As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Brutal Legend: Buy it, it's awesome.

• FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »
    Faffel wrote: »
    I'm wearing my motherfucking shirt of a monster crushing a soldier's head from when I saw these guys live. I screamed and headbanged so hard that I had no voice, a headache, and ringing ears for 32 hours. It was the single greatest thing I've ever done and my first concert ever.

What a goddamned band.

I catch them *whenever* they're in Seattle. No exceptions. They were in town this last Friday, and I am still unable to twist my torso or put weight on my left leg. There's something about these guys (like, the utter awesomeness) that draws everyone into the pit, and they tend to bring in an amazingly quality crowd. The kind of guys who won't hesitate to elbow your face one moment, then help pick you up and give a grin and a high five.

Fucking incredible every time. They also had the original Star Trek fight music playing before the came on during this last show, which was awesome.

They did the fight music here, too. The club also opened by playing the Number of the Beast (the album) as a primer. I really was amazed by the crowd... I didn't hit the mosh pit, but there were a lot of people smashing eachother into the crowd, then helping them right back up. I was also on the very edge of the mosh pit, the first line between the pit and the crowd. Prime position, I thought. People would go crashing out the side door cuz the pit would go domino, and it was just a great time.

Moar metal for the metal thread!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGUWh5hCS9Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqzlDlZw5kw

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »
    This game looks interesting, but holy fuck that OP contains an abomination.... or some thing like a stillborn abomination of an abomination.

D:

I'll make up for it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOLa_CISmJc
    ]

I'm wearing my motherfucking shirt of a monster crushing a soldier's head from when I saw these guys live. I screamed and headbanged so hard that I had no voice, a headache, and ringing ears for 32 hours. It was the single greatest thing I've ever done and my first concert ever.

What a goddamned band.

I've yet to see them live, but my brother got me to start listening to them. Funny, not what I thought the singer would look like.

Mr Obersmith on
    Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I couldn't see the videos, so I was wondering who "they", "this band" and "so fucking metal" were referring to. Then somebody said "Number of the Beast", and I smiled.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    templewulf wrote: »
    I couldn't see the videos, so I was wondering who "they", "this band" and "so fucking metal" were referring to. Then somebody said "Number of the Beast", and I smiled.

Most of that was in reference to 3 Inches of Blood, thought I did have a Maiden video up there too. :D

I love 3 Inches, but seeing Maiden was maybe the best show I've ever been to.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The music in Brutal Legend needs to have some sort of "epic" feeling to it. Something 3IOB or The Sword could easily do. "Destroy the Orcs" or "The White Sea" would be awesome songs to behead demons to.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fiziks wrote: »
    guar wrote: »
    And the entire audience responded in unison, "Tim who?"
    Tim Schafer is indeed a rainbow in the dark.

I thought this was funny.

Some The Sword would be good. From what I understand of the game at least.

EskimoDave on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    L|ama wrote: »
    Elitistb wrote: »
    About that Necrophagist, that crap isn't rock, and it's the worst kind of metal. If you're going to sing, SING. If you're going to yell, YELL. If you're going to lower your voice is some stupid ass fashion so no one can understand you, then DON'T.

Dio is awesome, because he can sing. People like the lead singer of Necrophagist are not awesome, because they can't sing.

Well done, you're ignorant! Do you think that rap is stupid because they just talk real fast over a backing track? Do you think Dio singing to that song would really sound good and fit in with the music?
    Honestly it would sound a lot better than the shit their lead singer spits out. Really death metal boils down to "hey, lets take real metal, and replace the vocals with shit! whoo it'll be awesome!" :|

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    edited December 2008
    L|ama wrote: »
    Elitistb wrote: »
    About that Necrophagist, that crap isn't rock, and it's the worst kind of metal. If you're going to sing, SING. If you're going to yell, YELL. If you're going to lower your voice is some stupid ass fashion so no one can understand you, then DON'T.

Dio is awesome, because he can sing. People like the lead singer of Necrophagist are not awesome, because they can't sing.

Well done, you're ignorant! Do you think that rap is stupid because they just talk real fast over a backing track? Do you think Dio singing to that song would really sound good and fit in with the music?
    Honestly it would sound a lot better than the shit their lead singer spits out. Really death metal boils down to "hey, lets take real metal, and replace the vocals with shit! whoo it'll be awesome!" :|

You sure know a lot about death metal! Boy, you must have spent hundreds of hours listening to it.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I just find it funny that I am absolutely the least 'metal' person in this thread.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fiziks wrote: »
    The music in Brutal Legend needs to have some sort of "epic" feeling to it. Something 3IOB or The Sword could easily do. "Destroy the Orcs" or "The White Sea" would be awesome songs to behead demons to.

3 inches of Blood? Epic?

Look, if you want epic metal.

Helloween.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hey guys!

4718c89239bd0_featured_without_text_470fe460e2cc5_featured_without_text_brutal_legend.jpg

Latest OXM has Brutal Legend Cover story.
    --The goal of Brutal Legend is to fulfill the promise of all those lyrics and all that lore, and not have it just be another Tolkeinesque elves in tights fantasy, but a collection of everything cool that we like, all put together. You could go back to this fantasy world, but you bring your Camaro with you.

--You play as rock roadie Eddie Riggs- “a man out of time, who should have been born in the early Seventies.”

--Eddie gets injured in a stage accident, ad some of his blood gets into the mouth of his belt buckle-which he doesn’t know is an ancient amulet of time travel. When Eddie wakes up, he’s in the same place he was before, only the foam and fiberglass stage set has been swapped for a real stone, and the audience has been replaced by piles of human remains.

--But then the red-robed demons surrounding an enormous double bladed axe….that’s new. Eddie quickly grabs the Separator, which will have it’s own history reveled in time, and hacks the baddies to bloody bits.

--Schafer says, the whole world is like and amplifier, Eddie’s guitar Clementine, is imbued with destructive force magic.

--Once slightly safe Eddie realizes he’s atop a grisly temple made of skulls and corpses, and the landscapes of this strange world is full of giant swords sticking out of the ground, towers of bone, pits of fire, wheels of plain, and other stuff you’d see, well, in the pages of Heavy Metal Thunder.

--They tried to make every piece of concept art look like it could be a heavy metal album cover.

--Eddie snaps together a hot rod (the Duece) and teams up with Ophelia, a comely member of the human resistance who becomes Eddie’s love interest.

--Gives a bit more background on what is next then from here you’re free to explore Brutal Legend open world finding battles and joining them at open will. YES YES YES

--OXM states: For there first glimpse of the game on 360 hardware Brutal Legend looks alarmingly complete, but then again, it has been in development since 2005.

--Characters look fantastic and the Age of Metal realm looks fully realized. Most of the voices are already done including Eddie Riggs.

--But will the average gamer get it too? Schafer says: The jokes were making about metal, people also get outside of metal. At the end of it, it’s a story about Eddie’s aspirations and the love interest and stuff, and that is stuff anyone can relate to.

--On track for a 09 release.

--Schafer sums it up: “There is a scene in School of Rock where Jack is singing ‘Immigrant Song’ by Led Zepplin, Schafer recalls. “He does this thing, ‘Hammer of the Gods!’ And they cut to a shot of the girl in the van, and there’s an Iron Maiden sticker on the wall. And I felt, ah…..it is rising in the zeitgeist…it’s time! It’s time for this game to be made!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ee5PnqZ8mdg&feature=related

The_Scarab on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't know if this got posted:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43623.html

tofu on
  • riposte101riposte101 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I wonder how much of Jack Black's humor will get through with Tim Shaffer doing the writing.

riposte101 on
    edited December 2008
    He has a double edged battle axe that is not only on fire but shoots lightning.

Any other aspect of the game is entirely moot.

The_Scarab on
    edited December 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

The only problem I can see is that the axe is not an axe-shaped guitar.

Antihippy on
    edited December 2008
    Antihippy wrote: »

(His guitar transforms into said axe)

The_Scarab on
  • VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    No, see the axe is actually a guitar. "Axe." Like they are the same weapon.

Verr on
    edited December 2008

I see no problem at all then.

Antihippy on
  • CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    tofu wrote: »

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    look at avatar/sig

Cymoro on
    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
  • Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    tofu wrote: »

Brilliant.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This just can't get here soon enough. I want sooner.

earthwormadam on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    After watching that trailer, I have this incredible urge to go out and bite a bat's head off.

Zxerol on
  • VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

But in the trailer it shows the axe and guitar as separate.

Vray on
    edited December 2008
    Vray wrote: »

But in the trailer it shows the axe and guitar as separate.

He has two guitars.

Yes gentlemen, any question that you could possibly think of that begins with 'does he have...' the answer is yes.

The_Scarab on
  • CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This game is going to have "The Mob Rules" and "The Hellion/Electric Eye" as combat music, not to mention the other songs we don't yet know about. Can you just imagine how unutterably awesome it's going to be to cleave demons in half with a gigantic axe with that kind of soundtrack? Or render them down to skeletons with a blistering solo played on what can charitably be described as a magic hell guitar? Oh yes, this is a game I will purchase.

I suppose the only thing I really want to find out now is what role Ronnie James Dio has in Brutal Legend. :D

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2008
    This game is going to have "The Mob Rules" and "The Hellion/Electric Eye" as combat music, not to mention the other songs we don't yet know about. Can you just imagine how unutterably awesome it's going to be to cleave demons in half with a gigantic axe with that kind of soundtrack? Or render them down to skeletons with a blistering solo played on what can charitably be described as a magic hell guitar? Oh yes, this is a game I will purchase.

I suppose the only thing I really want to find out now is what role Ronnie James Dio has in Brutal Legend. :D

Narrator I believe.

Though it all pales in comparison to Lemmy from motorhead as the main villain. I mean, can this game get more rock?

The_Scarab on
    edited December 2008
    Calling my GOTY '09 right here.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mystic_knightmystic_knight Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I need to know why this game isn't slated for PC.

mystic_knight on
    edited December 2008

Because god hates people like us.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mystic_knightmystic_knight Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Because god hates people like us.

Man that guy can be such a bigot.

mystic_knight on
  • RCagentRCagent Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    All we fucking need is Geddy Lee from Rush to be a fucking Metal Wizard or someshit.

Damnit. I would be so happy.

RCagent on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Apparently, PC users just aren't metal enough. D:

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    edited December 2008
    I think the guy from Gorgoroth should make a guest appearance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQJqZFUell8

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Narrator I believe.

Though it all pales in comparison to Lemmy from motorhead as the main villain. I mean, can this game get more rock?

:O

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2008
    RCagent wrote: »
    All we fucking need is Geddy Lee from Rush to be a fucking Metal Wizard or someshit.

I do not want to hear Geddy lee's voice in a video game.

I do not want to hear Geddy lee ever.

Antihippy on
  • CohsaeCohsae Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

What if he was an enemy and you got to kill him?

Cohsae on
    sig.gif
    edited December 2008
    Cohsae wrote: »

Does he speak?

If so no.

Antihippy on
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Does he speak?

If so no.

don't be mean to Geddy Lee guys

what you say about his company is what you say about society

YaYa on
    edited December 2008
    YaYa wrote: »

Does he speak?

If so no.

don't be mean to Geddy Lee guys

what you say about his company is what you say about society

Catch the mist, catch the myth.

Antihippy on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    riposte101 wrote: »
    I wonder how much of Jack Black's humor will get through with Tim Shaffer doing the writing.

Though Tim Shaffer wrote it, he said Jack Black riffed his own ad libs all over the place.

Truly, it will be glorious.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293