As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Inaug YOUR ation

• sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited January 2009
    Callius wrote: »
    So uh... Obama's choice for top Justice posts is kind of, shall we say, intensely infuriating.

What, you mean Holder?

I was referring, in this instance, to Perrelli and Ogden.

As far as I know, Obama never made a single campaign promise about expanding the ability of people to pirate music. 'Cause, you know, that would be retarded. I'm pretty sure he never even said anything about reducing Copyright length or breadth. He made promises about things like Net Neutrality, and I don't really see any conflict of interest there. If anything, these guys clearly have taken on ISPs before, so wouldn't they be qualified for such a purpose?

Yeah, it might chap our asses, but at the end of the day it's not really inconsistent with anything he promised, and piracy is also illegal. Do I think Obama's Justice Department is going to start suing everybody with a bitTorrent client? No, I don't. They have bigger shit to worry about, like reestablishing habeas corpus. And Obama himself has never indicated any particular interest in aggressively pursuing the interests of the RIAA or anyone else.

This is what irks me about the nominating process; we know next to nothing about these guys except one tiny tidbit of information that -- while hardly damning and certainly not something that jeopardizes their qualifications for a job that will deal with far larger issues most of the time -- rubs us the wrong way not because of anything Obama promised, but because it is personally inconvenient, and so we are "infuriated" with Obama for choosing people who we are completely incapable of fully judging without a hell of a lot more information.

They are RIAA LAWYERS. these are people who have sought lawsuits on elderly and people who are not file sharers. These are not the people we need in office.

http://www.betanews.com/article/RIAA_Sues_Deceased_Grandmother/1107532260

That article doesn't say anything about Perrelli or Ogden being involved in that, and further they were at private lawfirms who had the RIAA as clients

I'm also not really sure just how much use it is to take their private-sector jobs and extrapolate their politics from it. Callius brings up a pretty decent criticism, but we know Obama's stance on the importance of Constitutionality in investigations and undoing the damage to the fourth amendment that Bush did, and we know that's going to be the philosophy at the JD. It's not like these guys are going to run wild and start rifling through people's computers without warrants under Obama's nose or something.

It's just such completely one-sided information I can't really feel angry about it. There are also tiny things I disagree with Obama himself about. If the only thing I knew about Obama was that he's relatively reticent towards nuclear power, should I get all bent out of shape that he's president?

I guess I just have more faith that Barack is going to pick people for their competence and their expertise, and that his vision is going to guide the way the federal agencies behave. It's like his campaign -- he and axelrod and plouffe and gibbs and jarret (and a few others in the inner circle) set the tone, and then they brought in a ton of Washington insiders and old hands to execute that vision, and ran a unique campaign that way. I assume the administration will be similar.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    We don't KNOW those things though. We ASSUME those things. My point is that his nominations thus far have shown something counter to reducing the executive branch.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited January 2009
    We don't KNOW those things though. We ASSUME those things. My point is that his nominations thus far have shown something counter to reducing the executive branch.

I mean it's all kind of a moot point because we'll actually start to find out in a couple weeks, right?

I'm going to wait until he's actually president before I start getting mad at him

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    so, yeah. where are people staying? Bowtiedseal is staying in Silver Spring (AKA Awesomeville) but what about other folks?

Maryland side? Virginia side? East? West?

Evander on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Alexandria, VA

NotASenator on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So uh... Obama's choice for top Justice posts is kind of, shall we say, intensely infuriating.

What, you mean Holder?

I was referring, in this instance, to Perrelli and Ogden.

As far as I know, Obama never made a single campaign promise about expanding the ability of people to pirate music. 'Cause, you know, that would be retarded. I'm pretty sure he never even said anything about reducing Copyright length or breadth. He made promises about things like Net Neutrality, and I don't really see any conflict of interest there. If anything, these guys clearly have taken on ISPs before, so wouldn't they be qualified for such a purpose?

Yeah, it might chap our asses, but at the end of the day it's not really inconsistent with anything he promised, and piracy is also illegal. Do I think Obama's Justice Department is going to start suing everybody with a bitTorrent client? No, I don't. They have bigger shit to worry about, like reestablishing habeas corpus. And Obama himself has never indicated any particular interest in aggressively pursuing the interests of the RIAA or anyone else.

This is what irks me about the nominating process; we know next to nothing about these guys except one tiny tidbit of information that -- while hardly damning and certainly not something that jeopardizes their qualifications for a job that will deal with far larger issues most of the time -- rubs us the wrong way not because of anything Obama promised, but because it is personally inconvenient, and so we are "infuriated" with Obama for choosing people who we are completely incapable of fully judging without a hell of a lot more information.

They are RIAA LAWYERS. these are people who have sought lawsuits on elderly and people who are not file sharers. These are not the people we need in office.

http://www.betanews.com/article/RIAA_Sues_Deceased_Grandmother/1107532260

That article doesn't say anything about Perrelli or Ogden being involved in that, and further they were at private lawfirms who had the RIAA as clients

I'm also not really sure just how much use it is to take their private-sector jobs and extrapolate their politics from it. Callius brings up a pretty decent criticism, but we know Obama's stance on the importance of Constitutionality in investigations and undoing the damage to the fourth amendment that Bush did, and we know that's going to be the philosophy at the JD. It's not like these guys are going to run wild and start rifling through people's computers without warrants under Obama's nose or something.

It's just such completely one-sided information I can't really feel angry about it. There are also tiny things I disagree with Obama himself about. If the only thing I knew about Obama was that he's relatively reticent towards nuclear power, should I get all bent out of shape that he's president?

I guess I just have more faith that Barack is going to pick people for their competence and their expertise, and that his vision is going to guide the way the federal agencies behave. It's like his campaign -- he and axelrod and plouffe and gibbs and jarret (and a few others in the inner circle) set the tone, and then they brought in a ton of Washington insiders and old hands to execute that vision, and ran a unique campaign that way. I assume the administration will be similar.

If your so smart then, take the clump theory and figure it out then. You win. Congratulations asshole.

Viscountalpha on
    edited January 2009
    In case it wasn't obvious, and just for the record, I am in Silver Spring, MD

Evander on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hey, NaC, are you familair with O'Connell high school? That's where I went.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
    edited January 2009
    Nope, sorry.

I didn't grow up this far north, so I don't know all the schools here.

NotASenator on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What radio stations do you listen to?

I am trying to segue into this.

Which was the best thing to happen while I was there.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Captain K wrote: »
    smalldrawn.gif
    Fucking stupid rednecks raaaaargh

Soda for life.

Clint Eastwood on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Cloudman wrote: »
    smalldrawn.gif

Soda for life.

Solidarity.

KalTorak on
  • HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I always just say 'soft drink.' And if I know specifically what brand it is I'll be more specific.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    smalldrawn.gif

Soda for life.

Solidarity.
    Now I'm all curious what "other" entails.

GIVE ME A FIZZY DRINK PLEASE

Clint Eastwood on
  • Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    effervescent something something

Randall_Flagg on
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    At least now Gupta won't have to explain some stupid disease every time a celebrity brings it up

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I love this ... lamp

Zoolander on
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    smalldrawn.gif

Soda for life.

this explains so much

Usagi on
    edited January 2009
    Usagi wrote: »
    smalldrawn.gif

Soda for life.

this explains so much
    you better not be dissing my soda based agenda, homie

Clint Eastwood on
    edited January 2009

Soda for life.

this explains so much

naw dude, I am all about soda these days, though I grew up in the land of pop

the transition is not a smooth one

Usagi on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Soda for life.

this explains so much

naw dude, I am all about soda these days, though I grew up in the land of pop

the transition is not a smooth one

"The Blue is for righteous disciples of soda. The Green is for corrupt pop-loving dogs. The Red is the heathen land of Coke - where the shadows lie."

"But both seaboards are in the Blue!"

"So is God."

KalTorak on
  • HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I want to know what they've decided to call the stuff in the Carolinas, since that seems to be the highest concentration of 'other' on the map.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
    edited January 2009
    Harrier wrote: »
    I want to know what they've decided to call the stuff in the Carolinas, since that seems to be the highest concentration of 'other' on the map.
    Cheerwine

Clint Eastwood on
    edited January 2009
    Cheerwine

sweet tea

Usagi on
    edited January 2009
    Cheerwine

sweet tea
    i don't even want to talk about that shit

fucking Ozarks

Clint Eastwood on
    edited January 2009
    I just picked up the Moleskine Washington DC book

Evander on
    edited January 2009
    Cheerwine

sweet tea

Faerie pee

KalTorak on
    edited January 2009
    I say soda, because it is how I was raised.

I am aware, though, that it is technically wrong.

Evander on
  • MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My grandfather got four tickets to the inauguration and gave me one. Should be a good time

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
    edited January 2009
    So just to make things more fun, traffic restrictions have been put into place.

No traffic around the mall area, no parking across a huge swatch of DC, all bridges from Virginia into DC will be closed from 2am or so the night before.

NotASenator on
    edited January 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    I say soda, because it is how I was raised.

I am aware, though, that it is technically wrong.

Your upbringing has served you well. Never doubt again!

Also, just found out that we're getting Inauguration day AND MLK day off from work! Boo ya!

KalTorak on
    edited January 2009
    I say what I'm drinking.

So most of the time I say Dr. Pepper, when I do drink soda.

NotASenator on
  • DeaconBluesDeaconBlues __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm going to wait until he's the first God Emporer of the world before I start getting mad at him

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    man, I really wanted to go to this. There's not an area for people without tickets, right?

Langly on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This is going to be the classiest day of my life.

Javen on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My brother invited me to go up with him

I'm leaning towards yes, but it's going to be so hectic

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited January 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    So just to make things more fun, traffic restrictions have been put into place.

No traffic around the mall area, no parking across a huge swatch of DC, all bridges from Virginia into DC will be closed from 2am or so the night before.

I am SO glad that I have free parking right next to the Silver Spring Metro stop.

Evander on
    edited January 2009
    Langly wrote: »
    man, I really wanted to go to this. There's not an area for people without tickets, right?

of course there is.

I am seriously wondering if it is going to be less packed than people think because of all the folks who think that they will need tickets to get in to the city, or something.

Evander on
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well I can't quite afford a ticket from Dublin to Washington to see America's new leader get Inaugurated, but I'm interested enough to do what I did on election night and watch the live broadcast on BBC.

I also hope there's a thread here, because the election night threads were priceless.

Desktop Hippie on
    edited January 2009
    Looks like I'm going to be heading down to the Washington Convention Center on Friday night to help hand out credentials for the Inauguration.

Awesome.

Evander on
This discussion has been closed.