As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

360 controller for PC?

Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I own a wireless 360 controller and was wondering if it was an easy task to use it as a gamepad for PC games?

This is making my wildly uniformed guess that the controller might be bluetooth and hence able to connect to my lappy. If not, is there something you can get for this?

Cheers for any help.

MhCw7nZ.gif
Jam Warrior on

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Theres a usb adapter you can buy that will link with the conrtoller wirelessly but Im not sure if you can buy it seperatly or not.

Yep this is what you want

Bedlam on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ah, so not that cheap and hard to get hold of in the UK.

Oh well, it was a nice idea whilst it lasted. Thanks anyway.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I was able to use my PS3 pad on my PC with the same usb cable that it normally recharges through, all I needed was a driver for it.

I'm guessing 360 pads don't physically connect to the system at all? How do you reassign them to another console if the need arises?

ApexMirage on
    I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    A wired 360 controller is plug and play. The wireless one needs the adapter that was already linked. Wireless 360 controllers sync to 360's with a sync button on the system and controller.

The charge cable for a wireless controller, which plugs in through USB, doesn't transfer any data, so I don't think you can go that route either. I'd recommend picking up a wired 360 controller if you don't already have 4 controllers and play with others. Good thing if you run out of batteries on the wireless.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ApexMirage wrote: »
    I was able to use my PS3 pad on my PC with the same usb cable that it normally recharges through, all I needed was a driver for it.

I'm guessing 360 pads don't physically connect to the system at all? How do you reassign them to another console if the need arises?

There's probably some sync-button tomfoolery like with the Wiimotes.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This is exactly why I chose to buy a wired one as my second xbox controller. It's 10$ less expensive than a wireless one and it's plug n play on my pc.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What DHS and Fireflash said, pretty much. You can buy the wireless dongle (or the wireless controller and dongle pack, which is slightly better value), but IMO by far the best option is the wired controller, as it needs no extra stuff and you get a second controller.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!