As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hesher] Hardboiled and Still Hellbound

• BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hey look it's my favorites of the year (that I can remember):

1. Transcending Bizarre? - The Serpent's Manifolds
    2. Gojira - The Way of All Flesh
    3. Kalmah - For the Revolution
    4. Artefact - Ruins
    5. Cynic - Traced in Air
    6. Protest the Hero - Fortress
    7. Opeth - Watershed
    8. Bloodbath - The Fathomless Mastery
    9. Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God
    10. Ihsahn - AngL
    11. In Flames - A Sense of Purpose
    12. Meshuggah - ObZen
    13. Hail of Bullets - Of Frost and War
    14. Murderplan - Let's Roll
    15. Svartediket - Svartediket
    16. Enslaved - Vertebrae
    17. Metallica - Death Magnetic
    18. Alestorm - Captain Morgan's Revenge
    19. Svafnir - The Heathen Chapters
    20. Children of Bodom - Blooddrunk

Blakout on
  • Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Blakout wrote: »

YES

People, I would like to be far more into metal than I am right now

Where should I start

Mr Bubbles on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wait, new Anathema?

Sir Carcass on
  • autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »

Where should I start

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV6noHEd6XE

Let me know if you have any other questions I can help you with.

autothrall on
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Blakout wrote: »

YES

Where should I start

Start with the more accessible varieties first, and slowly try to work your way into the other varieties of metal. Eventually you might start to enjoy the growly vocals and stuff that most people don't really like at first hearing.

I have only relatively recently started to enjoy Melodeath, and have difficulty getting into black metal and less melodic death metal, but it's all pretty much an acquired taste.

Varieties with cleaner vocals or more mainstream appeal might be the way to go. Power metal, trash metal, and the like. Blind Guardian pretty much single-handedly got me into metal, with some Metallica, Therion and Iron Maiden influence.

Rhan9 on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hey dudes

I love Mastodon, unhealthily

I listen to them every day, quite literally

What would you recommend for someone who has such an obsession and wants to spread it around more evenly?

Evil Multifarious on
    edited January 2009
    Mastodon is a pretty unique band, and an excellent one. They blend quite a few styles into one.

Try Gojira maybe, but keep in mind they aren't as musically proficient or as heavy (well, in their own way).

autothrall on
    edited January 2009
    autothrall wrote: »
    Mastodon is a pretty unique band, and an excellent one. They blend quite a few styles into one.

Try Gojira maybe, but keep in mind they aren't as musically proficient or as heavy (well, in their own way).

mm, i've been meaning to try gojira.

i am basically looking for that somewhat-prog sound while maintaining the intensity and heaviness of something like Blood and Thunder. I prefer tracks like that one to the more noodly shit like Capillarean Crest or whatever it's called.

Most really heavy bands are non-melodic and percussively boring to me (I love Mastodon's drums); most prog bands are noodlier than a bowl of spaghetti. Both are unsatisfactory, and I've only found the right mix in Mastodon, for the most part.

Evil Multifarious on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how do you guys feel about Unearth? I really love the guys, but I know there is animosity between the different types of metal. I want just want to see if the general PA public opinion of them is high or not.

Unearth is from my state, I used to know Ken a little. He used to go to one of my old band's shows, or vice versa. They are definitely a legitimate band who have been working hard at what they do long before the term 'metalcore' was a household name. It's hard not to be proud that they made a success of themselves. That said, on a musical level, their albums don't do it for me.

That's so cool. I really like to think that the guys are pretty cool to hang out with. I don't know what it is, but their music is just enthralling to me. If I hear a song by them I normally get really pumped up.

urahonky on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

Where should I start

80's trash is pretty much most peoples "gateway" into metal. Hit up some Metallica, Megadeth, Judas Priest, Athrax, Slayer, Motorhead, Pantera, Death, Iron Maiden, Sepultura, and Black Sabbath for a nice starting point.

Tav on
  • KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man, Earth is an awesome band. I've liked Sunn O))) for a long time now, and I checked out Earth's newest album when I heard that they were an inspiration for Sunn O))). It's good, but not really metal at all, so I got some of their earlier, drone doom stuff and I'm loving it.

This is probably not news to anyone since I get the impression that Earth is pretty well known among drone fans.

Kaputa on
  • Crazy LarryCrazy Larry Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wait, there's new Hammerfall due out this year? Why did no one tell me this? With this and Grave Digger coming out, it looks like it should be a good year for Power Metal. If we get new Blind Guardian too I'll be in heaven.

You guys might want to check out the new Woe Of Tyrants, since I seem to recall some of you really liking their first release. I'm kind of ticked that I missed their cd release party, and they don't play anywhere near me again for a while.

Also, I wasn't going to do a list, but no one mentioned Moonspell in any of their's so I had to rectify that.

1. Ihsahn - AngL
    2. Cynic - Traced In Air
    3. Darkthrone - Dark Thrones And Black Flags
    4. Gojira - The Way Of All Flesh
    5. Amon Amarth - Twilight Of The Thunder God
    6. Hail of Bullets - ...Of Frost and War
    7. Moonspell - Night Eternal
    8. Meshuggah - obZen
    9. Falconer - Among Beggars and Thieves
    10. Pharaoh - Be Gone
    11. Dark Empire - Humanity Dethroned
    12. Motorhead - Motorizer
    13. Testament - The Formation Of Damnnation
    14. Benedictum - Seasons Of Tragedy
    15. Alestorm - Captain Morgan's Revenge
    Honorable Mention - Van Canto

Crazy Larry on
  • yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    One of these years ima gonna keep a notepad of all the albums as I listen to them.

1. Obtest - Gyvybes Medis
    2. Darkthrone - Darkthrones and Black Flags
    3. Pharoah - Be Gone
    4. The Sword - Gods of the Earth
    5. SIG:AR:TYR - Beyond the North Winds
    6. Kurgan - And Green Grasses Are Freezing Slowly
    7. Lifelover - Konkurs
    8. Opeth - Watershed (extra points given for no embarrasing front lawn photos)

Best Metallica album of 2008: Master of Puppets

yakul on
    edited January 2009
    It's tickling me to see the Darkthrone love arrive in spurts.
    yakul wrote: »

Best Metallica album of 2008: Master of Puppets

Agreed!

It was their best album of 2007, too, strangely enough.

autothrall on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

Best Metallica album of 2008: ...And Justice For All

Agreed!

Sir Carcass on
    edited January 2009
    I'll admit I don't listen to Darkthrone enough, but one time the missus caught me singing Dungeon Shaker in the shower and I had some explain to do.

Also Kill Em All almost got the edge this year it was close

yakul on
    edited January 2009
    I liked Metallica before they sold out, when Lars moved to the US.

Sir Carcass on
    edited January 2009
    I'll admit I don't listen to Darkthrone enough, but one time the missus caught me singing Dungeon Shaker in the shower and I had some explain to do.

If she didn't sex you up right on the spot, curb her.

autothrall on
  • MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hey dudes

What would you recommend for someone who has such an obsession and wants to spread it around more evenly?

Baroness.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Blind Guardian pretty much single-handedly got me into metal, with some Metallica, Therion and Iron Maiden influence.
    Almost the exact same for me except no Therion or Maiden, just Blind Guardian and Metallica.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
    edited January 2009
    Hey dudes

Baroness.

Ooh, these guys sound interesting. I'm gonna grab an album. Thanks for the recommendation!

Evil Multifarious on
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    S0up wrote: »
    And now, most disappointing:

-1. Norther - N

I 100% agree with this and I was contemplating putting this on my blog post at the end because save for "Always & Never" and maybe "My Antichrist" the album is not good.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hey dudes

Baroness.

Ooh, these guys sound interesting. I'm gonna grab an album. Thanks for the recommendation!

Check out Kylesa and Torche as well. They might be your thing too.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wait, new Anathema?
    While searching around for big new releases this year, they came up, but I can't find any concrete details on it. Sooo, they go in the question list. But it makes sense, they haven't made anything in a couple years.

Did anyone listen to their Hindsight release from 2008? It's all non-electric remakes of their own songs, seems like it's worth checking out.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    2009 starts off good to me.

For $4 used I found Gloomy Grim's Blood, Monsters, Darkness at the local record store. This morning's pitch black drive to work was extra terrifying because of it.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
    edited January 2009
    I think you're the only other person besides myself that has Under the Spell of the Unlight in their top list. It must be a sign of greatness.

METAzraeL on

• L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

mm, i've been meaning to try gojira.

i am basically looking for that somewhat-prog sound while maintaining the intensity and heaviness of something like Blood and Thunder. I prefer tracks like that one to the more noodly shit like Capillarean Crest or whatever it's called.

Most really heavy bands are non-melodic and percussively boring to me (I love Mastodon's drums); most prog bands are noodlier than a bowl of spaghetti. Both are unsatisfactory, and I've only found the right mix in Mastodon, for the most part.

I'm going to do the potentially silly thing and throw you in at the deep end with !T.O.O.H.!, their drummer is insane and they have nice melodies, but their vocals will almost definitely throw you off (they're weird even compared to black and death metal vocals) and they may be a little too noodly for you. They're definitely a love/hate thing.

L|ama on
    edited January 2009
    edited January 2009
    everyone should love TOOH. I'm in favour of that slap to Multifarious' face.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M-vB_r9Z2o

Also, you might dig some lighter stoner doom stuff like The Sword, even if it lacks the prog or superb drumming.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9KbmRTgigQ

Maybe High on Fire?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89h-X-tZa_w

hehe, watching Gaahl talk about his attraction to men is so cute

METAzraeL on

edited January 2009
    ok, Motorhead question time. I have Motorizer, Kiss of Death, and Overkill. I know that basically everything they've done is fried gold and that I need more. However, I'm looking for material that's more in the vein of "God Was Never On Your Side" or "Kingdom of the Worm", ie slightly slower, less rocking songs. Are there any albums that are closer to these?

Here's the songs if you need reminding:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62t8Q1gF1dA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc_EG0lNDUE

METAzraeL on

edited January 2009
    !T.O.O.H! set the bar for what deathgrind could really evolve into. Fucking fantastic.

Morgenstern on
    edited January 2009
    Alright homeslices, I need some advice. I'm trying to expand my metal pallete by delving into death and grind metal. I've started listening to Death and Cannibal Corpse, and moving into the classic Swedish and US death metal bands. I tend to lean more towards the Swedish stuff like Pestilence and Nihilist. If you guys want to to point out any bands that are part of the foundation of death metal, feel free. I'm really getting into this stuff. I also really enjoyed the new Cynic album.

I think I may be really evolving past the whole black and pagan metal thing. Death metal just seems to offer so much more substance in terms of style and even lyrical content.

Morgenstern on
    edited January 2009
    Nasum is a good grind band

yakul on
    edited January 2009
    Alright homeslices, I need some advice. I'm trying to expand my metal pallete by delving into death and grind metal. I've started listening to Death and Cannibal Corpse, and moving into the classic Swedish and US death metal bands. I tend to lean more towards the Swedish stuff like Pestilence and Nihilist. If you guys want to to point out any bands that are part of the foundation of death metal, feel free. I'm really getting into this stuff. I also really enjoyed the new Cynic album.

I think I may be really evolving past the whole black and pagan metal thing. Death metal just seems to offer so much more substance in terms of style and even lyrical content.

I'm kind of in the same boat here (except for grind). Hail of Bullets pretty much singlehandedly made me realise that I really like older death metal and made me finally listen to bolt thrower through people comparing them. Still don't like cannibal corpse though.

L|ama on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Anyone have Between The Buried And Me - Colors Live?

I've heard the cd but I was wondering how the dvd was. Anyone seen it?

projectmayhem on
    edited January 2009

It's weird, this year I've found myself trending back towards death metal, which was pretty much what got me into metal. Here's some of the stuff I've been digging this year:

Bolt Thrower - start with Realm of Chaos, then do IVth Crusade and Those Once Loyal
    Vader - Impressions in Blood (the XXV remake of their old shit is fucking sexy, too)
    Uncanny - Splenium for Nyktophobia
    Hail of Bullets - Of Frost and War (I'm sure you've noticed they have the singer from Pestilence)
    Ingurgitating Oblivion - Voyage Towards Abhorrence
    Pandemonium - Hellspawn
    Insision - Ikon
    Aeon - Rise to Dominate (their debut has hilariously antixian lyrics, check it out if you like this album)

METAzraeL on

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Anyone have Between The Buried And Me - Colors Live?

I've heard the cd but I was wondering how the dvd was. Anyone seen it?

Fan-fucking-tastic.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2009
    that High on Fire track is really good, I enjoy it. It still seems a bit light, but I find Mastodon fairly light sometimes as well, it just depends on the track.

the TOOH song is weird, but not overly so. Instruments are really good, vocals are odd but not offensive, and they're varied and unusual enough to keep me interested. My main problem with a band like that is that they sound a bit muddy and intentionally rough or sloppy, which doesn't appeal to me with this kind of metal.

I've enjoyed The Sword since I played Guitar Hero 2, which is to blame for really getting me into older metal stuff that I had sorely overlooked, including Maiden and Judas Priest.

I'll definitely take a look at the other stuff suggested. You guys are really helpful!

Evil Multifarious on
  • ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I really don't enjoy metal but oddly had the privilege of of seeing King Diamond, Black Dahlia Murder, Mastadon, God Forbid, Hatebreed, Dimmu Bogir, Judas Priest, cradle of filth and walls of Jericho in a particularly short period of time between an Ozzfest and a Metalfest I went to with friends.

I ended up in some local magazine as "The guy who can't get enough metal" or some such. I wish I had a copy laying around.

ANTVGM64 on
    edited January 2009
    the TOOH song is weird, but not overly so. Instruments are really good, vocals are odd but not offensive, and they're varied and unusual enough to keep me interested. My main problem with a band like that is that they sound a bit muddy and intentionally rough or sloppy, which doesn't appeal to me with this kind of metal.

I think that might be at least partly due to the terrible youtube sound quality.

L|ama on
This discussion has been closed.