As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Valkyria Chronicles - discussion of the anime also welcome

• FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    what anime is that keikaku quote from?

It's from a legendarily crappy fansub of Death Note. Sadly, I don't know which fansub group.

No, even the original "keikaku means plan" image was meant as a joke, and no DN fansubbers ever acually did anything like that.

So some stupid weaboos decided to fan-sub something and then use Japanese terms that only weeaboos will know?

So glad I got out of that community before it exploded. It was bad back then, but anime fans seem to be more retarded now-days. Then again, so do the new anime in general. Not seen one title that's caught my eye.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wren wrote: »
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Someone should mention the Skies of Arcadia playable characters.

vysemotherfuckers.jpg

you can clearly see her panties melt at the sight of such a manly man in action

Vyse has always been a pimp, this should already have been known! Prior SOA evidence spoilered for huge imagery size and Aika and Fina in a bed (don't worry, it's not NSFW :D):
    SoA_755.jpg
    SoA_801.jpg
    SoA_168.jpg
    SoA_252.jpg
    SoA_182.jpg
    SoA_337.jpg
    SoA_339.jpg
    SoA_545.jpg
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I have more to personally gain with the avatar I have now, actually.

Also, I think it's Sega's own fault for making it for the PS3. Still a great game, great lore, I hope it gets sequel'd.

It's Sega's fault, but not for making it for the ps3. Don't forget Sony's market share is far more impressive in Japan, whch is where it was expected to sell better anyway.

Saying they have a better market share in Japan compared to the 360 isn't really saying much though.
    DVG wrote: »
    XiaNaphryz wrote: »
    Finished this a couple days ago. Awesome awesome game, though I wish the ending were more like SOA with wrapping up what happened to the rest of your crew. They gave that treatment to the main/secondary chars though.

Definitely my runner up for GOTY!

VC%20chibi.jpg

Oh God, please tell me you can make a high res desktop version of this.

Found that on GAF, dunno if there's a higher-res source or not.

XiaNaphryz on
  • zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    justasplanne.jpg

DUDE!!!!!!

THEY LOOK JUST LIKE MISA AND LIGHT!!!!!

(lets see who know who they are lol)

zllehs on
    edited December 2008
    btw.... whats up with the plate on the breasts of the girls of squad 7? lol

zllehs on
  • OneWingedOtakuOneWingedOtaku Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    zllehs wrote: »

No idea, but I know the scout symbol looks just like a "something unprouncable" beetle! [/welkin]

OneWingedOtaku on
    Gamertag:
    OneWingedOtaku.png
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So after a crazy holiday I got myself a new 40" LCD. Gonna go and finish this game, finally. Still on chapter 10.

Oh and thanks, guys, I've added Skies of Arcadia to my gamefly queue. I assume the GC version is good?

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2008
    ok... ima tackle chapter 13 today... the one with the huge battle and the bunkers... i took a sneak peak at it last night to see what i was in for...

so here are my 2 squads that i plan on using to break through their defense and take over their base...

LEFT SIDE (with the snipers porch)

Catherine
    Aisha
    Edy
    Salinas

RIGHT SIDE

Vyse
    Alex
    Aika
    Rosie

yes im going heavy with the shocktroopers...
    im expecting alot of ground troops on the other side...

no tanks though apparently... not until i takeover the middle base if i remember correctly...

so how am i set up?
    (everyone is at level 10 btw...)

zllehs on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    read the first volume of the manga and now I want to play even more. see if I could just get paid..

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited December 2008
    read the first volume of the manga and now I want to play even more. see if I could just get paid..

MANGA!?!?!??!?!?!

zllehs on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    yes. it apparently follows the games story loosely but is pretty much non-canon. still a good read I guess though not the best manga ever.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I am a terrible person.

Every time I start up Left 4 Dead, I stare at the PS3 controller and empty VC box sitting next to the monitor and think, "maybe today I'll start playing this awesome game". Then I go kill zombies for 6 hours and forget about it.

I am a terrible, terrible person :P

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm on the last chapter, but probably won't get to play it until later tonight, or tomorrow(Yay! work...bleh)

I lost Wavy on ch.14. The reinforcements were just too much for the old school teacher.

also, in regards to Faldio
    I agree with him. They would have all died if Alicia hadn't unlocked her awesome powers.

never die on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    I am a terrible person.

Every time I start up Left 4 Dead, I stare at the PS3 controller and empty VC box sitting next to the monitor and think, "maybe today I'll start playing this awesome game". Then I go kill zombies for 6 hours and forget about it.

I am a terrible, terrible person :P

Yes you are
    But you've made awesome sigs
    So.... I guess you're even then

Rent on
    edited December 2008
    I was reading through the old thread, and found alot of you guys apparently have a huge female team. That made me think, and I realized that I'm pretty even really. My normal team consists of Welkin and Zaka(who are mandatory, so they don't count), then Rosie, Nadine, Ramsey, and Alicia for the girls while Vyse, Cesary, Noce, and Largo for the boys.

Also, I think it would have been great if they had done like Fire Emblem usually does and have a chapter where you can use a rediculous amount of team members. For example
    The plains of Naggiar(1) would have been perfect for this. Give you a larger amount of starting cp to counterbalance the larger group, and allow you to use like, fifteen units all together. Double or triple the amount of soldiers on the other side, add another gatling gun or two, and that fight could have been even more amazing. Also, have each enemy base get like four new soldiers in reinforcements every turn until the base is taken.

never die on
  • Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If your suggestion were to be implemented, it would be great if you could skip enemy battle animations (like only seeing their actions from the overhead map. You still need to know which of their troops have moved, after all).

Chrono Helix on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I keep a fair number of males in my squad. Salinas, Vyse and Ceasory I get a lot of millage out of. And Mr. Blonde hair in my sig... when a mission calls for two lances which is hardly EVER.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I want a spin-off game where you play as the main Gallian army. It would play mostly the same, except the battles would be of much larger scale, and instead of moving a single person at a time you control squads at a time, and tanks in group of three or so.

Really I just want more VC in any form that I can get. :(

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Crashmo wrote: »
    I want a spin-off game where you play as the main Gallian army. It would play mostly the same, except the battles would be of much larger scale, and instead of moving a single person at a time you control squads at a time, and tanks in group of three or so.

Wish Granted, you owe me 20 bucks

Rent on
    edited December 2008
    Crashmo wrote: »

lmao... that sounds like a RTS game to me... not a SRPG

zllehs on
    edited December 2008
    ok... ima tackle chapter 13 today... the one with the huge battle and the bunkers... i took a sneak peak at it last night to see what i was in for...

so here are my 2 squads that i plan on using to break through their defense and take over their base...

Catherine
    Aisha
    Edy
    Salinas

RIGHT SIDE

Vyse
    Alex
    Aika
    Rosie

no tanks though apparently... not until i takeover the middle base if i remember correctly...

so how am i set up?

some help here people!

zllehs on
    edited December 2008

Catherine
    Aisha
    Edy
    Salinas

RIGHT SIDE

Vyse
    Alex
    Aika
    Rosie

so how am i set up?

some help here people!

That looks fine, but once you get to the base that calls in the strikes you might want to sub in a lancer.

never die on
  • XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Was this posted yet? From teh GAF:
    maskrider wrote:
    Heh ! After these ...

ss2809.jpg

Looks like these are coming !

ss2810.jpgss2811.jpgss2812.jpg

XiaNaphryz on
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Edy's hair color seems to vary wildly depending on the medium she is being presented in.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I like.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited December 2008
    lmao... just the girls?

well we know who will be buying these than...

zllehs on
  • Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited December 2008

Catherine
    Aisha
    Edy
    Salinas

RIGHT SIDE

Vyse
    Alex
    Aika
    Rosie

so how am i set up?

some help here people!
    Is this the trench one? here's how I did the mission:
    I brought in six units, and ensured my shock troops had some really high damage flamethrowers at this point (captured ones, for one hit kills on units in cover). Rosie, Largo, Alicia, and, three more shock troopers. Largo and Alicia were just there for the CPs. Distributed the shocktroops so I had two on each side and just run them up taking bases, killing emplacements and killing dudes until they met together in the upper-middle base.

I left Largo and Alicia back, and only retreated Largo and brought him back in when the center base was taken. I think I might have also called in an engineer to restock Largo's ammo, but when I think about it, was a wasted CP.

When the gate opens from taken the center base, I stuck one shock trooper crouching in front of the trench entrance to cover my back (they will attack). Then I moved three remaining Shock troops and Largo to the far left to attack them from the back entrance.

Also, Selvaria also comes in at this point, but I just hid my tanks behind the south-west most hill and they were fine.

I used Largo to clear the mine field. The mines will propel him forward and give him so much extra movement and he takes very little damage from it. Because Selvaria wants to kill your tanks, this is the quickest way to move him up. Saves CP!

I snuck the shock troops from behind, grenaded their cover, and then killed the infantry that would fire on largo if he tried to approach their tank. Once their was no more intercepting fire to hurt Largo, I brought him up to one-shot the tanks in the behind.

Then I ordered the shock troop guarding the trenches to attack the front entrance and mop up any remaining infantry and captured the base.

Dareth Ram on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Catherine
    Aisha
    Edy
    Salinas

RIGHT SIDE

Vyse
    Alex
    Aika
    Rosie

so how am i set up?

some help here people!
    Is this the trench one? here's how I did the mission:
    I brought in six units, and ensured my shock troops had some really high damage flamethrowers at this point (captured ones, for one hit kills on units in cover). Rosie, Largo, Alicia, and, three more shock troopers. Largo and Alicia were just there for the CPs. Distributed the shocktroops so I had two on each side and just run them up taking bases, killing emplacements and killing dudes until they met together in the upper-middle base.

I left Largo and Alicia back, and only retreated Largo and brought him back in when the center base was taken. I think I might have also called in an engineer to restock Largo's ammo, but when I think about it, was a wasted CP.

When the gate opens from taken the center base, I stuck one shock trooper crouching in front of the trench entrance to cover my back (they will attack). Then I moved three remaining Shock troops and Largo to the far left to attack them from the back entrance.

Also, Selvaria also comes in at this point, but I just hid my tanks behind the south-west most hill and they were fine.

I used Largo to clear the mine field. The mines will propel him forward and give him so much extra movement and he takes very little damage from it. Because Selvaria wants to kill your tanks, this is the quickest way to move him up. Saves CP!

I snuck the shock troops from behind, grenaded their cover, and then killed the infantry that would fire on largo if he tried to approach their tank. Once their was no more intercepting fire to hurt Largo, I brought him up to one-shot the tanks in the behind.

Then I ordered the shock troop guarding the trenches to attack the front entrance and mop up any remaining infantry and captured the base.

My generic strategy
    snipe from the left with one or two snipers taking turns on the sniper tower and use a second team on the right side to rush from the right. using the right path, you can then kill all the way to the left end.

noticing the cap point was a event and not the end of the round, i ended my turn and capped it at the start of my next turn. then i did the second half of the map in one turn so i never even saw the reinforcements that arrive.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    XiaNaphryz wrote: »
    Was this posted yet? From teh GAF:
    maskrider wrote:
    Heh ! After these ...

ss2809.jpg

Looks like these are coming !

ss2810.jpgss2811.jpgss2812.jpg

I so need these....

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Liabe BraveLiabe Brave Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The guys have the exact same armor plates, actually. You just didn't notice because you aren't staring at their breasts. :winky:

Liabe Brave on
    My name is Christian Smith.
    "I just want people to see my action heart."
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    finally just tried the demo
    holy balls this game just became a must purchase

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited January 2009
    Hardtarget wrote: »

THATS WHAT WEVE BEEN SAYING THIS WHOLE TIME
    Also, get a VC sig you :P

Rent on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Where's that suggested thread title about voting this as PA Game of the Year, huh?

I'll probably make this my #1. It's really down to three games for me: Valkyria Chronicles, Fallout 3 and Prince of Persia.

Fallout 3 is a great game, but really it feels like what Oblivion should have been back in 2006. I still enjoy the hell out of it, however. The ending is a serious downer, though, and it lacks a New Game+ (which is a feature I've come to adore over most others).

Prince of Persia is fantastic, it's easy in the sense that you can't really die, but it shows me what a game can be like without lives or game overs, and what it shows me is good. When you get into a flow with this game, it's hard to bitch about any difficulty issues. Combat (I thought) was fantastic, how Sands of Time should have been.

But Valkyria Chronicles...let me say that, for the most part, I cannot stand strategy games. The only one to ever entice me before was Fire Emblem, and I'm going to attribute that to the fact that instead of watching the action from afar, it showed my character actually cutting the enemy with a sword, etc. It's a small aesthetic difference, but that went a long way into drawing me further into the world than it would have if the gameplay than were zoomed out the entire time. I never finished, but I knew it was at least possible to make an SRPG that I enjoyed.

So imagine how I felt playing Valkyria Chronicles, when not only are you given a close-up view of the action, I am actually physically controlling it, it's not predetermined and it is not done through menus. It's just as beautiful (if not moreso) than Prince of Persia, with equally endearing characters. I love the controls, the user interface, everything about it.

Typing it out like that, I do believe I can choose VC as my Game of the Year. Prince of Persia was very delightful, and both are quite lengthy (if you choose to go for 100% in Prince of Persia), but getting me to love a strategy game is a much greater accomplishment than a genre I was already partial to (I already loved climbing all over shit in Uncharted, Mirror's Edge, TR and previous PoPs).

tl;dr - Valkyria Chronicles for Game of the Year!

UnbreakableVow on
    edited January 2009
    Rent wrote: »

THATS WHAT WEVE BEEN SAYING THIS WHOLE TIME
    Also, get a VC sig you :P

what the.. where did my sig go in general?! I never even noticed it was gone.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • The Lord of HatsThe Lord of Hats Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I like how there's such a clear pattern to learning about this game.

Newguy: Hey, I heard this game is good. Should I get it?

Everyone: YES GET IT RIGHT NOW.

Newguy: Eh... I think I'll just download the demo.

Newguy: HOLY SHIT THIS IS AWESOME, I JUST BOUGHT THE GAME

Rent: Get a VC sig you.

The Lord of Hats on
    edited January 2009
    Rent should just change his location to "Get a VC sig you."

UnbreakableVow on
    edited January 2009
    game is 70 bucks for some reason at futureshop?
    best buy has it for 60 though so i guess I can pricematch

although single player game with no mp at all... maybe I should just rent it.
    yes/no?
    (how long is it?)

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited January 2009
    I hope Faldio gets some redemption, because I pretty much would have done the same thing.
    Gee, tough decision. Shoot girl and have her go curb stomp an entire army, or do nothing and watch everyone die. Especially since the main idiot General practically WANTED the Gallians to lose. Jeez, I know Welkin wants to hit that fine Valkyur bootay, but you have to be ALIVE to reap the rewards first.

Oh, and Alicia the Terminator? Pure win.

manwiththemachinegun on
    edited January 2009
    game is 70 bucks for some reason at futureshop?
    best buy has it for 60 though so i guess I can pricematch

although single player game with no mp at all... maybe I should just rent it.
    yes/no?
    (how long is it?)

It's lengthy enough (roughly 20-30 hours), and has a New Game+ option.

Worth a buy.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited January 2009
    uuugh
    my poor money, it disappears when I look for it

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited January 2009
    I'm the kind of guy that blows through games in a day or two if they're short enough. VP has had me going for more than a week and I'm JUST about 75% done my FIRST play through at 25 hours.

manwiththemachinegun on