Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The D&D Sci-fi/Fantasy thread - Recommend ON - Rules & lists. Update

zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
UPDATE 11/01:
The lists are fully linked to wikipedia, users posts which provided information about a series - short description or similar are also linked in the lists.
Rules:
1 vote = the book/series makes it on the lists.
I'll maintain three lists:
Alphabetical, votes->alphabetical and genre->votes->alphabetical.
You can vote for a series, or for a single book in a series. Your choice.
Acceptable ways to vote:

!vote Author - Series/Title
!vote Author - Series/Title in Genre
!add Author - Series/Title

Really, anything you like as long as there is lime.

Here we go D&D!.
Recommend, look up and discuss.

Welcome to the D&D's Sci-fi & Fantasy Recommendations, Releases & Discussion Thread!

1. Releases?
In this thread I'll try and keep track of some(not even most) sci-fi and fantasy releases, new authors, new series, old series and special editions with publication dates for the UK & USA. I'll try to limit new books only to authors/series/standalones that have generated some positive buzz for sheer volume's sake. I'll also try and update the list at least once weekly with links to reviews & new additions. At the end of the current month I'll extend the list a month forward.
Any help, suggestion about books, corrections etc are more than welcome.

2. Recommendations?
Been to amazon? Seen their listmania? Well, the same principle, but done by the extremely fine gentlemen from D&D. I'm still unclear on the exact format, I was considering opening one genre per week(e.g. Week 1 - Epic, Week 2 - Speculative etc) and adding all poster suggestions(5 per poster) with a counter for votes for every one. At the end of the week, we retain the top 10 or less and I spoiler it in the second post as D&D's best of the sub-genre. Again, open to suggestions on how to do this. We should figure it out by Monday.

3. Discuss?

All genre books that don't have their own thread could fall in here, as well as general sci-fi/fantasy rambling extending to all sorts of entertainment/media.

Current D&D threads:
George RR Martin - ASoIaF - HBO series
George RR Martin - ASoIaF - Books
Steven Erikson - Malazan
An abortion of a thread about unspeakable evil.(Legend of the Seeker)
Wheel of Time gets movie deal
We love Gene Wolfe!

Enjoy.

Releases - January - March 2009
Spoiler:

zeeny on

• zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    .:: D&D's Fantasy/Sci-fi recommendation lists ::.

The format of every line is:
    Author - Series/Title - Genre - Number of votes - Users that recommended the book(s).

Username link leads to short description of the series, if one was posted when voting.

Current list - Alphabetical order
    Spoiler:

Current list - Order by votes->alphabetical:
    Spoiler:

Current list - Order by genre->votes->alphabetical:
    Spoiler:

• CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thanks for this. I often find it hard to keep up to date with quality releases. I usually only discover stuff like ASoIaF and Malazan several years after they're released.

All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is The Aspect Emperor coming out worldwide, or in certain countries earlier?

camo_sig2.png
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm curious about Morgan's fantasy book. I know he gets some flack, but I still really enjoyed Altered Carbon. And Kim Harrison's books are some of the better in the whole 'urban fantasy' genre.

Spoiler:
    edited January 2009
    Uk has it 3 weeks earlier. Edited the date in.

edited January 2009
    noir_blood wrote: »
    I'm curious about Morgan's fantasy book. I know he gets some flack, but I still really enjoyed Altered Carbon. And Kim Harrison's books are some of the better in the whole 'urban fantasy' genre.

I haven't read them. I have a bit of a fear when I hear Urban Fantasy. I tried Dresden, loved it. Then tried the Anita Blake series. OUCH.
    Illona Andrews was a lucky buy at a station and it was very good fun, loved the idea of magic/tech waves, kind of reminded me of the Coldfire series.
    I've also heard good things about Patricia Briggs and she's next on my list, may try Kim Harrison after that.

Edit: And as I said, The Steel Remains reads like his usual book does, but in a fantasy setting. If you liked Altered Carbon, 13 etc, it won't disappoint.

• Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I like the weekly suggestions type of thing, but I'm probably going to go on a massive trawl of my bookshelves for material to add to this.

Also, you could add the D&D Book of the New Sun thread to the OP.

Note to self: mention the TPs (Tim Powers/Terry Pratchett), Ringworld?

• AntimatterAntimatter if you want to talk to me look elsewhere.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ISAAC ASIMOV'S ROBOTS/EMPIRE/FOUNDATION SERIES

That is my number one recommendation for someone who likes sci-fi and has a lot of spare time on their hands. In addition to the main stories, there are short stories in various collections, as well as books that could be considered tie-ins, but aren't necessary. If you do complete the entire series, you need to get your hands on a copy of The End of Eternity and read it last. This is important, because it will blow your mind after spending all that time on the main series. I refuse to spoil why this is key. Also, any of his Multivac stories are great fun.

edited January 2009
    Done. Added Wolfe.
    Also, I don't think there is any problem with MANY suggestions. Let's just agree on a format of how to sort out the recommendations list and I'd say the more you trawl your bookshelves, the better.

edited January 2009
    Might be a useful site to have a link to

Lots of good information/contests for books/etc goes up there. The guy who runs it posts at a site I work at with a decent fantasy section where some authors have registered and done Q&As and such.

camo_sig2.png
  • skyybahamutskyybahamut Registered User
    edited January 2009
    Have to mention Dresden Files.

Book 11, Turn Coat comes out on April 7th.

Edit: Also Patrick Rothfuss' 2nd book comes out in April

This signature is for SCIENCE!
    edited January 2009

I'll add all april books start of February, but information is always appreciated.

Nope, that date is wrong. It got delayed. Again. Indefinitely. That Kingkiller trilogy sure starts to look like a pain in the ass.

Jragghen, I was thinking of linking reviews from Pat's place, Werthead & Jay Tomio's blogs etc, but you're probably right and it's a good idea to have links in the OP to all those places. Will get to it tomorrow.

• AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Anathem, by Neal Stephenson is amazing. It's a behemoth, with 800 pages + 3 mathematical/logic treatises in the back but oh my lord it's a great book. I think it was released past few months.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Since I never see anyone mention it other than me, I have to plug The Lost Fleet saga by Jack Campbell. Fun little military sci-fi series that reminded me a lot of Battlestar Galactica.

Book 5, Relentless comes out April 28th. (starts with Dauntless)

I love the upcoming release section of the OP, BTW. Good work putting it together. And thanks for reminding me that a new Dresden book is coming out, 'cause that means the last one is coming out in paperback soon.

camo_sig2.png
    edited January 2009
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I love the upcoming release section of the OP, BTW. Good work putting it together. And thanks for reminding me that a new Dresden book is coming out, 'cause that means the last one is coming out in paperback soon.

Yup, I had it originally in the OP(3rd of March is the date), but then decided new releases only. Is it a good idea to include first time paperbacks as new releases?
    Aegis wrote: »
    Anathem, by Neal Stephenson is amazing. It's a behemoth, with 800 pages + 3 mathematical/logic treatises in the back but oh my lord it's a great book. I think it was released past few months.

I love Stephenson and that's on my To Read list. The Brian D'Amato's book in the upcoming releases is supposed to be similar in style, but honestly, I don't buy it.

• noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    zeeny wrote: »

I'll add all april books start of February, but information is always appreciated.

Nope, that date is wrong. It got delayed. Again. Indefinitely. That Kingkiller trilogy sure starts to look like a pain in the ass.

Jragghen, I was thinking of linking reviews from Pat's place, Werthead & Jay Tomio's blogs etc, but you're probably right and it's a good idea to have links in the OP to all those places. Will get to it tomorrow.

Dammit, I got all excited for nothing it seems. I loved Name of the Wind, and when I saw the post about April, I was all "Oh shit, I thought it was going to be a longer wait..wee!"

Only to have my dreams crushed. Why does good fantasy(and Wheel of Time) take so long??

Spoiler:
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Alright, I've got to talk about this dude right now, because I love him and no one's ever heard of him.

Tim Powers
    Spoiler:
    (Powers is the guy that's about to give Cape Boy a taste of the curb.)

This is a direct quote from him, which sums up his writing style:

"I made it an ironclad rule that I could not change or disregard any of the recorded facts, nor rearrange any days of the calendar - and then I tried to figure out what momentous but unrecorded fact could explain them all."

Powers' brilliance is in writing historical fantasy--he takes real-world events and invents a highly logical backstory for the real, supernatural story behind events like the fall of the Soviet Union and the construction of Las Vegas.

Here are the novels he has written, with synopses stolen taken FantasticFiction.co.uk (which was the only site that had half-decent ones).
    Spoiler:

edited January 2009
    Also, this isn't quite scifi or fantasy, but holy shit, while we're on the topic of Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon is a brilliant book. I like it even better than Snow Crash.

edited January 2009
    Also, this isn't quite scifi or fantasy, but holy shit, while we're on the topic of Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon is a brilliant book. I like it even better than Snow Crash.

Basically anything by Neal Stephenson is by definition awesome.

• ApplekingAppleking __BANNED USERS
    edited January 2009
    no idea......

Your sig was too tall. -Thanatos
  • Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sci fi has become a guilty pleasure as of late, but besides what you put down, here's basically the best kid's series fucking ever. EVER.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_Sky

The desire to deprive some of our citizens of their rights—economic, civic or political—has the same basic motivation as actuates the Fascist mind when it seeks to dominate whole peoples and nations.
    edited January 2009
    Has anyone read anything by K.J.Parker? I picked up Devices and Desires for something completely new and know nothing of the author. Seems to be Sci-Fi-ish.

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    noir_blood wrote: »
    zeeny wrote: »

Dammit, I got all excited for nothing it seems. I loved Name of the Wind, and when I saw the post about April, I was all "Oh shit, I thought it was going to be a longer wait..wee!"

Only to have my dreams crushed. Why does good fantasy(and Wheel of Time) take so long??

Indefinitely? Are you sure it didn't just get delayed to April 2009 like the Authors blog says?

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

New Neal Stephenson book? Fuck yeah.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    edited January 2009
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The subcaption helps let people know why that comic is relevant.

edited January 2009
    While yes, that comic is slightly relevant, the book does turn out to be rather good. It can be confusing at times, mind you.

• QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy

800px-HisDarkMaterialsUS.jpg

The Golden Compass is downright amazing. The Subtle Knife is awesome. The Amber Spyglass is pretty cool.

The trilogy focuses on a girl named Lyra, who lives in an alternate universe with airships, witches, animal spirits called dæmons, a hegemonic Catholic Church, and talking, armored motherfucking polar bears.

Fans of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past will appreciate the titular item of the second book—a knife that can cut between parallel universes. The trilogy closes with some admittedly over-the-top bullshit, but it's still one of the most creative and immersive fantasy series I've read.

• The Neverending Story

TheNeverendingStory1997Edition.jpg

If you're over 25 and/or a hipster you've probably seen the awesome movie, with Atreyu the quasi-Indian, Falkor the (dog) luckdragon, that awesome giant stone dude ("They used to be such strong hands!") and the most trippy villain of all, The Nothing.

All of these things are in the book—and much more. But the movie is really a poor approximation of the book. For one thing, it's an 80's fantasy movie rendition of the text. For another thing, it only covers half of the book's text (and no, the two sequels to the movie do not actually exist).

The book has the sprawling, whimsical creativity of a classic fairy tale. But the characters are actually interesting, especially the hero, Bastian Balthazar Bux. (Judging from the movie, you would never know what happens to him in the second half of the book.) I also love the way the book plays with its own format, like an Ouroboros. The writing is translated from German, but I think it reads very well.

• The House of the Scorpion

TheHouseoftheScorpion.jpg

This is an excellent YA sci-fi book. It takes place in a near-future Mexico ruled entirely by a Pharaoh-like drug lord. The main character is a clone, and in this world clones are treated like animals. It's not action-packed or anything, but it's one of the most poignant kids' sci-fi/fantasy books I've read. The setting is also pretty cool.

• The Tombs of Atuan

TheTombsOfAtuan.jpg

This is the second book in Ursula LeGuin's Wizard of Earthsea series (now totaling four books). It's the only one that I really liked. The others are kind of bland. This one takes place almost entirely in a magical tomb. The main character is a savage woman named Tenar. The atmosphere of the book is incredibly oppressive and lonely, but the story arc is enlightening.

• The Bartimaeus Trilogy

Amuletsamarkand.jpg, etc.

I liked these books, which are a coming-of-age story of a young magician in a parallel universe that actually explores the political implications of having a class of people with the ability to, you know, do magic and shit. In other words, it's a much more cynical setting than Harry Potter.

The metaphysics of the book are also interesting: magic is entirely the work of demons; a magician simply summons them and binds them to his will. The narrator is one such demon, Bartimaeus. His narration style is wise-ass and filled with snarky footnotes; I liked it.

I wouldn't say they're top-tier fantasy books, but I'd recommend them to anyone who likes the genre.

• Eragon

Eragon_book_cover.png

This book is pretty much a straightforward ripoff of Lord of the Rings and Ursula LeGuin's Wizard of Earthsea books.

Fuck this book, and fuck Christopher Paolini for getting published 10 years before I ever will.

• Other things I didn't like or hated, in addition to Eragon:
    The Dark is Rising (sort of cool, but has very muddled metaphysics)
    Artemis Fowl (is like all the worst aspects of an Invader Zim episode)
    Narnia (Voyage of the Dawn Treader was pretty awesome but fuck Christianity)
    His Majesty's Dragon (alternate-universe Napoleanic wars with dragons ... it's about as good as it sounds)

Edit for voting:
    • !add His Dark Materials (YA)
    • !add The Neverending Story (YA)
    • !add The House of the Scorpion (YA)
    • !add The Bartimaeus Trilogy (YA or urban)
    • !add The Tombs of Atuan (no clue—swords and sorcery, as defined?)

• !vote for Amber.

edited January 2009
    I'm leery of Anathem based on this.
    Spoiler:

I got about 3 chapters into this book before I gave up for that exact reason. Hell it even came with a CD that was supposed to put you into the mood for reading the damn thing.

Read it...read it and finish it. Just to spite me.

edited January 2009
    I second The Neverending Story.

His Dark Materials was good, but got waaaaaaay too blatant in its message in a really, really stupid way at the end,

camo_sig2.png
    edited January 2009
    Sci fi has become a guilty pleasure as of late, but besides what you put down, here's basically the best kid's series fucking ever. EVER.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_Sky
    What an obscure goddamn book; unavailable at my library and at Amazon. But it sounds completely awesome. Do you have any idea how you got your copy?

edited January 2009
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I second The Neverending Story.

His Dark Materials was good, but got waaaaaaay too blatant in its message in a really, really stupid way at the end,
    Agreed.
    Spoiler:

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I would recommend anything by John Varley.

Titan/Demon/Wizard is probably his most famous stuff, but The Golden Globe and Steel Beach are excellent as are Red Thunder/Red Lightning/Rolling Thunder are mostly very good. The preachy holy shit Katrina/9-11/Bush sucks bits of Red Lightning are tiresome, but otherwise all of that series is very very good, especially Red Thunder.

Lose: to suffer defeat, to misplace (Ex: "I hope I don't lose the match." "Did you lose your phone again?")
    Loose: about to slip, to release (Ex: "That knot is loose." "Loose arrows.")
  • mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thread needs more Locke Lamora.

Cover:
    Spoiler:

Think Ocean's 11 in a medieval fantasy version of Venice. The second book in the series is out. The third was set for February 2009 but seems to have gotten delayed.

sig3_zpsdb7d59bd.jpg
  • Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Spoiler:

I got about 3 chapters into this book before I gave up for that exact reason. Hell it even came with a CD that was supposed to put you into the mood for reading the damn thing.

The audiobook is great; I listened to it at work for a few weeks. Overall the book has a wonderful arc, and its sci-fi ending is surprisingly interesting after so much philosophy. Feels like it ends too quickly once you get there, but goddamn if it isn't just a really unique story.

"Famished dogs follow slowly as my own paws drag me to a dock, / to the last plank where I struggle to deny myself the path that every Pisces craves, /
    ... and I cough for every crater that I could see, / on the surface of that coffin we've come to call the moon." Circle Takes the Square
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS
    edited January 2009
    I would recommend anything by John Varley.

Titan/Demon/Wizard is probably his most famous stuff, but The Golden Globe and Steel Beach are excellent as are Red Thunder/Red Lightning/Rolling Thunder are mostly very good. The preachy holy shit Katrina/9-11/Bush sucks bits of Red Lightning are tiresome, but otherwise all of that series is very very good, especially Red Thunder.

His latest stuff is kinda crappy. The Titan trilogy is probably his best work. I really like his collections of short stories, and Steel Beach.

edited January 2009
    Dyrwen66 wrote: »
    Spoiler:

The audiobook is great; I listened to it at work for a few weeks. Overall the book has a wonderful arc, and its sci-fi ending is surprisingly interesting after so much philosophy. Feels like it ends too quickly once you get there, but goddamn if it isn't just a really unique story.

Wait hold the phone. It comes with a CD?! I swore there wasn't anything like that in my copy, that would have been awesome :(

edited January 2009
    Are the latter Ringworld books any good? I enjoyed Ringworld but it seems like there's a zillion of them.

edited January 2009
    Dyrwen66 wrote: »
    Spoiler:

Wait hold the phone. It comes with a CD?! I swore there wasn't anything like that in my copy, that would have been awesome :(

I got mine form the my local bookstore lady. It was a loner, but I'll see if I can get a picture of the book tomorrow and put it on my photobucket.

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Chasm_City_cover_(Amazon).jpg

READ THIS BOOK

IT IS AWESOME

sig.png