As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Jack Thompson to face hearing.

BlutrasereiBlutraserei Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Games and Technology
http://gamepolitics.com/2007/02/03/jack-thompson-faces-florida-bar-disciplinary-hearing/

:^:

Disclaimer: Searched and didn't see it in G&T, sorry if its been done.

Tttnl.jpg

Blutraserei on

• WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Oh, Jack...you always deliver.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • SulSul Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    he countersued the florida bar?

yo...is he bush's long lost brother?

big brass cajones. where his brain should be.

Sul on
    Who is the mortal I see every morning with more than a little bit he must be important
    Nintendo Friend Code: SW-0689-9921-0006
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2007
    Sul wrote:

I think there was some kind of strategy in that -- the Florida bar can't deal with him while that suit is in progress since they wouldn't be neutral, or some shit.

Of course, once his suit has been thrown out of court they'll be even more pissed at him.

Echo on
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Oh, that Jack Thompson and his crazy shenanigans...

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Oh, that Jack Thompson and his crazy shenanigans...
    Watching Jack is better than most movies.

Couscous on
  • bhealeybhealey Registered User regular
    edited December 2012

bhealey on
  • LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Echo wrote:
    Sul wrote:

I think there was some kind of strategy in that -- the Florida bar can't deal with him while that suit is in progress since they wouldn't be neutral, or some shit.

Of course, once his suit has been thrown out of court they'll be even more pissed at him.

Huh. It doesn't really make sense to sue the organization that lets you work, even if it's a viable strategy. I guess the best that can come out of it is him getting disbarred.

LavaKnight on
  • ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    BUSTED!

ToadTheMushroom on
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I think everyone should join me as I say 'about...mother...fucking..time!'

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    No.

No no NO!

As long as he is in the limelight, no one COMPETENT can stand up and take up the cause against video games.

We -want- this man prosecuting us. Trust me, it's for our own good.

*snicker*

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • SuctionRedSuctionRed Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Athenor wrote:
    No.

No no NO!

As long as he is in the limelight, no one COMPETENT can stand up and take up the cause against video games.

*snicker*
    What the hell are you talking about? If there is someone competent out there, why would they not have come forward by now? Surely, if they are competent, they know Thompson isn't actually accomplishing anything and would have come forward. This line of thinking makes no sense. Nobody competent is frightened into silence by Jack Thompson.

SuctionRed on
    Wii Code: 3909 7942 3982 7666
  • crash5scrash5s Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Oh there are a LOT of competent lawyers with actual evidence that aren't fuckwits waiting to take up the cause.

I'd rather whacko jacko keep the torch.

crash5s on
  • FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If he is disbarred won't this be the second time? I heard a rumor that he lost his license to practice law in Alabama for comparing a video game to Pearl Harbor.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
    edited December 2012

bhealey on
  • kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    SuctionRed wrote:
    Athenor wrote:
    No.

No no NO!

*snicker*
    What the hell are you talking about? If there is someone competent out there, why would they not have come forward by now? Surely, if they are competent, they know Thompson isn't actually accomplishing anything and would have come forward. This line of thinking makes no sense. Nobody competent is frightened into silence by Jack Thompson.

I agree, getting rid of a lawyer isn't the same as getting rid of a leader of a country...

kriegs on
  • PbPb Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    FirmSkater wrote:
    If he is disbarred won't this be the second time? I heard a rumor that he lost his license to practice law in Alabama for comparing a video game to Pearl Harbor.

I'm not sure what sounds more retarded; the rumor or you for stating it.

Pb on
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    thats cool, because the line of thinking is actually,

"while Thompson is there, no other lawyer wants to do this"

you know, wants to be that guy in the press talking about the games and such

we could get stuck with someone with similiar desires, but much better at the task

nobody's saying other lawyers arent capable of stepping up if they wanted to... but who wants to? its crazy jack's thing right now, everyone wants to talk to him

Deusfaux on
  • DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    crash5s wrote:
    Oh there are a LOT of competent lawyers with actual evidence that aren't fuckwits waiting to take up the cause.

What evidence? Why should there be anyone prosecuting the hobby to begin with? There's nothing inherently wrong with gaming or its enthusiasts. Gaming is not a crime. Gaming is not a sin. Gaming should not be the scapegoat for society's problems.

Doronron on
    edited December 2012

bhealey on
    edited February 2007
    Doronron wrote:
    crash5s wrote:

What evidence? Why should there be anyone prosecuting the hobby to begin with? There's nothing inherently wrong with gaming or its enthusiasts. Gaming is not a crime. Gaming is not a sin. Gaming should not be the scapegoat for society's problems.

Well there is evidence that interactive media can affect people in both a positive, and negative way.

Scape goat or not other countries are moving to moderate it. I think a large portion of why that hasn't been done here is due to the fact that people realize Hillary Clinton and Thompson are idiots.

Would you really rather have a competent charasmatic lawyer take up the cause and start using actual studies and tests? I sure as hell don't want that.

crash5s on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Whoa, bhealey, when did you get back? I haven't seen you since the last Thompson fiasco.

KalTorak on
    edited December 2012

bhealey on
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I suspect that Athenor was being sarcastic. Every time there is a discussion about finally being rid of Ol' Jacko, someone chimes in with that stupid argument. Athenor even snicker'd after.

But the other people are being serious. But what kind of reasoning is this? You really think lawyers and politicians wait in line for certain causes? Like only so many people can be for or against certain causes at the same time?

"Oh shit, stem cell research is available again?! I'm all over it!"

Dirty on
  • FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Pb wrote:
    FirmSkater wrote:

I'm not sure what sounds more retarded; the rumor or you for stating it.

Hahaha, it's not like I repeated it as a fact, but yeah that's just what I heard. Guess it's wrong then.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
    edited December 2012

bhealey on
  • ToastToast Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The thing is, a more coherent lawyer might manage a more useful "offensive", but they're also more likely to engage with actual facts and make actual reasoned arguments and stuff, rather than just the sensationalist horseshit that Thompson pumps out and the media laps up. I see the "better the devil you know" argument, but I'm not sure I buy it.

Toast on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    FirmSkater wrote:
    No, he lost his pro hoc vice status, which allowed him to practice law for one specific case in Alabama. He was never on the Alabama bar, or had a full license there.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited December 2012

bhealey on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    Toast wrote:
    The thing is, a more coherent lawyer might manage a more useful "offensive", but they're also more likely to engage with actual facts and make actual reasoned arguments and stuff, rather than just the sensationalist horseshit that Thompson pumps out and the media laps up. I see the "better the devil you know" argument, but I'm not sure I buy it.
    Pro tip: read the goddamn discussion.

There's nothing stopping this supposed Omega-Lawyer from coming to the forefront now. The idea that Thompson is keeping the competant people at bay is pure fantasy.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Tails CorraTails Corra Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If I can toss my $0.02 in (well, $0.01 being Canadian), once Thompson gets Disbarred, what's to keep him from being even more of an out-spoken figure-head? If anything, trying to keep his licence would have lead to some restraint on his part on his actions (although difficult to beleive he had much to begin with).

Even once he loses his licence to practice law, I could imagine him joining the talk show/radio show circut as a 'expert' about video games and former lawyer, leading to him saying how Florida only disbared him to 'keep him quiet, as poloticians can't risk losing face in what must be the biggest threat to our way of life since rock-and-roll'.

As vidictive as I am, I could only see this as removing Thompson's leash. He'll be on Oprah within two years, I'd put my game collection down on that.

Tails Corra on
    Wii FC: 4136 3615 8283 3576
    Brawl: 3265 4738 2973
    edited February 2007
    Toast wrote:

There's nothing stopping this supposed Omega-Lawyer from coming to the forefront now. The idea that Thompson is keeping the competant people at bay is pure fantasy.

Not true.

Look at the great strides for game censorship (not restricing to minors but out right censorship) made in other nations.... that don't have a delusional loon leading the charge.

We're lucky to have him and I'll rue the day he is gone and somebody with half a brain gets up there and makes a good argument.

crash5s on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I heard Jack won over the crowd at a recent public debate held at some university somewhere.

There we go. It was at the California University of Pennsylvania. They must be stupid there or something.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If I can toss my $0.02 in (well, $0.01 being Canadian), once Thompson gets Disbarred, what's to keep him from being even more of an out-spoken figure-head? If anything, trying to keep his licence would have lead to some restraint on his part on his actions (although difficult to beleive he had much to begin with).

Even once he loses his licence to practice law, I could imagine him joining the talk show/radio show circut as a 'expert' about video games and former lawyer, leading to him saying how Florida only disbared him to 'keep him quiet, as poloticians can't risk losing face in what must be the biggest threat to our way of life since rock-and-roll'.

As vidictive as I am, I could only see this as removing Thompson's leash. He'll be on Oprah within two years, I'd put my game collection down on that.

Once you are disbarred, it's like a court marshal. No one will go to you as an expert anymore, and people's reputations can be severely damaged by just associating with you. Being disbarred means you committed something gravely wrong as a lawyer... And considering most people's opinions of lawyers, it's a.. erm... high? Yeah. It's a high bar.

If Jack's disbarred, he'll never be associated with again. He may continue his rants, but they won't hold any weight.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited December 2012

bhealey on
    edited December 2012

bhealey on
  • ToastToast Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Toast wrote:

I'm attacking the fantasy, not the reality. I fully acknowledge the "nothing's holding anyone else back" point, but even without it the "we're better off with JT" argument doesn't hold up, IMO.

Toast on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I heard Jack won over the crowd at a recent public debate held at some university somewhere.

There we go. It was at the California University of Pennsylvania. They must be stupid there or something.

Clearly - they can't even figure out what state they're in.

KalTorak on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    this is the best birthday present I've gotten

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    crash5s wrote:
    Doronron wrote:
    crash5s wrote:

Well there is evidence that interactive media can affect people in both a positive, and negative way.

Scape goat or not other countries are moving to moderate it. I think a large portion of why that hasn't been done here is due to the fact that people realize Hillary Clinton and Thompson are idiots.

Would you really rather have a competent charasmatic lawyer take up the cause and start using actual studies and tests? I sure as hell don't want that.

My point is that there's nothing wrong with gaming to begin with. That means regardless of Jack and others like him, there shouldn't be a need to moderate it beyond separating the content based on maturity level. These guys act like games are the Devil in DVD format, and much of the language that's being used in this discussion seem to propegate that belief.

We shouldn't be arguing over whether or not we want Jack as anti-gaming's spokesperson to keep at bay someone more competent. We should be more concerned with the fact that this hobby is being villified to begin with.

The fact that we're even having this discussion speaks volumes with regards to how well the media's approach to gaming has taken hold. We have nothing to hide, but we've begun to take on the traits of people who do.

Doronron on
  • mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You know I will be a sad panda if Thompson leaves. I mean the guy was more of our personal jester than an actual threat.

In other news bhealey has blessed us with his presence in a Thompson thread.

Summon the quote tree!

mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.