: Love

The DVD-Audio release, specifically, is a close second. It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking it up.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Mullitt The WiseMullitt The Wise Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My favorite album is
    iawl.jpg
    It's a Wonderful Life by Sparklehorse.
    I guess it really isn't relevant to our modern times, but it is relevant to, you know, life and mortality.
    Some of my favorite lyrics:

Little Fat Baby (Some of it is from a Vic Chesnutt poem)
    Did you save your wisdom teeth?
    Did you burn your christmas tree?
    He got dragged by a donkey
    Through the dust and the myrtle
    But he was once a little fat baby

Piano Fire
    How do you feel?
    How do you feel?
    I can't seem to breathe with a rusted metal heart
    I can't seem to see through solid marble eyes

Sea of Teeth
    stars will always hang in summer's bleeding fang
    but seas forever boil, trees will turn to soil

Apple Bed
    Of horses wet
    With melted ice
    They would not heed
    My advice
    And burdened limbs
    Of it's weight
    To break and rot
    A whispered fate

Please
    Doctor, please

A remedy
    In a bloody sea
    To breach the hive
    And smoke the bees
    You can be my friend
    You can be my dog
    You can be my life
    You can be my fog

Please
    Doctor, please

The witches will return to their sticky tree knots
    I will feel the sun
    I will feel the sun
    I will feel the sun coming down

I wish I had
    A horse's head
    A tiger's heart
    An apple bed

Mullitt The Wise on
    balloonssig.jpg
  • Ebz123Ebz123 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Thank you for bringing this up, I've been meaning to get it for years, definitely going on the list.

Ebz123 on
  • KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm pretty surprised to see a couple of mentions of Yeah Yeah Yeah's Fever to Tell and none of Show Your Bones, which I thought was a much better, much more mature album overall. It's not among the best of the last ten years I don't think, but definitely one of the best of the 5 years in my estimation.

Show Your Bones is much more mature, sure, and maybe it was more consistent. But Fever To Tell was raw, regardless of whether or not that rawness was intentional. With the maturity of SYB came a bit of a bore, in my opinion.

As for me, I can't really decide. But.

The White Stripes - White Blood Cells. This (and, partially, Elephant) was the last album before Jack White started to get a little too ambitious with his 2 person, 3 aspect/colour band.

Interpol - TOTBL. This album is dark and danceable, the lyrics are amazingly ridiculous, to the point of hilarity. I also liked their follow up, though, but can't stand their latest. Also helped bring to the forefront a trendy, grimy New York scene that I hadn't seen in a while.

Beck - Anything. I have gone on and off with listening to him, but all of his albums seem to turn out well. If he doesn't have the best album of the past 10 years, he's definitely one of the best, most consistent artists of the years.

Menomena - Friend or Foe.

Mos Def - Black on Both Sides. One of my favorite hip hop albums of all times, and it's a shame that Mos hasn't followed up with anything relevant.

Bright Eyes - Lifted. Probably the only album of theirs that deserves the hype. I can go back and listen to this time after time and catch some clever turn of phrase that I'd missed before. It's nothing too deep or profound, but it's still really good, especially in comparison to the blandness Conor produces nowadays.

Arcade Fire - Funeral. It just seems like it needs to be included. It's pretty good, with a few lacking spots, but I think the fact that it made it to the mainstream is pretty significant, especially because it had an affect on music being made for Top 40 (Coldplay, off the top of my head. Though anything is better than X & Y I guess).

Those are off the top of my head, and I'll admit to a few things: I haven't listened to all of Radiohead's albums, nor Sigur Ros. Also, the Kinks, the Beach Boys, Bowie and other such artists are what I've been listening to for the past few weeks, so thinking of recent stuff is tough.

edit: I completely forgot about Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots. Definitely one of my favorite albums of the past few years.

Kealoha on
    !! ! ! !!
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My favorite album is
    iawl.jpg
    It's a Wonderful Life by Sparklehorse.
    I guess it really isn't relevant to our modern times, but it is relevant to, you know, life and mortality.
    Some of my favorite lyrics:

Little Fat Baby (Some of it is from a Vic Chesnutt poem)
    Did you save your wisdom teeth?
    Did you burn your christmas tree?
    He got dragged by a donkey
    Through the dust and the myrtle
    But he was once a little fat baby

Piano Fire
    How do you feel?
    How do you feel?
    I can't seem to breathe with a rusted metal heart
    I can't seem to see through solid marble eyes

Sea of Teeth
    stars will always hang in summer's bleeding fang
    but seas forever boil, trees will turn to soil

Apple Bed
    Of horses wet
    With melted ice
    They would not heed
    My advice
    And burdened limbs
    Of it's weight
    To break and rot
    A whispered fate

Please
    Doctor, please

A remedy
    In a bloody sea
    To breach the hive
    And smoke the bees
    You can be my friend
    You can be my dog
    You can be my life
    You can be my fog

Please
    Doctor, please

The witches will return to their sticky tree knots
    I will feel the sun
    I will feel the sun
    I will feel the sun coming down

I wish I had
    A horse's head
    A tiger's heart
    An apple bed

Yes.

This.

HadjiQuest on
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    BlindGuardian-NightfallinMiddle-Ear.pngDemonsWizards.png

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    weakerthans.jpg

Weakerthans--Reconstruction Site

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    For me, it has to be 'Scenes From A Memory' by Dream Theater.
    It's also surreal for me that it just barely falls under "past 10 years".

200px-Dream_Theater_-_Metropolis_Pt._2-_Scenes_from_a_Memory.jpg
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scenes_From_A_Memory

For those who haven't heard of it, it's a progressive metal rock opera. It follows the character Nicholas, who's recounting to a psychiatrist strange dreams he has been having about a girl named Victoria. Victoria was killed in 1928, while Nicholas is living in 1963.

The music is incredible, ranging from complex epic progressive pieces, to simple piano backed songs, setting the atmosphere perfectly for each section. The story is well told, and is quite interesting in itself.

This is the album that got me into progressive music, and many of the songs (especially Overture 1928, the first I heard from it) still send a chill down my spine in a good way every time I hear them.

I can't speak to what others will take from the album, or if others will even like it, but for me, nothing tops it.

TubularLuggage on
This discussion has been closed.