As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ATTN MODS: Move to D&D? Sorry. Time Warner Cable pulls Viacom Stations at midnight

mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Games and Technology
Time Warner, once again, is refusing to pay for stations, so you just won't get them.

As of midnight tonight, I'll have no more Colbert and Stewart.

I'm about to call and cancel my cable, and thought others who have Time Warner, or just others who want to discuss how cable TV and such operate here in the US would like to weigh in.

In Syracuse, you either have Time Warner or you have Direct TV. Thats you're only options. Time Warner, REPEATEDLY has been involved in stuff like this, where they get into pissing matches with companies over how much they charge, and we lose stations.

The last major one I recall is when Time Warner refused to carry the new NFL Network, because the NFL wouldn't give it to them free. Therefore, we miss a ton of great football games every year, and a lot of major ones the NFL Network grabs. They've pulled this shit so many damn times, and even though I dont watch any of those stations regularly (Pallidum or whatever, the HD Music channel is great though), I'm done with them.

We had a guy from Consumer Reports come to Syracuse once because someone who lives here wrote him a letter asking him if Time Warner is as bad as well perceive it to be. Consumer Reports said that the value Time Warner Cable customers in Syracuse get for their money is one of the worst he's seen in the entire nation.

Because they're the only option (I rent a house, I don't want to sign up for Direct TV because I don't know how long Ill be here), I guess I'll be resorting to Hulu and stuff - along with just standard, over the air channels. I get my internet through Time Warner too - but I'll call Verizon today and set up FiOS. They're just a terrible company.

The days of a la carte cable can't come soon enough.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
mxmarks on

• NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Switching cable companies is such a pain in the ass because there's never any competition, so they feel like they can do whatever they want.

Good luck switching to the dish, i hope you can get as many people as you can to switch with you. See if you can maybe get fios tv.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The day I can actually choose who I can receive internet service from (cause over here we can only get DSL from QWEST or cable from Comcast), is the day I can close my eyes and die in peace. I gave up on television providers, thanks to a combination of the library, netflix, and internet broadcasting.

Then again they're trying to kill net neutrality and I might just have to move to another nation that is less fuck up.

Casually Hardcore on
  • CamuiCamui Sogekidan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I totally just saw this ticker on the bottom of a vh1 classic channel about this news. It 18 channels total including Nickelodeon, Noggin, MTV, comedy central, spike tv, Tvland, and afew other good channels. Funny stuff cause I remember we got very upset about what they did about the NFL channel. Which is why we have a dish now.

Camui on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The day I can actually choose who I can receive internet service from (cause over here we can only get DSL from QWEST or cable from Comcast), is the day I can close my eyes and die in peace. I gave up on television providers, thanks to a combination of the library, netflix, and internet broadcasting.

Then again they're trying to kill net neutrality and I might just have to move to another nation that is less fuck up.

You can move whereever you want, but they'll still be hosted in the US, and you probably won't be able to get to their services from another country anyway. :)

MKR on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Just remember if this deal passes between Viacom and Time Warner, your bill will raise with it. I'd be more pissed at Viacom than Time Warner.

urahonky on
  • SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Just remember if this deal passes between Viacom and Time Warner, your bill will raise with it. I'd be more pissed at Viacom than Time Warner.

I don't know who to side with on this one. Viacom are asses because they want to raise my bill and charge more for stations. On the other hand, if they believe that their services are worth more I suppose they are entitled to do that.

Time Warner are asses because I already hate them with a passion. They are trying to sound like white knights, defenders of the customers and their ever battle to keep our bill down. Yet, I pay ~$120 monthly for internet and cable (basic packages for both, an extra $10/mo for an extra box, and a shitty internet connection of 5mb max that goes down for days at least once every three months). I doubt i'd even notice an extra 23cents a month, if Time Warner was to up our prices because of it.

Though it would have been pretty damn nice if they would have warned us a little bit before the day before it is suppose to happen.

Sanders on
  • WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wait, is this a Syracuse thing, or everywhere? I'm dumb and the article confused me.

Wetsun on
    XBL/Steam: Wetsun
  • Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think everywhere, I googled it and it looks like Austin is affected too.

Ramen Noodle on
  • WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't have Time Warner, but I've already been a bastard and sent the Zune2k news to my Zune-owning friend, and I'm wondering if I should crush his spirit even more by taking away his Comedy Central too.

Wetsun on
    XBL/Steam: Wetsun
  • seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, this is everywhere.

As far as who to side with....
    I can understand a bit of why Verizon is wanting their fees raised:
    It said that Americans spend a fifth of their TV time watching Viacom shows but its fees make up less than 2.5 percent of the Time Warner cable bill.
    And this part doesn't particularly endear me to Time Warner either:
    Part of the disagreement is that most of Viacom's popular shows are rerun on Web sites where Viacom collects advertising revenue that it does not share with Time Warner, Dudley said. "We don't think that's fair," he said.
    (Why the fuck would a cable company get any share in the ad revenue for websites showing shows they have nothing to do with the production of?)

On the other hand, another version of the AP article has this fantastic detail:
    Time Warner Cable's Dudley said Viacom rejected his company's proposal to extend the contract while the sides continue to negotiate.

Instead, Viacom appealed directly to Time Warner Cable's customers, with TV ads in major markets. In Wednesday's New York Times, the company ran a full-page, color advertisement with Nickelodeon's animated bilingual heroine "Dora the Explorer" crying and clinging to her monkey pal, Boots.

"Why is Dora crying?" the ad asks. "Time Warner Cable is taking Dora off the air tonight!" The ad urges viewers to call Time Warner Cable and demand that their favorite shows remain on the air.

So basically, both sides are being petulant assholes and the people stuck with Time Warner are stuck in the crossfire.

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My nieces and nephew are going to kill me when they take Nickelodeon.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hey crappy snowy weather and crappy shitty TV for Syracuse now, huzzahs all around.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wetsun wrote: »
    Wait, is this a Syracuse thing, or everywhere? I'm dumb and the article confused me.

The popups at Colbertnation/Dailyshow read
    Attention Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks customers, starting tonight, you will lose your favorite Comedy Central shows on TV and online because of a dispute with Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks. You can stop this! Time Warner Cable customers call 1-800-762-3786 and Bright House Networks customers call 1-866-309-3279, AND DEMAND THEY KEEP YOUR CHANNEL! YOU MUST BE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OLD TO CALL.

Sanders on
  • lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    seasleepy wrote: »
    another version of the AP article has this fantastic detail:
    Instead, Viacom appealed directly to Time Warner Cable's customers, with TV ads in major markets. In Wednesday's New York Times, the company ran a full-page, color advertisement with Nickelodeon's animated bilingual heroine "Dora the Explorer" crying and clinging to her monkey pal, Boots.

"Why is Dora crying?" the ad asks. "Time Warner Cable is taking Dora off the air tonight!" The ad urges viewers to call Time Warner Cable and demand that their favorite shows remain on the air.

That is some bullshit right there. I hate it when advertisers try to appeal to children who are ignorant about the situation to make their parents lives more difficult. That's just dirty.

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sanders wrote: »

Attention Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks customers, starting tonight, you will lose your favorite Comedy Central shows on TV and online because of a dispute with Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks. You can stop this! Time Warner Cable customers call 1-800-762-3786 and Bright House Networks customers call 1-866-309-3279, AND DEMAND THEY KEEP YOUR CHANNEL! YOU MUST BE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OLD TO CALL.

That's running right now here too, I fucking hate time warner so much. SO MUCH.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This will suck, as I enjoy watch Spike and Comedy Central, but I will survive... With History Channel, USA, TNT, and Sci-fi...

Anyway, I don't see how the solution for this can't be "let the people decide for themselves on a case-by-case basis!!" unless one of the companies is too paranoid about losing money doing something like that...

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Does this effect me at all since I'm using satellite?

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    wtf its happening with my cable too.

Son of a BITCH

Buttcleft on
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Wait, how are they losing online shows? The internet is the internet.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Nope. Just Time Warner customers.

Once you get down into the details it's really hard to be sympathetic to either side.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Once you get down into the details it's really hard to be sympathetic to either side.

I'm sympathetic to the cable company.

only because viacom are being mighty mighty cockfags who are using Dora and Spongebob in advertisements that basically say " [Cable Company] Is taking [Spongebob/Dora] off the air TONIGHT " to get kids crying to mommy and daddy to manipulate them into supporting Viacom over the cable company.

That kinda manipulation and using of kids is a bullshit move on Via and I hope they get raped for it

Buttcleft on
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    TV? god. That's so 5 years ago. But then again, I don't care about sports.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    DVG wrote: »

Wait, how are they losing online shows? The internet is the internet.

No, it's simply Viacom using as many avenues as possible to get the word out to the people that may be affected.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    First NBC, now Viacom.

Goddammit Time Warner.

Though both sides are assholes.

Sir Carcass on
  • lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I'm sympathetic to the cable company.

only because viacom are being mighty mighty cockfags who are using Dora and Spongebob in advertisements that basically say " [Cable Company] Is taking [Spongebob/Dora] off the air TONIGHT " to get kids crying to mommy and daddy to manipulate them into supporting Viacom over the cable company.

That kinda manipulation and using of kids is a bullshit move on Via and I hope they get raped for it

I pretty much agree. I hate TimeWarner, and if I wasn't locked into them for decent internet I wouldn't be using them at all. That said, Viacom has achieved superior dickbaggery here with that ad campaign.

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
    edited December 2008
    At least I have an idea of why my Charter cable bill is going up $20 next month now.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    lazegamer wrote: »

That is some bullshit right there. I hate it when advertisers try to appeal to children who are ignorant about the situation to make their parents lives more difficult. That's just dirty.

I think I see what ad they're talking about, but that's not how it's worded. Unless there are multiples of the same thing with Dora, this is the only one I've seen.

I wonder if they even have the permission to use those characters in this manner.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
    edited December 2008
    BTP wrote: »
    lazegamer wrote: »

I think I see what ad they're talking about, but that's not how it's worded. Unless there are multiples of the same thing with Dora, this is the only one I've seen.

I wonder if they even have the permission to use those characters in this manner.

Considering Viacom probably owns them outright, I'd say yes.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I side with Viacom because if Time Warner wasn't a bunch of assholes who inflate the prices of their services already, this wouldn't be a big deal. If Time Warner had provided its customers with things like the NFL Network, and the countless other networks it's gotten rid of as a separate plan, for a fee, it wouldn't be a big deal.

Hell - why can't they say "If you'd like these Viacom stations, it's going to be 23 cents a month extra."

They can't because they will make NO money off that. EVERYONE would do it. Everyone with TW Cable would pay a QUARTER for the Daily Show, and Nickeloden for the kids. But TW needs to make it look like they're protecting us, so that when they do finally cave (I can't see how they'll survive if they DONT), they can say "We had to increase your bill $20, because Viacom is charging more and we have to recoup the cost it took to fight them. You should have just sided with us."

Im very biased in my thinking, but only because Time Warner has done nothing but screwed me time and time again on every single service they have, because up until about 6 months ago, it was either Time Warner for your internet, or NetZero and free AOL discs. They knew they had the market cornered, and the fucked over everyone they could.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Christ, and I thought comcast was a pain in the ass.

NickTheNewbie on
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well, I've been watching Spike for the past hour and haven't seen the spool since the begining, so I'm thinking someone has consided and I'll be able to watch that Darwin award-esque show when it comes on in Febuary.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mxmarks, the only downside to your switching over to Fios is that they lock you into a 2 year/1 year contract. If you move and fios becomes unavailable in the place that you move it might suck (I don't know for certain) but you might check with them for that scenario.

Otherwise enjoy blazing fast ISP speeds, great TV signal and standard(maybe sub-standard) phone service.

Viscountalpha on
  • bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Also look into U-Verse. Dropped Charter for them, $30 cheaper for more features, yay.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    While this sucks, I really dislike time warner. Both sides are being retarded, but time warner has a history with me of fucking customers. When I moved into my house in september I called to set up a new bundle with 1 HD DVR 1 HD box the 15mbps cable and phone for $120/mo plus the sports package that lets me get fox soccer for like $8. 2 year price lock contract (yay) Now when I ordered the installation they had me pay the first month and installation fee upfront with the promise of a rebate. All seemed fine until they called to confirm the installation appointment and tried to get me to pay the installation fee again.

I said 'Ive already paid that when I paid my first months bill'
    'yes i see here where you may have already paid that'

MAY have? Fuckers. Then the installation guy tried to get me to cut another $60 check. They kept trying to tack on $5 here and there on various bills I had gotten in the past. Then the do this shit with the NFL network because NFL wants it to be offered with the basic cable package like ESPN but TW wants to charge customers for it. So you wont let us have a channel that is supposed to be free? Fuck you.

But overall viacom is being retarded for wanting more money when income all around is dropping just because their version of Murdoch is broke :P

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Time Warner vs. Viacom? It's like Rosie O'Donnell vs Donald Trump all over again.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2008
    BTP wrote: »

Christ, that's evil.

Hilarious, but evil.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Viacom is allowed to charge whatever price they think customers will pay for their service. The same goes for Time Warner.

Why does Time Warner think they are the only ones who are allowed to tack on ludicrous charges?

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hmm, before I moved to Atlanta, I was in Orlando and had service from Bright House Networks, which also seems to be affected by this. Is Bright House owned and operated by Time Warner? I ask because when I had them I couldn't have been more pleased, no contracts, no payment for equipment, and reasonable prices? Hell yeah.

Anyways, in a month I'm headed back to Orlando, and was planning on getting Bright House again. This will suck, but I think they'll have something worked out by then. The article on their website is below:
    We are negotiating earnestly, honestly and fairly with MTV Networks, but so far have been unable to reach an agreement or get an extension.

MTV Networks may pull these channels from your lineup on January 1st.

-MTV Networks wants our customers to pay millions more. They are currently demanding price increases that are nearly triple the rate of increase under our current agreement. These increases would be excessive even in a strong economy, but given the current conditions, it’s simply not fair to our customers.

-MTV’s demands are outrageous and would force our customers to pay millions of dollars more per year. MTV’s networks are not worth so much more today than they were yesterday, especially given the fact that their ratings are mostly declining in recent years.

-Much of their popular programming is also available for free online. In this economy, we don’t believe it’s appropriate to ask our customers to pay so much more for programming with declining ratings or that's available for free.

-We’ve successfully negotiated hundreds of programming agreements with other cable networks, many within the last few months. Our hope is that we will come to an agreement with MTV Networks that is fair to our customers.

For questions or to voice your concerns, please email us.

While we work towards reaching an agreement, many popular TV programs from MTV Networks are also available at www.hulu.com or by going to the channel's own website.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, this is everywhere.

As far as who to side with....
    I can understand a bit of why Verizon is wanting their fees raised:
    It said that Americans spend a fifth of their TV time watching Viacom shows but its fees make up less than 2.5 percent of the Time Warner cable bill.
    And this part doesn't particularly endear me to Time Warner either:
    Part of the disagreement is that most of Viacom's popular shows are rerun on Web sites where Viacom collects advertising revenue that it does not share with Time Warner, Dudley said. "We don't think that's fair," he said.
    (Why the fuck would a cable company get any share in the ad revenue for websites showing shows they have nothing to do with the production of?)

This is a little complicated but not really. That cable company sells all that local advertising you see on there and some of the national stuff. If the show they paid for can no longer raise as much in advertising (because it's available for free online) that at least is a valid concern to the cable company.

I'm not really taking sides but that's not as outrageous as it sounds once you understand how the industry works.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This doesn't affect me since I don't watch TV anyways and I'm actually going to call Charter and tell them to remove the TV service from my bill, but it still sucks. This is the shittiest New Years Eve ever, what with this and the Zune thing and other shit.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png