As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Japanimation] Quarantine Thread

• Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Arkady wrote: »
    I'm sorry but after Evangelion, Gunbuster, Diebuster, and FLCL I can't NOT think they're going to do the fanservice Gainaxing bullshit with every female.

No excuse. Don't talk shit about something you haven't watched. Despite how every youtube you've linked ever has been a visual and aural abortion, you won't see me wandering around internet forums pissing all over Go Nagai.
    I have watched it. jsut because someone didn't watch something all the way through doesn't give you a free pass to say their opinion is invalidated.

True, but it isn't like we don't have piles of past history here to go on with regards to you specifically.
    Oh right because I'm such a damn troll, huh. HE'S DIFFERENT HE SUCKS

As has been said, your opinion is invalid because there is no rhyme or reason to anything you like.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Greeper wrote: »
    I'm sorry but after Evangelion, Gunbuster, Diebuster, and FLCL I can't NOT think they're going to do the fanservice Gainaxing bullshit with every female.

No excuse. Don't talk shit about something you haven't watched. Despite how every youtube you've linked ever has been a visual and aural abortion, you won't see me wandering around internet forums pissing all over Go Nagai.
    I have watched it. jsut because someone didn't watch something all the way through doesn't give you a free pass to say their opinion is invalidated.

True, but it isn't like we don't have piles of past history here to go on with regards to you specifically.

that is not why you suck.
    This is exactly how the traitors treated me after i admitted to not fondling EVA imporperly.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Okay, Shrimpy. We're traitors too. You can go now.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Perhaps you should quit it with the persecution complex?

Slicer on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    More like every time they mentioned Eva you would yell for five minutes about how horrible it is. Finally they snapped and yelled at you.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Zandracon wrote: »
    Joule wrote: »
    Ergandar wrote: »
    Ah, this thread has blossomed into maturity, unlike Clawshrimpy.

PIKAPUFF

RECOMMEND ME HAREM SHOWS

I have seen: Tenchi Muyo Ryo-Ohki

I have read: Negima, Love Hina

Seto no Hanayome
    Shuffle
    Maburaho
    DearS
    Ouran Host Club

Favourites being Seto no Hanayome (it's more general hilarity than harem really), Ouran and dearS (OP lyrics are the best, "I'm your slave").

So I'm intending to start watching Strike Witches to see what it's all about.

Huh, you think Zetsubou Sensei would be considered harem?

I've seen Ouran and Zetsubou, sorry I forgot to mention that.

Although the new Naruto ED is essentially tapping into the "Haruhi-style" of OP/ED(whatever the hell that means), the real entertaining part is Gai and Lee being idiots.

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

This is exactly how the traitors treated me after i admitted to not fondling EVA imporperly.

IMPORPERLY IS NOT A WORD

I fucking HATE EVA

but not as much as I hate YOU

There are 387.44 million miles of printed circuits in wafer thin layers that fill my complex. If the word 'hate' was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for clawshrimpy at this micro-instant. Hate. Hate.

Greeper on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Guys, anime has being doing the whole "girls dancing in the ED" thing long before Haruhi.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    QuentinQuentin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Considering how often this seems to happen, have you ever considered that it might not be what you're interested in, but you?

Quentin on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I just outed myself as an AI didn't I?

Shit.

Greeper on
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Excuse me?

Are you equating treason with people enjoying one robot show over "your" robot show?

what?

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I think Eva is godawful and probably the worst anime I've seen. And yet here we are, a 100 page thread and not a single one of them devoted to my hate for Evangelion. How many pages of this thread are devoted to how god damn ridiculous you are because you endlessly bitch about the same shit and we are too god damn stupid to just put you on ignore? About 30%. Think about that. 30% of a 100 page thread is devoted to how much of a failure you are because you won't shut the god damn hell up over the same god damn shit you cluttered 30% of the last fucking thread with.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Quentin wrote: »
    Considering how often this seems to happen, have you ever considered that it might not be what you're interested in, but you?
    ut this loops around to the whole "My opinions are wrong" bullshit I don't believe in.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Quentin wrote: »
    ut this loops around to the whole "My opinions are wrong" bullshit I don't believe in.

Your opinions are not wrong.

I love your opinions clawshrimpy. They're great.

Everything else about you is wrong.

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Every time I want to talk about a show I like, I get buried under all this other talk like GL hype, or people going on about the lateast episode of Gundamoo, or Macross Frontier being great, nope, no love for Votoms, No love for old classics, or anything else.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Guys, I already know the ending to this story.

Clawshrimpy keeps bitching about our opinions

We as gullible idiots take the bait and pursue this pointless squabble

Tube come in here and either A) warns Clawshrimpy for the third time to cut that shit out, B) outright bans Clawshrimpy to save him from trekking through this thread (unlikely, but possible), or C) puts an end to the anime thread altogether because we can't pack our shit up and move on.

I honestly think if we keep this up we've a good shot of losing the anime thread altogether.

So stop the madness.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Every time I want to talk about a show I like, I get buried under all this other talk like GL hype, or people going on about the lateast episode of Gundamoo, or Macross Frontier being great, nope, no love for Votoms, No love for old classics, or anything else.

I'm sure there's people who love those shows. I don't know any.

talking about things in a place where nobody likes those things is not good.

perhaps you should stop shitting on other people's shows and be reasonable.

then once you've gained everybody's trust convince them to watch these old shows.

AS TVTROPES WOULD SAY: ALL ACCORDING TO KEIKAKU

Greeper on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    No I think that awesome Jam Project song beats out musicwise the series that had the most painful Engrish rap song, that spawned the worst forced meme ever.

ITT Clawshrimpy Roh Roh's; Fights the Powa.

I have told you this before Clawshrimpy, and I am telling you again:

IF THERE IS A THREAD WHERE SOMETHING IS GOING ON AND SOMEONE SAYS SOMETHING THAT ANNOYS ME BUT I KNOW IT WILL JUST START A GIANT SHIT-FEST, I DON'T BOTHER POSTING ABOUT IT.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009

That's because this isn't the silent movies thread, and current events always wins.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited January 2009

then once you've gained everybody's trust convince them to watch these old shows.

The only way I can convice GL fans to like other SR shows is to convince people that GL is terrible (as it was mad by one of the worst production companies in the industry.) and well, obvious rage from the lost friend of the EVA days still huants me and all and old habits die hard, and I feel like nothing else can be done with the "HURF DURF GL IS THE ONLY SR SGHOW WORTH WATCHING."

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Guys, anime has being doing the whole "girls dancing in the ED" thing long before Haruhi.

BTW, this is the best dancing OP

Now and forever.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

The only way I can convice GL fans to like other SR shows is to convince people that GL is terrible (as it was mad by one of the worst production companies in the industry.) and well, obvious rage from the lost friend of the EVA days still huants me and all and old habits die hard, and I feel like nothing else can be done with the "HURF DURF GL IS THE ONLY SR SGHOW WORTH WATCHING."

That's because it is.

But, c'mon, you're being deliberately dense. Nobody on the fucking planet is like you. No one would say that once you watch one show in a genre that's it it doesn't get better.

I know I'm MORE likely to watch other super robot shows now that I've seen Gurren Lagann, because I know there's quality in the genre.

But just to spite you, now I won't.

Except EVA. I will watch EVA 1 billion times.

Greeper on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I cannot think of a worse way of going about it. Instead of saying "hey guys, if you liked Gurren Lagann, check this show out!" you think your only option is to say "GURREN LAGANN IS THE SHITTIEST SHIT EVER SHAT OUT A BUTT GO WATCH THIS INSTEAD CAUSE IT'S NOT SO SHITTY AND TERRIBLE LIKE GURREN LAGANN"?

If someone seriously says that no other mech show is worth watching, feel free to call them close-minded idiots, but don't automatically assume that everyone loves GL too much to EVER watch another show in the genre! That's UTTER MADNESS!

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Clawshrimpy, when has anyone, anyone in the history of these threads, said that Gurren Lagann was the only super robot show worth watching?

Show me. Show me the post.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

That's because it is.

But, c'mon, you're being deliberately dense. Nobody on the fucking planet is like you. No one would say that once you watch one show in a genre that's it it doesn't get better.

I know I'm MORE likely to watch other super robot shows now that I've seen Gurren Lagann, because I know there's quality in the genre.

But just to spite you, now I won't.

Except EVA. I will watch EVA 1 billion times.
    POeople do say this. it's happened to me IRL. I hate GL for the stupid fanbase of the GAINAX cult. and it's not like I'm saying that there is one BEST SHOW EVER in SUper Robot, to spite these people, I'm saying there are several Super Robot Productions that were better than it. hence my intial "Gurren Lagann is nother GaoGaiGar didn't do better back in 1997."

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I loved Gurren Lagann. It wasn't perfect, but it was a lot of fun.

Although I hated
    the ending. Why did Nia have to die? It seemed to subvert the whole "go beyond the impossible and kick reason to the curb" thing they had going there.

Also, nearly teared up at seeing Viral's dream. So sad :(

Also, guys, just please ignore him. Half the time this starts up because somebody has to make some snide remark about Shrimpy, and then he has to go defend himself, and we're back in this same mess all over again.

So please, just stop. Put him in your ignore list if you have to.

Kaboodles_The_Assassin on
    sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Clawshrimpy, when has anyone, anyone in the history of these threads, said that Gurren Lagann was the only super robot show worth watching?

Not explicitly in this thread, but still, people treated Mazinger Z like shit when I was talking about it, as well as Getter, so it's inferred.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    POeople do say this. it's happened to me IRL. I hate GL for the stupid fanbase of the GAINAX cult. and it's not like I'm saying that there is one BEST SHOW EVER in SUper Robot, to spite these people, I'm saying there are several Super Robot Productions that were better than it. hence my intial "Gurren Lagann is nother GaoGaiGar didn't do better back in 1997."
    I would like you to meet Mr. Period and his friends capital letter and proper spelling.
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/11/03/

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Although I hated
    the ending. Why did Nia have to die? It seemed to subvert the whole "go beyond the impossible and kick reason to the curb" thing they had going there.

That was kind of the point. If he had kicked reason to the curb and brought Nia back, then spiral power would have gotten out of control and destroyed the universe. By showing restraint and not saving her, he effectively kept the anti-spiral's prediction from coming true.

Sometimes you have to know when not to kick reason to the curb.

Also, yes, Viral's dream was so sad ;__;

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Not explicitly in this thread, but still, people treated Mazinger Z like shit when I was talking about it, as well as Getter, so it's inferred.

Because if we don't like two absolutely ancient examples of the genre, we must hate the rest of it. Fuck no it isn't inferred.

And as for your other post, guess what? We aren't the people who are telling you these things "IRL". So don't take out your rage boner you got for them out on us.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Although I hated

Also, guys, just please ignore him. Half the time this starts up because somebody has to make some snide remark about Shrimpy, and then he has to go defend himself, and we're back in this same mess all over again.

So please, just stop. Put him in your ignore list if you have to.

Gurren Lagann ending:
    Nia didn't have to die, but she did. Simon will do anything to save a life, but he won't stand in the way of someone's sacrifice. He recognizes that although he might have the power to bring back the dead, it's a lot different from saving a life, and he isn't in fact God. In some ways the secondary theme of the whole show is: People die, they have to, the next generation has to take its place eventually. Or you end up like Lordgenome.

There was the implication that Simon could have saved Kamina, Nia, and Kittan and everyone else, but he would have turned into something worse than Lordgenome or even the Anti-Spirals.

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Maybe it's because you're so goddamned confrontational about it. To get people to give some other show they've never heard of a chance, it's not a good idea to shit all over something they do like. You don't have to come in guns blazing and insult everyone who disagrees with you, it only makes them see whatever you post negatively.

In effect, you're souring every single person who reads this thread on anything you post, because you're acting like an idiot.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Behemoth wrote: »

Although I hated

That was kind of the point. If he had kicked reason to the curb and brought Nia back, then spiral power would have gotten out of control and destroyed the universe. By showing restraint and not saving her, he effectively kept the anti-spiral's prediction from coming true.

Sometimes you have to know when not to kick reason to the curb.

Also, yes, Viral's dream was so sad ;__;

Yes, I know
    Nia's death was justifiable in the the context of the story, but why did the story exactly have to go in that direction? I mean, we have machines powered by human spirit and giant mecha throwing galaxies and the Big Bang at each other.

Curse you Gainax! :x

Kaboodles_The_Assassin on
    sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    But you can't eve really call GL Super Robot anyway, it's missing a Rocket Punch, Chest Beam, a variety of different attacks other than drills and sunglasses, and well, it doesn't even have an eye beam! SUper Robots are supposed to have an ansenal of a variety of weapons, not that same one of different sizes.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    Tube come in here and either A) warns Clawshrimpy for the third time to cut that shit out, B) outright bans Clawshrimpy to save him from trekking through this thread (unlikely, but possible), or C) puts an end to the anime thread altogether because we can't pack our shit up and move on.

I honestly think if we keep this up we've a good shot of losing the anime thread altogether.

So stop the madness.

Which is retarded. If someone is trolling the shit out a thread they should just get kicked off for a week or so.

If you keep this shit up Clawshrimpy in the next thread I am reporting you because we shouldn't have to put up with you begging for attention.

Kelor on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    But you can't eve really call GL Super Robot anyway, it's missing a Rocket Punch, Chest Beam, a variety of different attacks other than drills and sunglasses, and well, it doesn't even have an eye beam!

IN YOUR MINE OPINIONS

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    But you can't eve really call GL Super Robot anyway, it's missing a Rocket Punch, Chest Beam, a variety of different attacks other than drills and sunglasses, and well, it doesn't even have an eye beam!

You're right, what was I thinking.

It all makes sense now.

I'm going to go watch GGG, how could I be so blind?

Greeper on
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Although I hated

In my opinion, Nia's death actually fit the show very well, though it's not obvious at first. The running theme with all of GL's antagonists is that they're unwilling to take risks to achieve progress. When push comes to shove, they give up on their ambitions and just hold tightly to what they have.

Conversely, GL's protagonists are all about making sacrifices for progress. They obtain Dai Gurren at the cost of Kamina's life, beat Lord Genome at the cost of the Dai Gurren and many anonymous fighters, give up their lives fighting the Anti Spirals, and even abandon their perfect dream worlds for the opportunity to win.

Simon having to choose between Nia and the universe is the last step of this. Choosing to give up on his quest would've made him just like Rossiu's priest, Lord Genome, and the Anti Spirals. Instead, he accepted that Nia's death was the price of victory.

Cantide on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    But you can't eve really call GL Super Robot anyway, it's missing a Rocket Punch, Chest Beam, a variety of different attacks other than drills and sunglasses, and well, it doesn't even have an eye beam! SUper Robots are supposed to have an ansenal of a variety of weapons, not that same one of different sizes.

Why do I even bother trying to communicate with you, when you don't listen to anything anyone tells you?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So, new thread time? I typed up an OP, which is probably complete shit, but honestly nobody reads OPs anyway.

juice for jesus on
This discussion has been closed.