As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stranger Than Fiction [SPOILERS]

aquabataquabat Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Just saw this tonight... has anyone else seen it? Its extremely Kaufman-esque in terms of being (I think this is the right term) metafiction and post modern tale of a guy named Harold (Will Ferrel) who lives his life in an obsessive compulsive manor for 8 years until one day he starts hearing a womans voice narrate everything he does.

She briefly mentions his imminent death, which make him search her out.

Also, Maggie Gyllenhall plays the Manic Pixie Girl Who Changes His Life but she's so fucking sexy it didnt bother me.

All in all, I enjoyed the fuck out of it. Anyone else dig it?

aquabat on

• Options
    AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It was decent, Dustin Hoffman was entertaining, and Maggie Gyllenhaal was delicious as usual. That's probably the two best things it has going for it, I think. I remember towards the end thinking "What the fuck?" in regards to some of the elements of the story, which got pretty out there... even for this movie. Almost got the feeling whoever wrote it kind of backed themself into a corner.

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    aquabat wrote:
    Just saw this tonight... has anyone else seen it? Its extremely Kaufman-esque in terms of being (I think this is the right term) metafiction and post modern tale of a guy named Harold (Will Ferrel) who lives his life in an obsessive compulsive manor for 8 years until one day he starts hearing a womans voice narrate everything he does.

She briefly mentions his imminent death, which make him search her out.

Also, Maggie Gyllenhall plays the Manic Pixie Girl Who Changes His Life but she's so fucking sexy it didnt bother me.

All in all, I enjoyed the fuck out of it. Anyone else dig it?

I wish they had killed Will Farrell in the end.

Other than that, I enjoyed it.

I got that Monkeys song he plays on his guitar on iTunes.

Shinto on
  • Options
    CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Shinto wrote:
    I wish they had killed Will Farrell in the end.

Why? I thought Emma Thompson's character did a good job explaining why she didn't kill him off, and I agree with her.

Also, I think it's "Wreckless Eric" that is playing the Monkeys' song in the movie, although the Monkeys' version is better.

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It had Tony Hale in it. I quite liked that.

Gim on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Best movie I've seen in a hell of a long time. I thought everyone acted at least halfway realistically under the premise- if I'm Will, I probably start with 'what the fuck' and then get to 'WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU, YOU LITTLE BASTARD' once I hear the part about death. If I'm Emma, I'm slightly nuts, but then, some writers get like that when writer's block sets in, and then I freak the fuck out when I find out what's going on, and I'd probably come to the conclusion that I killed eight people too- if it happened here, who's to say the same thing hasn't happened with my other books? And I'd lose my nerve when it came time to kill off Ferrell, too.

The one problem I've got is the part where Ferrell's asked to consent to his own death. The writers did as good a job as could be expected in trying to explain it- I certainly couldn't do any better- but in what world are you going to say 'yes' to something like that? Or ask someone to say 'yes'? That bothered me, but it's still a damn good movie.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    aquabat wrote:
    It bothered me and I didn't think a whole lot of the movie, but that is a fantastic term/definition. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Gim wrote:
    aquabat wrote:
    It bothered me and I didn't think a whole lot of the movie, but that is a fantastic term/definition. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

The whole character archetype is getting kinda old, though Gyllenhall is all kinds of sexy.. exactly my type of girl looks wise.

aquabat on
  • Options
    SoonerManSoonerMan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I thought it was good, funny, and Will Ferrel did well for a role that isn't just "WACKY!"

SoonerMan on
    Rah, Oklahoma! Rah, Oklahoma! Rah, Oklahoma~! O-K-U!
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    A whole bunch of kids came into the theatre and left with about half an hour to go. I ra-heally dont think they were expecting what STF is, and when they realised it didnt contain any wacky shit it was too late! TOO LATE! MWAHAHAHA

aquabat on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    SoonerMan wrote:
    I thought it was good, funny, and Will Ferrel did well for a role that isn't just "WACKY!"

I thought it was great, yeah. Will Ferrel was definitely the straight man in this one, which is probably why I enjoy it so much more than a lot of his other movies. All too often, he goes Robin Williams-style overboard. This one was low key, and I loved it.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    SoonerMan wrote:

I thought it was great, yeah. Will Ferrel was definitely the straight man in this one, which is probably why I enjoy it so much more than a lot of his other movies. All too often, he goes Robin Williams-style overboard. This one was low key, and I loved it.

So did I.

I also really enjoyed the "instructional graphics" that they had following him around (while he was tying his tie for work, when he was taking the numbered steps to the bus stop)...I thought that was a really cool touch.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    TheMorningStarTheMorningStar Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I loved this movie also. I thought it had a very "Douglas Adams" feel to it.

I mean, the whole digital watch thing...

TheMorningStar on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2007
    I also really enjoyed the "instructional graphics" that they had following him around (while he was tying his tie for work, when he was taking the numbered steps to the bus stop)...I thought that was a really cool touch.
    Yeah, those were really great. The cinematography was also nice - very stilized and very clean lines. I liked it.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I loved this movie also. I thought it had a very "Douglas Adams" feel to it.

I mean, the whole digital watch thing...

YES! That sentiment perfectly encapsulates my feelings towards the movie!

This movie fills the hole of the Hitchhikers Guide movie that sadly never came to be.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2007
    Shinto wrote:
    The only music I really remember from the movie were old-school punk songs. I remember The Jam, and I thought the song he played on his guitar was from some leser-known punk dude.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Irond Will wrote:
    Shinto wrote:
    The only music I really remember from the movie were old-school punk songs. I remember The Jam, and I thought the song he played on his guitar was from some leser-known punk dude.

What about the plethora of Spoon songs? And that song he played was written by the Monkeys, but in the movie it was played by Wreckless Eric, who is in fact some lesser-known punk dude.

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Irond Will wrote:
    Shinto wrote:
    What about the plethora of Spoon songs? And that song he played was written by the Monkeys, but in the movie it was played by Wreckless Eric, who is in fact some lesser-known punk dude.
    Yeah I guess that was Spoon. They really work that ELO-style bassline.

eit: Wiki has that "Whole Wide World" song as written by Wreckless Eric.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png